• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Brawl Hands On

Firestorm

More from Celsius:

Ok...just played a lot more.

Here are observations and impressions:

Meta-Knight. This guy is an easy character to like. some Alt colors = gold and bright pink. Some descriptions.

Up+B is his rising attack. I believe he jumps first and then attacks and he goes fairly high. The catch is that you float down kind of slow. You MAY be able to follow through with an attack afterwards...so maybe some sort of cancel. Not that I've seen it but there looks to be a window of opprtunity for it.

B. Tornado. One hit = either 3% or 7% damage..I forgot which. Leaning towards 3. you can control the tornado for a a short period after activating it and can keep it going longer by either pressing b rapidly or holding B the whole time...I forgot... Sorry. Anyways. I wouldn't say it's cheesy cause the damage is fairly low per hit but it's a very good move. The attack has no knockback power so you can get in consecutive hits with the tornado.

Down+B I used it but never hit with it. Meta knight dissapears thaen suddenly reappears. Dunno if it's an attack or not.

Foward + B. With this attack he basically puts the sword over his head and spins himself towards the opponent head first. The speed isn't great but it's useful.

Standing rapid A. Consecutive slashes all around his body. Unlike some of the rapid A moves in Melee you don't have to press the buttons too fast to activate.

Up+A (not smash) Think of a shoryuken with a sword in one hand and if for that shoryuken one foot never leaves the ground. So the range of the attack is directly above.

Run+ A - Similar to Kirby's

Metaknight is really easy to use and get the hang of, hence why it's a favorite of the folks here. Speed is fair too. Can dish out lots of consecutive attacks.

Pit:

Some Colors: Red w/ white wings, black w/ black wings, blue w/ blue wings.

Down + B - Mirror Shield. Dunno what happens if a projectile hits it but Sonic's spindash bounces right off the shield. Right after Sonic bounces off the shield I think Pit can move while Sonic is in recoil.

Standing B - Arror shot. Can apparently make it curve slightly up or down. Faster or at the same speed with Link's arrows. But arrows are longer and slightly larger.

Foward + B he moves foward about 3 character lengths or so and spins his weapon. You can keep it spinning a bit I think,

Up + B Not an attack. Just gives you temporary flight ability. You glow while you do it. Very awesome.

Don't have the A attacks yet. Will try and get tomorrow. I forgot them...

Fox:

Slower. A lot slower. Sonic looks to be faster. I used his reflector on my opponents but I could never seem to get them to fly up. They always hit the ground and away from Fox. Do you have to come in with a down+A first then reflect to get them to fly up? Still not sure on whether he has that 1 frame recovery.

Alternate black costume has him looking like Wolf McDonald. No Eye patch though.

Sonic: Pretty cool but I didn't get the hang of him right away. used him only once. All his specials involve spin dashing save his Up + B

Hold B -- Sonic spins in place really fast. So fast that he starts to float and then finally towards the direction you're facing. I don't know if he can do damage while spinning if you do not let go of B to launch him.

Foward + B Spin dash... You don't rise this time. The longer you charge the faster you go. This attack was seen in Sonic's intro vid.

Down + B ... He spins in place really quick. Not sure what its efffects are. Never hit with it.

Smash + A . If you hold A Sonic keeps winding up his punch in a windmill motion before releasing it into a strong standing right hook.

Seems he confused how Fox's shine used to work with how Falco's used to work. Fox's never sent them flying up, Falco's did.

Is anyone else kind of disappointed by the Subspace Emissary?

I thought it would be an actual platformer with SSB-style fights every so often but it's really no more than Melee's story mode gameplay but with unique levels and stuff for every character.

I guess that's what the next SSB sequel is for, though.

Wow. Just wow. On top of everything else, we're finally getting Donkey Kong Country IV... inside the single player mode of a fighting game. My mind is blown completely. I'm glad this was delayed now. I'll need time to recover from this holiday goodness before I dive into a compilation of this magnitude.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Firestorm said:
Seems he confused how Fox's shine used to work with how Falco's used to work. Fox's never sent them flying up, Falco's did.

Falco is so totally still in the game, I bet! With a controllable Arwing Final Smash, too, since Fox got the tank. :D

Guybrush Threepwood said:
Is anyone else kind of disappointed by the Subspace Emissary?

I thought it would be an actual platformer with SSB-style fights every so often but it's really no more than Melee's story mode gameplay but more unique for every character.
I was disappointed when I noticed Mario Galaxy did not have a Virtua Fighter 5-esque combo system for boss fights.

Jiggy37 said:
We've only seen one level in detail.

It's not the levels I'm disappointed by. It's the gameplay.

I did not enjoy Melee's "story mode" too much because the controls always felt kind of clunky, for lack of a better word.

The DK level shown has pretty much the same gameplay (or at least it looked that way) as Melee did.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
:lol I love the slow mo second after TIME is called. Those near last second kills are rendered extra brutally frustrating :lol

MrCheez said:
TSA,

I know that hardcore tourneydoods played the game today with one focus on their mind: testing the advanced techniques they are used to. The lack (or alteration) of those things seem to be the only thing they are concentrating on.

What I want to know is not how this game will play at tournaments... What I am hoping you can tell me is... WAS IT FUN? Forget the advanced stuff for a second and think about how the game would play if you were just kicking back with some friends for fun. Was the demo you played still disappointing in that context?

It wasn't fun because of Nintendo-determined factors. 1) I had to play on a Classic Controller with the Wii Remote dangling from my arm. 2) The matches are too short to really get a good impression. 3) I can only play the 2 player versus option, so it's a very limited demo. My argument is this was not a smart move by Nintendo. Why did we need a playable demo now - Do it at CES or if you delay it again, GDC. What was the point of having it at the San Francisco event last week? The title is already hyped to high hell, it's not coming out this fall anymore, and the only reason I see they had it was because E For All Expo pressured them to show it off to sell more tickets.

They should have focused only on fall releases.

Edit: I am ripping my HD videos now - 10GB worth - and I am not sure if I got Dark Link in today or not. Nintendo enforced the lame ass "lifestyle" policy, although average joes with cell phone cams or DV handycams were shooting all the footage they could without any warning. They were purposely going after press people to prevent them from getting good footage, going so far as to touch the cameras while we played if they didn't like what we were getting. Then they have the nerve to hand out week-old footage everyone has...get it Nintendo? People want EXCLUSIVE, unique footage. Give me a break...sheesh.

I'll try to sneak some good footage tomorrow...but I have this strange feeling at 3pm when they do the Phantom Hourglass center-stage demo, I'm going to be called up (no, I know nothing about it, but I was getting asked if I was going to show it off - and I was like "Uh, been there, done that.")

MrCheez said:
I HAVE NO IDEA, I WANT IT NOW NOW NOW!!!

HOLD ME :(
mihug2yh7.jpg

FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP..................OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Firestorm

TSA said:
It wasn't fun because of Nintendo-determined factors. 1) I had to play on a Classic Controller with the Wii Remote dangling from my arm. 2) The matches are too short to really get a good impression. 3) I can only play the 2 player versus option, so it's a very limited demo. My argument is this was not a smart move by Nintendo. Why did we need a playable demo now - Do it at CES or if you delay it again, GDC. What was the point of having it at the San Francisco event last week? The title is already hyped to high hell, it's not coming out this fall anymore, and the only reason I see they had it was because E For All Expo pressured them to show it off to sell more tickets.

They should have focused only on fall releases.

Edit: I am ripping my HD videos now - 10GB worth - and I am not sure if I got Dark Link in today or not. Nintendo enforced the lame ass "lifestyle" policy, although average joes with cell phone cams or DV handycams were shooting all the footage they could without any warning. They were purposely going after press people to prevent them from getting good footage, going so far as to touch the cameras while we played if they didn't like what we were getting. Then they have the nerve to hand out week-old footage everyone has...get it Nintendo? People want EXCLUSIVE, unique footage. Give me a break...sheesh.

I'll try to sneak some good footage tomorrow...but I have this strange feeling at 3pm when they do the Phantom Hourglass center-stage demo, I'm going to be called up (no, I know nothing about it, but I was getting asked if I was going to show it off - and I was like "Uh, been there, done that.")

Why are they demoing Phantom Hourglass? That seems a bit useless...

And weee HD videos! Are you limited to 5 minutes? The IGN HD videos weren't half bad... obviously not as good as full screen without a guy holding a controller, but better than YouTube.

TSA said:
The first thing I did when playing Brawl today was discover Wavedashing was removed and L-cancel was removed. I may not be a very great Smash player, but I know what it is about and what made it good for the core fanbase. Right now it's really watered down OR incomplete. I'm deferring to the later option, giving Sakurai and company the benefit of the doubt that this is a DEMO and not the full version - something press are supposed to do. If the final build is like this, then there will be seriously backlash. That is why I said it shouldn't have been playable - at least to the public. They don't get this is a demo, and they're going around spewing it sucks and that Sakurai should die or whatever the guys over at Smash Boards are saying.

BTW, the Smash Boards people had a group and had a CHECKLIST of things to look for - I was nearly laughing my ass off when I saw that. That's how obssessed they are.

Playing as Pit, Meta Knight or Zero Suit Samus feels natural, though. I mean, the other issue I was finding is that all the damn moves seemed to be SPECIAL moves. Where were the jabs and the basic smash moves? It's like all SMASH, SPECIAL moves? That was what was frustrating me the most.
theres a button for special attacks and button for regular attacks....

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I like the safe room on the Norfair level. I wonder if two characters can be in it and fight while everything else is going on. :lol

Is that Sonic's taunt? running in place? Nice!

I want to see gold bowser and Star wolf model swaps. I like the model swaps because that is personally where I hope characters like Falco and Dr. Mario go if they don't end up keeping them. Even if the character physics and attributes stayed default it would be preferable to loosing them IMO.

allen1982

Banned
Fuck the wash dash or wave sliding or whatever the hell it is called. I just want to play a fun game without having to master complicated control or hear people speak like "jab jab fierce double down cancel LPPDDD wash --> double super X 2 infinite hook hyper cancel kick recover juggle guarding" like talking in fighting game langauges is cool or some shit...cuz it's not, it is stupid. Go play Virtua Fighter if you want really technical shit, Brawl is perfect for me.

Zeed

Banned
RichieRich said:
The other vid better be of Kirby and Zelda!

Also Kirby is a total pimp in that vid.

allen1982 said:
Fuck the wash dash or wave sliding or whatever the hell it is called. I just want to play a fun game without having to master complicated control or hear people speak like "jab jab fierce double down cancel LPPDDD wash --> double super X 2 infinite hook hyper cancel kick recover juggle guarding" like talking in fighting game langauges is cool or some shit...cuz it's not, it is stupid. Go play Virtua Fighter if you want really technical shit, Brawl is perfect for me.
I predict a long and successful stay for you here on GAF.

Top Bottom