• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Feb NBA Season lOT| Controlling it like a man, bruh

SoulPlaya

more money than God
James is also the man that almost went 7 games straight with 30+ points and 60 percent shooting. What he's doing right now is other worldly.

That last long range 3 pointer he threw up near the end of the game I thought was a good statement. While eating up the clock, he thought it was more important to at least try and get a shot off, rather than to get the record of 7 games in a row. He could of dumped off a shitty pass and just have it be a turnover. Instead he made sure that he got a shot up as the shot clock expired.

I don't know if I've ever seen a better basketball IQ from a player. He's ascended his game this season.
OK, now we're just getting silly. Oscar Robertson in 1961-1962 averaged 31 points, 13 rebounds and 11 assists for the year. That's "other worldy." Wilt averaged 50 ppg for an entire season. That's ridiculous. LeBron is playing great, but this kind of talk is just ignorant. It makes it sound like no one has ever played better than him.

I stand behind it. He's like a second coach on the court, and seems to be aware of the right play to make at all times.

Watching him talk to his teammates, and putting them in the right place before a play starts is fun to watch.

He has good court vision for sure, but Chris Paul has him trumped in that department easily not to mention many guys who are no longer active.

Mahonay

Banned
OK, now we're just getting silly. Oscar Robertson in 1961-1962 averaged 31 points, 13 rebounds and 11 assists for the year. That's "other worldy." Wilt averaged 50 ppg for an entire season. That's ridiculous. LeBron is playing great, but this kind of talk is just ignorant. It makes it sound like no one has ever played better than him.
It's a different era. He's playing against modern athletes. I don't think it's a straight comparison to make.
He has good court vision for sure, but Chris Paul has him trumped in that department easily not to mention many guys who are no longer active.
Alright so maybe just from players currently active. Paul is certainly right up there as well.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I stand behind it. He's like a second coach on the court, and seems to be aware of the right play to make at all times.

Watching him talk to his teammates, and putting them in the right place before a play starts is fun to watch.
No offense, but that's what many alpha stars do. Plenty in NBA history have done, and done it better. You're just watching a guy go up against inferior competition, with practically no one in the league able to match. I'm starting to think people are pushing the LeBron as GOAT argument, because they just don't believe anyone played any better. It's just not true.

Mahonay

Banned
No offense, but that's what many alpha stars do. Plenty in NBA history have done, and done it better. You're just watching a guy go up against inferior competition, with practically no one in the league able to match. I'm starting to think people are pushing the LeBron as GOAT argument, because they just don't believe anyone played any better. It's just not true.
MJ is GOAT.

LeBron hate in here is strong. Holy shit. Don't talk about LeBron in a positive light, lesson learned.

Mahonay

Banned
What does that even mean? This era is garbage compared to many previous eras.
Well sure, current NBA can't touch 90's or 80's. The league is just beginning to get back to a point where the competition is strong.

I think it's fair to consider that players have gotten stronger and faster. Definitely doesn't mean they are more talented, but that's something definitely to account for.
slurp slurp
sorry that all I thought of when I was reading your post
I see.

I said WHEN THEY LEAD THE LEAGUE IN THEM. Getting to the foul line as an effective strategy to cut the deficit of a huge lead.
So I'm supposed to interpret this

I know Heat fans did not complain about free throws when LeBron and Wade lead the league in them.
to meaning LeBron and Wade lead the league in free throws WHEN they feel like it?

lol whatever bruh. As opposed to KD who got 21 FTA in two consecutive games?

Lebrons the only one to go on a hot streak of this nature and he's one asshole three away from continuing with. Its certainly "other worldly". Nobody is really calling the season other worldy.

This year Bron is 27pts 7ast and 8rbs shooting 42% from 3 and 56.5% overall

Larry bird in 86/87 season 29.9pts 6ast and 9 rbs shooting 41% from 3 and 52.7% overall

Bron's great but it does feel like his argument for GOAT is being prematurely made.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Well sure, current NBA can't touch 90's or 80's. The league is just beginning to get back to a point where the competition is strong.

I think it's fair to consider that players have gotten stronger and faster. Definitely doesn't mean they are more talented, but that's something definitely to account for.
Stronger and faster is debatable. It really is. And there's no reason to get mad over "LeBron hate". You said he was playing "other wordly". Like you were in shock of it. However, in the history of the NBA, averaged 30 points on 60% shooting in a 6 game stretch isn't all that incredible.

Mahonay

Banned
Stronger and faster is debatable. It really is. And there's no reason to get mad over "LeBron hate". You said he was playing "other wordly". Like you were in shock of it. However, in the history of the NBA, averaged 30 points on 60% shooting in a 6 game stretch isn't all that incredible.
Okay. LeBron James is a good basketball player. I'll stick to that.

Man crush level is over 9000 though.

Only three people have done it lol. Two besides bron.

See now you're going crazy in the opposite direction.

30 points on 60% is insane

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Only three people have done it lol.
I don't care. The way these statistics work, you can create any arbitrary standard to measure a guy in order to drum up hype. I joked earlier that with LeBron at 58% in this game, the new ESPN tagline will just be that he's gone 7 games in a row with 30 ppg at at least 58% shooting. You just move the goal posts, and play with the statistics to make it seem unique. Remember a little while ago when Dalembert had a great game, and statistics showed that he did it in a unique way.

Don't get me wrong, LeBron is the best in the world today, and he's having a great stretch. However, by the standard that he is being measured (all time greatness), it's good, but nothing ridiculous. Other guys have done more impressive things, and for a whole season or longer.

This year Bron is 27pts 7ast and 8rbs shooting 42% from 3 and 56.5% overall

Larry bird in 86/87 season 29.9pts 6ast and 9 rbs shooting 41% from 3 and 52.7% overall

Bron's great but it does feel like his argument for GOAT is being prematurely made.

Lets not turn this into a regular season stats pissing match because lebron would have larry beat. People seem to forget that lebron is the 3rd on the highest PPG list.

LeBron is the best player in the league, nobody would debate that.

And Durant did NOT have a bad shooting night, unless you count scoring 40 points on 50% shooting bad. He started cold but ended on fire.

I don't care. The way these statistics work, you can create any arbitrary standard to measure a guy in order to drum up hype. I joked earlier that with LeBron at 58% in this game, the new ESPN tagline will just be that he's gone 7 games in a row with 30 ppg at at least 58% shooting. You just move the goal posts, and play with the statistics to make it seem unique. Remember a little while ago when Dalembert had a great game, and statistics showed that he did it in a unique way.

Don't get me wrong, LeBron is the best in the world today, and he's having a great stretch. However, by the standard that he is being measured (all time greatness), it's good, but nothing ridiculous. Other guys have done more impressive things, and for a whole season or longer.

30pts on 60% shooting is far from arbitrary. Its not unique either. Its quite basic honestly. You just seem to want to downplay as much as possible.

30pts on 60% shooting for a perimeter player is ridiculous, insane, godly, other-wordly, insertrandomsuperlativehere. Just call it what it is. It doesn't change anything, most people pretty much conceded after last year that LBJ is gonna go down as a top 10 GOAT. The quicker you accept it the quicker you can enjoy it.

Lets not turn this into a regular season stats pissing match because lebron would have larry beat. People seem to forget that lebron is the 3rd on the highest PPG list.

You really think Bron will average ~27 for the rest of his career?

Comparing a select year of a player's career makes much more sense than comparing dudes who played 13 years and declined vs someone who is currently in his prime.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I'll give you a "crazy" statistic. Wilt averaged 50 ppg on 51% shooting, along with 26 rebounds per game in a season. Yes, I know, "he was playing with midgets", but from 1959-1973, he averaged around 20 rebounds per game each year, including his last. His best shooting percentage from the field for an entire season was 73%.

Wow.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
30pts on 60% shooting is far from arbitrary. Its not unique either. Its quite basic honestly. You just seem to want to downplay as much as possible.

30pts on 60% shooting for a perimeter player is ridiculous, insane, godly, other-wordly, insertrandomsuperlativehere. Just call it what it is. It doesn't change anything, most people pretty much conceded after last year that LBJ is gonna go down as a top 10 GOAT. The quicker you accept it the quicker you can enjoy it.
He will be a top 10 GOAT. Where did I ever deny that? I strongly believe he will. I just don't think this stretch is all that ridiculous. And he's not really a perimeter player, but alright.

You really think Bron will average ~27 for the rest of his career?

Comparing a select year of a player's career makes much more sense than comparing dudes who played 13 years and declined vs someone who is currently in his prime.

Compare the first 9 seasons....

He will be a top 10 GOAT. Where did I ever deny that? I strongly believe he will. I just don't think this stretch is all that ridiculous. And he's not really a perimeter player, but alright.

what the hell is he then

nba_e_lebron_shot_cahrt_b1_576.jpg

Mahonay

Banned
Oh god what have I started? My love for LeBron James has turned into a war.

I take it all back! LeBron is a doo doo head, and is...is the Least Valuable Player. Of all time.

Vire

Compare the first 9 seasons....

Bron: 27.6pts 7 ast 7 rbs 33% from 3 48% overall

Bird: 25 pts 6 ast 10 rbs 37.7% from 3 50% overall

Not so sure 'bron has Bird beat' is how I would describe that. Bird also had 3 titles in those first 9 years.

edit: Bron's great and could have a better overall career than Bird (Bird got fucked over by his shitty body) but the argument isn't clearly in Bron's favor at the moment.

Michael Jordan: 7 Straight Triple-Doubles, averaging 30.6ppg, 11.6rpg, and 11.0apg

Kobe Bryant: 9 Straight Games Scoring 40+, Averaged: 44.0 ppg, 50fg%, 5.2 rpg, 3.4 apg, 2.56 spg

Michael Jordan: 9 Straight Games Scoring 40+, Averaged: 41.6ppg, 50fg%, 5.7rpg, 4.0apg

Kobe Bryant: 4 Straight Games Scoring 50+

A.I. 5 straight 40pt games

43.6 PPG, .51 FG%, .48 3PT FG%, 7.4 APG, 4.6 RPG, 1.8 SPG

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Michael Jordan: 7 Straight Triple-Doubles, averaging 30.6ppg, 11.6rpg, and 11.0apg

Kobe Bryant: 9 Straight Games Scoring 40+, Averaged: 44.0 ppg, 50fg%, 5.2 rpg, 3.4 apg, 2.56 spg

Michael Jordan: 9 Straight Games Scoring 40+, Averaged: 41.6ppg, 50fg%, 5.7rpg, 4.0apg

A.I. 5 straight

Like I said, LeBron is great, will go down as a great, but this 6 game stretch isn't all that ridiculous. People are just being prisoner of the moment.

Vire

The thing is, Lebron could score 50 points a night, but he's not that kind of player. Too much ball movement/ assists. He rather be a more efficient player.

The 7 straight triple doubles by Jordan is a flabbergasting stat though.

He's still the GOAT in my book. But Lebron has a long long way to go before all is said and done in his career.

Shaq averaged 38 points in 6 NBA Finals game in the 2000 Finals shooting 61% with only 1 game below 59.4%. 17 Rebounds and 3 blocks per game too.

Bron: 27.6pts 7 ast 7 rbs 33% from 3 48% overall

Bird: 25 pts 6 ast 10 rbs 37.7% from 3 50% overall

Not so sure 'bron has Bird beat' is how I would describe that. Bird also had 3 titles in those first 9 years.

edit: Bron's great and could have a better overall career than Bird (Bird got fucked over by his shitty body) but the argument isn't clearly in Bron's favor at the moment.
Oh wow then thats a wash, mostly.
What are you trying to show me in that picture? According to it, the vast majority of his shots are in the paint.

The majority of any perimeter player is in the paint. Thats not a vast majority. Thats 61 shots in the paint vs 55 outside. Thats as much of a perimeter as anybody who isn't a shooter.

A.I. 5 straight 40pt games

There's a huge difference between 50% and 60%.

This would have been the perfect time for Bron to try and reel off some 40+ or 50+ point streaks. That team isn't gonna give a fuck until the playoffs anyway and he is about as physically capable as he is ever going to be.

Vire

The fact that he is getting 60% shooting and he isn't a center (dunks lol) is the mind blowing part. If you watched tonight's and Portland game, he's shooting 60% with ridiculous off balance jump shots mixed in.

Also as shadow lark said there is a big big difference between 50 and 60%.

The thing is, Lebron could score 50 points a night, but he's not that kind of player.
He probably can't even avg. 35ppg over a season like mj and kobe has. But oh that's right, he ain't that kind of player.
Kobe can score fity a night too, but you know, he aint about that life anymore.

Top Bottom