• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 0429-050116 - Winter (Soldier & Super Friends) is coming... does $200m+ WW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeytj

Banned
People were calling 200+ for the weekend. Industry forecasters, trade magazines, box-office experts of the professional and amateur varieties. People were calling for $200 mil. I did it myself. I saw more than a few other people do it.

If it comes in at 180, that's 20 mil less than basically all of us had talked ourselves into believing was possible.

Of course, a lot of us were initially calling shit like 175-185. Some of us going up to 190. But something about this last week-and-a-half had everyone get real optimistic about the opening weekend.

We were too optimistic, it turns out.

Granted, that doesn't change the fact that if we hold this movie to the standards we were holding it to before our momentary lapse of reason, it'd still be an amazing success. It still is an amazing success. It's going to be a top 5 opening weekend of all time.

But we can note that amazing success while simultaneously acknowledging that some of us both here and at the trades and the sites specific to box-office hawks overreached.

Should that be held against the film? I dunno. I don't know that this number is really disappointing so far as Marvel is concerned. But it's basically got a month of competition-free run and what appears to be great word of mouth. So even if it were, I bet that disappointment gets rinsed out with reciepts from the following weeks.

I'm almost 100% sure (in hindsight, who isn't) that it would've reached $200 OW in North America a week ago, and I believe the hype levels were off the charts worldwide last week, but somehow the Disney marketing machine miscalculated a bit and couldn't keep it up this week in the U.S.

But, honestly, $180 million is still great and probably more in line with Disney's original estimates, and final numbers will be out tomorrow night, monday (although GoT might hurt it a bit). What are the numbers for the second week WW?

Azazzel

And a happy Chris Evans means more gifs of him laughing. Everybody wins.

Best pic of Chris yet:

9qgrbyh.jpg

kswiston

Oh, I'm talking about Guardians Part 2. Stock has risen since then.

Ah. Who knows. He's reportedly getting $12M for Passengers, but Marvel hasn't been the best place for paydays unless you are RDJ.

I'm surprised we didn't get Friday updates for the international numbers today.

Oh, I'm talking about Guardians Part 2. Stock has risen since then.

Don't they cast B-listers or relative unknowns so they can sign them to huge multi-film contracts? I thought that's why RDJ gets to renegotiate for massive money on every movie now.

Don't they cast B-listers or relative unknowns so they can sign them to huge multi-film contracts? I thought that's why RDJ gets to renegotiate for massive money on every movie now.

I thought RDJ got to renegotiate because he basically ran out his contract, not because he was such a big name coming into it.

Black Panther needs to be black as fuck. It's finally our time. Not really a fan of any other avengers being in there for longer than maybe a cameo.

With BP being the movie that's supposed to set up Infinity War, I find that unlikely.

kswiston

They're giving Scarlet Jo like $20M +

and apparently Evans is getting a huge payday now too.

Well, both of them have 5 films under their belt.

I wonder what's happening with Chris Hemsworth. His half dozen bombs in a row outside of his MCU stuff probably doesn't add to his bargaining power.

I thought RDJ got to renegotiate because he basically ran out his contract, not because he was such a big name coming into it.

This is correct. He didn't make a ton on the first Iron Man.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2016/04/16/what-is-robert-downey-jrs-net-worth.aspx
However, Marvel and director John Favreau were still taking a chance in casting the actor, and he was reportedly paid just $500,000 for his first turn as Tony Stark. Series follow-up Iron Man 2 reportedly saw the actor command $10 million in pay, and his compensation continued to expand rapidly in subsequent Marvel films.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/robert-downey-jr-to-join-captain-america-3-exclusive-1201312229/
Downey, who earned $50 million for “The Avengers” and a reported $75 million for “Iron Man 3,” will collect around $40 million plus backend participation for “Captain America 3,” said sources, and will receive an additional payout if “Captain America 3” outperforms “Captain America: The Winter Soldier’s” $714 million worldwide haul. Since the actor did not appear in the first two “Captain America” films, the thinking is that if the third installment surpasses the last movie, its success could be attributed to Downey.

Iron Man needs to die just to bring budgets down.

Lebron

Well, both of them have 5 films under their belt.

I wonder what's happening with Chris Hemsworth. His half dozen bombs in a row outside of his MCU stuff probably doesn't add to his bargaining power.

He was getting like $5M? Not sure if he's getting a pay raise for Ragnarok. Mark was getting the lowest salary from the original group (not surprising). Not saying Marvel isn't known for being tight with the money, but people acting like they're paying them Daisy Ridley and John Boyega salaries lol. I don't see why the original cast shouldn't be earning at least $5M minimum by now, though.

But yeah, the pay gap between RDJ and everyone else is pretty ridiculous. I can understand in the beginning, but now? Nah.

kswiston

Robert Downey Jr's IMDB page shows a pretty clear picture of when he started making the megabucks. He's basically just Iron Man now with the odd interest film every couple of years.

He was getting like $5M? Not sure if he's getting a pay raise for Ragnarok. Mark was getting the lowest salary from the original group (not surprising). Not saying Marvel isn't known for being tight with the money, but people acting like they're paying them Daisy Ridley and John Boyega salaries lol. I don't see why the original cast shouldn't be earning at least $5M minimum by now, though.

But yeah, the pay gap between RDJ and everyone else is pretty ridiculous. I can understand in the beginning, but now? Nah.

I'm not sure about Scarlett, but most of the Phase 1 cast did get Boyega money for their first film. Hemsworth and Evans got like 300k a piece for the original Thor and Captain America.

At this point, I believe a lot of it is backend money?

I assume Marvel is hoping Black Panther/Captain Marvel will be their Iron Man/Captain America by time Infinity War 2 is done.

Lebron

I'm not sure about Scarlett, but most of the Phase 1 cast did get Boyega money for their first film. Hemsworth and Evans got like 300k a piece for the original Thor and Captain America.
I can understand that. No one knew it would take off like it did and the only "big" film was the IM films. By AoU they all were at least making over $3M or so, iirc. I'm sure everyone will get a pay raise for IW considering the time commitment involved.

But yeah, they need to bring RDJ back down to Earth. I'm glad Evans is getting that big pay raise though. He should be up there with Scarlet Jo come IW.
MHWilliams said:
At this point, I believe a lot of it is backend money?

I assume Marvel is hoping Black Panther/Captain Marvel will be their Iron Man/Captain America by time Infinity War 2 is done.
Yeah, mostly. But they still pay him more, base salary wise. They can't seem to get him back down with everyone else. I'm sure he's making bank to be in SM Homecoming, too.

kswiston

Yeah, mostly. But they still pay him more, base salary wise. They can't seem to get him back down with everyone else. I'm sure he's making bank to be in SM Homecoming, too.

Well, the MCU films will cumulatively break $10B Worldwide in two weeks, and RDJ's 6 MCU films make up two thirds of that. He's in a pretty good bargaining position.

Perlmutter's outta there too.

So that's gonna help when it comes to actor salaries going northward.

I'm almost 100% sure (in hindsight, who isn't) that it would've reached $200 OW in North America a week ago, and I believe the hype levels were off the charts worldwide last week, but somehow the Disney marketing machine miscalculated a bit and couldn't keep it up this week in the U.S.

I was thinking something along the same lines, as a matter of fact.

Lebron

Well, the MCU films will cumulatively break $10B Worldwide in two weeks, and RDJ's 6 MCU films make up two thirds of that. He's in a pretty good bargaining position.

Yeah. He's probably has the cushiest gig of any actor I can think of (outside of Jack Nicholson getting that Batman % money back in the day). He's box office poison outside of MCU, but the guy prints gold bars as Tony. He could probably say "pay them more" and that would be the end of that.

I remember their being rumors that Ike wanted to drop RDJ from Marvel films over his demands for screen time and money in Civil War.

Oh yeah, there was definitely some shit that went down over that. I believe his trying to push Downey out of Marvel entirely was one of the things that caused Feige to be like "Fuck this, I'm making the play."

Asbel

Name a past billion dollar Marvel movie without Iron Man in it. Now name a future billion dollar Marvel movie without Iron Man in it. Cap had two movies and Spidey had five movies to try to hit a billion dollars without Iron Man.

Cutting the budget is counterproductive if you lose more in revenue.

Branduil

Um. I'm not actually sure how to speak for anyone else but myself.

I'm just saying, I personally could not have given any less of a shit what happened to blue furry Sam Worthington.

Actually probably would have preferred if he'd died so Cameron couldn't inflict him on us in the sequels.

Vanity Fair had a good article about the Perlmutter split last year: http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/09/marvel-studios-ike-perlmutter-kevin-feige

I remember there being rumors that Ike wanted to drop RDJ from Marvel films over his demands for screen time and money in Civil War.

Oh yeah, there was definitely some shit that went down over that. I believe his trying to push Downey out of Marvel entirely was one of the things that caused Feige to be like "Fuck this, I'm making the play."

How would Civil War have even worked without RDJ?

3N16MA

Banned
Name a past billion dollar Marvel movie without Iron Man in it. Now name a future billion dollar Marvel movie without Iron Man in it. Cap had two movies and Spidey had five movies to try to hit a billion dollars without Iron Man.

Cutting the budget is counterproductive if you lose more in revenue.

Spidey and Ant-Man team up. 1.5B.

suaveric

I'm pretty sure RDJ is the only one who is getting huge pay days still. Chris Evans signed a 9 picture deal to play Capatian America, Marvel really took the lessons they learned after Iron Man to heart.

I'm pretty sure RDJ is the only one who is getting huge pay days still. Chris Evans signed a 9 picture deal to play Capatian America, Marvel really took the lessons they learned after Iron Man to heart.

He only signed 6 initially I think, he extended for a couple more.

He only signed 6 initially I think, he extended for a couple more.

A six picture deal for Evans is basically Cap 1-3 and Avengers 1-3. The only things that would have to be negotiated would be whether Infinity War counts as one movie or two, and the 10 second cameo in Thor 2.

Replicant

A six picture deal for Evans is basically Cap 1-3 and Avengers 1-3. The only things that would have to be negotiated would be whether Infinity War counts as one movie or two, and the 10 second cameo in Thor 2.

It's a done deal. His contract is now extended to 7 films, indicating that he'll be in both IW1 and 2.

I'm too lazy to look it up, but even if it was only 6 movies, Civil War was still part of that original contract.

oh, the Rolling Stone article gave me the impression that he extended for this movie, my bad.

Yeah I totally forgot about that cameo, I wonder why he was the (only) guy they got

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
We’re hearing that Disney’s/Marvel’s Captain America: Civil War cashed in a $60M-$61M Saturday, the fifth highest ever, beating Avengers: Age of Ultron‘s $56.5M last year. This points Civil War in the $180M-$183M vicinity, which would make it the fifth highest opening of all-time. By EOD tomorrow, Civil War is poised to hit $700M worldwide, and is on its way to profit in its theatrical run after a $250M production cost, and an estimated global P&A near Ultron’s $180M.

Pretty amazing. Winter Soldier stands at $714M.

http://deadline.com/2016/05/captain...weekend-box-office-summer-records-1201750394/

Yeah. He's probably has the cushiest gig of any actor I can think of (outside of Jack Nicholson getting that Batman % money back in the day). He's box office poison outside of MCU, but the guy prints gold bars as Tony. He could probably say "pay them more" and that would be the end of that.

Eh, I doubt he is poison at all. It just needs to be an appealing role. The Sherlock Holmes movies didn't make bank on the strength of Jude Law and Guy Ritchie. But, yeah, he can't push The Judge to big numbers.

oh, the Rolling Stone article gave me the impression that he extended for this movie, my bad.

Yeah I totally forgot about that cameo, I wonder why he was the (only) guy they got

Cameos were built into most of the original contracts. Feige said as much in a Deadline interview this week. And he's not the only one- RDJ cameo'd in Hulk, Ruffalo in IM3, Sam Jackson in Cap, Renner in Thor, Mackie in Ant-Man, etc. Also I feel like I read somewhere that he did the Thor 2 cameo gratis and didn't have it apply against his contract but I may be confusing that with a different cameo.

Eh, I doubt he is poison at all. It just needs to be an appealing role. The Sherlock Holmes movies didn't make bank on the strength of Jude Law and Guy Ritchie. But, yeah, he can't push The Judge to big numbers.

Cameos were built into most of the original contracts. Feige said as much in a Deadline interview this week. And he's not the only one- RDJ cameo'd in Hulk, Ruffalo in IM3, Sam Jackson in Cap, Renner in Thor, Mackie in Ant-Man, etc. Also I feel like I read somewhere that he did the Thor 2 cameo gratis and didn't have it apply against his contract but I may be confusing that with a different cameo.

I'm not sure I count that, seeing as that was just an Avengers scene shown early, like the Civil War scene that was in Ant-Man last year.

I'm not sure I count that, seeing as that was just an Avengers scene shown early, like the Civil War scene that was in Ant-Man last year.

? What do you mean? It's not an Avengers scene- it's the ending to the first Captain America movie. Same thing with Ant-Man- that was not a Civil War scene either.

GhaleonEB

I'm just saying, I personally could not have given any less of a shit what happened to blue furry Sam Worthington.
I'm more or less there with you, though I did like him. Neytiri though, rawr.

So Civil war had a smaller set of Thursday previews and Friday proper as compared to (raise your hand if you saw this coming) BvS ($75m v $81m). But Saturday is going to be ~$10m higher for Civil War. The gap in their respective legs is already apparent by day 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom