• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC Hit With Massive Antitrust Lawsuit By Former Fighters

Status
Not open for further replies.

strobogo

Banned
Interesting that Dana White is an asshole swindler. Kind of like...a boxing promoter? Ive heard for years from UFC fans about how "pure" their sport is compared to the corruption in boxing.

Well he came up in boxing as an amateur fighter and trainer, so I'm sure he picked up some of the tricks of the trade. Dana has ALWAYS been unprofessional and shady. I'm amazed something like this has taken so long to pop up. This kind of thing has been a topic of discussion since at least 2007 if not earlier.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
The Scarecrow

XKoEcNp.jpg

Yes, I am well aware that WWE isn't paradise, I was simply contrasting with the UFC, which is the subject of this thread, and pointing out that the UFC is in fact worse in many ways than the notoriously scummy WWE.

I have absolutely no idea what point you are trying to make about guaranteed contracts. My point was that in WWE wrestlers are guaranteed a certain amount a year, while in UFC you don't make a dime if you don't fight. If you're injured, tough luck.

They don't offer complete medical insurance because that would threaten the independent contractor status, same reason they don't pay for hotels and rental cars.

I have not heard anything about not paying medical expenses for at least 10-15 years.

And I think it's stupid to have a fan wanking contest over who is the most scummy company over a few differences (WWE doesn't offer medical insurance, UFC fucks fighters over with videogames, etc.) when in reality, they're both shitty. There's no valid defences for either company.

As for the point I was making about guaranteed contracts, isn't it blatantly obvious? You said wrestlers aren't paid per match and you're wrong, they are.

Interesting that Dana White is an asshole swindler. Kind of like...a boxing promoter? Ive heard for years from UFC fans about how "pure" their sport is compared to the corruption in boxing.

It's pure in the sense that it's one promotion, whereas boxing every major boxer has his own promotion and own self interest. So there's very few issues like Paquaio and Mayweather not fighting in UFC. But that gets abused and allows the UFC to treat lesser fighters like shit.

coleco

It's pure in the sense that it's one promotion, whereas boxing every major boxer has his own promotion and own self interest. So there's very few issues like Paquaio and Mayweather not fighting in UFC.

They do get into those problems too. Remember how long it took for Ortiz to fight Liddell or how they never managed to get Fedor fight for the ufc.

They do get into those problems too. Remember how long it took for Ortiz to fight Liddell or how they never managed to get Fedor fight for the ufc.

Those are rare exceptions. You are never going to have a situation in the UFC where a guy just flat out refuses to fight a number 1 contender. That happens all the time in boxing. Guys will just forfeit a title to avoid a fight because the titles don't mean anything.

coleco

Well he came up in boxing as an amateur fighter and trainer, so I'm sure he picked up some of the tricks of the trade.

Dana White has never been able to provide any real proof of being an amateur boxer or trainer other than his claims in interviews. Not a single hint that anything about his boxing 'career' is true other than he used to teach 'boxercise', basically aerobics with some boxing movements. He probably trained in a boxing gym and managed some fighters but nobody has ever seen any of his claimed 13-4 amateur record fights. No videos, no pictures, no witnesses, no rivals, no trainers, no promoters, no documents, nothing.

strobogo

Banned
Dana White has never been able to provide any real proof of being an amateur boxer or trainer other than his claims in interviews. Not a single hint that anything about his boxing 'career' is true other than he used to teach 'boxercise', basically aerobics with some boxing movements. He probably trained in a boxing gym and managed some fighters but nobody has ever seen any of his claimed 13-4 amateur record fights. No videos, no pictures, no witnesses, no rivals, no trainers, no promoters, no documents, nothing.

So what you're saying is he's been a carny cunt from the very start.

YaGaMi

But Tito "The People's Champ" Ortiz backed out of a charity boxing match against him! Lol

coleco

Those are rare exceptions. You are never going to have a situation in the UFC where a guy just flat out refuses to fight a number 1 contender. That happens all the time in boxing. Guys will just forfeit a title to avoid a fight because the titles don't mean anything.

In boxing avoiding those fights has more resonance since the belt orgs make the mandatory rivals known and giving up the belts becomes public information. Also, there are a number of boxing orgs, with varying importance and money revenue, so sometimes there's certain 'strategy' in giving up a 'cheaper' belt to avoid an uncomfortable fight or to get a shot at another most valued title.

On the other hand, in ufc we don't usually get the inside info on negotiations, though that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. GSP refused to fight Silva, Jon Jones refused to fight Chael Sonnen, Rousey and Cyborg never fought afaik, etc.

I think it still happens just like in every other contact sport but you'll probably won't see a fighter forfeiting his belt or the ufc forcing him out because it would be a loss of investment for the ufc after building up the fighter and it would also mean career suicide for the fighter. This probably makes both parties eager to find a solution most of the times.

So what you're saying is he's been a carny cunt from the very start.

I'd think so, at least with the evidence we have so far.

In boxing avoiding those fights has more resonance since the belt orgs make the mandatory rivals known and giving up the belts becomes public information. Also, there are a number of boxing orgs, with varying importance and money revenue, so sometimes there's certain 'strategy' in giving up a 'cheaper' belt to avoid an uncomfortable fight or to get a shot at another most valued title.

On the other hand, in ufc we don't usually get the inside info on negotiations, though that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. GSP refused to fight Silva, Jon Jones refused to fight Chael Sonnen, Rousey and Cyborg never fought afaik, etc.

I think it still happens just like in every other contact sport but you'll probably won't see a fighter forfeiting his belt or the ufc forcing him out because it would be a loss of investment for the ufc after building up the fighter and it would also mean career suicide for the fighter. This probably makes both parties eager to find a solution most of the times.

Those examples aren't the same thing really. GSP and Silva fought in different weight classes (which were far wider in weight than what you see in boxing), Jones refused to fight Sonnen on short notice and he went on to fight him with a normal training camp, and Rousey and Cyborg were another case of fighting in different divisions (though far closer in weight than GSP/Silva).

Those specific cases are different from Boxing Champs refusing to fight guys who actually fight in the same weight class or in some cases actually hold a different belt in the same weight class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom