• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrestlemania XXX Week |OT| We are all legit shook

Are you legit shook?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
After letting it sink in
still legit shook though
, I'm thinking they had to have gone off book because Taker got hurt or something. I really can't believe Vince or Trips would have let the streak end in a mid card match that had no buildup and a shitty finish like that.

I know this comment is a few hours/pages old, but this is very very doubtful. They could improvise a hell's gate finish to the match so that taker wins.

Face it - the loss was on purpose and planned. Though I'm sure Taker is disappointed in the performance. Probably the worst match since they started taking notice of the streak (I think Taker vs Flair is when it really took off)

Toki767

They aren't going to use a new belt design for Bryan. They still don't see him as the top guy. They're going to use a new design for when Lesnar or Batista win it.

Because it is time for a unified belt and the only reason they still use the old logo is because it is on the belt right now.

And you can't expect someone as tiny as Bryan to carry two heavy belts around. They'll probably debut a new paper belt.

They aren't going to use a new belt design for Bryan. They still don't see him as the top guy. They're going to use a new design for when Lesnar or Batista win it.

When the entire company put him over as a god last night, I was all like "pft, they don't see him as the top guy yet" too.

I don't think we're going to see a new belt. That new belt Rock introduced is too damn new yet.

Same belt tho, new logo plate.

Phatmac

If they don't mess it up, Brock could truly be a dominating guy that comes on Raw and PPV's once in a while to show how dominant he can be Just let him fight the biggest stars and let him utterly destroy them. Build it all up to Summer Slam and have him face Bryan or whoever is the champ at that point. The win last will hopefully cement him as a big time heel.

Sephzilla

I know this comment is a few hours/pages old, but this is very very doubtful. They could improvise a hell's gate finish to the match so that taker wins.

Face it - the loss was on purpose and planned. Though I'm sure Taker is disappointed in the performance. Probably the worst match since they started taking notice of the streak (I think Taker vs Flair is when it really took off)

I honestly think it's Taker's worst WM match since probably King Kong Bundy. I don't want to say worst since Giant Gonzales because that just sounds hyperbolic, but the Brock match was just an awful match for the streak to die on.

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
Why does people think the scratch logo is being retired tonight?

Check out the Network logo, it's different, right?

Now check next years Wreslemania logo, looks the same as the one on the Network.

HHH has declared this the "Reality Era" New Era = New logo.

Mondy

Banned
I think he's interesting. Him and Paul work great together.

I know you're probably just kidding about wrestling being well and done, but I don't think this should have any effect on the future. The streak is a relic of the past. It's time to move forward and cheer on our hero and savior of the WWE, John Cena.

Lol no, I'm not kidding.

They couldn't do it. They just couldn't. They couldn't sell Wrestlemania XXX without having Austin, Rock and Hogan in the ring all at the same time to suck up with a bit of fanfare. They want to move in a new direction post Attitude Era so badly yet they can't let go of their greatest ever because deep down, they know they still need what's left of the the old faithful to turn a profit.

It is done.

Toki767

I honestly think it's Taker's worst WM match since probably King Kong Bundy. I don't want to say worst since Giant Gonzales because that just sounds hyperbolic, but the Brock match was just an awful match for the streak to die on.

I wouldn't go back that far. Remember the A-Train and Big Show handicap match?

GaimeGuy

Thinking about how I felt last night, I can't believe I woke up today and actually was more upset about LOLCENAWINZ than the freaking streak ending.

Well the streak was more of a booking fluke that they then turned into a gimmick. It's not really a legitimate "streak" since everyone knows that wrestling is at least partially scripted, and match outcomes and finishes are the most scripted parts of all. The only real thing to be upset about is that the match and its buildup sucked.

On the other hand, Cena winning is the glaring abnormality on the card.

Toki767

I'm not even upset about Cena winning, even though he should have lost. Just the way Cena acted was hypocritical of everything he was trying to get over in that match. He had no problems doing dastardly things to Rowan and Harper but when it comes to Bray he suddenly developed a conscience? That was just stupid.

Linkhero1

Lol no, I'm not kidding.

They couldn't do it. They just couldn't. They couldn't sell Wrestlemania XXX without having Austin, Rock and Hogan in the ring all at the same time to suck up with a bit of fanfare. They want to move in a new direction post Attitude Era so badly yet they can't let go of their greatest ever because deep down, they know they still need what's left of the the old faithful to turn a profit.

It is done.

Heh, yeah I agree with you. It was nice to see Austin, The Rock and Hulk Hogan kissing each other's ass in the ring, but WWE seems pretty reliant on them. I don't think it was that bad to be honest. I consider them to be what a hype man does for musicians or what a warm up comedian does for a comedian. They were basically there to warm up the crowd.

I'm not even upset about Cena winning, even though he should have lost. Just the way Cena acted was hypocritical of everything he was trying to get over in that match. He had no problems doing dastardly things to Rowan and Harper but when it comes to Bray he suddenly developed a conscience? That was just stupid.

Yeah that bothered me too. Rowan and Harper didn't even touch him once, like not even a finger, and Harper gets speared through the barricade and Rowan got whatever happened to him. Yet when it come's to Bray, he can't even hit him with a chair.

strobogo

Banned
ibsLh8dxC8inWl.gif

iJp6QZL4hHrdf.gif

iZapfuJ7eqvHn.gif

iz3P8CTO6U8jA.gif

ibyqDWXUXIlkAO.gif

iZ4IK3BUiTRSG.gif

Well the streak was more of a booking fluke that they then turned into a gimmick. It's not really a legitimate "streak" since everyone knows that wrestling is at least partially scripted, and match outcomes and finishes are the most scripted parts of all. The only real thing to be upset about is that the match and its buildup sucked.

Yeah, that really is it. I doubt this was the way it went down, but the shitty build, with Brock looking like a weakling, makes the streak ending seem like it was done for that legit shook feel.

I do think they can totally make this work, though, whereas I thought it was absolutely going to be a mistake no matter what last night. Use this to really build up Lesnar and then have him put a wrestler that needs the big win to take off, at Wrestlemania 31. In a way, it gets that star the "I BROKE THE STREAK" win without attaching all that baggage to him.

And then feed him to John Cena, right Vince?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
...you didn't have to gif Bateaster tapping Stro :(

It's ok though, Batista is good and is a chickenshit so tapping is fine for him :)

strobogo

Banned
...you didn't have to gif Bateaster tapping Stro :(

It's ok though, Batista is good and is a chickenshit so tapping is fine for him :)

Did it just for you. His wrinkly head made me laugh every time he was on the mat. Like, how the fuck does that back or your head get that wrinkly?

okayfrog

Banned

WWE kinda didn't really think this feud through. I think they wanted Bray Wyatt to have a big match at Wrestlemania and they wanted Cena to have a match at Wrestlemania as it really seemed like already in December/January, all the big main event players had already had a match lined up and ready but Cena (according to dirtsheets). So they put the two in a match, but it's Wrestlemania, the culmination of feuds. Can you really have Cena lose the feud? No. Can you end it on a dusty finish? At Wrestlemani? No. So we have the whole "give into the hate" thing that Cena doesn't follow through with and eventually he defeats Wyatt cleanly. Wasn't really any other option for WWE it seems.

Toki767

Yeah that bothered me too. Rowan and Harper didn't even touch him once, like not even a finger, and Harper gets speared through the barricade and Rowan got whatever happened to him. Yet when it come's to Bray, he can't even hit him with a chair.

He threw Bray head first into a steel ringpost. 5 seconds later he suddenly doesn't want to use steel steps. His psychology in the match was just stupid.

The best thing to come out that Bray/Cena match is that apparently it's ok to hit anyone with a steel chair as long as it isn't the ref or your opponent. That ought to put the fear in Paul Heyman.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Did it just for you. His wrinkly head made me laugh every time he was on the mat. Like, how the fuck does that back or your head get that wrinkly?

I can't explain it. Lots of skin.

bwtw

Neo Member
Am I the only one who completely forgot about the Hogan/Austin/Rock segment? The rest of the show had so much stuff happening that as great as that open was, it had completely slipped my mind by today.

yuraya

If they don't mess it up, Brock could truly be a dominating guy that comes on Raw and PPV's once in a while to show how dominant he can be Just let him fight the biggest stars and let him utterly destroy them. Build it all up to Summer Slam and have him face Bryan or whoever is the champ at that point. The win last will hopefully cement him as a big time heel.

Brock used to be one of my all time fave wrestlers on smackdown. i was big fan. Than sadly bailed for the NFL/UFC. I am okay with him winning now but the match with taker was just boring. Than again taker is nearing 50 so I don't think anyone would have made this match great considering the shape taker was in. Last year Punk had a great match with him but Punk is usually always like that his matches are always down the wire and interesting. Brock just has way too much energy. If he isn't matched with someone who is on his cardio level the match will always look bad lol. Bryan with all his energy would make great match with Lesnar. I hope they get around to doing that. Heck I don't know what kind of shape Kurt Angle is in nowadays but it would be cool to have him return to wwe and have some matches with lesnar as well. Those old Lesnar vs Angle matches were some of the greatest :D

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So what happened to Taker other than getting injured?

NievzLV.png

They put a 49 year old beaten up man in the ring with a former UFC Heavyweight champion.

What do you think happened. I called it from the start, they shoulda never put them in the ring because Brock isn't exactly delicate with people.

GaimeGuy

He threw Bray head first into a steel ringpost. 5 seconds later he suddenly doesn't want to use steel steps. His psychology in the match was just stupid.

That's typical Cena, though. Terrible in-ring psychology and storytelling, for the most part.

It's probably a huge part of why the fans turned on him and have hated on him ever since his feud with Jericho shortly after he became a face.

And personally, it's why I can't stand cena, and why I will forever consider him to be a terrible upper card/ upper-midcard guy. I respect his work ethic, but he's as bad as Warrior in ring psychology.

joeposh

Am I the only one who completely forgot about the Hogan/Austin/Rock segment? The rest of the show had so much stuff happening that as great as that open was, it had completely slipped my mind by today.

My friends who haven't watched wrestling in a long time loved that segment and kept anticipating more involvement from those 3. I tempered those expectations, but I think for a casual fan that was a great way to kick things off.

The only thing that really annoyed me about the opening was the announcing "WOW, WHAT A WRESTLEMANIA MOMENT... THIS IS A REAL WRESTLEMANIA MOMENT RIGHT HERE... PERHAPS THE GREATEST WRESTLEMANIA MOMENT OF ALL TIME!" It was absolutely insufferable and diminished what was happening. They need to stop trying to force feed that sort of thing and let the product speak for itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom