• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tatsunoko vs Capcom, new arcade fighter. (Viewtiful Joe in 'da house!)

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Shouta said:
Taito Arcade in Tokyo? Where was that again because I'll totally go down there to play it. =o

It's Taito's Hey arcade in Akihabara, next to Club Sega Akihabara

Spruchy

TreIII said:
Not gonna happen, it looks like.

The game has been confirmed to only output 480p at the most. And it's practically already confirmed to be running on what's basically Wii Hardware in an arcade cabinet.

If not Wii-exclusive (which is what has been rumored for months now), a PS2 port is more likely than anything else, and even THAT may be iffy.

Any system except 360 would honestly be fine with me (only system I own without import capabilities). But really Wii hardware? Looks really good in trailers...

TreIII

Spruchy said:
Any system except 360 would honestly be fine with me (only system I own without import capabilities). But really Wii hardware? Looks really good in trailers...

As with anything else, how good a Wii game can stand to look really depends on the dev. Capcom just happens to be seemingly one of few who actually knows how to push it decently and get great results.

But pretty much everybody I know, who's actually seen the game in person, states that while the game definitely is sexy, it definitely is NOT in the same league as say, SF4. But that's understandable, seeing how TC is not even on the Taito X2.

TreIII said:

The game has been confirmed to only output 480p at the most. And it's practically already confirmed to be running on what's basically Wii Hardware in an arcade cabinet.

If not Wii-exclusive (which is what has been rumored for months now), a PS2 port is more likely than anything else, and even THAT may be iffy.

I may be a moran for saying this, but I'd think anything that could be made to run on the Wii could easily be run on the PS3/360 as well.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
TreIII said:
And it's practically already confirmed to be running on what's basically Wii Hardware in an arcade cabinet.

Just popped into this thread after a while so I'm not up-to-date, but this is true? Wow, fuck all the haters saying a Wii port was impossible. :lol

comedy bomb said:
I may be a moran for saying this, but I'd think anything that could be made to run on the Wii could easily be run on the PS3/360 as well.

And how exactly is Capcom going to benefit from putting TvC on the PS3/360?

TreIII

comedy bomb said:
I may be a moron for saying this, but I'd think anything that could be made to run on the Wii could easily be run on the PS3/360 as well.

It's not the matter of the hardware, it's what the game's resolution is.

Again, TC is able to only output 480p at the most. Well below the 720p necessary in order to be a full-fledged PS3 title.

So, therefore, in order for the game to be released on the HD consoles, the game would either need to:

a) Be "magically" up-scaled to 720p

or

b) Settle for a PSN download

Capcom won't do "a", because that requires a lot more work on their parts. It's ALWAYS easier to downscale, than it is to upscale.

And they also (probably) won't do "b", because that's not something that they'll be interested in doing for what is basically a brand-new game (not a "remake", like SF2HD, or a "re-use" of old assets, like MM9).

So, it's basically a purely technical argument that dictates why this game can't go to the HD consoles. Combine that with the fact that Capcom will be plenty busy enough marketing SF4 on PS3/360, and that's all the more reason for TC to go to a different market altogether.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
And how exactly is Capcom going to benefit from putting TvC on the PS3/360?

How will they benefit putting it in the Wii?

Sure it has the largest installed base, but the game has little chance of selling well IMO.

TreIII

comedy bomb said:
How will they benefit putting it in the Wii?

For a few very good reasons:

1) Tatsunoko is basically the "Hanna-Barbera" of Japan. Familiar and family-friendly characters, that kids/fanboys of all ages are familiar with. You don't get too much more family friendly than the Wii.

2) Game is DEFINITELY meant to be much more of a "casual" game that everybody can get into, rather than say, another SF4. Flashy graphics, easy-to-get-into gameplay, 4 button control scheme. TC is meant to have more in common with anime fighters like Naruto GNT and DBZ, than say, again, SF4. The fact that Capcom is making it doesn't change things.

3) It'll be exclusive (assuming the rumor is true, but it certainly looks as such, considering they've been right so far). A game exclusive to the Wii, overall, stands to do much better than a game that's either "shared" with the PS2, or a "hand-me-down" from the PS3-360.

Game probably won't be a million seller (most fighters aren't any way), but as long as it does as well as say, the Naruto GNT series does on average, in Japan, it'll be fine, and Capcom will be pleased.

beat

TreIII said:
Again, TC is able to only output 480p at the most. Well below the 720p necessary in order to be a full-fledged PS3 title.

What about Haze? {ducks}

So, therefore, in order for the game to be released on the HD consoles, the game would either need to:

a) Be "magically" up-scaled to 720p

or

b) Settle for a PSN download

Capcom won't do "a", because that requires a lot more work on their parts. It's ALWAYS easier to downscale, than it is to upscale.
I don't understand. Isn't this game all in 3D? Upscaling should be trivial.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
No offense Tre, but this is Capcom we're talking about here. I wouldn't be shocked to see PS2 or PS3/360/PC ports following sometime down the road. Hell if it can handle it maybe PSP too.

It's not like games haven't been ported up before in the past, either. Look at Capcom's own Tech Romancer and Namco's Soul Calibur. Two System 11/12 (or was TR 12 too?) games that got released on the Dreamcast instead of the PSOne.

CO_Andy

I find it hard to believe a possible MvC sequel will remain exclusive on Wii. The Marvel license has been whored out like nobody's business.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
TreIII said:

wtf!

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Wii does make sense actually.

A 2-sided strategy to try and resurrect fighters, their once bread and butter, with this on Wii and SF4 on PS3/360.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
CO_Andy said:
I find it hard to believe a possible MvC sequel will remain exclusive on Wii. The Marvel license has been whored out like nobody's business.

This is TvC. And no, MvC IS NOT TvC.

And while I don't mind a PS2 port (in fact, I am wishing for it), let's not forget the game runs on a Wii-compatible hardware. It's easy to do a PS2->Wii, but hard to do a Wii->PS2.

ShinAmano

If this does not come out in the US I will import or mod and of the three systems needed to play this...and i only know the Capcom characters :D

TreIII

beat said:
I don't understand. Isn't this game all in 3D? Upscaling should be trivial.

There's more to it than that.

When a game is set to out-put at one signal by default (in this case, 480p at the most), you have to actually go back and make a version of the game that can output a higher signal (so that it can draw out those extra lines for the higher resolution).

That's why it's far easier to downscale to a lower resolution, as opposed to upscaling to a higher one. That's why you're more prone to seeing down-scaled ports (see: KOF: MI Regulation A) from higher powered hardware, than the other way around.

Capcom COULD do it if they really wanted to, but again, that sounds like much more in the way of effort than what they would desire for a project like this. As I and others have said before, this game is meant to be a much more "cost-effective" project than say, SF4. Therefore, it doesn't really need to be ported all over the place, in order to, ideally, be able to at least break even.

Lyte Edge said:
No offense Tre, but this is Capcom we're talking about here. I wouldn't be shocked to see PS2 or PS3/360/PC ports following sometime down the road. Hell if it can handle it maybe PSP too.

None taken.

But at the same time, let's consider that this is the SAME Capcom that's done things such as, make it so that Ultimate Ghouls n Ghosts, MMPU and Maverick Hunter X were exclusive on the PSP of all things. Most people (including Capcom shareholders) could only question why they did such a thing, when, especially at that point in time, such games would have done MUCH better on anything ranging from the PS2, GC, or maybe even downscaled ports on the DS.

Then let's kindly remember that this is the same Capcom that's making Monster Hunter 3 exclusive on the Wii, of all consoles. Much gnashing of teeth resulted here, as well, but, Wii-exclusive it is.

And what about some of the other recent games that have come out? Sengoku BASARA X was, at one time, rumored to have a Wii-port as well, but it looks especially doubtful at this point (due to how the arcade title and its PS2 port tanked). Fate Unlimited Codes doesn't look to be migrating to any other consoles beyond its PS2 port, either, for that matter.

So, I don't see what's so hard about this. Capcom is just as prone to let a game stay exclusive to a certain platform, as they are to porting it all over the place. And again, you really have to consider the market that this game is being made for (re: the Japanese, moreso than us gaijin otaku! :lol), to get an idea of what Capcom was going for here. The Tatsunoko choice itself pretty much sealed the fate of the game to be made for a "specific crowd", more than anything else.

It's not like games haven't been ported up before in the past, either. Look at Capcom's own Tech Romancer and Namco's Soul Calibur. Two System 11/12 (or was TR 12 too?) games that got released on the Dreamcast instead of the PSOne.

Difference here though, is that in those cases, it was more of a matter of taking the game, upping the resolution a bit (not beyond 480p, in any case), and maybe even going back and giving hi-res textures. This practice still goes on, namely with PS2->Wii ports.

Again, things are a bit different when you start talking about trying to upscale to PS3. If you want to upscale the game for the sake of the HD consoles, again, you have to actually upscale that signal being displayed to fit the demands of that HD standard.

That's why don't really see this practice in action rarely, if at all. If a low-res game appears on the PS3, it's usually just through PSN (see: Rockman 9).

When HD technology gets to a level where it's easier to do things like this

kIdMuScLe

ShinAmano said:
If this does not come out in the US I will import or mod and of the three systems needed to play this...and i only know the Capcom characters :D

ps3 is region free so no need to mod it if you have one

oBa

Are there any location tests later in the month? (Tokyo / Osaka area) I don't arrive back in Japan until the 17th.

Boss Doggie

Anyone notice that the game can be renamed as Yoshitaka Amano and friends vs. Capcom and it would still make sense? XD

TreIII

If they could some how get him to do an art book as a pre-order/special edition bonus, that would be nice, certainly.

TreIII

sp0rsk said:
Amano drawing SF characters would be so weird.

If he draws them in his classical Tatsunoko style, that'd be fine, in my eyes.

I mean, I really don't think that he would use his modern, FF-style for such thing any way. :lol

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
TreIII said:
When a game is set to out-put at one signal by default (in this case, 480p at the most), you have to actually go back and make a version of the game that can output a higher signal (so that it can draw out those extra lines for the higher resolution).

this is nonsense. porting the game to any console would involve rewriting the code, and letting it run in a higher resolution would be trivial -- in fact porting it down to wii would involve more work than porting it up to ps360

TreIII

drohne said:
this is nonsense. porting the game to any console would involve rewriting the code, and letting it run in a higher resolution would be trivial -- in fact porting it down to wii would involve more work than porting it up to ps360

The thing is though, is that the game is reportedly running on what is basically Wii Hardware in an arcade cabinet (which can output 480p at the most). That much being true, porting it to Wii would be basically the same thing as porting a System 246/256 game to the PS2 (like to what is basically like).

To do an upscaled release, Capcom would have to basically go back, and craft a special/specific version of the game that would out-put that higher resolution, and then have it run on a different set of hardware (separate from the original hardware that the Arcade release runs on). That's much more in the way of actual work, as opposed to trying to downscale a game from a higher resolution.

Again, I can't see Capcom doing that, when this game already was made with a specific audience in mind, and was meant to be a decidedly different product from SF4 from Day 1.

I can see the point you're trying to make.

But then again...Namco completely redid the graphics of Tekken Tag and Soul Calibur, which both ran on the System 12, and released them on the PS2 and Dreamcast respectively. The point is they put in the work to redo their art assets vs. just upscaling.

And then Tekken 5 DR, which runs at 1080p, 720p resolutions...

TreIII

Spiderjericho said:
I can see the point you're trying to make.

But then again...Namco completely redid the graphics of Tekken Tag and Soul Calibur, which both ran on the System 12, and released them on the PS2 and Dreamcast respectively. The point is they put in the work to redo their art assets vs. just upscaling.

And then Tekken 5 DR, which runs at 1080p, 720p resolutions...

I know.

But on the same note, in all those instances...that was Namco. THEY have a pretty sizable record of doing such things. We can't necessarily say the same about Capcom though, can we?

To my immediate recollection, the only time Capcom did anything to similar effect was for the aforementioned Kikaioh (Tech Romancer) being ported to DC, and even there, that was just a matter of upscaling the resolution (there were still PSX-level textures to be had).

If Capcom had more of propensity to do things of even that nature, then perhaps I wouldn't be but so "close-minded" about the notion. But again, Capcom's not Namco, so therefore, I can't imagine Capcom spending THAT much money to do such a thing.

In the case that this game is not Wii-exclusive, being ported downward to the PS2 is much more likely than anything else. But I would imagine that if this game was meant to hit the PS2, chances are, Capcom would have made this game for 246/256 in the first place.

TreIII said:
If he draws them in his classical Tatsunoko style, that'd be fine, in my eyes.

I mean, I really don't think that he would use his modern, FF-style for such thing any way. :lol

He's always used his sketchy water color style though. The artists at Tatsunoko would then adapt them to their standard art style.
2aenwx.jpg

So if he drew some Street Fighter characters they most certainly would be in his 'FF' style. Would prob end up with a neat looking rendition of Bison.

TreIII

drohne said:
it's running on taito type x2, i.e. pc-based hardware that outspecs wii even in its weakest configurations: http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=905&page=1#18672

NO, it's not. We don't know exactly what hardware it is, but it's definitely NOT X2.

http://ffl.sakura.ne.jp/rv/box1/tatsuvscap.htm
http://am-net.xtr.jp/game/profile.cgi?_v=1211364559
http://www.tops-game.jp/shinsaku.htm#tatunoko_vs_capcom

Fighter's Front Line, AM-Net, and Tops seem to do more to compliment each other in this facet of it NOT being X2, with FFL going the extra distance to talk about the "Wii Compatible" Board.

Those 3 happen to be very reputed sources of information when it comes to arcade hardware and games.

...That's a bit more than what can be said for System 16, who seems to think that "Fate: Unlimited Codes" and "Sengoku BASARA X" are also Taito X2 games which is VERY, VERY WRONG. They're both System 246/256 games.

Boss Doggie

Space A Cobra said:
He's always used his sketchy water color style though. The artists at Tatsunoko would then adapt them to their standard art style.
2aenwx.jpg

So if he drew some Street Fighter characters they most certainly would be in his 'FF' style. Would prob end up with a neat looking rendition of Bison.

Whoa! XD

So the only character he didn't do is Lightan. XD

Netto-kun

bearcatjosh said:
Every time I see this thread I hope for an announcement of a PS3 release.

I don't want to hack my Wii!
Hack as in installing the Homebrew Channel and GeckoOS? It's really easy to do the installation, and it works without any issues.

As for the loketest at Taito Arcade in Akihabara, it's this Friday right?

phalestine

aka iby.h
qcf x2 said:
People really think this won't be released on current gen consoles beyond the Wii? :lol

Really? :lol

Good times.

I dunno, this game most likely wont come to America, so no 360. and ps3 isn't doing so hot in Japan. most likely ps2, but you never know maybe Nintendo struck a deal.

Top Bottom