• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 08•07-09•15 - Gifted MI5 cruises by F4. DBZ fans still warm 4 Frieza's form

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

Mmmh wonder if Dr. Doom could work with these guys?
They got "kinda Mole Man" at the end of their movie
tumblr_n2nb4vgLRW1rf73xqo1_500.png

Would be beneath Doom's notice

That tweet is gonna haunt Trank for a hot minute.

It's been in every article since he dropped it.

The next X-men movie is more likely. They're gonna lose Jackman and Lawrence for sure. McAvoy and Fassbender are question marks even though they've both said they're open to returning. They need a draw and a cross-over would be it.
Why would they crossover with terrible characters from critical and commercial flop?

dramatis

sony was spouting similar, crazy shit after ASM2. "a sinister six movie! a venom movie! an aunt may movie!"

it's not going to happen. F4 in MCU is coming, even if it's just Galactus and Doom.
Sony changed their mind because of extreme circumstances though. Unless you would like to pay North Korea to hack Fox?

The next X-men movie is more likely. They're gonna lose Jackman and Lawrence for sure. McAvoy and Fassbender are question marks even though they've both said they're open to returning. They need a draw and a cross-over would be it.

A cross over wouldn't draw anyone.

To open this low shows complete non interest in the characters or universe. If anything putting F4 in X-Men could hurt the franchise.

Fox will probably either keep the rights as long as possible out of spite for Marvel or sell them off at this point

kswiston

Worldwide Updates:

Fantastic Four - $60M
Terminator Genisys - $322M
Mission Impossible: rogue Nation - $265M
Pixels - $131M
Jurassic World - $1.581B
Minions - $913M
Inside Out - $635M
Ant-Man - $326M

Fantastic Four will be the first Marvel/DC failure since the Avengers launched.

Fox isn't going to taint their only success with these guys.

FF is done until another reboot or the rights revert

If they lose all four of those actors, X-men won't be in a much better place than F4. You're biggest draw at that point is Channing Tatum as Gambit? Yeah, no.

Worldwide Updates:

Fantastic Four - $60M
Terminator Genisys - $322M
Mission Impossible: rogue Nation - $265M
Pixels - $131M
Jurassic World - $1.581B
Minions - $913M
Inside Out - $635M
Ant-Man - $326M

Fantastic Four will be the first Marvel/DC failure since the Avengers launched.

Its a Fox production.

Sony changed their mind because of extreme circumstances though. Unless you would like to pay North Korea to hack Fox?

Sony didn't sit down and negotiate because they got hacked, they say down because ASM 2 underperformed by about $250 million and their cinematic universe was a non starter with its toxic WOM.

If they lose all four of those actors, X-men won't be in a much better place than F4. You're biggest draw at that point is Channing Tatum as Gambit? Yeah, no.

Xavier and Magneto can be recast, they have been once already. Plus there are literally dozens of Xmen you can tell interesting stories about that aren't Wolverine. The franchise is fine.

Abounder

Banned
Fox can still play the fan service card like they did with Deadpool. Reboot/crossover F4 and have the characters look and sound more like the icons they represent...and bam! you've got a $50m+ opening weekend.

The guys at Fox are out of options now. The film bombed critically and financially, there won't be a crossover to save the brand, the previous films were critical duds and rebooting again will lose them more money. I really wonder what they'll decide to do.
Yep. What a terrible way to celebrate graduating high school.
I was close to finishing primary school, but I redeemed myself with the midnight launch of the last Harry Potter book.

Thats not what he said though.

No, it is, you just thought it wasn't.

I mean, you really think the guy who pretty much holds down the box-office discussions here week in and week out was confused as to what studio made the movie?

Fox can still play the fan service card like they did with Deadpool. Reboot/crossover F4 and have the characters look and sound more like the icons they represent...and bam! you've got a $50m+ opening weekend.

Would this even work though? The characters themselves, even when written very well in their own comics, recently went pretty much ignored by that audience. Fox could be like "Look - we're finally making that period-piece early '60s FF movie that everyone wants" and I'm not sure anyone would still show up at this point. "Fantastic Four" just might not engender any real excitement among general audiences, period.

WillyFive

Mmmh wonder if Dr. Doom could work with these guys?
They got "kinda Mole Man" at the end of their movie
tumblr_n2nb4vgLRW1rf73xqo1_500.png

You know, The Incredibles are more likely to be included in the MCU as the replacement for the Fantastic Four if this keeps up. Would be interesting, somehow.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
I'm a little sad F4 didn't work out. I would've been there day one if it was just as cheesy as the older movies. But the second they said it was going to grounded my hopes were gone.

MI RN deserves that success though. Cruise never fails.

mreddie

“The confluence of clearly the decidedly negative reviews with the combination of social media did not help the cause,” said Fox distribution chief Chris Aronson.

Welcome to 2015 guys, the same reason why Die Hard 5 bombed and why Future Past got more money than First Class.

NOTHING STOPS THE CRUISE MISSILE

Dem Ants keep chugging, already passed 300 million internationally.
Scott/Hope duo film in 2019 please!

And holy shit, DBZ making cash for just a limited time, bravo guys.

Nice to see The Gift getting a profit, once again, Blumhouse makes crap but then, when they make good films, they are memorable.

duckroll

26 million. Jesus Christ. At the start of the week estimates were going at 50+ million for the opening. The word of mouth must have been fucking toxic even before it opened. Trank's tweet sure didn't help.

kswiston

He knows.

It's still based on a Marvel property. The point is that since Avengers, there hasn't been a film based on characters from either of the big two that has done this badly.

Yup. Not counting Ant-Man's unfinished run, we haven't had a Marvel/DC superhero film from Fox, Sony, Disney, or WB fail to hit $400M worldwide since the Avengers launched.

Considering the near worldwide launch this weekend, Fantastic Four is going to limp to $200M without a Chinese release (nothing scheduled yet)

Son Of D

Still need to see Rogue Nation. Heard good things about it.

Also, I'm curious to see the differences between Genisys and Fantastic Four worldwide when all is said and done.

Dysun

Even if that was true the young X-men cast in Apocalypse is more than enough to retool the franchise without introducing the toxic FF 2015 crew into a crossover.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
if we were really lucky a sizable chuck of people would think fantastic four was an actual marvel movie and this would help taint their brand a bit, but people are always informed about the wrong things.

Busty

Banned
Lol get ready for f4 characters in gambit.

But rather than being featured cameos they'll just be milling about in the background serving drinks or parking cars.

I can just see a date scene in a restaurant where Miles Teller saunters up to the table asks Tatum's Gambit if he'd like some black pepper?

26 million. Jesus Christ. At the start of the week estimates were going at 50+ million for the opening. The word of mouth must have been fucking toxic even before it opened. Trank's tweet sure didn't help.

Trank's Tweet just gave the whole story a tabloid angle which perfectly 'weaponised' the toxic word of mouth going into the weekend.

seeing Shaun not making good numbers pains me to no end. That movie is golden

Dialogue-free stop-motion animation isn't going to get people into the cinema, unfortunately.

Shaun is one of the best kids movies in years and years, and very few kids
outside of the UK
are ever going to see it.

seeing Shaun not making good numbers pains me to no end. That movie is golden

When I saw those numbers, I thought it was just in limited release.

Oh how I wish that was just in limited release.

Granted, I've not seen anything about the movie in ads. Does anyone even know it exists in the US?

Cheebo

Banned
The last few X-Men films have been both critical and financial successes. They aren't going to taint the X-Men franchise with F4. No chance of s crossover whatsoever.

Christopher

I actually prefer Christopher Ayres. His Frieza is actually more faithful to his Japanese characterization (being regal to the point of being condescending). Nothing against Linda Young, but her Frieza sounded like a chain smoker.

Who cares about the Japanese characterization I noticed anime is so dull now when they try to be super serious faithful. Friezas old voice s iconic

Cheebo

Banned
I'd watch this Power Rangers movie. X-Men on the other hand...yeah I'll still be seeing it.
Singer deserves the benefit of the doubt. All of the 3 X-Men movies he has directed are varying degrees of good. It doesn't hurt his X2 still remains the far and away best Marvel super hero film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom