• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Brawl Hands On

Dr.Hadji

Zeed said:
Kirby and Peach? Who in their right minds would save Peach over Zelda?

KIRBY WOULD!!!!!!!!

What is that chunli thing kirby does? that is new (inverted head spin while traveling horizontal)

Looks like Kirby's new dash attack, which is good because the fire one from Melee is the worst dash attack in the game.

The animation looks like it's from Kirby Super Star when Kirby has the YOYO power.

There are videos on youtube showing the history of where all the moves come from.

Vlad

Zeed said:
You make a very good point.

Also Halberd VS Arwing was awesome. Too bad Fox got owned by the claw.

Of course, we don't technically know that it was Fox in the arwing... it could have been Slippy, for all we know :)

NotWii

Banned
Firestorm said:
Have you tried going back to SSB64? I don`t know about others, but I find it horrible =(
I hate the speed, but I prefer the physics in it.
Beam Sword and Home Run Bat were devastating when thrown.

I HOPE THEY BRING BACK THE ORIGINAL STAGES REMODELED FOR WII

Firestorm

allen1982 said:
Fuck the wash dash or wave sliding or whatever the hell it is called. I just want to play a fun game without having to master complicated control or hear people speak like "jab jab fierce double down cancel LPPDDD wash --> double super X 2 infinite hook hyper cancel kick recover juggle guarding" like talking in fighting game langauges is cool or some shit...cuz it's not, it is stupid. Go play Virtua Fighter if you want really technical shit, Brawl is perfect for me.

Go and play Power Stone if you want some shallow shit, Brawl is perfect for me.

Innotech

Banned
I see now that they delayed this because SMash +Galaxy in 2007 would have knocked the planets out of alignment and caused armageddon a bit early. Or maybe just because nintendo cant make that many Wii's.

Firestorm

nealdt's (very in-depth, good new info) impressions:

OK, spent lots of time playing today. Let's be brief for each character.

Ike: quite slow. His fair is garbage. His final smash needs to hit someone next to you to activate. It's a guaranteed kill if they have medium damage.

Mario: d-air is tornado and I couldn't get it to rise, but I suck. Fludd attack is really wimpy. His final smash pushes you across the screen if you get caught in it (contrast with Samus').

Diddy Kong: weird movement. His b-air is like Mario's and chains together really well; I used it 4-5 times in a row to kill someone off the side of Castle.

Link: he's OK. His up+b doesn't seem to pseudo-spike if it hits after the initial strike. His bomb will kill someone in sudden death.

Sonic: has a really large dash dance.

Bowser: is pretty good. His final smash is amazing and is basically a free kill (at least). Fortress cancelling, fortress from shield, and flame cancelling are back.

DK: his back throw sends you down if you use it near the edge.

Samus: can't bomb jump in the air very easily, maybe not at all. Either the timing is significantly different and no one could figure it out, or you just can't do it at all. You can still bomb jump on the ground (the bomb will send you into morph ball state). Either can't missile cancel or the timing is different to make it difficult to test. Using a bomb in the air gives significant mobility though.

Peach: d-smash has shorter range and does less damage; I used it on HugS in sudden death and it didn't kill. Her dash attack is now two hits, neither or which is particularly powerful. She can still pull beam swords (I WAS THE FIRST PERSON TO EVER DO THIS IN BRAWL -- WRITE MY NAME DOWN.) Turnips have some variety but none of them approached the power of Melee Stichface. Her F-air is still good, and her b-air is stronger. Her final smash can be shielded -- HugS had his shield up when I did one once, and his shield kept flashing and getting smaller like he was shielding something (I also did NOT get any peaches from this attack -- may have been a bug). Using her FS when opponent is in the air appears to warp them to the ground, but this may have just been them falling normally while the animation was playing. I don't think she can float cancel anymore; I was never good at it in Melee, but I tried very hard to look for any sign of FC aerials and couldn't find anything. Her usmash shows a heart at the top of her hands. Daisy is still a costume for Peach. I played her quite a bit.

Pit: doesn't seem very good; couldn't find a decent kill move?

Metaknight: very fast and lots of combos; his side b does a lot of damage but leaves you helpless after it finishes. I don't think he has many kill moves either, because I almost always saw him killing people via items. FS must connect with opponent, then it's an auto kill (?).

Pikachu: is cool. He has some badass costumes. His uair and fair combo very nicely into each other. FS is very hard to control, but if you barely tilt the stick it's not that bad.

Techniques and misc stuff
NO:
Wavedash.
L-cancelling (MY PERSONAL THEORY: l-cancelling was made automatic for the demo, because there are clearly moves with much longer recovery times shown in some of the trailers).
Double jump cancelling (Peach/Yoshi).
Yoshi jumping out of shield.
Start as Zamus (couldn't find a button combo).
Light shield (classic controller shoulder buttons are not analog).
Cannot seem to short hop with the Wiimote on its side.

YES:
Dash Dance.
Teching (normal, wall, and wall jump).
DI.
Smash DI.
Chain grabbing (was CG'd by Pikachu's dthrow [without DIing it] and have heard that Mario can too).
Crouch cancel.
Grab items in the air with Z.
Air dodge grapple with Link/Samus.

MAYBE:
Wavelanding; some characters seem to do something like a waveland at times. Hard to test.
Jump cancel shine. Reports vary. Most people cannot get it to work, but some claim you have to hold B while you press jump for it to work; they claim releasing B makes him start a "turn off shine" animation.

COOL STUFF:
You will grab the edge during/after most moves even if you're facing the wrong way.

The Edge Hug: HugS discovered this. Walk off the edge and smash the stick towards the stage. You will grab the edge. Faster than WDing off to edge hog. This is called the Edge Hug, of course.

C-stick does tilt attacks if you also hold the regular stick in the same direction. This makes it very hard to CC downsmash with Peach, because holding down to CC and then C-sticking down will do a dtilt, not a dsmash. You can do all tilts using this method.

Fox can short hop triple laser. But his lasers do not go very far; they disappear after a distance that is about the length of the hole that appears in Bridge of Eldin.

Ack. Furthers what I was afraid of. Meta Knight looks to have little in the way of KO moves.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
So, I played it quite a bit today... some thoughts and observations:

* Peach's "Daisy" outfit is currently missing. She has the Daisy color scheme (brown hair), but no texture changes (daisy earrings, different crown, etc..) like in Melee. This seems like an odd omission.

* Regarding Samus and Fox's "alternate outfits" -- I'm going to have to check into this tomorrow, but I didn't leave the expo with that impression at all. While I'm hesistant to say much about Samus (I'll try her color scheme out tomorrow, although toggling through the colors showed NO alternate textures or designs, JUST color schemes), I do know I saw Fox in the "Star Wolf" coloring... and frankly, the only difference I saw was the color scheme. If Samus has a Fusion Suit, it should be obvious, and I'll look for it tomorrow -- otherwise, well, I think the reports of "different costumes" at this point are merely different color schemes. Dark Link appears to just be a different color scheme too.

* Multiple taunts are fun, but I can't tell if there is ANY way to CHOOSE a taunt in Wii Remote play. This might be a problem, as some taunts have lag (Mario's growth).

* Still not sure about Mario's FLUDD. It seems to be called by D+B when standing, but I'm not entirely sure what makes it later vanish OR if you can do anything else with it after it is called. You can't seem to drop it as an item.

* Peach feels more "floaty". Her hip smash attacks have little white flash heart animations.

* I really, REALLY hate Wii Remote controls.

* Classic Controller is growing on me, but I still want the Wavebird.

* Adventure Mode looks neat -- they were showing various Adventure Mode clips. Wario appears to be a total jerk in this game.

Overall, the game FEELS like an enhanced SSBM as opposed to "a brand new game" -- adventure mode and the like will take care of that, though.

From Smash Boards:

Assist Trophies:
Little Mac (Punchout!!!) - Dashes, jabs, and uppercuts
Excite Bikes (ExciteBike) - Run over everybody
Pokey (EarthBound) - Fires Lasers
Tails (Sonic the Hedgehog) - Follows you and if you fall of the stage, he flies you back up saving you
Dr Wright (Sim City) - Makes buildings rise from underneath
Lyn (Fire Emblem) - Slashes
Devil (Devil World) - Makes screen move
Knuckle Joe (Kirby) - Vulcan jab (A ton of punches)
Samurai Goroh (F-Zero) - Slashes
Andross (Starfox) - Spits out tiles
Advance War Army (Advance Wars) - Walks around firing guns and tanks
Mr Resseti (Animal Crossing) - Lectures you
Jill (Drill Dozer) - drills across stage, hurting anyone in her way
Saki (Sin and Punishment) - Follows and shoots; if you get too close, he swings his sword (I played this game, and it's amazingly epic)
Nintendog (Nintendogs) - Covers Screen
Hammer Bros (Mario) - Throws hammers
Lakitu - Throws spikey koopa things (names escape me at the moment)
Metroid (Metroid) - Latches onto players and attacks

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Thanks for the impressions, David! About the 'alternate costumes'... I had a feeling people were exaggerating by calling color-swaps new costumes. :( Ah well, not a huge deal.

Can you answer a few more questions?

1) Overall, did the demo miss, meet, or exceed your expectations? I'm really wondering about how much FUN everyone thought it was. You can also speak on what potential for overall awesomeness you believe in after playing.

2) Which character did you enjoy the most? Least?

3) How were those little mini tournaments going? Did one character seem to dominate?

Edit: 4) You said that the game feels a lot like SSBM... how was the speed? A lot of people are worrying it's super slowed down, but it doesn't seem that way from the videos...

Man I hate gametrailers.com...their flash videos NEVER work in any program. Sfaari, firefox, and camino, NOTHING!! It just stays at 0:00 >_<

Holy shit!!!!! that Kid Icarus song is so fucking awful!!! It makes me want to jam a screw driver in my ears.

Anyone else think Solid Snake's alternate costumes will be shadow mosses, old snake, and naked snake?

Saki (Sin and Punishment) - Follows and shoots; if you get too close, he swings his sword (I played this game, and it's amazingly epic)

Hell yeah!!!!!!!

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Regarding Assist Trophies: I don't doubt that Tails in in the demo, but I didn't see him during the entire day. I did see the SIn & Punishment trophy... never saw Li'l Mac, though. Nor a Metroid. I did see just about everything else.

MrCheez said:
Thanks for the impressions, David! About the 'alternate costumes'... I had a feeling people were exaggerating by calling color-swaps new costumes. :( Ah well, not a huge deal.
Can you answer a few more questions?
1) Overall, did the demo miss, meet, or exceed your expectations? I'm really wondering about how much FUN everyone thought it was. You can also speak on what potential for overall awesomeness you believe in after playing.
2) Which character did you enjoy the most? Least?
3) How were those little mini tournaments going? Did one character seem to dominate?
Actually, IF it's true that there are no alternate costumes at the moment... I find that rather significant. Removing Peach's "Daisy" outfit really makes no sense at all... if that's gone, it would seem MORE possible that there is a universal "second costume" or "costume selection" option for ALL the characters coming later. But, well, speculation.

1) I felt a tad underwhelmed upon first playing, but that's probably because I had to use a Wii Remote only scheme my first time. I spent most of my time struggling to do anything. With the Classic Controller, it worked a bit better. At the end of the day, well... it feels like a modified SSBM. I think I need more time with the game (other than in 2 minute matches where I'm being pummeled) to tell what I think about it.

2) Not sure about my favorite character yet... I was surprised by how well I did with Diddy, actually; his U+B rocket recovery works a tad like Luigi's side rocket move and "feels" the same, with a sustained "hold" building up power. Peach seemed like she might be weaker, but it's just as possible that I was really off with my timing and the controls.

3) Not that I noticed. I heard people claim that Metaknight was killing folks like crazy, but I never saw him in action much.

Oh, another thing -- Final Smash attacks generally seem WEAKER than we are all expecting them to be. Avoiding or surviving the attacks isn't impossible by a long shot. The game seems very well balanced even with the Final Smash attacks... Stationary Final Smashes (like Mario's) can be avoided if you are quick, Speedy Final Smashes (Super Sonic) are hard for the player to control, etc..

ElFly

ShockingAlberto said:
The idea of Tails lifting up Mario is making my eyes cross

Maybe he will drop Mario.

"Ooops!"

tailsAvatar-2.gif

JoeFu

Banned
Ike looks like he has no recovery.

And about those comments, on another forum some guy was being an elitist a-hole to everybody who did not wavedash. Only reason I laughing is because I'm imagining him with his crushed dreams about wave dashing in SSBB.

I can't stand watching those freaking videos with those girls screaming.

PRESS 1 PRESS 1 PRESS 1
asdf;kajlsdfjas;df stfu gosh

Hate it when I'm playing a game and someone is screaming at me and telling me which button to press.

NotWii

Banned
JoeFu said:
And about those comments, on another forum some guy was being an elitist a-hole to everybody who did not wavedash. Only reason I laughing is because I'm imagining him with his crushed dreams about wave dashing in SSBB.
I know some people like that and there's some people on this very forum who are exactly like that :p

I'm laughing at them too :p

It's obvious Zelda isn't playable because she's turning into Sheik, and the Sheik in Brawl is based on a new Twilight Princess style. Plus I'm sure her final smash may have to do something spoiler-rific?

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Holy crap, I should have been following this thread more closely.

The Subspace Emissary footage is simply...amazing. I don't think I've ever been this excited since...God, who even knows? This is simply fanservice in its purest form. I mean, the Halberd launched its grabber arm (an annoying component of the Combo Cannon boss from Kirby Super Star) at an Arwing, for goodness sakes! I kind of wish the videos had music, though.

Pokey as an Assist Trophy? Is he in his spider mech?

Top Bottom