• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 08•07-09•15 - Gifted MI5 cruises by F4. DBZ fans still warm 4 Frieza's form

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Fex

This is just like console wars, but somehow almost worse.

There's shops, gifs and soon probably avatars of directors/executives.

ZoddGutts

Mmmh wonder if Dr. Doom could work with these guys?
They got "kinda Mole Man" at the end of their movie
tumblr_n2nb4vgLRW1rf73xqo1_500.png

Would love if the sequel has a Doom type villain as a big FU from Pixar/Disney to Fox in showing how it should be done right.

Slashfilm guys were talking about how F4 could work as a retro film - say a film set in the 70s.

I'd dig it. Actually, no, it would still bomb because this is the lamest group of superheroes on the planet.

The Incredibles was Fantastic Four done better.
Wasn't that the original vibe that the 2005 film was supposed to have when Peyton Reed was attached to it? I thought I remember hearing about him wanting to make it set in the 60s.

Wasn't that the original vibe that the 2005 film was supposed to have when Peyton Reed was attached to it? I thought I remember hearing about him wanting to make it set in the 60s.

Yup. Fox's initial attempt at the property was getting the guy who just made them some money on "Down With Love" to apply that same aesthetic to Fantastic Four. I don't remember why it fell apart though. Might have been cost.

Yup. Fox's initial attempt at the property was getting the guy who just made them some money on "Down With Love" to apply that same aesthetic to Fantastic Four. I don't remember why it fell apart though. Might have been cost.

Probably cost and that Down With Love wasn't a huge hit either. Even if the budget was low, it only made $20m domestic.

But an FF movie in that kind of style would have been fun.

G-Fex

Good thing they went with the Burger Kingified FF movie.

Toothless

The real winner of the weekend is The Gift; it was tracking at half of what it made with a solid chance of making under 5M this weekend. Great reviews managed to triumph over the poor tracking and abysmal marketing. Excellent start for STX; no one would've guessed The Gift domestically would make more than Fantastic Four opening weekend.

Exactly, & we all know how that turned out. I'm going with false bravado for now.

When was the last time you heard a movie studio say "we fucked up, and we know we fucked up"? Especially this close to release, it'll kill whatever tiny legs the movie might actually have.

My dad, sister, aunt and I were going to go watch Fantastic Four this weekend, but my cousin called my aunt and told her to tell us not to waste our money and convinced us to not go. So we went to see Mission Impossible instead.

That's negative word of mouth for you.

Joeytj

Banned
LOL didn't Trank kinda already say that, though?

Haha, but Trank's gone rouge for a while now and can't be counted as part of "the studio." In fact, he's tweet probably sank the movie even more.

It really did turn out to be a perfect storm for the movie. With $60M worldwide this week and horrible word of mouth in every country, there's a real possibility it won't even cross the $100 million mark ever.

mreddie

The real winner of the weekend is The Gift; it was tracking at half of what it made with a solid chance of making under 5M this weekend. Great reviews managed to triumph over the poor tracking and abysmal marketing. Excellent start for STX; no one would've guessed The Gift domestically would make more than Fantastic Four opening weekend.

They're connected to AMC (Cinema Company) and Universal Home Video? Huh.

Ploid 3.0

Welp Trank isn't going to work for a major studio ever again.

Ah dang, I liked Chronicle and didn't even know about the people behind this movie. It's a shame that it's apparently bad. Maybe he's better off working on lower profile projects. Since Chronicle I wanted to see what it would be like if the people behind it actually worked on a super hero movie.

Haha, but Trank's gone rouge for a while now and can't be counted as part of "the studio." In fact, he's tweet probably sank the movie even more.

It really did turn out to be a perfect storm for the movie. With $60M worldwide this week and horrible word of mouth in every country, there's a real possibility it won't even cross the $100 million mark ever.

Especially since the rumors are that it won't play in China at all.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Mi5 was great. Theater I went to was super empty though.

Interested in seeing the gift to see what the twist is now after the critical reception.

GloveSlap

Exactly, & we all know how that turned out. I'm going with false bravado for now.

Not just bravado. If they are looking to make a deal with Marvel, blowing hot air about sequels and the future of the franchise somewhat strengthens their position in negotiations. I'm sure Marvel will see right through it though.

Penguin

Sony said similar things right after ASM2 came out if I remember right.

Sony isn't FOX

Sony is... probably the absolute worst major movie company. It doesn't hurt as an overhead that the entire company was bleeding money and probably would have taken any life-raft they could get

FF is such a strange case.

Marvel/ Disney clearly wants it back ... but not so much for the team but for all the villains. Hell, they were willing to extend FOX's rights to Dare Devil as a trade off for Doom and someone else iirc before FOX screwed up and wasn't able to make a new DD movie in time.

In the short term, it makes sense to sell back the rights while they can instead of waiting 7 or w/e years to run the clock on a reboot before the rights window closes in seeing how they could very well make another flop that losses money just to keep the rights. But they got bad blood so idk ...

I admit I'm not massively into conics but no one seems to be talking about fox keeping the FF rights for the next few years so they can use the villains in the X men movies. Would they not really fit in that universe?

Penguin

I admit I'm not massively into conics but no one seems to be talking about fox keeping the FF rights for the next few years so they can use the villains in the X men movies. Would they not really fit in that universe?

I guess from fans' point of view, and imagine FOX, the X-Men movies are doing well on their own.

And it's such a huge and vast world of characters. So many haven't even sniffed yet. Heroes and villains

Depends on whether that's even possible. None of the Marvel licensing studios have done that yet, so quite possibly there's something in the contract that prevents properties from one license from being used as part of another license.

They could but I think to keep the rights they still have to make a FF movie. Seems like a lot of work when there's so many xmen villains.

DarkFlow

Banned
That tweet is gonna haunt Trank for a hot minute.

Edit: is there any reason Fox couldn't try an animated stab at the franchise? I mean Big Hero 6 and Incredibles have shown that families will eat it up, and you don't have to worry about "grounding" anything.
Fox doesn't own animated rights as far as I'm aware.

On another note, They are currently negotiating with Marvel right now to get TV rights to Xmen.

http://deadline.com/2015/08/x-men-s...on-2-knock-knock-cancellation-fox-1201493584/

With FF bombing, this TV show is how Marvel is about to get them back.

AHA-Lambda

Worldwide Updates:

Fantastic Four - $60M
Terminator Genisys - $322M
Mission Impossible: rogue Nation - $265M
Pixels - $131M
Jurassic World - $1.581B
Minions - $913M
Inside Out - $635M
Ant-Man - $326M

Fantastic Four will be the first Marvel/DC failure since the Avengers launched.

How good/bad is this?

please be bad

antonz

They could I guess but so far they have shown a complete inability to actually put FF Villains on screen in a way that actually lives upto the characters let alone excites fans.

Sony isn't FOX

Sony is... probably the absolute worst major movie company. It doesn't hurt as an overhead that the entire company was bleeding money and probably would have taken any life-raft they could get

And even then, Sony didn't actually sell the rights. They basically just agreed to a cross-licensing deal (Marvel can use Spider-Man characters in Avengers, and Sony if they'd like to can use Marvel characters) with the added bonus of having Feige as a producer. Sony's still paying for the production of the new Spider-Man movie, and conversely gets to keep the profits (I don't think Marvel actually gets any money as part of the deal).

Which is why I continue to believe that Fox is not going to out-and-out sell the Fantastic Four rights. If Sony didn't agree to that deal when they needed money, why would Fox agree to it when they don't?

AHA-Lambda

Yeah, I'm surprised. I saw the trailers and thought it had a good concept but I have no confidence in modern horrors frankly, especially when I then see the BH logo.

After all the reviews, I'll catch a showing next week though :)

bananas

Banned
And even then, Sony didn't actually sell the rights. They basically just agreed to a cross-licensing deal (Marvel can use Spider-Man characters in Avengers, and Sony if they'd like to can use Marvel characters) with the added bonus of having Feige as a producer. Sony's still paying for the production of the new Spider-Man movie, and conversely gets to keep the profits (I don't think Marvel actually gets any money as part of the deal).

Which is why I continue to believe that Fox is not going to out-and-out sell the Fantastic Four rights. If Sony didn't agree to that deal when they needed money, why would Fox agree to it when they don't?

Because they want something that Marvel has.

I want to know what say Marvel has in the new Spider-Man movie. They've watched Sony run it into the ground twice now, without Marvel having some input I don't get what is supposed to be different this time. Or do they just hope that even if the stand-alone Sony stuff is shit, people will still be excited when he's in Marvel produced stuff?

I want to know what say Marvel has in the new Spider-Man movie. They've watched Sony run it into the ground twice now, without Marvel having some input I don't get what is supposed to be different this time. Or do they just hope that even if the stand-alone Sony stuff is shit, people will still be excited when he's in Marvel produced stuff?

From what I understand Marvel is basically making the new Spidey movie (story, casting, etc) and Sony is just kind of standing around smiling and agreeing with what they do. They have final say but Marvel is driving that bus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom