• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stealth launch of Black Wii (WSR bundle) in North America? (unconfirmed)

gkryhewy

EDIT: NO. There is a new special WHITE bundle at Wal-Mart that includes WSR, but no black units. False alarm, but still a great deal.

Original post:

They appear to be trickling into Wal-Marts, according to FatWallet, Slickdeals, etc. Unconfirmed for now. The alleged UPC is 45496880156.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/992716

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showth...Hot+Deals+-+SlickDeals.net+Forums)&id=1548985

Someone on Fatwallet posted a photo, but it appears to just be a shot of the Euro bundle...

EDIT: This in fact is *not* a shot of the Euro bundle, which makes it more credible. Thanks for the correction!

EDIT 2: Dammit -- maybe Euro, maybe not, okay?

The interesting thing is that the reported price of this bundle (with WM+ and WSR) is $199.

28122_wii_20black_20ltd_20ed_20box_202.jpg

mushy45 said:
is that a black motion plus?

Yep, and they're really good looking. We sell them as a standalone product as well, being a Wiimote and Wii Motion+ attached, for the same price as buying them apart from eachother, but black.

Black Classic Controller Pro and Nunchuck also really schmexy

Bizzyb

Banned
crazy monkey said:
if it iss 199 i am selling my wii now and getting this one.

Hope you don't have any VC or Wiiware games attached to your Wii then, cause as far as I know there is no way to transfer them.

Will be selling the white one I have and grabbing that if that's the case (the $199 price point).

Someone check out their walmart!

Bizzyb said:
Hope you don't have any VC or Wiiware games attached to your Wii then, cause as far as I know there is no way to transfer them.

It can be done, though it's a huge pain in the arse.

1) Buy Black Wii
2) Call NOA and bitch until they agree to let you send in both units
3) Send in both units
4) Receive old unit now clear of licences, and Black Wii now with licences.
5) Bitch about shitty Nintendo DRM.

Why the hell wouldn't NoA announce this at the media summit? Sometimes I think they just like jerking us around.

That said, do want. It's long overdue.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Pizza Luigi said:
Yep, and they're really good looking. We sell them as a standalone product as well, being a Wiimote and Wii Motion+ attached, for the same price as buying them apart from eachother, but black.

Black Classic Controller Pro and Nunchuck also really schmexy

black wiimote motion + combo is ten dollars cheaper than the two products separate, in the US at least... not counting gamestop's 5 dollar mark up.

Dragona Akehi said:

1) Buy Black Wii
3) Send in both units

holy shit. I thought we can just put them on sd card from menu and put in the wii I buy. I have only very few games. The only option i see is that when we sell my wii i sell it with wii + vc games price. :(

crazy monkey said:
holy shit. I thought we can just put them on sd card from menu and put in the wii I buy. I have only very few games. The only option i see is that when we sell my wii i sell it with wii + vc games price. :(

To be fair, NOA should offer to pay for shipping on your part. You also may have an authorised repair centre near you (if that's the case just take them in yourself and they can do it whilst you wait). It's still utterly retarded.

Dragona Akehi said:
To be fair, NOA should offer to pay for shipping on your part. You also may have an authorised repair centre near you (if that's the case just take them in yourself and they can do it whilst you wait). It's still utterly retarded.

agreed.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

Some of the technical set-backs the Wii has are just astounding considering the president of the company is a programmer!!

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Some of the technical set-backs the Wii has are just astounding considering the president of the company is a programmer!!
It's not a matter of them not being able to do it - it's just them not wanting to do it.

Glad to see it come to NA, but I'll stick with my white launch Wii. I'm not much of a console double-dipper. The only time I've ever gotten a second system was when I got the DS Lite.

If this is true, it will be interesting to see what - if any - bounce Wii sales get.

Shikamaru Ninja said:

Well there's a silver lining: Nintendo cannot ever hit the big red button on their end and wipe out your 'licences' on your Wii.

BertramCooper said:
It's not a matter of them not being able to do it - it's just them not wanting to do it.

No, they quite literally can't.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

Glad to see it come to NA, but I'll stick with my white launch Wi

Obviously Nintendo could do anything they wanted to. Again, my problem is the foresight Iwata lacks sometimes when he comes from such a technological background.

Meesh

I want it, I want it now.

But I'l be sobbing for weeks about the loss of my vc games :(
Dragona Akehi said:

1) Buy Black Wii
3) Send in both units
Aaaaaaaaaaaah, so there is a way....

Wow, if this is really out, I'm buying this immediately with another black Wiimote/WM+ bundle and nunchuck.

Black Wii looks amazing.

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Obviously Nintendo could do anything they wanted to. Again, my problem is the foresight Iwata lacks sometimes when he comes from such a technological background.

Maybe in this case his background is a drawback. I know I've met several brilliant programmers who absolutely can't wrap their minds around broader architectural concepts, because they get too mired in the nuts and bolts. Obviously I have absolutely no evidence that this is the case with Iwata.

Alright so there is zero confirmation that that post is accurate. I guess it's all hearsay and I'll have to check out my Walmart when I get a chance...

Alex

I wish I had a need for one, maybe I should just get a shell or something for my current. Everything in my setup is black except the damned Wii. Including the handhelds!

Effect

Dragona Akehi said:

1) Buy Black Wii
3) Send in both units

There really should be an easier way to do this. You already have an account with the Wii Shop. they should simply let you remove the current Wii from the account and add the new Wii to the account. Then you can redownload the games. The current way is crazy. Not just from a customer stand point but for Nintendo as well. They're just creating more work for themselves.

Effect said:
There really should be an easier way to do this. You already have an account with the Wii Shop. they should simply let you remove the current Wii from the account and add the new Wii to the account. Then you can redownload the games. The current way is crazy. Not just from a customer stand point but for Nintendo as well. They're just creating more work for themselves.

Read this. Tickets cannot be remotely deleted from a Wii, they must be transferred by a repair centre. And no amount of "firmware" can be upgraded to allow for this.

Casier98

Neo Member
If it does indeed show up here, and does sell for $199, it might finally be the time to get a Wii, especially with Galaxy 2 just around the corner :D

Why would they stealth-launch this when they had a press event just a little over a week ago?

I'm not saying they wouldn't, but it would be a strange thing to skip. Just as long as it's not a Wal-Mart exclusive like Chibi-Robo DS.

Kulock said:
Why would they stealth-launch this when they had a press event just a little over a week ago?

I'm not saying they wouldn't, but it would be a strange thing to skip. Just as long as it's not a Wal-Mart exclusive like Chibi-Robo DS.
Well this adds value(motion plus and WSR) for the same price tag. They might want to dry up the supply of old white bundle Wii's first so they have less to buy back from retailers. They will probably have the same bundle for the white one too.

Luigiv

Just to play the devil's advocate, the reason for Nintendo went with the system = the account approach is because it eliminates the need for the users to sign up for an account (to make things easier for PC illiterate people to get online). I actually kinda enjoy it, to be perfectly honest. I hate signing up for accounts.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Kulock said:

Eh, it's just a new color, they had better shit to talk about.

Poetaster

Banned
Luigiv said:
Just to play the devil's advocate, the reason for Nintendo went with the system = the account approach is because it eliminates the need for the users to sign up for an account (to make things easier for PC illiterate people to get online). I actually kinda enjoy it, to be perfectly honest. I hate signing up for accounts.
This. I'd much rather skip the whole account making process and in exchange lose the ability to easily transfer all the games I've bought over the years. Did I mention that I'm a masochist?

This is the color we were supposed to get in 2006. Damn you Nintendo! Oh well, I already have a Wii don't need to drop more money on the same system.

Top Bottom