• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tatsunoko vs Capcom, new arcade fighter. (Viewtiful Joe in 'da house!)

TreIII

Ookami-kun said:
Yeah, it is a low production game. I think it's pretty much hinted waaay before.

Yep. And that's the thing.

Because the game was one that was definitely built on a "budget", it technically doesn't "need" to sell hundreds upon thousands, in order to do "well", for Capcom's sake. GAF, being GAF, is just over-reacting a bit. :lol

Therefore, for the most part, the numbers that we are seeing thus far, are decent and realistic, considering the circumstances this game was built around.

20,000+ units first week would DEFINITELY be "Bomba!" material for an HD, high-production value game like SF4. But that's not the case here for TvC, which was built on a budget, on relatively inexpensive hardware, and is looking to be limited to (legit) sale in one territory of the world, Japan.

In that light, TvC may end up being in a similar boat as Sengoku BASARA, when it first debuted. BASARA definitely didn't light up the charts for its first game either. However, Capcom obviously saw potential for the game, gave it a MUCH BETTER sequel, and now, it's a series that actually does quite well for Capcom (Arc's Sengoku BASARA X spin-off, not withstanding). Not bad, considering BASARA, too, is a series that's ALSO build on a budget, and also looking to be JP-exclusive for the rest of its lifetime.

So, again, I think people are just over-reacting a bit. All things considered, I think you'll eventually see that Capcom will say that they'll at least be "satisfied" with the sales they got with this game. Then maybe might even go on to give it an expansion/sequel, especially if this game starts to get some nice legs within the next few months.

Dartastic

Alright, I'm sure the answer has already been posted somewhere in this thread, but I'm gonna ask it again damnit. I've got a NA Wii, and I really, really want this game. I also discovered that there's a new Naruto GNT game out, and that really helped tip it over the edge. The problem is, I don't know anything about making this thing region-free. Is it something that can easily be done? What ways can I get around it? Since I'm going to play future Nintendo games that usually require an update, is there some way to get around that? Some help/advice would be super appreciated. Thanks!

Edit - A guide to importing would be great in the OP, also.

^ this game is NOT region free. only way to for you to run this game is to:

1.) buy a Japanese Wii, then import the game and play it on said Wii

2.) do something illegal.

--------------------------------------------

Anyway, I have it as well. It owns. those beating the final boss is a real pain with some characters.

just a few extras left to unlock.

2DMention

Banned
So all you people either bought an extra wii that's embargoed from online or imported a JP system just to play this game?

It's like buying a new release Neo Geo cart game!

Balb

Dartastic said:
Alright, I'm sure the answer has already been posted somewhere in this thread, but I'm gonna ask it again damnit. I've got a NA Wii, and I really, really want this game. I also discovered that there's a new Naruto GNT game out, and that really helped tip it over the edge. The problem is, I don't know anything about making this thing region-free. Is it something that can easily be done? What ways can I get around it? Since I'm going to play future Nintendo games that usually require an update, is there some way to get around that? Some help/advice would be super appreciated. Thanks!

Edit - A guide to importing would be great in the OP, also.

You need a copy of Zelda Twilight Princess (you only need to use it once) and a SD card compatible with the Wii. Once you have those, go to www.wiibrew.org and click on Twilight Hack. Using the twilight hack, install the homebrew channel. Once you have the homebrew channel, use the homebrew browser to download gecko OS. Gecko OS allows you to play games region free.

So all you people either bought an extra wii that's embargoed from online or imported a JP system just to play this game?

It's like buying a new release Neo Geo cart game!

You can still go online, as long as you don't allow the Nintendo Channel to have access to your Wii information.

2DMention

Banned
Future Firmware update will nullify that.

Just import a JP system, or buy an extra Wii.

What's capcoms email address to request a US version? I can't find it on their contact page.

Linkhero1

2DMention said:

What's capcoms email address to request a US version? I can't find it on their contact page.
If petitions do not work, e-mailing them won't either. Also last I heard they were working on localization, but don't get your hopes up for it to actually happen.

Dartastic

Balb said:
You need a copy of Zelda Twilight Princess (you only need to use it once) and a SD card compatible with the Wii. Once you have those, go to www.wiibrew.org and click on Twilight Hack. Using the twilight hack, install the homebrew channel. Once you have the homebrew channel, use the homebrew browser to download gecko OS. Gecko OS allows you to play games region free.

You can still go online, as long as you don't allow the Nintendo Channel to have access to your Wii information.

Thank you! Once I unpack my Wii I'll be sure to give this a go! :D

Tenbatsu

Thank god that there's no online for TvC, heard that Treasure's new Bleach game cant be run on Gecko OS due to some new update related to online games.

TreIII

As of now, I don't think anything has been said about Freeloader. Though I have heard that AnyRegionFree is a good means to counter-act this (thanks to being able to actually make your Wii think it's Japanese when you use the program).

2DMention said:

lol

The future firmware would in turn be hacked in a matter of days. A minor inconvenience is far cheaper than paying for a second Wii.

ph15h

Neo Member
bob digi said:
OMG I can't believe they put
the Okami final boss Yami
in as a boss. That is fucking awesome.
spoiler

:D OMFG

comedy bomb said:
lol

The future firmware would in turn be hacked in a matter of days. A minor inconvenience is far cheaper than paying for a second Wii.

If the internet's taught us anything, if something's been hacked once, it'll be hacked again.

--

:( I really wish liscensing issues didn't impede the localization process. Oh well... I'll buy it when it comes to North America or use a region free device if it never happens.

djdac

Geez finally here!

3119098579_2b9ef7ff47.jpg

turk128

ph15h said:
:( I really wish liscensing issues didn't impede the localization process. Oh well... I'll buy it when it comes to North America or use a region free device if it never happens.
Harmony Gold is an icon amongst trolls.

Tenbatsu

Dam, this game is seriously low budget:lol(high quality low production) That car in Alex mini game is so :lol

And can anyone tell me why are the mini games in 4:3??

I finally managed to beat the last boss with Gold Lightan and with just a sliver of life left. I managed to Barouque him to death just as the firelaser super was headed towards me. Man it was such a pain in the ass. I think whether or not you can win against the boss' third form with Gold Lightan is a bit dependant on luck because you can't avoid his grab super with a megacrush. On one bout that was the only damn super he was using! Also, the fact that he can't be grabbed makes it so if you're ever close to him and hold forward or back and press Strong you'll do a grab animation even though he can't be picked up (wtf!)!

Beating the boss with the Lost Planet character is a hell of a lot more easier thanks to his chainsaw attack: Chainsaw >> Baroque cancel just before you get hit >> repeat.

Multi-hit attacks are the bane of the giant characters' existence.

Dali

Got some play time with this yesterday. It wasn't as awesome as I was expecting but it was still cool. Call it a minor nitpick, but the lack of animated faces really detracts from the fanservice and overall presentation. I also didn't realize how rudimentary some of the models were from watching youtube videos.

The controls seem really watered down when I compare it to MvC2, but I haven't put enough time in or learned enough about the systems to make that my final verdict. That's just my initial impression.

I played the Technoman, Casshern and GForce mini games. They were a nice diversion - certainly no Tekken Bowl - but you can't really complain about bonus stuff.

I still haven't played as everyone yet, but Karas is awesome.

Tenbatsu said:
Dam, this game is seriously low budget:lol(high quality low production) That car in Alex mini game is so :lol

And can anyone tell me why are the mini games in 4:3??
Lol, yeah. I was really taken aback by how, for lack of a better word, "cheap" some stuff looked. The bg's looked like MvC2 quality cg even in the youtube vids, so there was no shock there, but the pre-fight cinematic of stuff like the floating fortress just adds to the lulz. It's certainly a mixed bag as far as graphics go.

Uncle AJ

bob digi said:
OMG I can't believe they put
the Okami final boss Yami
in as a boss. That is fucking awesome.
spoiler

That is pretty badass, but
not many people played Okami through enough to know what Yami looks like. Amaterasu as a playable would have been a more popular (and better) decision IMO.

Oh, and
how awesome would it have been to get your supers taken away from you at the beginning of the Yami fight, then recover each one after each boss phase?

amodf

If you're getting annoyed by chipping from beam supers and megaman, here's a tip!

Mash push block! You won't take any chip past the first 2-3 hits! What a weird thing.

Phloxy

So, I'm all set to do the sd card exploit for my wii, except, I have no sd card reader!.
Would a usb sd card reader do the trick? I have a circuit city like right down my street.

Linkhero1

Phloxy said:
So, I'm all set to do the sd card exploit for my wii, except, I have no sd card reader!.
Would a usb sd card reader do the trick? I have a circuit city like right down my street.
Any SD card reader you can connect to your computer would work, so yes.

amodf said:
If you're getting annoyed by chipping from beam supers and megaman, here's a tip!

Mash push block! You won't take any chip past the first 2-3 hits! What a weird thing.
I also recommend watching the TvC "basics" tutorial on youtube. it discusses all those small things that can make a big difference.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
I got this up and working and love it, I'm waiting for my Super Famicom controller to arrive b4 I get balls deep in it.

I just wish their was less jaggies :\ :

g35twinturbo said:
I got this up and working and love it, I'm waiting for my Super Famicom controller to arrive b4 I get balls deep in it.

I just wish their was less jaggies :\ :
After playing it on an HDTV I thought so too. It looks great in SD though.

MoxManiac

amodf said:

Push block has always been useful for that purpose

amodf

Dreams-Visions said:
I also recommend watching the TvC "basics" tutorial on youtube. it discusses all those small things that can make a big difference.

The internet already knew, shocks!

I thought wave dashing was gone, you couldn't do it at Evo, how weird!

HE FORGOT GOLD LIGHTANS SNAP BACK HE IS A FRAUD.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I haven't received mine yet. Oh well, I guess that's what you get for choosing the second cheapest delivery option. The game was shipped on December 9th though, so it shouldn't be long.

I just hope I'll get it by Wednesday though, since it's a Christmas present.

Gantz

Banned
Kilrogg said:
I haven't received mine yet. Oh well, I guess that's what you get for choosing the second cheapest delivery option. The game was shipped on December 9th though, so it shouldn't be long.

mine shipped on the 12th! still waitng :(

Dascu

Kilrogg said:

Mine shipped on the 9th, cheap delivery, and arrived here (Belgium) this Thursday. Yours should arrive soon.

Anony

i just want to confirm this:
this is NO vs mode with cpu
it's either arcade, time, or survival mode, and vs is ONLY for 2p

Top Bottom