• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales Of Berseria (PS3/PS4) Announced, has female protagonist

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's crazy to think that around this same point in last gen's time we were hearing of the first HD Tales of game coming exclusively to Xbox.

Guess they learned their lesson.

I don't know, they could at least try?

But I guess nobody should blame them. One look at the Media Create thread and you'd know why they aren't abandoning PS3.

I don't think the biggest thing in the way of better looking tales of games is really the hardware. It's pretty crazy just how much better Vesperia looks compared to all of the other tales of games from that gen.

There's still a whole world of aesthetic improvement available to them on last gen consoles if you are setting the bar at Graces F / Xillias / Zestiria

Falk

that puzzling face
I agree. Namco isn't very tech-oriented anyway so PS4 only won't mean much.

I would have jumped right on this line of reasoning but Yoru no Nai Kuni is actually looking super fluid and Gust hasn't been known to make the smoothest PS3/PSV games.

UNLESS THE FOOTAGE IS A LIE (it probably is)

I have no issue with this being cross gen because well Japanese market hasn't latched onto next gen and they'd be stupid to give up on them in favor of basically JUST the west market.

I would have jumped right on this line of reasoning but Yoru no Nai Kuni is actually looking super fluid and Gust hasn't been known to make the smoothest PS3/PSV games.

Better hardware helps with pushing the basic thresholds in the game's performance (resolution and framerate), but at a graphical/game design/tech perspective, it's not as if games with anime aesthetics are using any sort of 'next-gen' tech that allows the game to look like playable anime.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Haha, I'm more saying we won't suddenly get something that doesn't look PS3-ish out of the Tales team.

Eh. if this is at least a year away I really think that just like SE with Star Ocean Namco is trying to play too safe here. PS3 will be dead retail wise after this year even in Japan (sold just over 3k units last week) and even the active userbase of the console is decreasing slowly but surely. Well I guess it's better than going mobile.

It's crazy to think that around this same point in last gen's time we were hearing of the first HD Tales of game coming exclusively to Xbox.

Guess they learned their lesson.

honestly I do partly blame MS for the Japanese console game decline, in short I feel because they backed J RPGS early last gen (and then pulled a complete 180) that people went with 360 and in turn split the western J RPG base or at least the potential J RPG audience.
While I have an Xbox One i'd never get a J game on it unless it's exclusive, that U Turn burned me and a lot of others hard last gen.

I have no issue with this being cross gen because well Japanese market hasn't latched onto next gen and they'd be stupid to give up on them in favor of basically JUST the west market.

Tales games sells much better in Japan too.

I am still surprised that there is not another Tales games on 3DS in the sense.(the mobile Srpg port does not count )

Yazuka

Everything is better than mobile, as someone said if we have to get a PS3 version to get a PS4 version I'm more than okay with that. As long as the game is released in the west, I do not see that as a problem in anyway.

Toki767

I imagine the PS4 version will be 1080p with some better textures or something. The game will probably sell better on PS4 anyway.

Dark_castle

I don't think the biggest thing in the way of better looking tales of games is really the hardware. It's pretty crazy just how much better Vesperia looks compared to all of the other tales of games from that gen.

There's still a whole world of aesthetic improvement available to them on last gen consoles if you are setting the bar at Graces F / Xillias / Zestiria

I suppose you're right. Waiting for that next gen cel-shaded graphics.

lily-bergamo_2013_09-6gi6o.jpg

*cough*

crinale

The thing is as for this time they aren't doing live stream, and press (not personal blogs) are tweeting they aren't authorized to talk about it until 21:00 JST lol.

Feels like no one's investing the resources to make that next-gen leap for cell-shaded graphics, or building the best toolsets/tech to create playable anime.

It's been artistic design at an individual studio level that's making up for it, but we're still getting a lot of poor approach like how recent Tales games do it. =/

Zankou

Woah, that was kinda unexpected. I didn't think they would announce a new Tales of that close after Zestiria...

So no words on Zestiria PS4?

Yazuka

I like all the designers of the Tales of games. But I do vastly prefer when there is just one single character designer, everything just seems to connect better.

kiryogi

Banned
Fujishima haters go home.

I don't think it's hate as much as wanting one uniform design. As neat of a landmark as it was to mesh the character designers for the anniversary, it was really just no cohesive vision having 2, 3 main character designers in a single title (Fujishima/Inomata/Okumura) In the past, A Tales title was either Fujishima or Inomata, not both.

Hopefully I'm posting in the right thread this time...

From the Zesteria PS4 Best Buy listing thread:
Yes, very notable. First of all both Xillia managed to do nearly without any outsourcing (which is less than even most Tales games before), Zestiria went to the other extreme end and had most assets creation outsourced to a degree that only leads of the respective areas stayed in house.

Outsourcing partners with unclear roles:
RED Entertainment -> concept design (new to the series)
IMAGICA -> art support? (common partner)
Lemonsky Studio -> art (new to the series)
XPEC Entertainment -> 3D art (new to the series)
media.vision -> event design (common partner)

Staff changes in bigger sections from Xillia 1&2 to Zestiria
Map models: 13 -> 2 (+ 9 new internal staff, outsourced to some above)
Character models: 11 -> 3 (outsourced to flightUNIT (new to the series))
Monster models: 5 -> 2 (outsourced to some above)
Animation: 13 -> 2 (outsourced to Mineloader software (common partner))
Programming: 11 -> 6 (+ 1 new, outsourced to 4 more from tri-Crescendo including system programming)
Game design: 8 -> 2 (+ 2 new)

Notable people MIA:
Eiji Kikuchi (former studio/development group manager, likely redundant in BN Studios?)
Kenji Anabuki (involved in all "Team Symphonia" games + X1&2, just busy with Smash 4?)
Masahiro Fuke (battle program support Hearts DS and X1, battle design NDX and X2)
Itsumi Hori, Daisuke Kiga (more scenario people)
Yasushi Shibue (storyboard for all "Team Symphonia" games + X1&2)

And this is not accounting for the staff that went MIA during the transition from Tales Studio to BN Studios.

Either Zestiria is a heavily outsourced game while there is internal staff already working on another project. Or the 80 former Tales Studio staff that originally joined BN Studios was cut in half since, with future Tales games requiring this degree of outsourcing.

Looks like we know where all of those staff members went once the Xillia games were completed.

thuway

I really want them to put on some nice layers of AA and give it a 60hz refresh rate. Cross-gen is a must seeing as how most games sell more on PS3 than PS4 :/.

Vylash

thank goodness that it's on ps3 so I can actually play it, don't know why so many people are whining about that except for pure selfishness

Auctopus

lily-bergamo_2013_09-6gi6o.jpg

*cough*

I agree with Gaffers who say how can people get hung up on a game that they knew nothing about but I wish I was in that boardroom meeting where THIS became that brown ugly mess, 'Let It Die'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom