• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

School Shooting at Elementary School in Connecticut [27+ dead including 20+ children]

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
New York affiliate is saying multiple fatalities. Nothing's been confirmed.

Shambles

Assuming no one gives a shit about the teachers and staff is bitter nonsense.

Since you want to drag this out.

It's very clear what many posters in this thread think is important and what is not. It's sad that people have been conditioned to think that one persons life is inherently more valuable to another. The truth is all lives are important and the loss of one adult is just as much a tragedy as a child. The death of either leaves a gaping hole in the lives of those who care for that individual.

Kwhit10

WFSB in CT will not report any other deaths beside the gunman, they keep saying there are grim reports but they are unconfirmed and have not said on the air that anyone else is dead.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
How many of these spree killings/mass shootings involve illegal guns, compared to legally owned weapons?

Good question. You'd have to take into account every murder that was due to a person with a gun in the US.

It's very clear what many posters in this thread think is important and what is not. It's sad that people have been conditioned to think that one persons life is inherently more valuable to another. The truth is all lives are important and the loss of one adult is just as much a tragedy as a child. The death of either leaves a gaping hole in the lives of those who care for that individual.

This has been covered earlier. Children are seen as the most vulnerable members of society, innocent and defenceless.

So of course people are going to get concerned about them in particular, but that does not negate worry about victims of any age.

Yoritomo

I'm for one not calling for a ban on guns.

Better control would be appreciated.

True, people kill people regardless of the tools.

Wouldn't it be better if they had less effective tools?

It would be better if the situations that led up to the mass shooting didn't happen. It would be better if they weren't talked about in the media for weeks. It would be better if we didn't elevate them to something above/below human and make a object of pure fear out of them. With each mass shooting we fuel the courage/emotional ability to achieve catharsis and power of the next mass shooter.

TheContact

People are going to come in here and say "this is a bad time to talk about gun control, think about the families they don't want to hear this" yet there will never be a gun control topic because people fucking love their guns and won't admit that even assholes can get them and do bad things with them

daw840

As a parent, this is very terrifying and sad. I really hope there are no child deaths. What the fuck is going through your head tondo this at an elementary school. Torture is too good for this man.

People are going to come in here and say "this is a bad time to talk about gun control, think about the families they don't want to hear this" yet there will never be a gun control topic because people fucking love their guns and won't admit that even assholes can get them and do bad things with them

How about asshole and maniac control? I'm all for guns NOT being in the possession of assholes and maniacs.

Question is how to do that without infringing on the rights of non-assholes and non-maniacs.

And ugh, just found out my fiancee's little cousin is at that school.

Kwhit10

CBS has now confirmed that at least one child is dead.

This is horrible.

NEWTOWN—
Multiple people, including children, have been killed in a shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

The number of victims is unclear. Many of the shootings took place in a kindergarten classroom, sources said.

WTF seriously

I guess if no one wants to talk about gun controls, then maybe we should talk about locking down schools during school hours. Theres very little need for anyone off the streets to go into a school during school time so why not have them locked and only opened for prior appointment once school has started.

Of course this doesn't work for anything where students are older and can come and go as they please but its something.

I guess if no one wants to talk about gun controls, then maybe we should talk about locking down schools during school hours. Theres very little need for anyone off the streets to go into a school during school time so why not have them locked and only opened for prior appointment once school has started.

Of course this doesn't work for anything where students are older and can come and go as they please but its something.

They are locked from the outside. People have to go in through the front doors and if you're there with a gun intent on killing kids I doubt the secretary is going to be able to stop you.

What's the solution for getting illegal firearms off the streets?

The logic of "if someone wants to do it then they'll do it anyway, legally or illegally" seems to suggest that nothing should ever be illegal, and that behaviors will occur with equal frequency whether they are made legal or illegal. I don't buy it.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.

A child's death is more tragic than an adult's, your view is certainly not the norm.

They are locked from the outside. People have to go in through the front doors and if you're there with a gun intent on killing kids I doubt the secretary is going to be able to stop you.

Fair enough, that makes sense. In the UK as far as im aware (been ten years since i was last at school) anyone could gain access to any room from the outside or wander the corridors. I guess in a lot of ways we're been lucky nothing serious has happened since dunblane that i can think of.

Elementary schools across the nation are locked. They talked about how this person somehow got access or had it to begin with.

daw840

How about asshole and maniac control? I'm all for guns NOT being in the possession of assholes and maniacs.

Question is how to do that without infringing on the rights of non-assholes and non-maniacs.

And ugh, just found out my fiancee's little cousin is at that school.
Oh no.....hope she/he is ok....

Elementary schools across the nation are locked. They talked about how this person somehow got access or had it to begin with.

As are middle and high schools. The only unlocked entrance in any of the buildings I've ever worked at is the main entrance that leads into the office.

MG310

Yeah, and even the main entrance at my high school had a camera and the secretary had to buzz you in after you hit the intercom.

dark_chris

Those poor kids. =(

I remember when I was in elementary school, a kid brought a gun to school and was gonna shoot some kids in my specific class but he was caught before he could do anything. No one knew until the end of that day when they gave us letters to send to our parents.

Its scary

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.

My kid's elementary school, anyone gets buzzed in and then checks in at the office, that might be all it takes.

Jarlaxle

My wife's cousin goes to the other elementary school in the district so she is in the lockdown but wasn't at the actual school thankfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom