• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Zwarte Piet' Controversy Leads To 90 Arrests In Netherlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

mellz

No really that's just wrong. It's never have been or ever will be a white supremacy. I don't want to get down that road.

How is it wrong? Basically every country in the world has institutionalized racism, in Western Europe white people are the oppressors and benefit from this.

"The term white supremacy is used in academic studies of racial power to denote a system of structural or societal racism which privileges white people over others, regardless of the presence or absence of racial hatred. "

Silky

Banned
I'm not on the up up when it comes to minstrel shows either. But from my limited knowledge, the would portray blacks as dumb, clumsy buffoons that would do "black things". Does Zwarte Piet do something similar?

Other than the whole kidnap bad children and send them back to Spain, Zwarte Piet in some cultures are portrayed as 'bogeymen' while the other time they're portrayed as oafs.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
What I wonder here, is if this would have played out the same if there wasn't such a shitstorm over Zwarte Piet at the same time.

And even then I find this strawman-ish.

are you seriously that dense?

its a cultural practice that projects black people into caricatures...

geomon

Got to love the implication that, because they didn't protest 80 years ago, black people must have been fine with it then. Oh, to be a Negro in the early 20th century, so carefree.

What's sad is that people actually use that as an excuse to be racist. Especially in the states, elderly people will flat out tell you, "they didn't say nothing in my day". Yeah because if they said something in your day they would be killed or, at the very least, beaten up.

Alucrid

Banned
I believe it has something to do with Minstrel shows. The red lips were part of the stage makeup, similar to a clowns. It went well with how they were trying to portray black people as foolish and joke characters, like a clown or jester.

Obviously, black people take offense to white people using their race as a joke. Which is part of why blackface is considered racist and probably part of why it is being protested in this situation. It is an offensive, ignorant caricature.

That was more of a rhetorical question since people always like to bring the "it's soot" point up while ignoring all the other parts of the "costume"

Esch

Banned
What is racist about the caricatured tradition of a black servant who'll assault you, kidnap you if you're bad and force you to live under moorish rule? Stop being so sensitive. In fact, you must be the real racist if you find this troubling.

confuziz

Banned
The point is, things will never change. Whether it is allowed or not, whether people call it racism or not, people will keep on doing it just because they want to keep their culture alive.

Mesousa

Banned
What is racist about the tradition of a black servant who'll assault you, kidnap you if you're bad and force you to live under moorish rule? Stop being so sensitive. In fact, you must be the real racist if you find this troubling.

Wow...lol.

Nachtmaer

When I talk to people who aren't opposed to zwarte piet, the main argument is always that it's a tradition, so we should just keep doing it. I mean I (sort of) get that people used to do it back when they didn't realise that it could be percieved as racist, but it has to end sometime, so why not just end it now? The longer we wait, the worse it's going to look to the rest of the world.

Pretty much the same thing I hear. It just boggles my mind people are so up in arms over some dumb tradition aimed at kids.

The defining feature of the tradition's figures is 'soot covered faces', much like how Santa is seen as fat with a white beard, It isn't 'blackface' as the tradition or characters have nothing to do with representing or mocking black people.

Dick-van-Dyke-as-Bert-the-011.jpg

brRkK7w.jpg

See the difference?

WriterGK

Its in Dutch but its worth reading:

https://amsterdam.groenlinks.nl/nieuws/verklaring-iwan-leeuwin-opening-nelson-mandelapark

Groenlinks (freely translated Green Left) Iwan Leeuwin was at the opening of the Nelson Mandela Park in Amsterdam where elemantary school children build a statue of Nelson Mandela with balloons. And mister Iwan Leeuwin was supposed to speak at that event but he left angry and outraged because the statue in his opinion looked too much like Zwarte Pieter/ Black Peter

Here you can see the statue:

http://www.geenstijl.nl/mt/archieven/2014/10/open_brief_aan_iwan_leeuwin.html

In the end Iwan appologized to those children who made the statue but its completely insane.

Mesousa

Banned
The point is, things will never change. Whether it is allowed or not, whether people call it racism or not, people will keep on doing it just because they want to keep their culture alive.

Surely Dutch culture is much more than people dressing up in blackface and taking the piss out of brown people right?

Silky

Banned

Where were you when the civil rights movement happened?????

--

Good lord. Let me go work on my paper before I say something to get me banned.

Ortix

Banned
It's not like all , or even most of those against abolishing this "tradition" are racist. It is not "sending a racist message" to all those children. I can assure you, none of them look ak it that way. Before this whole thing happened, nobody thought about it in any racist way, although that's probably how it originated.

AkuMifune

Banned

This is the beginning of how things change. If you're so upset changing some racist tradition will take away your culture, your culture needs better traditions.

Maybe change black pete to yellow sam?

Arcia

Banned
That was more of a rhetorical question since people always like to bring the "it's soot" point up while ignoring all the other parts of the "costume"

Oh I know, but then I saw people in this thread actually wondering what the red lips meant. Some people really don't get it...

Thorakai

At least you are contributing to the discussion.

Why would you go this route of sarcasm when you haven't added anything of note either? :|

I have no problem with them protesting. But don't protest in the middle of the festivity unless you want kids to be your target audience.

Now, obviously you are getting more exposure this way, like what happens now, but I feel you can still get exposure if you do it on a well-known place where there is not a festivity right this moment.

Isn't this a tradition rooted in catering to children though? I'm not entirely sure how you can be for a protesting but then have issues with it taking place during the festivity. I mean I'm pretty sure the target audience are the parents that pass on the tradition to the kids.

confuziz

Banned
We'll see.

I can guarantee you the PVV (Wilders) will be the biggest party in the next election. It's just the way things work around here, especially with these kind of events.

Wilders has a plan for a new law that basically preserves everything around 'Zwarte Piet'

quickwhips

Put some soot on your face but don't paint your face black and give yourself red lips and the problem is fixed. I'm sure this was meant to be harmless but then some racist fucks got a hold of it and made it black face with red lips. Just switch it back to black carcoal patches on face and I'm sure we can all coexist?

Also, isn't the "root on faces" explanation already a change in the tradtion to appease more modern views? I thought the original story was about Sinterklaas freeing African slaves, so like, actual black people.

Anyway, goes to show that the tradition isn't "sacred" and "untouchable". It has changed many, many times already. Why not change it again to make it even more with the times and enjoyable for everyone?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
If a thing is considered racist by everyone in the world except racists and a few old Dutch people, it is safe to say it's probably quite racist.

Shut it down Holland. You had a good racist run.

sakipon

Its in Dutch but its worth reading:

https://amsterdam.groenlinks.nl/nieuws/verklaring-iwan-leeuwin-opening-nelson-mandelapark

Groenlinks (freely translated Green Left) Iwan Leeuwin was at the opening of the Nelson Mandela Park in Amsterdam where elemantary school children build a statue of Nelson Mandela with balloons. And mister Iwan Leeuwin was supposed to speak at that event but he left angry and outraged because the statue in his opinion looked too much like Zwarte Pieter/ Black Peter

Here you can see the statue:

http://www.geenstijl.nl/mt/archieven/2014/10/open_brief_aan_iwan_leeuwin.html

In the end Iwan appologized to those children who made the statue but its completely insane.

No offence to the kids but that is quite an ugly statue.

Frog-fu

Banned
I suppose I have some relevant perspective on this since I grew up with Zwarte Piet and Sinter Klaaas.

When I was younger I never thought of it as racist. I was just a kid ignorant of the history or the implications. I celebrated the holiday just like everyone else and I never felt left out, mocked or anything of the sort.

Now that I'm a little older and a little wiser, though I am not personally offended by something I view as a childhood tradition, I do understand that it is blackface, and while The Netherlands aren't as famously associated with slavery and racism as the US (though they should be), it is offensive, and conflicted as I may be, it is time Zwarte Piet is put to rest, or at the very least, altered in a way that makes it far less offensive. The traditional garb of blackface has been altered already in various parts of the country, even when I was growing up, and some people would only put on a little soot or bronze and no lipstick at all if not a more subdued shade of red. Perhaps more can be done in that respect.

I understand and empathise with the instinctual desire to protect and defend traditions against outsider influence, but some traditions aren't worth fighting for, and one that perpetuates racist stereotypes certainly isn't.

What.

Even if the Zwarte Piet incident didn’t happen, why would it be justifiable to call them out because of the color of their skin? What century do we live in?

You are misunderstanding me, it would never be justifiable, but these reactions seem instilled or at least inspired by the Zwarte Piet controversy.

I feel it will change within five years or so. I like the idea of just putting some soot on faces as it also wouldn't conflict with any rhymes, songs and stories. I doubt people would be too opposed for that. Except for the hardcore pro-zwarte piet that protest to keep the tradition.

geomon

Put some soot on your face but don't paint your face black and give yourself red lips and the problem is fixed. I'm sure this was meant to be harmless but then some racist fucks got a hold of it and made it black face with red lips. Just switch it back to black carcoal patches on face and I'm sure we can all coexist?

That would easily solve the problem, unfortunately you have "traditionalists" that prefer their minstrel caricature.

The defining feature of the tradition's figures is 'soot covered faces', much like how Santa is seen as fat with a white beard, It isn't 'blackface' as the tradition or characters have nothing to do with representing or mocking black people.

Bullshit. This is from a kid's book on Zwarte Piet :

xtzqIEJ.png

JIk2HfI.png

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
If a thing is considered racist by everyone in the world except racists and a few old Dutch people, it is safe to say it's probably quite racist.

Shut it down Holland. You had a good racist run.
We don't know what the world thinks about it. Also people in the pics don't look like just a few old Dutch people. It's a weak argument.
A good argument is that the current form of zwarte piet looks very much like the blackface in minstrel shows which is obviously problematic. So ditch the red lips and make it look like it more like actual soot and the problem is solved.

Mesousa

Banned
We don't know what the world thinks about it. Also people in the pics don't look like just a few old Dutch people. It's a weak argument.
A good argument is that the current form of zwarte piet looks very much like the blackface in minstrel shows which is obviously problematic. So ditch the red lips and make it look like it more like actual soot and the problem is solved.

What about the afros?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom