• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT4| Everyone Else Would Beat Catspajamas

Zzoram

Teamliquid Page

MLG Winter Arena - Player List:

MLG Providence '11 Top 8
Leenock, Naniwa, DongRaeGu, Mvp, Huk
ca.png
, MC, Haypro, Idra
European OQ Top 8
Violet, Ret, Thorzain, Pomi, Socke, Sjow, Grubby, Merz
Korea/Taiwan OQ Top 8
Nestea, Parting, Losira, MarineKing, Oz, STC, Ganzi, San
North American OQ Top 8
Drewbie, Ddoro, Sheth, SaSe, Axslav, Artist, Minigun, DDE

Toronto, Victory Cafe, 4pm-10pm, Feb.26th, BARCRAFT:

Going:
Zzoram
Picon_small.png

Pandaman
Zicon_small.png

scogoth
Picon_small.png

mcrae
Zicon_small.png

TheNiX
Ticon_small.png

Spl1nter
Ticon_small.png

Meet at this Tim Hortons at 3pm.

Zzoram

ForGG had some dominating wins, and his Game 1 vs Leenock was very high level.

Losing to Leenock and MC, who are top 3 of their race, is nothing to be ashamed of for his first time in Code S.

Keikaku

ForGG had some dominating wins, and his Game 1 vs Leenock was very high level.

Losing to Leenock and MC, who are top 3 of their race, is nothing to be ashamed of for his first time in Code S.

Was that the one with that awesome 3CC build on Daybreak? That was pretty sweet :eek:

Zzoram

I only ever watch things live, otherwise I just check results. There is WAY too much content for me to be worried about going back to watch old games.

I'll only watch old games if they are between two players I want to see, and I read they were good games with something unusual.

Yeah but I have no hopes for him. At least ForGG had some merit.

ForGG isn't done. I think he's far too gimmicky at the wrong time, as Terran becomes more macro heavy. He'll figure it out eventually, but I don't see him dominating anytime soon.

BW players are simply not going to waltz in and dominate SC2. I know apologists will just argue that proves SC2 is a joke or whatever, but they can qq more for all I care. I briefly read a new article on TL about how no one is dominating SC2 because anyone can beat anyone. And yet three players have essentially monopolized the GSL, one of whom is still regarded as the best player in the world (MVP).

Zzoram

I find it funny that everyone talks about Nestea as if he's trash now, just because he lost a few games to MVP and GSL Koreans.

Even Idra thought he could take Nestea in GSL, then lost 0-2. Now people think Demuslim can beat Nestea at MLG? Seriously? After Nestea WON the Korean qualifiers over aLive, Ganzi, Killer, Oz, and Parting? Foreigners are so overrated.

Nestea is still the 2nd best Zerg in the world behind DRG.

Part of Nestea's problems are due to balance; it's simply hard for late game zerg to deal with terran when one of their units counters everything zerg has. But he also doesn't handle hellion pressure particularly well, and has had some recent troubles with protoss. I think it's more than fair and safe to say he's no longer quite the dominant player he once was.

Zerg is so easily harassed and fucked with that it'll be hard for any zerg to truly dominate imo, given the leaps in terran play and protoss buffs.

Zzoram

Nestea is no longer a god, but he's still easily top 3 Zerg in the world for current skill level, and still #1 for overall achievements.

Nestea will likely be the only GSL champion to ever win Code S without losing a single game.

fanboi

Banned
Nestea is no longer a god, but he's still easily top 3 Zerg in the world for current skill level, and still #1 for overall achievements.

Nestea will likely be the only GSL champion to ever win Code S without losing a single game.

If you talk only about Zergs he is no 1 yes.

If not, MVP beats him with quite a margin.

Zzoram

Ya I meant for Zerg.

MC remains the only Protoss to win GSL, and he has 2. Genius might change that if he makes it to the finals.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
ForGG isn't done. I think he's far too gimmicky at the wrong time, as Terran becomes more macro heavy. He'll figure it out eventually, but I don't see him dominating anytime soon.

BW players are simply not going to waltz in and dominate SC2. I know apologists will just argue that proves SC2 is a joke or whatever, but they can qq more for all I care. I briefly read a new article on TL about how no one is dominating SC2 because anyone can beat anyone. And yet three players have essentially monopolized the GSL, one of whom is still regarded as the best player in the world (MVP).
BW players are going to waltz in and dominate. When the actual good ones switch and they take the time to learn the meta game what matchups and map strats, etc. It's not going to happen in 1-2 seasons, but it will happen when they commit.
SC2 rewards micro and engagements over macro. It's not macro based. It's strategy and engagement based. Macro is piss easy where no one at a competitive level should have 'bad' macro.

If some 2v2 player and old terran can becomes the best zerg and terran in a few months what makes you think the good BW players will take longer?
MVP and Nestea are gone from the spotlight for me and certainly not the best players of their races.

Vaporak

BW players are going to waltz in and dominate. When the actual good ones switch and they take the time to learn the meta game what matchups and map strats, etc. It's not going to happen in 1-2 seasons, but it will happen when they commit.
SC2 rewards micro and engagements over macro. It's not macro based. It's strategy and engagement based. Macro is piss easy where no one at a competitive level should have 'bad' macro.

If some 2v2 player and old terran can becomes the best zerg and terran in a few months what makes you think the good BW players will take longer?
MVP and Nestea are gone from the spotlight for me and certainly not the best players of their races.

They did that when everyone sucked at SC2 though. I agree that the very high level broodwar players will be in a good position to do well in SC2 if they really commit to it; but the longer that takes to happen the longer it'll take them to get up to par and the better chances of some seriously good SC2 players to pop up. The only weird wrench in that will be how badly the expansions will reset the meta games.

Zzoram

I think the expansions resetting strategies and metagame is what will make it easier for Broodwar players to switch, since it negates a lot of the early bird advantage that people who switched when SC2 released got.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
They did that when everyone sucked at SC2 though. I agree that the very high level broodwar players will be in a good position to do well in SC2 if they really commit to it; but the longer that takes to happen the longer it'll take them to get up to par and the better chances of some seriously good SC2 players to pop up. The only weird wrench in that will be how badly the expansions will reset the meta games.
Consider that a lot of current top BW gamers came in when everyone was already playing BW for 6 years.
No balance changes. No patches. Just new maps.

Zzoram

Consider that a lot of current top BW gamers came in when everyone was already playing BW for 6 years.

Ya, Flash, Bisu, Jaedong, Stork, Fantasy, Effort are going to be kings once they commit to SC2.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ya, Flash, Bisu, Jaedong, Stork, Fantasy, Effort are going to be kings once they commit to SC2.
I just need to find someone with $5 million USD so I can keep BW on life support for some more years. Or convert people with SC2:BW tournies. No LAN kind of sucks though.

I really really hope Blizzard does not do some shady things to 'force' BW to stop being broadcast.

I just need to find someone with $5 million USD so I can keep BW on life support for some more years. Or convert people with SC2:BW tournies. No LAN kind of sucks though.

I really really hope Blizzard does not do some shady things to 'force' BW to stop being broadcast.

SC2:BW kinda sucks overall. I've always wanted a souped up version of BW but SC2:BW doesn't fill that void for me at all.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Part of Nestea's problems are due to balance; it's simply hard for late game zerg to deal with terran when one of their units counters everything zerg has. But he also doesn't handle hellion pressure particularly well, and has had some recent troubles with protoss. I think it's more than fair and safe to say he's no longer quite the dominant player he once was.

Zerg is so easily harassed and fucked with that it'll be hard for any zerg to truly dominate imo, given the leaps in terran play and protoss buffs.

not anymore! :D

Teamliquid Page

MLG Winter Arena - Player List:

MLG Providence '11 Top 8
Leenock, Naniwa, DongRaeGu, Mvp, Huk
ca.png
, MC, Haypro, Idra
European OQ Top 8
Violet, Ret, Thorzain, Pomi, Socke, Sjow, Grubby, Merz
Korea/Taiwan OQ Top 8
Nestea, Parting, Losira, MarineKing, Oz, STC, Ganzi, San
North American OQ Top 8
Drewbie, Ddoro, Sheth, SaSe, Axslav, Artist, Minigun, DDE

Toronto, Victory Cafe, 4pm-10pm, Feb.26th, BARCRAFT:

Going:
Zzoram
Picon_small.png

Pandaman
Zicon_small.png

scogoth
Picon_small.png

mcrae
Zicon_small.png

TheNiX
Ticon_small.png

Spl1nter
Ticon_small.png

Meet at this Tim Hortons at 3pm.

Hype!

Now that I got back into Starcraft this will be the first MLG I watch since October.

I always loved Leenock. Even more so then Nestea. Found him a complete boss. Hope he is still good now!

TheExodu5

Banned
I haven't caught up on all the RO8 games in GSL, but Alive has had the most impressive play from any player I've seen so far. The series vs. MMA was great. Besides that, Gumiho is showing how powerful it is to attack in 3+ places at once, but his execution is rather poor.

I feel like the real top level SC2 players are starting to emerge, but there's still quite a ways to go, as there's still plenty of room for improvement.

ultron87

Are you guys meeting at a Tim Horton's for some reason or are they actually so stereotypically ubiquitous in Canada that that is just where everyone meets for things?

Zzoram

Are you guys meeting at a Tim Horton's for some reason or are they actually so stereotypically ubiquitous in Canada that that is just where everyone meets for things?

Tim Hortons is everywhere, has tons of really cheap stuff under $1, and open 24/7 so it's an easy meeting place.

The idea was to have a bit of a GAF meet before the Barcraft where it's quieter, and show up together to claim a table.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
you're out of your ponydamned mind if you dont think current broodwar pros were playing the game in those 6 years prior to their pro debuts.

in canada, there are twice as many timmies as there are mcdonalds.

Top Bottom