• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man: Homecoming |OT| MCU's Sweet 16 - SPOILERS

Movie was better than I expected. Washed those Amazing Spider-Man abominations out of my memory. Tom Holland was an amazing Peter Parker.

Loved it. I'm so glad we got Peter Parker in the MCU. Tom is the best Spider-Man. Sony, stay out of the way and don't fuck this up.

Just got back from the theaters with my dad. Such a fun film and Tom is by far the best Spider-Man we've ever had. Dude crushed it in the role.

Also, loved Zendaya as MJ, but I do hope we get a light retcon in future films revealing her full name is "Michelle Mary Jane Watson." Go all the way with this, Marvel and Sony.

While I wouldn't go so far as to say the scene was ruined, the voice over did somewhat hamper a bit of its emotional weight.
Still, though, watching Parker cry for help whilst buried beneath the rubble was definitely a wakeup moment for me ("oh shit, this is a 15-year-old kid here").

Thought the same, but it was still well done and at least they didn't undercut an emotional moment with a joke.

Those undercut moments and the weak use of female characters are the two chief beefs I had with it.
I was digging the scene mostly. Hearing Peter panic was terrifying as a viewer. He's just a scared little kid. Him finding strength in seeing his reflection with the mask and realising that he is Spider-Man, on top of changing come on Peter to come on Spider-Man was a very uplifting moment. But then they had to to spell it out for you, cause hey, the audience is stupid, we need to know that Tony's words inspired him.

The scene is different in the comics with Peter finding strength because he desperately wants to save Aunt May, and that's okay, it's a different take, one is a self-confidence thing and the other is a love thing, I guess it just annoys me that on top of treating us like idiots, it has to be Iron Man's words that gives him strength.

Dai101

Banned
I'm just glad they said "fuck it" and went full on with the Aunt May is indeed hot and e,braced it making it something in the movie.

Just got back, loved it, they got both Peter and Spider-Man right in this one also introduced a bunch of characters without feeling convoluted and they also managed to throw in some surprises in there. I think it is the most solid Spider-Man film, and the best Marvel movie. Disappointed he didn't make his own suit and that Tony is his mentor, but what can you do.

I was digging the scene mostly. Hearing Peter panic was terrifying as a viewer. He's just a scared little kid. Him finding strength in seeing his reflection with the mask and realising that he is Spider-Man, on top of changing come on Peter to come on Spider-Man was a very uplifting moment. But then they had to spell out for you, cause hey, the audience is stupid, we need to know that Tony's words inspired him.

The scene is different in the comics with Peter finding strength because he desperately wants to save Aunt May, and that's okay, it's a different take, one is a self-confidence thing and the other is a love thing, I guess it just annoys me that on top of treating us like idiots, it has to be Iron Man's words that gives him strength.

Yeah, the majority of that scene is fantastic. I loved hearing the little cracks and squeaks in Tom's voice when he was losing it in that scene. Completely bought seeing Peter at his most vulnerable and that at the end of the day, he's still just a kid.

Kalentan

Two things I liked (though there is a lot more).

KAREN was awesome. Unlike others, I hope KAREN sticks around.

Vulture not giving away Peters identity at the end elevated his character for me imho.

RyanW

Loved it.

The "eight years later" at the start threw me. Doesn't the MCU normally move in real time? I get this movie is only two months after Civil War, which puts it in 2016, but doesn't that make it just four years later from the first Avengers?

You're probably not wrong about Civil War and the year it takes place but not all the MCU takes place in real time. Guardians 2 is said to take place a couple of months after the first one so that happened in 2014. Not to mention Iron Man 2, Thor, and Hulk(maybe the end of First Avenger?) all take place in the same week so the first Avengers probably took place shortly after chronologically and not necessarily in 2012 when it was released.

It's best not to think too much about it though lol

Vulture not giving away Peters identity at the end elevated his character for me imho.

Preach. KAREN was a great addition imo.

I liked the meta joke of having Jennifer Connelly do the voice.

I have no idea if the name is a reference to this or not, but it was hilariously fitting that her name is KAREN, considering...

latest

So, the reception to this movie pretty much cements that Spidey is unofficially Marvel's now, right? Sony cannot be stupid enough to try and fuck with this. Just sit back, collect money, and let Marvel use him in Avengers films.

Also, as someone who adored Raimi's Spidey 1 and 2, this has the belt as far as onscreen portrayal of the character. Such a wide range of emotions from
Holland, he was amazing. Joy, legit terror (I was scared for him when he was trapped under the debris), etc. His acting under the debris and at Liz's house with Vulture was fantastic.

So, the reception to this movie pretty much cements that Spidey is unofficially Marvel's now, right? Sony cannot be stupid enough to try and fuck with this. Just sit back, collect money, and let Marvel use him in Avengers films.

Also, as someone who adored Raimi's Spidey 1 and 2, this has the belt as far as onscreen portrayal of the character. Such a wide range of emotions from
Holland, he was amazing. Joy, legit terror (I was scared for him when he was trapped under the debris), etc. His acting under the debris and at Liz's house with Vulture was fantastic.

Yeah, no kidding. Tom is an insanely gifted actor. I'm honestly still not sure who I thought gave the stronger performance between him and Michael Keaton. The amount of detail and nuance Tom gave to his performance as Peter/Spider-Man, especially in the scenes you're referring to, is sublime.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
He was exactly like his character on Atlanta. Reviews were really hyping up his tiny part?
Thats a pretty spot on description. I love atlanta but i was totally expecting more range out of DG. He was good but nothing amazing.

Maybe the reviewers never saw atlanta.

Yeah. I liked it. It's funny how the Vulture stinger was sort of similar to Lizard's in the first Amazing Spider-Man. And I liked how overall, while not being Vulture from the comics, he's almost a blue collar Green Goblin from the first Spider-Man movie.

And KAREN is one of the few tech-y parts of his suit I liked, if only because it solves the problem of Spidey thought bubbles without having him talk to himself.

border

I still don't get what people like so much about Tom Holland. He's not bad, but seems really bland.....especially when surrounded by a bunch of much more enjoyable and quirky characters -- Ned, Michelle, and even Flash were always much more of a pleasure to spend time with than Peter. Even their coach/teacher dude (Martin Starr) is more of a lovable dork.

Kalentan

I loved the scene where Spidey testing out the suit in the Damage Control place and it seems like it's been hours and then Karen tells him it's only been like 30 minutes. xD

Buckle

Interesting take on The Vulture as a blue collar criminal thats trying to stay as under the radar as possible as an underworld merchant.

Even tries to make peace with Peter and get him to understand his situation. In a very human "come on, you're a kid. Just stop this" way.

Also never hit me until just now how appropriate it is that he scavenges weapon tech given his namesake.

Rran

And KAREN is one of the few tech-y parts of his suit I liked, if only because it solves the problem of Spidey thought bubbles without having him talk to himself.
Same, yo

...especially when surrounded by a bunch of much more enjoyable and quirky characters -- Ned, Michelle, and even Flash were always much more of a pleasure to spend time with than Peter. Even their coach/teacher dude (Martin Starr) is more of a lovable dork.
For whatever reason, I came away feeling a bit ho-hum towards this character... can't articulate exactly why, but he seemed (to me, anyway) one of the more dispensable (or easily replaceable) members of the ensemble.

WillyFive

I still don't get what people like so much about Tom Holland. He's not bad, but seems really bland.....especially when surrounded by a bunch of much more enjoyable and quirky characters -- Ned, Michelle, and even Flash were always much more of a pleasure to spend time with than Peter.

The movie was filled with excellent casting choices, but Holland steals the show. This is a guy that can compete with RDJ on screen and win.

If you think Tom was bland, what did you think of Andrew Garfield?

DJChuy

I loved it! The whole theater gasped when they found out Vulture was Liz' dad, and the whole car scene after that was tenseful and fantastic.

Action scenes were weak, but everything else was great. Peter Parker/Spider-Man's portrayal was the best I've seen.

Wtf ending is best ending.

Laieon

Andrew Garfield is still my Spiderman of choice, but I really enjoyed this movie. Not quite sold on MJ yet though. I felt like the action scenes were fairly forgettable. The scene with him fighting vulture on the plane was especially bad.

Wish we could just get a nice mix of all the Spiderman movies. I'd like the Jameson of Spiderman 1-3, the Spiderman and Gwen Stacey of The Amazing Spiderman, and the tone of Homecoming.

Ned was the best character overall.

I still don't get what people like so much about Tom Holland. He's not bad, but seems really bland.....especially when surrounded by a bunch of much more enjoyable and quirky characters -- Ned, Michelle, and even Flash were always much more of a pleasure to spend time with than Peter. Even their coach/teacher dude (Martin Starr) is more of a lovable dork.

Yeah, I felt the same way.

what did you think of Andrew Garfield?

I loved Garfield's spiderman.

Buckle

Final fight scene was kind of weird and unsatisfying.

Spider-Man movies have a lot of great acrobatics but don't think I've quite gotten that Spidey brawl I've been waiting for.

I really hope more of those Captain America videos are on the blu ray release. They were hilarious because they were accurate.

And my god, did they nail the high school tv production stuff so much. With the bad filters, camera work, and stilted delivery. So many little things throughout that were hilarious.

border

If you think Tom was bland, what did you think of Andrew Garfield?

Good Spider Man, forgettable Parker. Fun attitude, good banter and snark. Holland's Spider Man seems like a decent, stand-up guy......but without any real charm or charisma. It seems like he was always in way over his head, and never really had any confidence.

It's kinda funny that now Spider-Man is now arguably the least snarky and comedic Marvel hero.

yansolo

Final fight scene was kind of weird and unsatisfying.

Spider-Man movies have a lot of great acrobatics but don't think I've quite gotten that Spidey brawl I've been waiting for.

If there is a ever a vs. venom/carnage film, that's what I want.

JB1981

The movie was lighthearted fun and entertaining moment to moment but the more I think about it the more it just feels "thin" and none of it really lasts. There's no mythic resonance here like in the Raimi flicks. Also Vulture was a one-note villain with poorly fleshed out motivation. The character has nothing on Norman Osborn or Dr. Octavius. Holland was very enjoyable and played the part well. The high school vibe felt suitably earnest and his nerdy best friend was very funny. The movie made me laugh a lot but I also thought it lost something whenever Tony showed up. He was bailed out by Iron Man twice? And the Vulture reveal as her father doesn't really add much to the movie. It's a shocking moment to be sure but how does that enhance the character dynamic? I don't know. I liked it but the Raimi movies were more emotionally resonant

Also there is not a single standout action set piece in the whole movie

Good Spider Man, forgettable Parker. Fun attitude, good banter and snark. Holland's Spider Man seems like a decent, stand-up guy......but without any real charm or charisma. It seems like he was always in way over his head, and never really had any confidence.

It's kinda funny that now Spider-Man is now arguably the least snarky and comedic Marvel hero.

I really think we're going to get that and it's gonna be satisfying in the next one. This was all about him getting his feet under him as a superhero, and to sell that they needed him to feel like he's biting off more than he could chew and that he could legit get himself killed (see the trapped under a collapsed roof scene). I bought it.

Buckle

As someone who has never been a fan of MJ, quite liked Zendaya's character so surprisingly, I guess I can say theres finally a version of her thats won me over.

Hope they don't change a thing in the sequel.

Andrew Garfield is the Timothy Dalton of Spider-Man. And unlike Pierce Brosnon and Goldeneye, I'm hoping Homecoming isn't the peak of Tom Holland's run at the character.

Kaelan

I love the part where he tries to shoot web and swing but hes just aiming at the sky so theres nothing it can attach to. Nice nod to the video games where it had you swinging from the sky

Buckle

I love that in such a tense scene, theres a shot of Michelle just throwing Peter the middle finger.

She's such an asshole.

border

I really think we're going to get that and it's gonna be satisfying in the next one. This was all about him getting his feet under him as a superhero, and to sell that they needed him to feel like he's biting off more than he could chew and that he could legit get himself killed (see the trapped under a collapsed roof scene).

That makes sense as an introduction to the character. Of course this wasn't exactly our introduction to the character. A year ago he was cracking wise and going toe-to-toe with the best of the Avengers......so for him to spend so much time in this film fumbling feels like a backslide.

JB1981

That makes sense as an introduction to the character. Of course this wasn't exactly our introduction to the character. A year ago he was cracking wise and going toe-to-toe with the best of the Avengers......so for him to spend so much time in this film fumbling feels like a backslide.

Yea and what happened to aunt May's characterization? In CW she is shown as a hot as MILF. In this she's more eccentric seeming with large spectacles and a bit nerdy.

Kaelan

Yea and what happened to aunt May's characterization? In CW she is shown as a hot as MILF. In this she's more eccentric seeming with large spectacles and a bit nerdy.

I mean we barely knew what her characterization was in CW lol. Makes sense that she gets more developed/goes down diff paths in this movie.

Three characters make mention of how she's attractive. Maybe she dressed up for Stark last time.

Totally a fair point. They're kind of squidgy about timelines though, no? We don't know how long he'd been Spider-Man before Tony recruited him, but after kind of getting his ass kicked around in CW, we see him taking down an actual villain himself, at no small physical cost. Also, I took this as taking place in the last few weeks of the school year immediately following his return from Germany, so a direct continuation from there.

Top Bottom