• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 08•07-09•15 - Gifted MI5 cruises by F4. DBZ fans still warm 4 Frieza's form

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

I want to know what say Marvel has in the new Spider-Man movie. They've watched Sony run it into the ground twice now, without Marvel having some input I don't get what is supposed to be different this time. Or do they just hope that even if the stand-alone Sony stuff is shit, people will still be excited when he's in Marvel produced stuff?
It's what I've been saying a million times. Think of Spider-Man as a car. Sony owns it, but they're too drunk to drive it. Marvel Studios is essentially Sony's designated driver. While Sony could override Marvel's decisions, it'd be in their best interest to just listen.

Creatively?

All of it.

That's the whole point of their deal.

So, stand-alone Spider-Man movie. Who decides who writes, directs, and stars? Who pays for the movie? Who keeps the profits?

The rumors surrounding the two ASM films were that Sony higher ups fucked them with constant meddling. Is it safe to assume that won't happen this time, even if technically legally they could if they wanted?

It's what I've been saying a million times...

Sorry, I don't follow your posts.

I want to know what say Marvel has in the new Spider-Man movie. They've watched Sony run it into the ground twice now, without Marvel having some input I don't get what is supposed to be different this time. Or do they just hope that even if the stand-alone Sony stuff is shit, people will still be excited when he's in Marvel produced stuff?

Basically, what Sony gets out of the deal is a Marvel-produced MCU-attached Spider-Man movie, which unless Marvel fucks up at a level which they haven't yet, is almost guaranteed to make at least a billion worldwide (for as bad as ASM2 was, that still reached $700 million, so we're nowhere near FF levels of bad brand association yet). What Marvel gets is the ability to add stories to their universe without actually having to pay for them (which is probably nice, but not the primary reason), and more importantly the ability to use Spider-Man as a character in the MCU, which is probably going to be very important given that they're almost definitely going to lose Iron Man, and possibly Captain America and Thor by the time Infinity War is over so they'll need some new heroes to carry the franchise.

So, stand-alone Spider-Man movie. Who decides who writes, directs, and stars? Who pays for the movie? Who keeps the profits?

The rumors surrounding the two ASM films were that Sony higher ups fucked them with constant meddling. Is it safe to assume that won't happen this time, even if technically legally they could if they wanted?

Sorry, I don't follow your posts.

Marvel decides writers, directors, and stars, but have to get the okay from Sony. Sony pays, Sony keeps profits.

And yes, the Sony higher ups could meddle, but as Neoxon said, they'd be really stupid to do so unless costs spiraled crazily out of control or something.

Marvel does. Again, that's the whole point of the deal. It was fairly well-publicized when the deal was made. Marvel is in creative control of the character. Sony pays for the movie, Sony gets the money it earns. Marvel's benefit is that when the character shows up in their films, he won't be ruined anymore, which should lead to them getting more money when he appears in their films than they would if he wasn't available.

Lebron

The only thing I don't like about the Spidey deal is the fear that they will change previous plans to cater to him now that he's available. Case in point, Civil War. This was the movie that was going to introduce and get everyone excited for BP (which they already pushed back after announcing the Spidey deal), but I fear he will have less of a role now that Spidey has been tossed into the mix.

Guess we will see.

The guys at Fox are out of options now. The film bombed critically and financially, there won't be a crossover to save the brand, the previous films were critical duds and rebooting again will lose them more money. I really wonder what they'll decide to do.

I was close to finishing primary school, but I redeemed myself with the midnight launch of the last Harry Potter book.
You guys make me feel old. I was in college when the first Spider-Man came out.

This was the box-office top 10 the year I was born.

Annie Hall
The Spy Who Loved Me
The Deep
A Bridge Too Far
Oh God
Saturday Night Fever
The Goodbye Girl
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Smokey and the Bandit
Star Wars

Decent year, actually.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Better than Tomorrowland but not very good. However, the film still has China to open in this month and it is looking like it has a shot at $100m there. So we're looking at a case similar to Pacific Rim.

Tomorrowland finished it's entire run at $204 million, incl. China, holly epic bomba.

In regards to Terminator, I don't think Viacom is happy about the film's performance, especially domestically, and might just develop a TV series instead or scale-down budget costs accordingly until the rights revert back to Cameron.

I think Mission Impossible Rogue Nation will finish between $600-650 million - currency is a bitch.

Penguin

Annie Hall
The Spy Who Loved Me
The Deep
A Bridge Too Far
Oh God
Saturday Night Fever
The Goodbye Girl
Smokey and the Bandit
Star Wars

Decent year, actually.

Sweet jeebsus, you're almost 40?

o_O

Also, as an aside, how is The Man from UNCLE tracking?

rexor0717

Singer deserves the benefit of the doubt. All of the 3 X-Men movies he has directed are varying degrees of good. It doesn't hurt his X2 still remains the far and away best Marvel super hero film.

I don't know about that, but it is pretty good.

kswiston

You guys make me feel old..

I feel like that all the time on GAF. At least there are 2-3 box office regulars that are older than I am.

I was 20 when the first Spider-man came out. I actually didn't like the film all that much after the first hour where he is learning to use his powers. Spider-man 2 made up for it.

Neoxon

Annie Hall
The Spy Who Loved Me
The Deep
A Bridge Too Far
Oh God
Saturday Night Fever
The Goodbye Girl
Smokey and the Bandit
Star Wars

Decent year, actually.
Jesus, you're double my age.

Toa TAK

Banned
dinosaur-computer.jpg

kswiston

Just wait until you have been on GAF for a decade and the new members of 2024 are talking about their early childhood memories of gaming on the Xbox 360 and seeing Fury Road with their dad when they were 9. Then you will know how it feels :p

Some of us aren't that many years away from having GAF accounts that are older than our youngest members.

E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial
Tootsie
An Officer and a Gentleman
Rocky III
Porky's
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
48 HRS.
Poltergeist
The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas
Annie

1982 wins

Just wait until you have been on GAF for a decade and the new members of 2024 are talking about their early childhood memories of gaming on the Xbox 360 and seeing Fury Road with their dad when they were 9. Then you will know how it feels :p

Some of us aren't that many years away from having GAF accounts that are older than our youngest members.
My accurate reaction to this

I'll be 39. Damn. And 2024 isn't even that far away.

I remember when 2015 seemed so far away to me.

Slayven

Annie Hall
The Spy Who Loved Me
The Deep
A Bridge Too Far
Oh God
Saturday Night Fever
The Goodbye Girl
Smokey and the Bandit
Star Wars

Decent year, actually.
damn you are older than me

playing indie retro cod shooter games

You guys make me feel old. I was in college when the first Spider-Man came out.

I was out of college.

Annie Hall
The Spy Who Loved Me
The Deep
A Bridge Too Far
Oh God
Saturday Night Fever
The Goodbye Girl
Smokey and the Bandit
Star Wars

Decent year, actually.
Solid list. My birth year: