• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dutch Court : "Black Pete" (Zwarte Piet ) Is A Negative Stereotype

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/dutch-court-black-pete-negative-stereotype-24408805

An Amsterdam court says the figure known as "Black Pete" — the sidekick to the Dutch equivalent of Santa Claus — is a negative stereotype of black people and the city must rethink its involvement in holiday celebrations involving the figure.

Debate over Zwarte Piet has intensified in the Netherlands in recent years as opponents say the black clown with thick red lips and a frizzy Afro hairstyle is a racist caricature. Most Dutch people argue he is a harmless fantasy figure and say no insult is intended.

Thursday's ruling ordered the City of Amsterdam to re-examine its decision to grant a permit for an annual winter festival attended by thousands of children. In Dutch tradition, St. Nicholas arrives by steamboat with scores of Black Petes handing out presents.

Bout time

Just let everyone be a black Pete with some black smudges on their faces because they crawl though the chimneys. Children won't care.

I remember watching a Sinterklaas movie called White Pete where a white kid wanted to become a Black Pete and smuggles himself onto the boat to Spain to learn how to become a Black Pete, but everyone thinks he's weird because he's not black.

Sadist

Welp, I guess that's it.

Should consider scrapping "Piet" entirely. Too bad a chidrens holiday has to be influenced by this :/

Antagon

As a Dutch guy, I find it interesting to watch Dutch fora on this issue. The amount of casual racism and the hate that the protesters get is terrifying.

Edit: And I don't think that black Pete should be scrapped. Just change his costume to reflect the more modern story (with him being black from soot). Drop the red lips, earrings and wig. Don't apply the black make up evenly. Doesn't really change the holiday at all.

Then again, I've seen people argue that connecting black Pete with Africans is racist, while the image of black Pete in itself is totally harmless...

Sadist

As a Dutch guy, I find it interesting to watch Dutch fora on this issue. The amount of casual racism and the hate that the protesters get is terrifying.
That's extremely dumb as well, but both sides are acting Incredibly stupid around this issue.

Aiii

So not worth it
I stopped caring. Whatever.

Lets just scrap the entire holiday so we can remember how much fun it once was and just celebrate the fat guy with the reindeer instead. It hasn't been the same since Wegwijspiet retired anyways.

Martian

Just a few pointers:

- This was only a court in Amsterdam, nothing has been said for the rest of the Netherlands

- The court only mentioned the 2013 celebration, and nothing has been said about the festival in general (whether or not it is a stereotypical holiday)

- The constitutional law (you can not be racist) has not been found to be broken. So technically, no law has been broken. All that this court decided is that Amsterdam needs to revise their permit for the 2013 festivities.

- Stereotyping is allowed, as long as it doesnt violate other rules.

Do with this information as you will

rather early for a zwarte pieten thread

Dead Man

Love the pre emptive damage control in those first few posts.

But yeah, times change, and sometimes a dominant culture will inject it's views on unrelated traditions. Best just to move on and go with the multi coloured variety I guess.

2San

Edit: And I don't think that black Pete should be scrapped. Just change his costume to reflect the more modern story (with him being black from soot). Drop the red lips, earrings and wig. Don't apply the black make up evenly. Doesn't really change the holiday at all.
Yeah I think some Dutch Gaffers where already proposing that.

dbztrk

next on the chopping block: Mr Popo

I believe here in the U.S. they recently changed Mr. Popo's color from black to blue.

145.jpg

Arjen

Two threads in one week, hotdamn.
I gave my 2 cents in the previous thread.

my 2 cents.

Is zwarte piet ment as a mockery against black people?
Nope.
Is the image of zwarte piet racist and offending a lot of people?
It seems so, so yes.
I'm not black, i can't decide what's offensive to them, but if it is, we might want to change some things.
What's the solution?
Adept to the soot story, lose the red lips and afro, instead of a full black face have it be smudges of soot.

See you next year.

I'll stay out, don't want to get banned during the World Cup.

Feels like I have to dig up old arguments that have been repeated and I don't want this to lead to (another fucking Pete) discussion, but here goes;
It's a character for a kids festivity. Kids do not perceive zwarte piet as a negro/negative stereotype. Zwarte pieten are presented as smart, well spoken, somewhat mischievous assistants, each having a different specialty. They are presented as such in the media/TV programs leading up to 5 December, the shows with what kids consider as the "real" Sinterklaas en Zwarte Pieten.
Kids of all skin color, even in all the 'zwarte' neighbourhoods dress up as zwarte piet and celebrate Sinterklaas.

Dilly

Banned
Just don't make the whole face black anymore and have some black marks that look like soot.

Fixed, scrapping the holiday would be bullshit. This whole affair reminds me of that South Park flag episode though.

Air

Banned
Duh.

Edit: the idea that he gets soot on himself from going down a chimney is fine, what doesn't make sense is the the rest of him suspiciously turns into a black face caricature.

Alucrid

Banned
Feels like I have to dig up old arguments that have been repeated and I don't want this to lead to (another fucking Pete) discussion, but here goes;
It's a character for a kids festivity. Kids do not perceive zwarte piet as a negro/negative stereotype. Zwarte pieten are presented as smart, well spoken, somewhat mischievous assistants, each having a different specialty. They are presented as such in the media/TV programs leading up to 5 December, the shows with what kids consider as the "real" Sinterklaas en Zwarte Pieten.
Kids of all skin color, even in all the 'zwarte' neighbourhoods dress up as zwarte piet and celebrate Sinterklaas.

Is the 'accurate' portrayal of a fictional character really that important to you?

Lebron

So because it's for the kids, that makes a racist image okay? You honestly believe kids would give two shits if they changed the character's look? I'll answer it for you, they wouldn't. They're kids. Forgetting the fact that it's not a real person.

I just finished reading the verdict and nothing in there suggests that we're looking at the end of Zwarte Piet in the Netherlands.

If you organise a public event over here, you need to get a permit from the municipal authorities. These permits are granted by default unless there are objections over safety or public order. Because these permits come from the government, they cannot contravene national legislation or treaties.

A few claimaints have sued the municipality of Amsterdam because they feel granting a permit to the Sinterklaas parade (which includes Black Petes) was illegal.

Just so we're clear: EVERY town and city in the Netherlands celebrates Sinterklaas in the public space: this case only covers the objections of a handful of citizens in a single city.

The city of Amsterdam counters that there was no reason to refuse the permit because there was no threat to public order or safety.

However, the Netherlands have signed European treaties guaranteeing the dignity of private persons. Because Zwarte Piet is rooted in a negative stereotyping of people of colour, the court allows that the claimaints have a case that their dignity has been compromised by public displays of Zwarte Piet. However, in the judge's opinion, the affront to their dignity is not sufficiently grave to declare the granting of the permit a violation of our human rights treaties (I wonder if the claimants will seek to appeal this before a European court.)

This does NOT mean that Zwarte Piet is now forbidden and can't legally be part of the festivities. The court has only stated that the grievances of the claimants are genuine and admonishes the municipality to weigh this grievance against the interests of other parties when giving out permits in the future.

Despite this admonishment, there was no legal reason for Amsterdam to deny the permit.

The public debate will continue and I'm sure we'll see change to Zwarte Piet. But no international pressure or legal wrangling is going to speed up this process. Sorry.

This is hilarious that a week ago, many claimed few Europeans saw it as racist. What happened? That's like negative credibility.

Yes, a handful of activists suing one municipality out of 403 in a single country and not even winning their case is a major shift in public opinion.

Not really.

Famassu

Welp, I guess that's it.

Should consider scrapping "Piet" entirely. Too bad a chidrens holiday has to be influenced by this :/
Yes, poor children. How can they live without a fantasy character in their life. It must be suffering the kind the world has never seen.

andthebeatgoeson

Yes, a handful of activists suing one municipality out of 403 in a single country and not even winning their case is a major shift in public opinion.

Not really.
That's not what I said. But the ruling contradicts the terrible logic of 'not many of us see it as offensive so it can't be offensive' and 'just Americans projecting'.

Dead Man

It's definitely Americas fault for inherent racism in another countries holiday

I was more referencing the argument in the post insinuating all Europeans are without honesty or intelligence. We can discuss cultural imperialism if you would like.

CrunchyB

Because Zwarte Piet is rooted in a negative stereotyping of people of colour, the court allows that the claimaints have a case that their dignity has been compromised by public displays of Zwarte Piet. However, in the judge's opinion, the affront to their dignity is not sufficiently grave to declare the granting of the permit a violation of our human rights treaties [...]

This does NOT mean that Zwarte Piet is now forbidden and can't legally be part of the festivities. The court has only stated that the grievances of the claimants are genuine and admonishes the municipality to weigh this grievance against the interests of other parties when giving out permits in the future.

Good post, I'm quoting it in case people missed it the first time.

Entirely reasonable judgment, I wonder how the city will react.

activist judge...

but seriously... would the kids REALLY care if their favorite holiday heroes just suddenly stopped appearing with blackface, steel wool hair or nigger lips and simply still dressed up in the fancy clothes and did everything else the exact same?

activist judge...

but seriously... would the kids REALLY care if their favorite holiday heroes just suddenly stopped appearing with blackface, steel wool hair or nigger lips and simply still dressed up in the fancy clothes and did everything else the exact same?

You'd only have to wait for one or two generations and the kids wouldn't know better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom