• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X Direct - Battle on March 6th [up: video with subtitles]

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
it looks downgraded. The textures and lighting dont look as good and the character faces are the same as ever.

Nothing has been downgraded at all....if anything it looks like the character models have gotten a slight upgrade if anything, dont be expecting anything like a downgrade when the game is probably going gold in japan as we speak.

Effect

it looks downgraded. The textures and lighting dont look as good and the character faces are the same as ever.

Let's not start this again. It was agreed and accepted that there was no downgrade after some tried to foolishly push this idea. The textures, light, etc was improved since the game was originally shown. We've had the video and picture comparisons already in other threads that shown this.

Not sure if I follow. I thought I was going to order my party members during battle - "attack", "defend", possibly nothing but basic stuff like this, still at least some kind of direct input. If I remember correctly in XC you were able to tell them to focus on one enemy for example, so this seemed like an extension of that. Honestly I was already picturing how it might look on the Gamepad - another cool implementation of the touchscreen! Maybe I'm just completely off the mark though :)

There's a battle menu (which you bring up by pressing +), which has all those commands, they showed it briefly during the E3 Treehouse footage, but it was fairly extensive.

In addition to that is this new soul voice system, think of it as real time combos, strategic and tactical coordination with your party. You can customize and tinker with these soul voice actions to your liking, but from what I understand so far is that sometimes after using an art you'll be prompted to press B, which will allow a soul voice to activate, encouraging your party member to use a specific art. This is especially relevant because you'll have arts that combo together (general example: I use something that has the effect of making an enemy more vulnerable to a certain type of attack, my party member has that art, and so I call to her to use it, and she does). That's what I know so far. Still getting caught up on this thread, and haven't watched the entire thing yet either..!

Have to disagree:

Elma from E3 2014:

tumblr_nktomrapFJ1sknvbmo1_1280.jpg

Elma from today's presentation:

Improvements in every way from lighting to textures (not referring to these pics but overall game), even to the dreaded faces (well definitely Elma's lol)

Sorry for the comparison, it wasn't my intention to derail the thread.

And not everybody lives in US to take advantage of good deals like that. In my country a WiiU costs roughly $500.
Ah that's a shame... I assumed you had to wait a few years because you wanted to finish Med school first :p

XenobladeX_87_thumb.jpg

The mecha we see at the end isn't the usual red one we're used to see in the video... mecha customisation confirmed ? *_*

There are actually a few different models we've send, a mass production doll, an inferno unit, the ocean Dolls (from the E3 trailer) were different again, and then we've seen similar heavily customized ones, and then there are all the alien mechs. I know that we can customize colour, and by changing arts we can change the equipment on our Doll (think giant sword, shoulder mounted rocket launcher, energy shield, Gatling gun etc).

Liking the amour and glad to see theres full face helmets. Can't stand the characters creepy mugs.

If there are no other towns or indigenous intelligent life on the planet I'm going to be a bit disappointed.

Check out the exploration video on iYakku's youtube channel, they introduced 3 indigenous alien species, the Nopon, the Vyers (hostile aliens) and Ma-non, intelligent with the best technology around, love pizza. In addition to those there's octopus woman from here, and the cat aliens. It's been speculated that GROWTH is an alliance of some sort between multiple alien species... Idk. We'll see, but there's definitely indigenous, intelligent life on Mira.

I don't think anyone thought he wasn't playable though precisely because of the doll footage and being featured in the artwork.

the last two though seem nonexistent in a hired npc kinda way but I'd love to be wrong

Right, but if he's a party member in the same way as Elma & co. are, why introduce him in the same way as Serika, Meledes, and Fry?

That armor... It's great to know this game is nice and pervy, as expected. What's her name is supposed to be 13 years old, right? Nice cleavage.

I don't really care. I think all the outfits/armor is great, actually. I actually hope there's an Amiibo line for this game.

EDIT: Also, did the monster at 22:10 barf up a human being?

chadboban

That armor... It's great to know this game is nice and pervy, as expected. What's her name is supposed to be 13 years old, right? Nice cleavage.

I don't really care. I think all the outfits/armor is great, actually. I actually hope there's an Amiibo line for this game.

EDIT: Also, did the monster at 22:10 barf up a human being?

That looks like Lyn. Could possibly be a monster that is capable of eating party members. I know a few other RPGs that do this but I can't name any off the top of my head.

That or it's just a weird animation glitch.

is there really no english translation of the Direct video?

It's being worked on by fan translators iYakku and Gessenkou. They said we can expect one with the dialogue translated either today (Saturday) or tomorrow(Sunday), and to expect one with full translation of menus later in the week.

Here is their work on the last "Direct". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjTzuqyQZlc

Good god, the combat looks atrocious. It makes Final Fantasy 14 ARR's combat look like Devil May Cry. The art style looks improved but the combat system looks like its going to be MMO-lite. I'm just going to wait for FF XV instead.

I enjoyed the combat in Xenoblade *shrugs* Especally the Break/Topple/Daze mechanic.

This looks even better. Some pretty flashy moves in there.

Comes out in Japan in april right? Excited to see some impressions.

Luckily I have Monster Hunter to tide me over 'till this hits :)

Bleeether

Good god, the combat looks atrocious. It makes Final Fantasy 14 ARR's combat look like Devil May Cry. The art style looks improved but the combat system looks like its going to be MMO-lite. I'm just going to wait for FF XV instead.

Whats wrong with it, as far as i can tell it looks like an improved version of the original combat system, which was amazing.

Gleethor

Yes I did. Spent over 100 hours on 2 playthroughs and that was in spite of the uninspiring combat.

This just makes your previous answer even more bizarre to me. I also think you'd be better off playing both this and FFXV, no need to make it one or the other. Both games look to be worthwhile experiences.

Escalario

Banned
Yes I did. Spent over 100 hours on 2 playthroughs and that was in spite of the uninspiring combat.

LOL. Sure. It's pretty obvious you didn't dabled into Xenoblade's combat system further than spamming same artes over and over, otherwise you wouldn't be spouting BS.
Also, you shitting on XCX battle system makes it pretty ironic considering your username and avatar. Just saiyan'.

Bleeether

We all know whats going on here, go shit post somewhere else if you don't like the game. This thread is about the Direct announcement.

It's being worked on by fan translators iYakku and Gessenkou. They said we can expect one with the dialogue translated either today (Saturday) or tomorrow(Sunday), and to expect one with full translation of menus later in the week.

Here is their work on the last "Direct". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjTzuqyQZlc

Oh mann, this is what i was looking for, Thanks!!

hatchx

Banned
It looks great but sounds terrible. The soundtrack in Xenoblade was absolutely pitch perfect, filled with exciting tracks but also subtler ones too. Everything we've heard from X is just bombastic and filled with Engrish. If I'll be stuck listening to that for dozens of hours, I'd hope there's an option to turn the music off.

The closer the game gets to anime, the more I dislike it.

I'm really hoping the J-Pop music is mostly just for the trailers.

It's quite unappealing I agree, but I doubt they'll be blaring that as we spend hours exploring the world, that would drive people insane.

Not to comment on your comparisons, Xenoblade's battle system was indeed very very bad and this one seems to follow it, but it also adds a lot of things that the battle system desperately needed. I would honestly give it a chance until the game is out (specially since we'll also have mech combat, and that may be completely different).

Also, if you expect a good battle system out of FFXV then I feel sorry for you...

Go play these games for their stories and exploration, that will give you way more enjoyment out of them.

Oh right, I've forgot that FFXV battle system comes down to MASH X TO WIN. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

I would love to prove you wrong if you went to a FFXV thread, as to not derail this one. But if you want a quick explanation, then no, it's not that at all. The director pretty much confirmed they have no idea what to do with the battle system and will do whatever the fans want. That's the short version, but please, let's not derail this thread any further than this.

It's quite unappealing I agree, but I doubt they'll be blaring that as we spend hours exploring the world, that would drive people insane.

I mean, it's all music from the game. Whether or not some of it is cutscene music or not is a question, I suppose. But they didn't write music just for these trailers.

They did say there's a lot of vocals in the music, though.

With all the stuff we've seen (and mostly heard) so far...

I wonder if they'll try to do something like Libera Me From Hell from Gurren Lagann.

That would be extremely ballsy, as it could either make your game extremely epic or transform the end of the game into a headache if the music is not good enough =X

Escalario

Banned
On topic of music: Takahashi said that the game has more tracks than XC. But (more or less) half of XC music was dedicated to the explorable zones/cities. Since XCX has only 5 main zones and 1 city (that we know of), I'm wondering if they've decided to break them down into smaller zones with each having its own track.

sfried

Have you ever played Xenoblade? You know that while character "automatically attack" they barely do any damage? Most of the real damage is done when you utilize a Arts, and they pretty much do it immediately after you select it. There's a whole lot more going into it too, like status ailments such as "Topple" where you do want to follow an attack with a particular kind of Arts in order to stun them.

If you think the combat is uninspired, then you haven't played FFXIII.

takriel

I really hope there's some diversity in the OST, at least... but I can already tell that I won't like this OST very much, to be honest. Such a shame.

That looks like Lyn. Could possibly be a monster that is capable of eating party members. I know a few other RPGs that do this but I can't name any off the top of my head.

That or it's just a weird animation glitch.

I never got a chance to watch the last direct with english subs thanks

Top Bottom