• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stealth launch of Black Wii (WSR bundle) in North America? (unconfirmed)

Clipper

The problem is that we have NAND backup methods such as BootMii. You could take a Wii with a full set of tickets, use this fabled official method to transfer its account to a new Wii, then restore the NAND of the old Wii and you'd be able to use every game on both systems. Sure, you wouldn't be able to buy new games on the old Wii, but the new Wii is ripe to clone to another Wii and so on.

Note that I do not condone any of these actions. It would be disgusting to do such a thing. But there is no way I can see that Nintendo could block this functionality without first properly blocking BootMii.

zigg

Yeah, that's certainly true, though you have to modify your system to get that far, don't you? It's another avenue, sure, but I don't see that it necessarily opens a new door to piracy.

If a certain number of cloned systems start showing up online, too (they'd have the same system number, I assume?) they wouldn't escape notice.

Either way, I'm pretty sure it ain't gonna happen. Nintendo doesn't want to make rebuying a Wii an attractive prospect; they want to expand the number of people who have them.

Clipper

zigg said:
Yeah, that's certainly true, though you have to modify your system to get that far, don't you? It's another avenue, sure, but I don't see that it necessarily opens a new door to piracy.

If a certain number of cloned systems start showing up online, too (they'd have the same system number, I assume?) they wouldn't escape notice.

Either way, I'm pretty sure it ain't gonna happen. Nintendo doesn't want to make rebuying a Wii an attractive prospect; they want to expand the number of people who have them.
You do have to modify your system, but it is done with just an SD card and you do not change your NAND in any way. You just update BootMii, use it, then remove it without any trace whatsoever.

The systems would not have the same system number, as that can't be updated, AFAIK.

The only ways they could make this official transfer method work is to either ignore the fact that it makes piracy easy, or permanently brick the old Wii during the transfer. Neither of those is likely to happen.

linkboy said:
I did a while back

Trust me when I say this, follow the directions 100%. There's a lot of screws that you're going to be taking apart.

My local Play N Trade did mine for me (didn't charge me either, it was more of a learning experience for both of us).

Doing a case mod for the Wii is not for inexperienced people. If you're not comfortable taking the system apart, don't do it, find someone who is and have them do it. You can, and will, screw up your Wii for good if you mess this up.
Thanks for responding! I'm pretty savvy when it comes to computer hardware, and I read through the instructions on the website (and will be reading them as I do the case swap), so I should be okay doing it myself.

The only previous console I've ever taken apart was my Xbox to do a HDD swap (80GB!) and replace the DVD drive. It's funny how much easier that was than taking the Wii apart looks!

I've been told by someone that works at Walmart that there are no black Wii bundles. (I'm very disappointed by that news)
They are standard White Wii Special Edition WiiSports/Resort bundle for $199 exclusively at Walmart.

So until all the people that have been saying they saw black Wii's at Walmart provide a single a pic, I'll have to believe the Walmart employee.

Not a single Walmart in my area even has the bundle and out of the 5 I called, there were only 3 Wii's between them.

linkboy said:
Not sure who told you that, but when we did the case mod pictured above, it took us almost 3 hours and there was a shit-ton of screws.

You literally have to take every single thing off of the Wii to get to the screws that hold the motherboard down to the bottom part of the case. There's no way to get to them otherwise, then you have to put everything back on in reverse order.
:( Oh well, thanks. While it doesn't sound as easy as I figured, I should be okay, considering that I've plundered in tons of DSes.

zigg

Clipper said:
You do have to modify your system, but it is done with just an SD card and you do not change your NAND in any way. You just update BootMii, use it, then remove it without any trace whatsoever.

Hmm, I thought more was required to run one of those tools. Fair enough.

But it's already still easy to just go ahead and pirate all these things already, isn't it? Isn't it more a runaround to have to have someone you know buy them legit then "transfer" them over?

I think the mass P2P methods of piracy that already exist are a much bigger problem than the possibility of--well, basically, it's like someone buying a tape and copying it a couple times for a friend. Even if a cloned set of licenses were to be posted, they'd have a limited useful lifespan as new stuff is added every week.

I still don't think it's enough to stop Nintendo from offering this if they thought it would prove profitable to do so.

JohnB

Dragona Akehi said:
It can be done, though it's a huge pain in the arse.

1) Buy Black Wii
2) Call NOA and bitch until they agree to let you send in both units
3) Send in both units
4) Receive old unit now clear of licences, and Black Wii now with licences.
5) Bitch about shitty Nintendo DRM.

What Dragona said.

We poor wee Scots have had to put up with this for months.

Nintendo sent both units back to me slightly buggered, physically.

J.

Guy Legend

Maybe I should say this again.....there is no black Wii for North America. The bundles being sighted at Walmart are white.

Don Equals B7

Neo Member
Guy Legend said:
Maybe I should say this again.....there is no black Wii for North America. The bundles being sighted at Walmart are white.

But the bundles have been confirmed, right? Either way, it is still a great deal.

Hmmm... hopefully these become more common. My brother's place was broken into and his Wii was stolen (among other things). This would make a great deal to jump back into.

Preble

My family just got this bundle. It was a pretty good deal imo. I do have a question though, sorry if it sounds stupid.

Let's say I wanted to connect our Wii to the Internet. I understand that the service is free, but my question is would anyone been able to hack it/place a virus on it after connecting? Again sorry if it sounds stupid, I not very smart when it comes to these things.

Preble said:
My family just got this bundle. It was a pretty good deal imo. I do have a question though, sorry if it sounds stupid.

Let's say I wanted to connect our Wii to the Internet. I understand that the service is free, but my question is would anyone been able to hack it/place a virus on it after connecting? Again sorry if it sounds stupid, I not very smart when it comes to these things.

Absolutely (99,99%) sure there's no risk.

0,01 would be corrupt update from Nintendo.

McLovin

Wow looks so nice! I'm waiting on the Wii HD if that ever happens so I'll have to pass. But damn thats really tempting!

Just got off the phone: starting May 2nd the Wii bundles will be available for reserve at GameStop for release May 9th.

Both white and BLACK will be released, $199.99 with Wii Sports Resort and Motion+ just like the limited WalMart bundle. Old standard Wii sku will be discontinued.

edit: sorry, Gamestop conference call.

ImNotLikeThem said:
Just got off the phone: starting May 2nd the Wii bundles will be available for reserve at GameStop for release May 9th.

Both white and BLACK will be released, $199.99 with Wii Sports Resort and Motion+ just like the limited WalMart bundle. Old standard Wii sku will be discontinued.
Off the phone with whom? :lol

I don't need a Wii, but damn, that bundle is HOTTTTTT tuh tuh tuh tuh.

I almost feel like buying a new one right now :{ but I won't.

ImNotLikeThem said:

Well, that's a pretty big deal, especially if this is replacing the current SKU. Will the original Wii Sports still be included?

Father_Brain said:
Well, that's a pretty big deal, especially if this is replacing the current SKU. Will the original Wii Sports still be included?
Yeah, same bundle as from before so: Wii system and cables, wii remote/nunchuck/motion+, Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort.

Clipper said:
The problem is that we have NAND backup methods such as BootMii. You could take a Wii with a full set of tickets, use this fabled official method to transfer its account to a new Wii, then restore the NAND of the old Wii and you'd be able to use every game on both systems. Sure, you wouldn't be able to buy new games on the old Wii, but the new Wii is ripe to clone to another Wii and so on.

Note that I do not condone any of these actions. It would be disgusting to do such a thing. But there is no way I can see that Nintendo could block this functionality without first properly blocking BootMii.
It's not like that would allow anything new, though, would it? People can already install things they didn't pay for if they're in deep enough to be a BootMii user.
ImNotLikeThem said:
Yeah, same bundle as from before so: Wii system and cables, wii remote/nunchuck/motion+, Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort.
Nice. Not quite a price drop, but close.

-PXG-

ImNotLikeThem said:

My manager was on conference call with our DM this afternoon too. He made no mention of a new Wii SKU.

-PXG- said:
My manager was on conference call with our DM this afternoon too. He made no mention of a new Wii SKU.
Doesn't mean it isn't true. This kind of information is on a "trickle down" setup. The store managers get info on a District call from the DMs, who get info from a regional call, who get info from a market call, etc etc, Or from emails or whatever. Either way, it has to come from above first. Unless you are implying I made this up, which in that case, someone else up above confirmed the same thing:
jrricky said:
Just confirmed by manager at Gamestop from conference call.:D

-PXG-

I'm not saying it's not true. Just odd that our DM would forget to tell us something like that. He's usually meticulous, very on point and never forgets anything.

-PXG-

I'm somewhat tempted. Need to save my money for other stuff. But if I had a lot of extra dough to spend, I would probably buy this. Finally, we can get our long awaited Revolutions :lol

What i meant by that was maybe that he didn't know about it yet. If this is info from today, maybe he just hasn't gotten that info from above him yet. I'm Northeast market btw, and I usually get information about new things happening at gamestop online before our DM tells us about it. Maybe we just got early info first this time :/

A friend of mine said some FYE, forgot where he saw it, had a pre-order Black Wii for May display a few weeks back. He thought he was crazy cause he never heard any news nor does any other store have this.

-PXG-

ImNotLikeThem said:
What i meant by that was maybe that he didn't know about it yet. If this is info from today, maybe he just hasn't gotten that info from above him yet. I'm Northeast market btw, and I usually get information about new things happening at gamestop online before our DM tells us about it. Maybe we just got early info first this time :/

Me too :lol

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
ImNotLikeThem said:

Should come with this:

frank.jpg

Wow.

T-Matt

ImNotLikeThem said:

If true, that means it will be released the day after my birthday. I might treat myself!

fernoca

Darn it!
If it was fugly..
But just got a Black Wii Remote with Motion Plus, Black Nunchuck, Black Classic Controller Pro..to use as my main controllers, and leave the white ones to my friends..

And all looks so..cool..so nice.

Guess I'll be trading my Wii and accesories plus use $30 I have on my Edge..this May 9th.. :/

Top Bottom