• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man: Homecoming |OT| MCU's Sweet 16 - SPOILERS

Aunt May finds out Peter is Spider-Man through a gag that makes no sense. What 15 year old gets changed with the door to his bedroom left open? Being excited about the bag from Tony doesn't cut it, if anything that should make him more vigilant about closing the door to hide the big secret right away. What 15 year old doesn't just close the door to their bedroom as soon as they go in?
He calls out for aunt May several times (asking for dinner) and she doesn't reply. He thinks she's out, sees the bag, gets excited. I don't think that's really all that crazy when he doesn't even think she's there.

It makes no sense for him to spin around in a suit that he's worn for months unless it's to show off to someone else.
It makes even less sense for him to not even hear her walking up to him unless she was literally posted up next to the door waiting for him to spin around.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
He calls out for aunt May several times (asking for dinner) and she doesn't reply. He thinks she's out, sees the bag, gets excited. I don't think that's really all that crazy when he doesn't even think she's there.
Yeah, it's not as dumb as I was making it out to be, but it's hard for me to believe that Peter wouldn't take more precautions to protect his identity from her.

Early in the movie I said to my friend, 'he's too incompetent'. I didn't like the extent to which they showed Spidey falling to the ground and constantly messing things up in the early montages of his Spider antics. There's always some degree of inherent comedy around his everyday antics, but he seems pretty competent in this whenever he needs to be. For me they crossed a line in the degree they showed him screwing up for the sake of comedy. I prefer the humour not to be mostly slapstick about Spider-Man messing up.

It makes no sense for him to spin around in a suit that he's worn for months unless it's to show off to someone else.
It makes even less sense for him to not even hear her walking up to him unless she was literally posted up next to the door waiting for him to spin around.
It was obviously an accident
All the cues are there that it's straight comedy and he screwed up.
But you're right, it doesn't make sense. Spidey shouldn't make a mistake like that. So much for Spider sense in this take I guess.

Rimfya

Banned
Also, I guess I wasnt impressed with donald glover as I hoped I'd be. The reviews had me hyped up. Something about his character just seemed off. he wasnt bad though. I guess I expected more range from him.

and this is coming from a hugeeeeee donald glover fan.

Whatever Glover was going for, it didn't work.

Loris146

Yeah, it's not as dumb as I was making it out to be, but it's hard for me to believe that Peter wouldn't take more precautions to protect his identity from her.

Early in the movie I said to my friend, 'he's too incompetent'. I didn't like the extent to which they showed Spidey falling to the ground and constantly messing things up in the early montages of his Spider antics. There's always some degree of inherent comedy around his everyday antics, but he seems pretty competent in this whenever he needs to be. For me they crossed a line in the degree they showed him screwing up for the sake of comedy. I prefer the humour not to be mostly slapstick about Spider-Man messing up.

But you're right, it doesn't make sense. Spidey shouldn't make a mistake like that. So much for Spider sense in this take I guess.

Spider sense don't work like that. May is not a danger for Peter. I don't even know if Peter has spider sense in the MCU.

Liamc723

Where are you getting this spin from?

He turns around when he hears her presence, then she says "What the fu-".

Where are you getting this spin from?

He turns around when he hears her presence, then she says "What the fu-".

....what?
So your take on the scene is the door is open, he hears her coming and then decides to turn his back to the open door and take his mask off?

..wut?

Liamc723

....what?
So your take on the scene is the door is open, he hears her coming and then decides to turn his back to the open door and take his mask off?

..wut?

The door is open and he has his back to it, then he hears her behind him and he turns around to see her. There's no spin. He's taking his mask off as it's revealed that Aunt May is behind him.

I work at a cinema, I've seen this scene many times. I know what happens.

Uhh what dude, he never turns to face her, he takes his mask off while facing the camera and she's behind him, the camera is spinning before hand and you can clearly see him take several steps that makes him "spin" around.

Best Spidey movie I've seen so far. Some really good comedic beats and Ned was a joy as the sidekick.

Shocker felt pointless, I feel like they could have done more. What happened to him anyway after Spidey webs him?

Keaton was amazing as Vulture. In fact I loved everything about the villain and was pleasantly surprised they didn't kill him off. Sony pressured them not to?

Happy was a joy too. I really enjoyed his scenes. Aunt May could and should have been in it more. She's barely in the movie.

MJ reveal was hype too, but she's a model right? Is there a new take on the character that makes her more introverted?

I am curious, what happened to his spider sense? He had it in Civil War and with this set afterwards, felt weird that he didn't have it any more. Too many scenes where he's caught off guard by Vulture. Did they dump it up make his fight scenes more unpredictable?

Mr-Joker

Banned
Just came back from watching it....this is by far the best Spider-Man movie because it was made by someone who actually gets Spider-Man and was interested in making a Spider-Man movie rather than shove pointless product placement and waste time setting up future movies than don't exist.

I also love how we finally have a decent Flash Thomson and was actually given more screen time than in the previous Spider-Man movies, really highlights what I have been saying for years;

Sony just does not get Spider-Man and what makes him so endearing to people.

My sister was pissed they made MJ a tomboy and all anti social. I really liked the character but it’s true we never saw a proper MJ (Kirsten Dust was terrible) and it seems this one is quite different from the comics too. I liked the character regardless.

I was actually surprised when my brother told me that was "MJ" as MJ in the comic is very different from the one on screen.

I don't think that she is the actual Mary-Jane Watson and honestly I kinda hope that she doesn't as she's fine without being being to tethered to a character from the comics and should be a unique person.

I also didn’t like how Flash was in a debate team, that was weird. He was a great jerk but being a jock and in the debate team seems weird. That was my biggest pet peeve with the movie.

I dunno I found it be to okay as Flash was into Liz and from his mindset joining the debate to get closer to her and as a way of showing up Parker was how saw it and makes perfect sense.

Now all we need is for him to set up a Spider-Man fan club while still being a jerk to Parker.

Peter's Spider sense doesn't work on family and friends as he doesn't view them as a threat.

In fact his Spider sense has a quite a few weakness and has failed him number of times.

SpaceWolf

Banned
MJ reveal was hype too, but she's a model right? Is there a new iteration on the character that makes her more introverted?

If memory serves, the closest version to my mind is Ultimate Mary Jane, who's rather bookish in her own right and never indulges in modelling work.

Mary-Jane-Watson-%28Earth-1610%29.png

Personally, I really, really dig Zendaya's version of the character, I'm just hoping she'll experiment with the red hair at some point.

If memory serves, the closest version to my mind is Ultimate Mary Jane, who's rather bookish in her own right and never indulges in modelling work.

Personally, I really, really dig Zendaya's version of the character, I'm just hoping she'll experiment with the red hair at some point.

Cool. A different direction is what's needed here, so I'm happy with this.

I really liked her dry humour and quips throughout. The scene at the party with Ned and Peter was more funny than it had any right to be because of her delivery and expression.

Same with the detention scene and her drawing of Hannibal.

kiguel182

I didn’t get that Flash was in the debate team to get to Liz, that makes more sense. The idea of him being (or caring) for a debate team just goes against the jock that I have in my mind when I think of Flash. He also wasn’t a big dude.

I hope MJ gets more social and less tomboyish after this movie. She doesn’t need to be a model but I would like a less “social outcast” vibe. Classic MJ is pretty and she knows it and I like that attitude. I guess we’ll see what they do but I enjoyed her anyway and she will make a great love interest. Is just that having the name MJ carries some stuff I guess. Maybe they’ll do the classic Hollywood “girl gets dressed up and is suddenly pretty” trope but I’m not a fan of that either. We’ll see I guess. I’ll enjoy it probably, the name is just an a name in the end.

Edit: Hannibal Buress was great! I wanted to see more of him. That dude has some amazing timing.

I didn't get Flash joining the decathlon to try and hook up with Liz.

There's an earlier scene where he fails a science question, I took that along with his being part of the decathlon team as him trying to be more than just a jock but failing at both.

More bravado/confidence than actual talent or knowledge.

Sadist

I think it's best to not to directly compare the characters in Homecoming with their comicbook counterparts, because essentially they're quite different, with Michelle/MJ being being the most different. If anything, her character resembles the more anti-social, devil may care attitude of Ultimate Gwen. In Ultimate Spider-Man Gwen isn't unintelligent, but rather rebellious and mostly against sheep behaviour. She's an outcast, until she befriends Peter and MJ.

For reference: Ultimate Gwen

tumblr_m068zgtpoj1r5s8u2o1_500.png

Zendaya only resembles Ultimate MJ in intelligence, but Ultimate MJ and Ultimate Gwen made a switcharoo regarding their personalities and other character traits compared to their mainstream counterparts. Zendaya is an entirely different take on MJ. And I like it.

Only Flash bugged me. A bit too obnoxious and trying too hard. The character resembling his comic counterpart the most is Ned, which is almost a perfect copy of Ganke in Ultimate Spider-Man; except for the name he has the same personality as Ganke in the book, likes Lego and other nerdy stuff. The only difference now he's Peter's best friend and not Miles.

Great points, although that's an excellent comparison with Ultimate Gwen. The two characters seem to share much more similarities than in regards to Ultimate MJ, that's a great observation!

Here's hoping Zendaya won't end up getting eaten by Carnage in the sequel.
Well she would turn in a redhead, hur hur hur.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I think it's best to not to directly compare the characters in Homecoming with their comicbook counterparts, because essentially they're quite different, with Michelle/MJ being being the most different. If anything, her character resembles the more anti-social, devil may care attitude of Ultimate Gwen. In Ultimate Spider-Man Gwen isn't unintelligent, but rather rebellious and mostly against sheep behaviour. She's an outcast, until she befriends Peter and MJ.

Zendaya only resembles Ultimate MJ in intelligence, but Ultimate MJ and Ultimate Gwen made a switcharoo regarding their personalities and other character traits compared to their mainstream counterparts. Zendaya is an entirely different take on MJ. And I like it.

Great points, although that's an excellent comparison with Ultimate Gwen. The two characters seem to share much more similarities than in regards to Ultimate MJ, that's a great observation!

Here's hoping Zendaya won't end up getting eaten by Carnage in the sequel.

kiguel182

Volture is also loosely adapted, same as shocker. I don’t want to be the “this isn’t exactly like the comics!” dude, especially since I do enjoy this character but at the same time I also would’ve liked to see a MJ with the comics personality since the Raimi movies were terrible about that. In the end it’s good character and it fits the movie (and I think the actress pulled it off really well) and that’s what matters. I do think they can expand on her later too, this is HS after all, plenty of room to grow. I think her being less social outcast would be the way to go, while keeping the snark, the intelligence and all of that.

Also, just remembered, I was so happy with Pepper Potts showed up, such a nice surprise.

Edit: Gwen I always associated with introvert and MJ with extrovert. I hope this version has more of that in the future.

kiguel182

I hope they don’t do any “damsel in distresss” shit like Raimi did. Since MJ here seems very smart I hope she gets to be part of the action instead of being rescued all the time. Gwen was used pretty well there in ASM and I hope MJ is the same.

Also, can’t wait for the romantic triangle with Gwen. I expect a lot of drama.

Man, I wish this was a tv show.

Sadist

Volture is also loosely adapted, same as shocker. I don’t want to be the “this isn’t exactly like the comics!” dude, especially since I do enjoy this character but at the same time I also would’ve liked to see a MJ with the comics personality since the Raimi movies were terrible about that. In the end it’s good character and it fits the movie (and I think the actress pulled it off really well) and that’s what matters. I do think they can expand on her later too, this is HS after all, plenty of room to grow. I think her being less social outcast would be the way to go, while keeping the snark, the intelligence and all of that.

Also, just remembered, I was so happy with Pepper Potts showed up, such a nice surprise.

Edit: Gwen I always associated with introvert and MJ with extrovert. I hope this version has more of that in the future.
Well, one character trait this MJ does have which is somewhat comparable to mainstream MJ is that she doesn't give a fuck what everyone else thinks of her and she just keeps doing her thing. But in the end we all get to know that is a mask and she created this personality of being a carefree party girl to throw everyone off and not revealing her troubled past. It wouldn't be that surprising if Zendaya gets more screentime in the sequel and her revealing that the tough guy act is just a facade.

kiguel182

Well, one character trait this MJ does have which is somewhat comparable to mainstream MJ is that she doesn't give a fuck what everyone else thinks of her and she just keeps doing her thing. But in the end we all get to know that is a mask and she created this personality of being a carefree party girl to throw everyone off and not revealing her troubled past. It wouldn't be that surprising if Zendaya gets more screentime in the sequel and her revealing that the tough guy act is just a facade.

I definetly liked this. The “I don’t give a fuck” attitude is definetly the right one and the base the character should be built. She is good and she knows it kind of thing. Even if it’s just a facade. She is tough so it’s already more MJ than Dunst.

With more screen time next time they will have much more to play with and I hope those aspects that I mentioned are used a bit more. I don’t think she needs to be a party girl, just less introvert.

She had a lot of confidence which you are right, it’s a fundamental trait and they nailed that.

Edit: Also, the more sexual assertive side of the character is more appropriate to explore post HS. I can see that happening college years once she is officially a love interest and they are adults.

Sitting in the theater after watching this , might be my favorite MCU movie. I was fully engaged the entire time. Might go see it again tomorrow

Rran

Really happy people seem to have enjoyed this as much as I did. While a respectable number of Marvel's movies have garnered critical and consumer praise, I've nevertheless felt less enthused as the MCU progressed (perhaps a symptom of genre fatigue). But this film definitely surpassed my expectations, and I'm very much looking forward to further outings with these characters :D

volgihn

Just got out of the theater, the movie was amazing. Some of the actions scenes at night were unclear, you could hardly tell what was going on. I'll give the movie the benefit of the doubt and blame it on the movie theater. Will try to catch an imax screening tomorrow or over the weekend.

yansolo

Just watched it last night, as a Spider-Man fan I loved it, easily bests all the other films. Tom Holland just nailed Peter Parker/Spider-Man, it was like watching a live action comic book.

I wish they could've done something highlighting Pete's spider-sense, its sort of not mentioned at all

Also because I was curious, Zendaya is not "Mary-Jane" despite the "my friends call me MJ"
at the end, she is a totally different character. According to her anyway.

Veedot

This is probably my favorite film of all time topping Spider-Man 2. I never in my life would have imagined I'd be saying that vulture is the best MCU villain but he takes it for me(granted its not a high bar to top imo). And I love that they kept him alive.

Surprised how much they seemed to borrow from ultimate like ironmans suit I believe? And using the ultimate prowler to set up miles.Could have used more aunt may also. I also just couldn't give less of a shit of pepper coming back lol.

Dante316

The shocker and scorpion reveals were pretty interesting. They each have motivation now to maybe get more tech such as costumes to fight Spidey. Hopefully next movie sets up hobgoblin.

Blader

Loved it.

The "eight years later" at the start threw me. Doesn't the MCU normally move in real time? I get this movie is only two months after Civil War, which puts it in 2016, but doesn't that make it just four years later from the first Avengers?

WillyFive

Fantastic, meaty, and well done Spiderman movie. They did all new stuff for Spiderman (in movies) and really executed the character and why he was important in a universe where there are already a ton of heroes roaming around.

- Tom Holland is the best on-screen Peter Parker, ever.

- Sony really wants to tell everyone this takes place in the MCU. There were a few subtle clues scattered around the film.

- Seriously, this movie made Tom Holland seem like a very expensive actor.

- The trailers spoiled the big set pieces, which is sad because every single one is
so well done and set up that it would have been a total riot if they were true surprises.

- Speaking of surprise, the twist near the end where Vulture is revealed to be Liz's dad was phenomenal in many different ways. Not only was it not expected at all, the following two or so minutes where you don't know if it's true or not are actually intense, since you don't know if the family was kidnapped or if it's just a normal night at the house.

- Michael Giacchino did a wonderful score to the movie, the tone it gives the film makes it really special, and it helps that all the themes are really memorable.

- However, I noticed that Giacchino wrote a new theme for Iron Man. Why can't Marvel keep themes for characters around? They kept the Avengers theme in this movie, so why not use Brian Tyler's Iron Man theme like they did in Ultron? Will this mean if Giacchino can't come back for the sequel, they won't use his theme?

- Despite being in the movie for about forty seconds, Paltrow takes top billing over 80% of the cast. Why even have her there?

- Donald Glover out of nowhere playing Miles Morales' uncle.

- Peter has no spider sense?

- Jon Favreau loves playing a bumbling character.

- Iron Man's role in this was pretty well justified in the story, considering how they set up Spiderman in Civil War.

- I was surprised they kept Vulture around at the end, but it makes sense since Sony is hoping to use the villains in their ongoing attempts as Marvel keeps Spidey for their stuff. But I think the reaction to this movie will make Sony reconsider their separate universe.

- One thing I didn't like was the lack of the "from great power comes great responsibility" motivation in the part of Peter Parker. There was a scene near the end when Vulture was going to say something to that effect, but went in a different direction. The lack of Ben Parker stuff in general was unexpected, but I suppose it's not a bad decision to skip an origin told twice in films now.

So glad this movie ended up being great.

Loved it.

The "eight years later" at the start threw me. Doesn't the MCU normally move in real time? I get this movie is only two months after Civil War, which puts it in 2016, but doesn't that make it just four years later from the first Avengers?

Yeah, that part made no sense to me. Eight is a really odd number and no time does the movie make a big deal over what year it is.

Sean C

Flash too. It's gonna be bad.
People aren't going to get that worked up over Flash.

I personally wouldn't rate this at the level of the 2002 Spider-Man, which is my favourite of Raimi's films. A lot of people crown Spider-Man 2 as the peak of that franchise, but for me it was diminishing returns after the first one, because Raimi did little to vary the formula going forward. But anyway, that's a lesson that this creative team has certainly learned, because in pretty much all respects this is constructed to deliberately escape the indelible shadow of the Raimi films by trying (and largely succeeding) at doing things we haven't seen before with the character.

This ends up, in some ways, actually making this contrary to the MCU's normal modus operandi of hewing very close to the comics' template. Uncle Ben's death and his effect on Peter and May is only vaguely alluded to, and even on a visual/powers level this Spider-Man is different -- simultaneously much more high tech, but also a lot greener, and I realized we don't even get a swooping sequence of him slinging his way around skyscrapers (instead, the movie gets a lot of mileage out of what Spider-Man does when he's operating in less built-up areas).

Both previous iterations of this franchise were promoted with central romances (with Mary Jane in the first one, with Gwen in the second), this one by comparison was pitched as going for a high school movie feel, and it definitely delivers there. Peter's social circle at school is a lot wider than it was in previous movies. This also necessarily means the focus is more diffuse; we spend significantly more time with Ned (quite a fun character, and another change in the formula, giving Peter a friend who's in on the whole thing) than with either of the girls in Peter's orbit, for instance.

This movie also continues the weird trend where Iron Man's story seems to advance much more in teamup movies and cameos than in either of his own sequels. Here they wrangle Gwyneth Paltrow back into a scene to patch up Civil War's having broken her and Tony up off-camera, which was unexpected.

Michael Keaton's Vulture is quite good, easily in the top tier of MCU villains (granted, not a big achievement). Though people who insist that the MCU's greatness is directly proportional to faithfulness to the comic will either be bothered by or just ignore (as they have other MCU departures from the comics) that this version of the Vulture has virtually nothing in common with the comics version other than the basic concept of his powers.

Alright movie.

They ruined the ASM #32 moment with the shitty Tony narration.

Thought the same, but it was still well done and at least they didn't undercut an emotional moment with a joke.

Those undercut moments and the weak use of female characters are the two chief beefs I had with it.

Rran

Alright movie.

They ruined the ASM #32 moment with the shitty Tony narration.
While I wouldn't go so far as to say the scene was ruined, the voice over did somewhat hamper a bit of its emotional weight.
Still, though, watching Parker cry for help whilst buried beneath the rubble was definitely a wakeup moment for me ("oh shit, this is a 15-year-old kid here").

Top Bottom