• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Brawl Hands On

Firestorm

Testicular Sound Express said:
well Marth is like that too. Marth is about 75% edgeguarding.

Marth can't kill? What?
f-smash, n-air, even up+b if you time it right

Marth can definitely kill. His f-smash especially

RagnarokX said:
Palutena: "And with this fountain I can view the people on the world below."
Pit: "Cool... can you get the game on this thing?"

More or less.
What's the use of sacred artifacts, if you can't abuse them?

Jiggy

traveler said:
Well, didn't Sakurai say they were going to eliminate the clone characters?
Firestorm post impending now. [Edit: What, Firestorm posted and didn't comment on this. :eek:]

But the short answer is no, that was never said. And Luigi's not a clone character anyway. Different running A, different forward smash, different down air, different forward air, different-acting B, different forward B, different up B, different AAA combo, and I think a different up tilt as well. Also has a different down B from Mario regardless of whether he's got the Poltergust, since Mario now has FLUDD.

Jiggy37 said:
Firestorm post impending now. [Edit: What, Firestorm posted and didn't comment on this. :eek:]

But the short answer is no, that was never said. And Luigi's not a clone character anyway. Different running A, different forward smash, different down air, different forward air, different-acting B, different forward B. And whether or not his down B has changed at all, it'll be different from Mario's now that Mario has FLUDD.

To add to that, I can pretty much guarantee that Luigi will have his vacuum. Especially now that Mario has FLUDD.

traveler

Not Wario
Jiggy37 said:

But the short answer is no, that was never said. And Luigi's not a clone character anyway. Different running A, different forward smash, different down air, different forward air, different-acting B, different forward B. And whether or not his down B has changed at all, it'll be different from Mario's now that Mario has FLUDD.

Well, if he didn't say that, then fine.

I'm pretty sure anyone mentioning clone characters in reference to Smash would consider Luigi a clone, though. How is he no more clone-ish than Pichu, Dr. Mario, Ganon, etc.?

RagnarokX

Jiggy37 said:

I would think Luigi's down B would summon a poultergust.

Firestorm

traveler said:
Well, didn't Sakurai say they were going to eliminate the clone characters? So, wouldn't that mean that either (a) he's been removed from the game (at least as a playable) or (b) been changed up radically? I'd love to see the former, but I dunno.

God fucking dammit
shit cock bitch whore slut hell cunt

>=(

YOU PEOPLE MUST STOP THIS NOW

WildArms

Best game ever, shame about the sequels
Attention anyone who calls Luigi a Clone. Nintendo clearly admits which characters are clones.

selectscreen.jpg

As you can see in the image, the clone characters are not part of the main 19 squares in the middle. The 6 clone characters are all at the edges (Dr.Mario, Falco, Pichu, Ganondorf, Young Link and Roy) and all their squares are a bit lower and out of place, clearly showing that they are "extras".

Besides, Luigi just isn't a clone. The fact that Luigi is a little like Mario is a Super Smash thing that's been here since the first.

Jiggy

I like how two people mentioned the Poltergust before I even had time to edit. :D But yes, I think that will be in there as well.

traveler said:
I'm pretty sure anyone mentioning clone characters in reference to Smash would consider Luigi a clone, though. How is he no more clone-ish than Pichu, Dr. Mario, Ganon, etc.?
Just in reference to animation alone--ignoring knockback and character weight and character speed and everything else--here are the moveset differences I can think of between these pairs of characters:

Pichu and Pikachu: Up smash. One of the grapple directions too, I think.
Dr. Mario and Mario: Neutral B.
Ganondorf and Captain Falcon: Forward air, up tilt, neutral A.
Luigi and Mario: Running A, forward smash, down air, forward air, forward B, up B, AAA combo, down B, up tilt.

traveler

Not Wario
Whatever. :lol

I'm way out of my league here. I can't tell you what any characters moves are outside of the specials after all. I just remember thinking Luigi was a clone like everyone else when I played with him. I guess I never got "skilled" enough to notice the other differences.

I am curious, I think I remember seeing it somewhere, but could someone post a link with a video of some Ike footage? I'd really appreciate it

RagnarokX

I'm wondering why they've been avoiding showing Kirby use his copy power in all of the media they have released... they probably kept Kirby out of the demo for the same reason.

What if they have drastically changed Kirby's copy powers? Like maybe now he gets an entirely new special moveset with each power, possibly even getting classic copy powers (ie becoming fire kirby instead of mario kirby). That would be really cool. Kirby Super Star after all is basically the predecessor of Smash Bros (moves based on simple directional inputs).

NeonZ

Hm... Was that an SSB64 homage in the first Subspace Emissary video, right before Kirby VS Mario battle...?

It seems that cooperative play won't be available at all times, at least, in some early story levels.

traveler said:
Well, didn't Sakurai say they were going to eliminate the clone characters? So, wouldn't that mean that either (a) he's been removed from the game (at least as a playable) or (b) been changed up radically? I'd love to see the former, but I dunno.
You have no idea how much I fucking hate you right now.

Scribble

About this ink drop thing. Why can't people just play the fucking game competitively on an "equal" playing ground? It may be a legitimate technique or whatever, but this looks contrived and it looks like people are going OUT OF THEIR WAY to find a "niche" element of Brawl that the commoners can't easily tap into.

I'm not an anti-hardcore bully, but this is just o__O;

Firestorm

Scribble said:
About this ink drop thing. Why can't people just play the fucking game competitively on an "equal" playing ground? It may be a legitimate technique or whatever, but this looks contrived and it looks like people are going OUT OF THEIR WAY to find a "niche" element of Brawl that the commoners can't easily tap into.

Well, they're looking at everything that comes up to see if there are any uses for it. If there aren't, then it won't be used. Being able to instantly direct any attack (or grab) behind you must have its uses though. At least that's what I understand ink dropping is...

L-Cancelling being removed for automatic 50% lag reduction is a great start for "even ground". L-cancelling was one of the two most important advanced techs. The other being teching.

Jiggy

Scribble said:

Canceling a dash isn't really hard to do or understand... At least it doesn't sound like it. Obviously I've got no hands-on experience here. >_>

NeonZ

The Goombas from Adventure mode seem to have a rushing attack now, rather than only walking around. Did they have that in any previous Mario game? Their only attack in Paper Mario was jumping, right?

mugwhump

Scribble said:

Nah, not really. I mean, they're the hardcore fanbase for a reason... because they're hardcore! And a fanbase!

Redd

traveler said:
Jesus Christ, I didn't realize this was such a huge deal. You people are friggin nuts.

Smash does have a huge following. Now add some Voice Chat so I can talk trash too Sakurai.:D

I'm no so much into the Wii-mote controls. They felt kinda substandard to what I was expecting. Classic controller seems to be the right direction for me atm. And there was so much Ike domination at E for All today. Granted he's slow, his range is wicked. Plus his up+b(1) is pretty useful.

traveler

Not Wario
donkey show said:
I'm no so much into the Wii-mote controls. They felt kinda substandard to what I was expecting. Classic controller seems to be the right direction for me atm. And there was so much Ike domination at E for All today. Granted he's slow, his range is wicked. Plus his up+b(1) is pretty useful.

I haven't watched any of the videos with footage from him. Can you comment on how different he feels from, say, Marth and Roy?

Firestorm

traveler said:
I haven't watched any of the videos with footage from him. Can you comment on how different he feels from, say, Marth and Roy?

From impressions I've read:
Ike is slow
Ike is slow
Ike is so so very slow
sucks in 1v1
amazing in 4 player ffa

traveler

Not Wario
Firestorm said:
Ike is slow
Ike is slow
Ike is so so very slow
sucks in 1v1
amazing in 4 player ffa

Gotcha. Is there a index of all the youtube vids people have been putting up? I checked the OP, but it's just the journo previews.

Firestorm

The GetYourOwnTournament podcast is out if you want an audio podcast. It's mostly the same thing as gimpyfish's post though I think:
http://www.getyourtournament.com/multimedia/podcast1018.wav

traveler said:
Gotcha. Is there a index of all the youtube vids people have been putting up? I checked the OP, but it's just the journo previews.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=120074

A Link to the Snitch said:
So I wonder what happens when Goldeen falls into the water?

Drags Charizard and Sonic to their dooom

GamerSoul

Firestorm said:
Ike is slow
Ike is slow
Ike is so so very slow
sucks in 1v1
amazing in 4 player ffa

It'll be very interesting to see how many ways Ike can be used. Liek most people already predicted, he's a tank, slow but strong. I'm still going to use him.

I've already read that his B+Forward dashes forward quickly and can be used as an alternative recovery move if you time it right.

Firestorm

GamerSoul said:
It'll be very interesting to see how many ways Ike can be used. Liek most people already predicted, he's a tank, slow but strong. I'm still going to use him.

I've already read that his B+Forward dashes forward quickly and can be used as an alternative recovery move if you time it right.

Slow and powerful has always sucked so I don't see him doing too well.

Firestorm said:
Ike is slow
Ike is slow
Ike is so so very slow
sucks in 1v1
amazing in 4 player ffa
Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. I'd say he's slightly slower than Roy but his distance and strength make up for it in FFA. One highlight of my playtime was catching all three opponents in his final smash as the timer was almost up. It was so damn epic but the final hit came right when it called time. =(

traveler

Not Wario
I'm not really familiar with the whole Smash Bros. pro scene, but do they ever have 3-4 player battles in the tourneys and such? It seems unfair to the heavy and powerful characters to have all the elite level battles be 1 vs. 1 fights where those characters are balanced to be weaker.

GamerSoul

traveler said:
I'm not really familiar with the whole Smash Bros. pro scene, but do they ever have 3-4 player battles in the tourneys and such? It seems unfair to the heavy and powerful characters to have all the elite level battles be 1 vs. 1 fights where those characters are balanced to be weaker.

I know they have Team battles

Firestorm

traveler said:

Tournament Battles are 1v1 and 2v2. FFAs are just politics. FFAs never work competitively in any game.

Top Bottom