• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thor 3: Ragnarok | Production Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomtom94

Most of the problems with Thors 1 and 2 come from the slightly weak scripts, so getting rewrites of those (first by Folsom and now, presumably, by Waititi) will go a long way.

I watched What We Do In The Shadows yesterday and my main thought was how unconventional it was. If Taika can bring even 5% of that to Ragnarok it should be really good.

http://mcuexchange.com/new-set-photos-appear-to-show-avengers-quinjet-on-the-set-of-thor-ragnarok/

Obviously, this is a very early set, so we can’t confirm 100% that what we’re seeing is indeed the Quinjet. However looking closely at the photo, we can see the rounded front of the jet along with the start of one of the wings.

quinjet_ragnarok2-1440x602.png

Pachimari

So with the Quinjet he ends up in Asgard? Or somewhere on Earth and that's where it picks up in Ragnarok? I thought he had crashed into the sea.

mjc

So with the Quinjet he ends up in Asgard? Or somewhere on Earth and that's where it picks up in Ragnarok? I thought he had crashed into the sea.

All we have is Fury (Or Widow's? I forget..) word that it crashed into the sea at the end of Ultron. Could have been lying.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10CfwfKXfSI

So supposedly Thor: Ragnarok will connect with Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2.

Our source tells us that Thor and Hulk will in some way encounter the Cotati, one of the oldest species of aliens in the Marvel Universe. The Cotati are best known as the race of aliens to awaken powers within Mantis, who will be making her debut in Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2. In the comics, the Cotati are portrayed as a mostly stationary plant-like species who rely on their telepathic abilities, but it appears the cinematic version will look similar to Mantis.

With the Cotati originating from Hala, the home planet of the Kree, it’s not that big of a stretch to assume that Hala will be one of the stops on Ragnarok’s “universal road trip”. Unfortunately, our source wasn’t able to confirm whether Mantis herself will be making an appearance. One thing we know for sure is that Marvel Studios is set to expand the cosmic side of the MCU in a big way in 2017 as they prepare for 2018’s Avengers: Infinity War.

Pachimari

Natalie Portman is one of my absolute favorite actresses so I am deeply saddened to see Jane Foster turn our such crap in the MCU. :(

Vic_Viper

Which books should I read before seeing this other than planet Hulk? Where does the Ragnorok storyline take place in Thor?

The Kree

Banned
Which books should I read before seeing this other than planet Hulk? Where does the Ragnorok storyline take place in Thor?

There are two Ragnarok stories. One took place in Thor Vol. 1 #272-278. The other took place in Thor Vol. 2 #80-85 under the 'Avengers Disassembled' banner. They're both very good, but I prefer the second one.

Planet Hulk takes place in The Incredible Hulk Vol 3. #88-105. It drags a little bit in some places, but it's also very good.

There are two Ragnarok stories. One took place in Thor Vol. 1 #272-278. The other took place in Thor Vol. 2 #80-85 under the 'Avengers Disassembled' banner. They're both very good, but I prefer the second one.

Planet Hulk takes place in The Incredible Hulk Vol 3. #88-105. It drags a little bit in some places, but it's also very good.

how much does the animated Planet Hulk resemble the comic story arc?

Vic_Viper

Do I read the Avengers stuff too for Ragnarok starting at issue 500?

The Kree

Banned
Do I read the Avengers stuff too for Ragnarok starting at issue 500?

No. It's good, but it's not directly connected to Ragnarok. Avengers Disassembled was sort of a branding for a bunch of loosely related stories about the Avengers falling apart.

It's good if you wanna get in on a decade's worth of high quality Scarlet Witch fuckery.

F!ReW!Re

I want to add that she's fantastic in V for Vendetta.
Didn't enjoy her much in Thor or Star Wars, but she's a very good actress.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I still have trouble imagining what the plot of this movie is going to be like, but I'm going to withhold judgment for now. Age of Ultron seemed like it might be overstuffed and it kinda was; Civil War seemed like it was going to be *more* overstuffed (despite my faith in the writing/directing team behind it) and it ended up being incredibly well executed and a nicely focused ensemble piece. For now I think those movies have taught me to withhold judgment until I see the movie; I'm definitely excited about the parts that will be in it and only uncertain about exactly how those parts will actually fit together.

SpaceWolf

Banned
The academy disagrees ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Halle-Berry-Oscar.jpg

What The Academy decides on behalf of everybody else isn't always gospel. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

See Also: Crash.

I have a hard time judging that as I'm not a native speaker, but if I look at her acting in that, it's definitely great in my book. Those fake imprisonment/release scenes are very well acted IMO.

I think the primary reason Natalie's performance in that film sticks out on your head is mostly because of those scenes in particular (eg. scenes where she was demanded to show a certain hysterical intensity of emotion), as opposed to literally everything else she ended up doing in that film. Portman as actress often excels in scenes where she's asked to scream or cry, but more often than not...when it comes to delivering naturalistic, believable performances in her films, she often comes across as unnaturally wooden and awkward. But because she's been involved in scenes where she can scream and cry, something Portman can do relatively well, she's applauded by mainstream audiences as being an extremely talented actress.

RedLetterMedia likes to talk about this phenomenon on occasion. See also: The Leonardo DiCaprio effect, where they cite Natalie Portman's rather lacking ability as a film actress as an additional example of the effect in action

Do we even know if he'll have a new one?

Every character gets their costume tweaked between films (and that's sort of about action figures). We already know he's getting a haircut in this (right?), so perhaps his new costume will be more dramatically different than the other ones he's had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom