• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stealth launch of Black Wii (WSR bundle) in North America? (unconfirmed)

DonMigs85

Will definitely be getting this. My current Wii is 2 years 2 months old and its drive sounds like a lawnmower.
I'll only be losing World of Goo, Starfox 64 and Shining Force 2, and the locked saves for Mario Kart Wii and Smash Bros. Not sure if it's worth going through the trouble of sending them to NOA just for that. Besides I've heard you sometimes get the consoles back scratched up.

Sounds like a fantastic deal if true, but as much as I would love to get one, I'll just keep my launch Wii. I have too many games tied to my Wii and it's never given me problems.

Somnid

I'm always flabbergasted at the amount of misinformation spread about Nintendo's DRM system. I guess I can't be too surprised because Nintendo doesn't actively talk about it but I figure there's been enough topics about it that people should have some sense.

Firstly, you can get licenses transferred as Dragona said and yes it is a pain-in-the-ass however the process doesn't require sending your unit in. The most typical way is that you need to give them the serial numbers of both Wiis and a receipt for the new Wii. They can then do the transfer remotely.

Also, the HackMii article is 100% speculation and doesn't say they can't implement a broader account system. With any DRM system that is designed for offline the lowest form of protection is local ticket checking (and this is what Nintendo's is based on). Nintendo doesn't have to change the software or the Wii firmware because all that does is check the local ticket and it since you can stay offline indefinitely it doesn't need to do more than that because more elaborate security doesn't mean shit if you can't/don't use it. The DSi is the same way, tickets are checked online only when using the shop because they can be assured of online connectivity and the shop is the software that manages tickets. Offline the DSi still only checks the local ticket because this makes sense when you don't have a connection despite being more vulnerable. There's no reason the Wii can't do at least that.

The speculation is that Nintendo doesn't keep records which is not true at all and secondly even if they didn't they couldn't start which is also bullshit. The latter of which would require an amnesty for some pirates but it's not unthinkable.

gkryhewy

moop2000 said:
I've already called multiple Walmarts and the electronics people have verified this as true

Yes, looks like it'll be confirmed shortly. People on CAG are saying local Wal-Marts are telling them the new bundle goes on sale this weekend.

It'll be interesting to see if this is a Wal-Mart exclusive, which might help explain why it wasn't promoted in the retail conference last week.

EDIT: Oh, and by people on CAG, turns out I mean you :lol

gkrykewy said:
Yes, looks like it'll be confirmed shortly. People on CAG are saying local Wal-Marts are telling them the new bundle goes on sale this weekend.

It'll be interesting to see if this is a Wal-Mart exclusive, which might help explain why it wasn't promoted in the retail conference last week.

EDIT: Oh, and by people on CAG, turns out I mean you :lol

Yeah I double fist CAG and here.

Has anyone here ever done a case mod on their Wii? I ordered this the other day, and I'm wondering how it's going to turn out...

http://www.xcm.cc/i_case_black_knight.htm

2ppwyfq.jpg

I'd rather do this to my launch Wii (which has hundreds of dollars in downloads on it) than buy a new black system, which is the color I wanted from the beginning. :(

We might sell the old White Wii for a Black one. Not sure if we want two consoles. Still gearing up to buy a PS3 and GOW3. Decisions....

gamergirly said:
We might sell the old White Wii for a Black one. Not sure if we want two consoles. Still gearing up to buy a PS3 and GOW3. Decisions....
Just get the PS3 and GOW3 first, your white Wii will be enough for now.

Somnid said:
I'm always flabbergasted at the amount of misinformation spread about Nintendo's DRM system. I guess I can't be too surprised because Nintendo doesn't actively talk about it but I figure there's been enough topics about it that people should have some sense.

Firstly, you can get licenses transferred as Dragona said and yes it is a pain-in-the-ass however the process doesn't require sending your unit in. The most typical way is that you need to give them the serial numbers of both Wiis and a receipt for the new Wii. They can then do the transfer remotely.

They cannot remotely delete licences on the Wii. It is impossible.

Also, the HackMii article is 100% speculation and doesn't say they can't implement a broader account system. With any DRM system that is designed for offline the lowest form of protection is local ticket checking (and this is what Nintendo's is based on). Nintendo doesn't have to change the software or the Wii firmware because all that does is check the local ticket and it since you can stay offline indefinitely it doesn't need to do more than that because more elaborate security doesn't mean shit if you can't/don't use it. The DSi is the same way, tickets are checked online only when using the shop because they can be assured of online connectivity and the shop is the software that manages tickets. Offline the DSi still only checks the local ticket because this makes sense when you don't have a connection despite being more vulnerable. There's no reason the Wii can't do at least that.

The speculation is that Nintendo doesn't keep records which is not true at all and secondly even if they didn't they couldn't start which is also bullshit. The latter of which would require an amnesty for some pirates but it's not unthinkable.

You're really not reading this properly. You should have read this when I linked the overarching article.

The Wii's system is locked. IOS is a mess.

IOS IS NOT A HYPERVISOR AND NINTENDO CANNOT CREATE ONE.

border

Luigiv said:
Just to play the devil's advocate, the reason for Nintendo went with the system = the account approach is because it eliminates the need for the users to sign up for an account (to make things easier for PC illiterate people to get online). I actually kinda enjoy it, to be perfectly honest. I hate signing up for accounts.

Except that you could allow license transfers without having account signups. It's not a tradeoff -- Nintendo just designed an awful system that doesn't allow them to remotely transfer licenses (which could be done by serial number or MAC address rather than account name).

BlackNMild2k1 said:
I just called the Walmart in Canton, Mi and the lady said they never had any such Black Wii's in stock.

*offtopic: Canton eh? I'm actually going to a really good ramen shop there tomorrow. Matsuchan or something.

but to the topic at hand I trust CAG. They've never steered me wrong before!

Osuwari

Dragona Akehi said:
It can be done, though it's a huge pain in the arse.

1) Buy Black Wii
2) Call NOA and bitch until they agree to let you send in both units's serial numbers
3) reply to the confirmation email they send you
4) Wait a few hours and now check old Wii clear of licences and Black Wii now with licences.
5) Bitch about shitty Nintendo DRM.

fixed if you're a pimp like me.

although i already used up my chance so i might not be able to repeat it if i want to get a black wii.....

I sold my launch Wii to a soccer mom two years ago when the iron was still super hot for $450 bucks. I've been waiting for a US black Wii to jump back in. I would get this as soon as it was available in my area or online.

The Hermit

My old Wii is starting to crap out (many graphical glitches in EO2 especially), so this is good new for me.

I might wait for the WiiHD though... ;)

Struct09

Any confirmed black Wii sightings in the US? Or could this just be a special WalMart bundle that includes Wii Sports Resort?

zigg

Dragona Akehi said:
No, they quite literally can't.

Humor me. What part of that article says that Nintendo can't implement revocation of authorizations in a future Wii update? I can't find it.

Additionall: has anyone actually gone through the system code beginning-to-end and found proof that a revocation routine doesn't exist? I mean, we didn't even know they could do it on DSi until you yourself found out, as I recall.

I'm a pretty technically-literate kinda guy and have observed (from afar--for me, personally, the benefits of a modified system have never looked particularly attractive, though I'll certainly defend the rights of anyone to do what they will with their own legally-acquired content) the whole Wii-hacking game for awhile now, and I haven't seen anything that says a scenario like this couldn't be possible:

1. You have two working Wiis, one old, one new.
  2. You update the old to 5.0 or whatever.
  3. The Shop Channel that requires 5.0 has an option to "suck up" the licenses from the old Wii, deauthorizing all downloaded content, for later replacement onto a second system.
It's my belief the far more likely scenario is that Nintendo doesn't see the profit in taking the time to make it possible for users to transfer from one color Wii to another. I think they rightly see the bump they get from a new color as people who were holding off because they didn't like the old, not people who want to replace thousands of perfectly-working systems that they were otherwise happy with.

Or, maybe there's some clause in their licensing somewhere that makes it legally impossible for them to let users transfer licenses to another console--particularly one they might not own.

Just to be clear, I certainly recognize the Wii architecture is quite limited. Disc games can't be patched, things like cross-game chat can't be implemented after-the-fact, etc. I'm not questioning any of that. But you don't need a hypervisor to deauthorize content when the authorization database is on the Wii...

DustinC

Following that thread on CAG it sounds like this might just be a new bundle with Wii Sports Resort and the same old white system now.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
This still isn't in NA? Oh man, Nintendo finally did something nice to Europe =)

My old Wii has modable boot2, unlike new Wiis post 2008.

If I were to get a black Wii, I might just switch their cases. I don't have to go through DRM issues, nor do I have to give up boot2 installed Bootmii. From what I understand, it's extremely easy to remove a Wii's case, so yeah.

UltimateIke said:
Has anyone here ever done a case mod on their Wii? I ordered this the other day, and I'm wondering how it's going to turn out...

2ppwyfq.jpg

I'd rather do this to my launch Wii (which has hundreds of dollars in downloads on it) than buy a new black system, which is the color I wanted from the beginning. :(
What the shit. My business plan I wrote for a class in 2006 was for this exact idea. I should sue! :lol

But seriously, I researched the hell out of this and every plastic manufacturer I talked to said it was too expensive. I'm glad it's gotten cheaper, I guess.

I'd gladly buy a black US Wii, but it's unfortuante that Nintendo never included any way of "owning" your Wii Shop purchases (accounts) and is therefore locked by console.

Still need a JP Wii though, so black for that I guess.

linkboy

UltimateIke said:

I did a while back

IMG_0129-1.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

Trust me when I say this, follow the directions 100%. There's a lot of screws that you're going to be taking apart.

My local Play N Trade did mine for me (didn't charge me either, it was more of a learning experience for both of us).

Doing a case mod for the Wii is not for inexperienced people. If you're not comfortable taking the system apart, don't do it, find someone who is and have them do it. You can, and will, screw up your Wii for good if you mess this up.

zigg

Is that replacement case less scratchable than the Wii's original finish?

I'm not really in the market for a color change, but that would increase its value quite a bit for me. I really, really hate the way shiny black plastic gets all fingerprinty (less an issue with a console) and scratched up.

Guy Legend

Looks like the bundle is a standard white Wii here in North America. Still a good deal, but unless someone gets info/pic stating otherwise, it's white Wii's for now.

6286664aaa.jpg

teiresias

Better not be a black Wii next weekend. After they didn't announce anything about colors on the 24th I finally said screw it and bought a white one two days later. It would SERIOUSLY piss me off if they released one in the next few days.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Luigiv said:
Just to play the devil's advocate, the reason for Nintendo went with the system = the account approach is because it eliminates the need for the users to sign up for an account (to make things easier for PC illiterate people to get online). I actually kinda enjoy it, to be perfectly honest. I hate signing up for accounts.

Enter username: Stumpokapow
Enter password: americarules!!!

Do you agree to this big long legalese that you're not going to read? (A)

Thanks for signing up, *bwoop connection noise*

All in literally less than one tenth the amount of time it takes to watch the unskippable Wii Sports Resort "Hey moron, this is how you connect your Motion+ to your Wiimote!" video. Not to mention the fact that the Wii can't save credit card information, and thus if you buy points by credit card twice in your entire amount of time owning a Wii, you've already spent more time than signing up for an account on either other system and entering your credit card once :p

linkboy

Why would you do that? said:
My old Wii has modable boot2, unlike new Wiis post 2008.

If I were to get a black Wii, I might just switch their cases. I don't have to go through DRM issues, nor do I have to give up boot2 installed Bootmii. From what I understand, it's extremely easy to remove a Wii's case, so yeah.

Not sure who told you that, but when we did the case mod pictured above, it took us almost 3 hours and there was a shit-ton of screws.

You literally have to take every single thing off of the Wii to get to the screws that hold the motherboard down to the bottom part of the case. There's no way to get to them otherwise, then you have to put everything back on in reverse order.

Johnas

Sold.

No black Wii was one of the reasons I haven't ever purchased anything from the VC or WiiWare. All I'll be losing is save data for Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Dragona Akehi said:
Read this. Tickets cannot be remotely deleted from a Wii, they must be transferred by a repair centre. And no amount of "firmware" can be upgraded to allow for this.
Could you use an official Nintendo USB cable, connect two Wiis to each other, and transfer the tickets that way?

zigg

Drkirby said:
Could you use an official Nintendo USB cable, connect two Wiis to each other, and transfer the tickets that way?

I don't see why not, if software to support it was provided in a future system update.

But it's almost certainly not necessary to have one in the first place, unless Nintendo wants/legally needs to make sure both machines are physically in the same room at the time of the transfer, to cut down on license trading.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Drkirby said:

Doubtful. The last thing Nintendo wants is for friends to buy a game, then pass it to another friend's Wii without them buying it themselves. Unless you have to register your Wii(s) on your Club Nintendo account, and thus, you can transfer between registered Wii. Sure, you could still scam it, by registering all your friends Wiis and trading games with them, but alas..

Somnid

Dragona Akehi said:
Read this. Tickets cannot be remotely deleted from a Wii, they must be transferred by a repair centre. And no amount of "firmware" can be upgraded to allow for this.

I'm not sure what you are reading in there.

The firmware/IOS need not be involved (other than some calls to IOS for read/write operations to the NAND flash). Your shop channel can read, write and delete tickets. Try deleting your shop account to test the delete function, I guarantee they'll be gone forever. The idea of adding a server-side check against what you have everytime you boot up the shop is pretty easy (in fact your DSi already does it).

The question is one of where do those records come from? They already have Club Nintendo, there is strong evidence that they have transaction log files, or they could create new ones using a one-time scan of the tickets you currently have. From there it's a matter of a check-in/check-out system. It's not Steam and you could potentially still fuck yourself but it would work for 99% of all cases.

Top Bottom