• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RWBY |OT| Volume 5 starts October 14, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got to watch the premier!

My my, where to start?

Weiss: not much here, just her regret and not being able to save everyone. Hopefully she gets some action next week.

Blake: I take it their public debut won't go as planned. I'm guessing the white fang has much more support then she thinks, and someone may even try to dispose her father in retaliation.

Yang: I would have thought Yang would be going after Ruby, but it seems she's after her mom? Interesting given her short, which was about her having Ruby's back.

Ruby: Meet Oz 2.0 Ruby. Hopefully she finds out more about her eyes once Qrow sobers up.

Lionheart: obviously a prisoner in his own school. I take it his capture is the reason the students and teachers are really away, and perhaps Salem has threatened a full on invasion if he doesn't cooperate.

Qrow: my man, you shouldn't have laid out that intel like that. I take it Salem's goons now know the maidens location as well. Queue a race to the location and a three way brawl. I take it the camp is where it will all come to head this season. Cinder v Ruby is so happening.

Cinder is leveling up her Fall Maiden abilities, while Ruby has barely mentioned her Silver Eyes. If Ruby encounters Cinder again, it won't end well for her.

Kin5290

Working through vol 1. The animation is seriously rough. You can tell that considerably more resources were dedicated to the pilot than the other first 5 or so episodes. I’ve had to remind myself that this was made on a budget of two shoelaces and a Cup Noodle. Still, the Deathstalker/Nevermore (thanks YouTube comments) fight was pretty impressive.

Crocodile

New OP kind of sucks. OP of Volume 4 sucked too. They either need to go back and see what they did well for Volumes 1-3 or they need to just do a deep dive through Mother's Basement Youtube channel, pick out some sweet anime OPs and copy what they are doing.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Working through vol 1. The animation is seriously rough. You can tell that considerably more resources were dedicated to the pilot than the other first 5 or so episodes. I’ve had to remind myself that this was made on a budget of two shoelaces and a Cup Noodle. Still, the Deathstalker/Nevermore (thanks YouTube comments) fight was pretty impressive.

Good to see new faces, welcome. The early volumes can be rough at times for sure, but as you progress through the volumes the visuals improve dramatically.

New OP kind of sucks. OP of Volume 4 sucked too. They either need to go back and see what they did well for Volumes 1-3 or they need to just do a deep dive through Mother's Basement Youtube channel, pick out some sweet anime OPs and copy what they are doing.

Are you referring to the visuals or the track itself? After giving it a couple plays I gotta admit that this may be my favorite OP track yet. Casey sounded so different that it took me by surprise at first, but now I'm really loving her new voice.

Cinder is leveling up her Fall Maiden abilities, while Ruby has barely mentioned her Silver Eyes. If Ruby encounters Cinder again, it won't end well for her.

That's something I actually am looking forwards to, weirdly.

Cinder, don't get me wrong, always came off as conniving, despite showing more than once she was capable of great evil. They hyped up her potential prowess and power, but I found Roman to be more of a threatening character whenever he was in the same scene as a protagonist since he was more of a wild card. I'm not saying she isn't an intimidating villain, but shes more despicable than menacing.

Her wrecking Ruby's shit would go a long way into setting her up as a more menacing presence in the show going forwards.

Working through vol 1. The animation is seriously rough. You can tell that considerably more resources were dedicated to the pilot than the other first 5 or so episodes. I've had to remind myself that this was made on a budget of two shoelaces and a Cup Noodle. Still, the Deathstalker/Nevermore (thanks YouTube comments) fight was pretty impressive.

It's a weird argument to try and pose to any newcomer to say "Volume 1 and, to some, 2 are rough but you'll enjoy it once you get through it" - so many anime, nevermind shows in general would be dead in the water if they were championed by a similar concept. But with RWBY it is genuinely that, there was a marathon on twitch last week showcases the show up until current day, and yeah outside of the highlighted action scenes that every fan will likely reminisce to, Volume 1 is all manners of amateur. All I can give is that flaky argument I first mentioned: it does get better. Hope you continue to enjoy it!

Are you referring to the visuals or the track itself? After giving it a couple plays I gotta admit that this may be my favorite OP track yet. Casey sounded so different that it took me by surprise at first, but now I'm really loving her new voice.

I feel it's the visuals letting the side down both here and with Vol 4, they're a bit slow on the animation, and they're trying too hard to pace it alongside both tracks. If you look at 1-3, they're a bit more abstract and minimalist in vision, a lot of single background shots, vibrancy and action, and whilst they do raise and lower the action and tempo to their songs, they aren't ruled by them, if that makes any sense. I feel they are trying to double down on the anime-esque opening from now on, which I think is a conscious decision to utilise as much animation as possible, since it's clear they're spending so much more on animation now and they want to get their money's worth out of it.

Personally I love the song, but if this was less about establishing key dualities
Raven/Yang, Cinder/Spring Maiden
, and less establishment of locations and whatnot, and relied a bit more on abstract vibrancy of the old ones, it would be way better.

That's something I actually am looking forwards to, weirdly.

Cinder, don't get me wrong, always came off as conniving, despite showing more than once she was capable of great evil. They hyped up her potential prowess and power, but I found Roman to be more of a threatening character whenever he was in the same scene as a protagonist since he was more of a wild card. I'm not saying she isn't an intimidating villain, but shes more despicable than menacing.

Her wrecking Ruby's shit would go a long way into setting her up as a more menacing presence in the show going forwards.

I don't think Cinder is going to reclaim her title as the all powerful Big Bad from Vol 2 and 3. She is nothing more than Salem's walking weapon.

I don't think Cinder is going to reclaim her title as the all powerful Big Bad from Vol 2 and 3. She is nothing more than Salem's walking weapon.

Oh I agree, it's just that prior to "The Beginning of the End", Cinder's spot at the top of the roster didn't make her seem all that intimidating a villain, and following that episode where we're alluded to someone else, she seems even less intimidating. It's only really in "Heroes and Monsters" and "End of the Beginning" that she really comes across as a force to be reckoned with. Then what happens? She falls down several pegs in the roster.

She's introduced in a manner similar to, say, Vader, central to first half of the Beacon arc, and as the story continues you're made aware there is a far grander Emperor figure behind her. But Vader never lost his ferocity or menace once this was revealed, nor his reputation as the character everyone else should watch out for, whereas Cinder struggled to justify any of the presence at first (despite every other villain around her treating her like the aforementioned Sith counterpart), and even when she did, the plot only briefly allowed her to flaunt it.

Which is why I said it'll be something I look forwards to if she does wreck Ruby in a fight (Silver Eyes and all), since it will be a clear showcase to cast and audience that all the conspiring and planning led to more than, say, several minutes of a) flashy as fuck vault fighting action, and b) sort of dicking-around OR being impressively well-matched (depending on how well you think she did in her finale fight) atop the tower.

Huh, I wonder why Jaune isn't with Ren and Nora fighting Hazel.

As for the first episode itself:

Not much happened with Weiss other than she is still in transit. Just some inner debate about what she wants to prioritize.

Blake is actually planning something, which her White Fang friend doesn't think will work at all. It was amusing seeing Sun and Blake's father on the same page.

Add me to the camp of being surprised that yang appears to be chasing Raven and not Ruby. Well, that will still lead to a reunion, but I am curious what her logic is.

Back with team RNJR is where the meat of the episode was. So Haven academy is empty and Mistral is in chaos with the threat of Grimm thanks to the festival broadcast. I like seeing the consequences of the Vytel Festival across other Kingdoms. I wasn't expecting Qrow to straight up know where the Spring Maiden would be. Too bad Watt was listening in. I am looking forward to seeing team RNJR's talking with Oscar/Ozpin and how they react.

So far I am excited to see where things will go from here.

Did Summer have Silver Eyes? Because
The Spring Maiden being with Raven for so many years plus the Silver Eyed hunters supposedly being super effective against Maidens is raising some red flags for me.

Did Summer have Silver Eyes? Because
The Spring Maiden being with Raven for so many years plus the Silver Eyed hunters supposedly being super effective against Maidens is raising some red flags for me.

It's still ambiguous, but it's my takeaway Silver Eyes aren't super effective against Maidens at all, just specifically Cinder. Cinder's method of getting the power was unheard of by Ozpin's council - powers being split, and stolen without simply ending Amber's life (at least as far as Cinder's original plan was going). She performed this by donning a unique white glove that spawned a scarab-like Grimm, that forcefully drained Amber, leaving her face scarred. When Qrow intervened, Cinder magically develops her back tattoo, or, given the singeing sound-effect when we see this, her brand. The glove has never been seen again, and following the scene Cinder speaks to, presumably, Salem about her power. A burning hunger, and emptiness. Granted this could be her Maiden power calling out for it's other half, but such dialogue is traditionally used in fiction to describe those who lack a heart, spirit, or soul. We know from Volume 1 the Grimm are soulless, hence why they do not generate aura.

My take? Cinder wanted power more than anything, and so was groomed by, or turned to, Salem. Both planned to take the Fall Maiden's powers, but know Cinder wouldn't have been guaranteed her powers had she killed Amber traditionally (as only the woman last in Amber's thoughts may receive it, she can't guarantee who Amber will think of in her dying moments). But Salem devises a way of stealing it: She has her fuse with a Grimm. Qrow says Salem has been concocting some heinous shit, why not human/Grimm hybrids? That way Cinder gets her power, but is easily killed off by anyone with Silver Eyes - as they are super effective against Grimm, as Qrow said.

Edit:

Hell, that scene in Vol 4 episode 3 (I think? where we learn of the term 'relic' from Salem and that Metroid Grimm) has Salem ambiguously telling Cinder to "make it, fear you." And "It can sense your trepidation." What can? Her powers, You'd think Oz would fill Pyhrra in on the fact the Fall Maiden powers will continuously fuck her up inside. Now assume she's talking about that Scarab Grimm, and suddenly Salem's advice makes total sense. Whilst Cinder is afraid, it's sending the Grimm in her crazy, thus why she's so weak.

2nd Edit:

Hell again, can we actually confirm Cinder ever once displayed Semblance? from her fights; the aircraft with Glynda and Ruby, the infiltration of the CCT, and for funsies that one kick she did in the 4v4 part of the tournament, the only time her powers were discussed is when Ruby notes "she fought with dust, but I don't think that was her semblance." All these fights take place after the attack on Amber, at a point where, potentially as far as this theory is concerned, when she simply couldn't use aura or a semblance anymore, given how she now had tainted, split, or even lost her soul.

Lol 3rd Edit:

To actually respond to the question: I think so given how Qrow told her "You're special, Ruby, like your mom was."

Well, I watched the marathon and got hooked.

Honestly was a surprise to me, because I'd attempted to get into the series a couple times in the past few years and just couldn't pull myself past an episode or two. Maybe my tastes have changed, or Twitch marathons are just that powerful, I don't know. I even ended up watching the JP dub on CR because I was interested in comparing (and was kind of flabbergasted to hear a pretty impressive performance from so many A-list seiyuu on it, what the hell)

I want to put up some impressions from the beginning at some point, when I have the time to organize my thoughts about it.

I guess I'll list some disorganized thoughts though.

• "American-made anime" is the literal thing this show is billed and described as often, but to me it's more like an animated Korean webtoon. I dunno, did anyone else get that impression?
  • Hearing the rougher VAs grow into their roles over the course of the series was strangely gratifying. There are still points where a poorly delivered line(IMO) pulls me out of a scene though.
  • HotLukewarm take: Blake and Sun are made for each other, but not romantically.
  • So many god damn character songs. Wow! Generally amazed by how much heavy lifting the music does in this show.
  • My favorite of the titular 4 is Yang.
  • My favorite(living) antagonist is either Tyrion or Neo. Non-living, well, you can guess.
  • Favorite opening is vol.3.
  • I really liked Yang's vol.4 design and her general moodiness/desire for introspection/vulnerability, which was a fresh side to what we see of her normally. Felt like I was looking at some sort of proto-Baiken in the works. I wish more of that had carried over into her vol.5 outfit/demeanor.
  • The vol.3 disaster train was pretty impressive and was kind of a hard act to follow. Focusing on all the burdens and emotional stress thrust on Pyrrha was a great red herring because even if you thought she was going to die, it was probably 'not just yet' until very late.
  • I hope Raven's design gets a refresh in vol.5, though the opening has lowered my hopes there. I feel like it could use some tuning up like most of the cast has gotten.
  • For all the shit Watts talked about Cinder considering how much she Villain MVP 420 no-scoped Beacon, Ozpin, and world politics in general, I have probably too-high expectations for what he's going to do in the future.

• HotLukewarm take: Blake and Sun are made for each other, but not romantically.
  • My favorite of the titular 4 is Yang.
  • I really liked Yang's vol.4 design and her general moodiness/desire for introspection/vulnerability, which was a fresh side to what we see of her normally. Felt like I was looking at some sort of proto-Baiken in the works. I wish more of that had carried over into her vol.5 outfit/demeanor.

Nailed it on the head.

Especially in regards to Blake and Sun. Those two are Makorra allllll over again. They don't really have any serious romantic chemistry imo. If they hook up together, it's just not gonna last in the longterm.

SDBurton

Well, I watched the marathon and got hooked.

I want to put up some impressions from the beginning at some point, when I have the time to organize my thoughts about it.

I guess I'll list some disorganized thoughts though.

Glad you enjoyed it! More posters here are always welcome. :D

I really liked Yang's vol.4 design and her general moodiness/desire for introspection/vulnerability, which was a fresh side to what we see of her normally. Felt like I was looking at some sort of proto-Baiken in the works. I wish more of that had carried over into her vol.5 outfit/demeanor.

I thought the scene where
her hand began to shake was an excellent touch. It shows that she has yet to overcome her trauma completely and I'm looking forward to how that comes into play in the event she encounters Adam again.

Crocodile

The visuals (I'll have to listen to the song some more, didn't leave a huge impression on me either way). Little to no pop/snap.I feel most shonen openings in the past few years rank better (Jojo openings topping the list).

Visuals: 3 > 2 > 1 > 4 > 5

Music: 1 > 2 > 5 > 4 > 3

Visuals: All first 3 volumes have pretty great visuals, so there isn't much separating them, the reason why they're in that particular order is because 1s is, as is it's purpose, just an introduction to the cast, whereas 2 and 3 had pretty nice nods to the overall plot of their respective seasons, and of those two Vol 3 does that job slightly better. As for the other two intros, they're also close together in rank, in that I already pointed out how the visuals aren't to my taste at all.

Music: Here we're just comparing tracks, 'When it Falls' is aggressive and loud, and it serves its purpose perfectly in creating an off-beat, uncomfortable mood whenever you watch it, befitting it's volume, but it lacked any of the heart I hear from the other 4. 'Let's Just Live' is, nice, but forgettable. It lacks something that 'When if Falls' does; it doesn't grip you within moments, despite a strong guitar intro, it's a little too plodding before the chorus. Vol 5s (I dunno if the name got announced yet) sits higher simply because it sounds like Casey in particular is really trying to push her boundaries, on top of being a pretty pumped track. 'Time to say Goodbye' and 'This Will be the Day' could be interchangeable on every level in that they are routinely used (alongside 'Red Like Roses Part 2') as the main 'sound of RWBY', I only put 'This Will be the Day' ahead since it's usually my first recollection of RWBY music if I hadn't thought about it for a while.

SDBurton

Visuals: 2, 1, 5, 4, 3

Music: 2, 5, 1, 4, 3

Visuals: While all the volumes have great visuals, volume 2 stands above the rest. Visuals are fast and gorgeous, and compliments the music beautifully. When the music picks up the pace as the scene transitions to Ruby falling from the sky, followed by the rest of her team and fellow students at Beacon hitting the ground hard leading up to the hook you have this incredible, powerful, awe-inspiring force of nature that gets you pumped beyond belief. Volume 5 snags the #2 spot as I love how it seems that the pieces are starting to come together (
"pieces" being team RWBY,
with Yang getting back out there and Weiss on her way to Mistral
)

Honorable Mentions: That volume 4 intro scene with Blake when she was being attacked by Adam still has me laughing. What in the world was that? XD

Music: Again, Volume 2 takes the crown in this as well, but as I said before the Volume 5 track "Triumph" is really starting to grow on me. Props to Casey for trying something different.

Ultimadrago

Honorable Mentions: That volume 4 intro scene with Blake when she was being attacked by Adam still has me laughing. What in the world was that? XD

rwbyaaahvdlxj.gif

Blake's Finest Hour lmao

Crocodile

Yeah I still don't know how that bit in Opening 4 with Blake vs. Adam made it to the final version. Did nobody really stand up and say "WTF is this shit"?

Poor Blake, lol.
That kooky cut also made me expect to see Adam beyond the nightmare appearance in that volume, but everything was proxies.

I thought the scene where
her hand began to shake was an excellent touch. It shows that she has yet to overcome her trauma completely and I'm looking forward to how that comes into play in the event she encounters Adam again.
That's a good point; definitely glad they did that to set expectations in this volume. Though I still wish they'd kept more of her look from vol.4 rather than essentially reverting back to her usual.

Nuts n' Dolts redeemed?

I'm ok with this. N&D and Lancaster are like the only two ships I can really see with her. Whiterose is just goofball to me, though Ruby really does want to be Weiss's friend.

And Lancaster is stalled by Phyrra's death, and their still not over it. Will be a roadblock until
Cinder pays for what she did.

I so want penny to return this season, rebuilt in a new outfit.

I can even see a justification: Sent to retrieve Weiss at Ironwoods order, and to defeat emerald, whom she is a natural counter for. Can't project a vision onto the eyes of an gynoid, now can you?

Lindsay does ship it I believe.

Yeah, Nuts N Dolts is basically to Lindsay what Bumbleby is to Barb and Arryn.

I'm ok with this. N&D and Lancaster are like the only two ships I can really see with her. Whiterose is just goofball to me, though Ruby really does want to be Weiss's friend.

And Lancaster is stalled by Phyrra's death, and their still not over it. Will be a roadblock until
Cinder pays for what she did.

Completely agreed on all accounts. I could maybe see Rose Garden (Ruby/Oscar) happening way down the road, depending on how Oscar is developed as a character, but aside from that there aren't many realistic relationships for Ruby on a romantic sense. There's Penny or Jaune and that's basically it.

Completely agreed on all accounts. I could maybe see Rose Garden (Ruby/Oscar) happening way down the road, depending on how Oscar is developed as a character, but aside from that there aren't many realistic relationships for Ruby on a romantic sense. There's Penny or Jaune and that's basically it.

I gotta say the fanart is winning me over to rosegarden.

https://irozhea.tumblr.com/post/166559073290/it-was-nice-while-it-lasted

But I like Nuts and Dolts too.

SDBurton

I can't on this one, because at the end of the day it's basically
Ozpin
x Ruby and their dialogue would be awkward af. LOL

Ozpin

Ehhh, that's not really something that hinders me because
there's no way on God's green earth that Ozpin stays in Oscar's head forever. He'll have to "fade away" or something eventually in order for Oscar to be able to establish himself as his own person apart from Ozpin.
Plus, like I said, if Rose Garden were going to happen, it won't be until a loooooong time from now.

But if Penny ever returns, I could definitely see Nuts n' Dolts becoming canon at some point. It'd be great.

Ehh I just think of it being like Avatar:The Last Airbender.

Essentially this.

Ozpin

And yeah
Ozpin isn’t going to be around forever his speech implied he went through the same thing but as far as we know there isn’t a third person running around Oscars head.

Ozpin

He is focusing on her specifically during the initiation exam, and makes a bee-line to her as soon as she's alone during the dance... just sayin'...

I agree, Ozpin being a part of Oscar is a massive turn-off to what I would otherwise look like a nice couple.

SDBurton

Ehhh, that's not really something that hinders me because
there's no way on God's green earth that Ozpin stays in Oscar's head forever. He'll have to "fade away" or something eventually in order for Oscar to be able to establish himself as his own person apart from Ozpin.
Plus, like I said, if Rose Garden were going to happen, it won't be until a loooooong time from now.

And yeah
Ozpin isn’t going to be around forever his speech implied he went through the same thing but as far as we know there isn’t a third person running around Oscars head.

He is focusing on her specifically during the initiation exam, and makes a bee-line to her as soon as she's alone during the dance... just sayin'...

I agree, Ozpin being a part of Oscar is a massive turn-off to what I would otherwise look like a nice couple.

9f724154209c4c851fab3e941da3b54301ef488b_hq.gif

I just think that
it's kinda unfair to immediately write off the idea just because Oscar has to share his brain with Ozpin for some yet-to-be-determined amount of time. Even if we don't really know much about Oscar yet, he is his own character, after all.

Granted, out of all the options discussed, I'd personally be most satisfied with Nuts n Dolts. The idea of this coming to life onscreen at the end of the show would be delightfully hilarious for Ruby.

SDBurton

But it’s so cute.

That pic is indeed cute! Point taken.

I just think that
it's kinda unfair to immediately write off the idea just because Oscar has to share his brain with Ozpin for some yet-to-be-determined amount of time. Even if we don't really know much about Oscar yet, he is his own character, after all.

Granted, out of all the options discussed, I'd personally be most satisfied with Nuts n Dolts. The idea of this coming to life onscreen at the end of the show would be delightfully hilarious for Ruby.

Don't get me wrong I like Oscar from what we've seen of him so far... I just can't help but imagine
Ozpin
giving him pointers while he's in the sack with Ruby. He's the only thing holding me back. Once he dips I'll make it my 3rd go-to Ruby pairing behind Nuts n Dolts and White Rose.

Besides, Oscar and Ruby look cute and all in those fan art pics, but let's be honest, both he and the voice in his head have a lot more chemistry with Ruby's father uncle more than her... just sayin'...

Geist-

Whenever I think of what's happening with Ozpin/Oscar, it's not Oscar taking over. It seems pretty obvious that Ozpin is an ancient being just like Salem and that probably means that eventually Oscar will absorb enough of Ozpin's memories that he's going to be mentally older than any other character on the show
and probably won't even be Oscar anymore.

Anyway, next episode page is up:
http://roosterteeth.com/episode/rwby-volume-5-2-3-ghi4hth4 Volume 5 Chapter 2: Dread in the Air

Probably a Weiss focused episode then.

Whenever I think of what's happening with Ozpin/Oscar, it's not Oscar taking over. It seems pretty obvious that Ozpin is an ancient being just like Salem and that probably means that eventually Oscar will absorb enough of Ozpin's memories that he's going to be mentally older than any other character on the show
and probably won't even be Oscar anymore.

Anyway, next episode page is up:
http://roosterteeth.com/episode/rwby-volume-5-2-3-ghi4hth4 Volume 5 Chapter 2: Dread in the Air

Probably a Weiss focused episode then.

Potentially Weiss, potentially that shot from the trailer where we see those flying insect Grimm chasing an airship. It's definitely a battle though, since if you click on Shows drop-down, right underneath this is an upcoming CRWBY episode title 'Anima Skies Fight'. I wonder what that means...

SDBurton

Tfw you want to put the latest intro song on repeat but you're afraid of growing tired of it after the 50th time it's played. Saturday can't come soon enough.

Tfw you want to put the latest intro song on repeat but you're afraid of growing tired of it after the 50th time it's played. Saturday can't come soon enough.

Absolutely none of the soundtracks thus far have been one-hit-wonders. Literally scanning through the albums, there is at least 3 on each of them that will likely not drop out of my essentials playlist anytime soon, if ever. And then another 2 or 3 that will get a great response if they pop up on me.

My opinion? Rock the fuck out to it, you'll come across a few more to mix it up by the time episode 12 goes live.

SDBurton

Absolutely none of the soundtracks thus far have been one-hit-wonders. Literally scanning through the albums, there is at least 3 on each of them that will likely not drop out of my essentials playlist anytime soon, if ever. And then another 2 or 3 that will get a great response if they pop up on me.

My opinion? Rock the fuck out to it, you'll come across a few more to mix it up by the time episode 12 goes live.

You're right, and hopefully by that time we will have the full track of "Smile". For some reason I feel like this song will appear in the show when
Yang encounters Adam again
. I would go nuts if that was the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom