• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Meh, they should get rid of the height limit as well. What do the chicks have to be max 5'2?
Raise it to 5' 8" I say!

E0W0o.jpg

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Also, I just want to point out that Womens MMA will likely die a slow death in Bellator rather than Japan.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
yacobod said:
OP updates:

UFC theme song added
Current UFC champions
Chael Sonnen added to personalities
Women's MMA
GafMMA |OT1| Hall of Fame
Fucking hilarious how she is the Beautiful Chandella.

As much as I like Face the Pain, it's time to end this suffering. Remember the gladiator will be ripped IN-TO PIECES! in 2 months. Perhaps you should take a minute to yourself to find a video with the gladiator, so we will Never Forget his many sacrifices.

Maybe you should list where people can watch UFC too... Spike, Fox, PPV, FX, Sky?

Maybe they should just have a TUF season for a new ring girl. The house stuff and the fights would probably better than some of the seasons we have had. I would watch it.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
JakOfTheShadows said:
Maybe they should just have a TUF season for a new ring girl. The house stuff and the fights would probably better than some of the seasons we have had. I would watch it.
I mentioned this in a previous thread. Find Brittney's replacement. It'd be the highest ratings for a TUF show ever. The Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders have a show, why can't we get one for a more important role than that?

Heel

yacobod said:
No they aren't. I watched that OneFC stream on sherdog this morning. MMA outside of UFC and Strikeforce is pretty horrible, it's maybe a step above women's mma. It's a pretty big blanket statement, but its true.

UFC = filet mignon
MMA outside the MMA = $2.00 waffle house steak

Disagree completely. There's fighters putting on amazing performances outside of the UFC all the time. If they're noticed and signed by the UFC, it magically makes them worthy of viewing? Future UFC champions are fighting outside of the UFC as we speak.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Eggo said:
I mentioned this in a previous thread. Find Brittney's replacement. It'd be the highest ratings for a TUF show ever. The Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders have a show, why can't we get one for a more important role than that?
Not possible.

tvhoS.jpg

sien916 said:
Disagree completely. There's fighters putting on amazing performances outside of the UFC all the time. If they're noticed and signed by the UFC, it magically makes them worthy of viewing? Future UFC champions are fighting outside of the UFC as we speak.
The problem is that the odds are extremely low that the possible future champ out there will be facing off against another possible future champ. They will just be tearing up nobodies until they get picked up and get some real competition. Most of the exciting fights outside of the UFC for me are usual between similarly unskilled guys, because most of the fighters with real potential will not be that challenged. There are always exceptions though, but those you will usually hear about on the net and can watch the replays of rather than wasting time watching a whole card.

DominoKid

Eggo said:

THIS THIS THIS THIS

Heel

Maklershed said:
Sounds like a steak house. Hey wait a minute .. a steak house with a fight cage in the center. Who wants in on this business with me?

29frotsgcoj.gif

Can we call it the steakagon?

Marcus Davis vs Chuck O'Neil? Seriously? I liked Chuck on TUF and I rooted for him but Marcus is way out of his league. He's gonna be demolished.

That picture of Britney makes my heart skip a beat.

Heel

JakOfTheShadows said:
The problem is that the odds are extremely low that the possible future champ out there will be facing off against another possible future champ. They will just be tearing up nobodies until they get picked up and get some real competition. Most of the exciting fights outside of the UFC for me are usual between similarly unskilled guys, because most of the fighters with real potential will not be that challenged. There are always exceptions though, but those you will usually hear about on the net and can watch the replays of rather than wasting time watching a whole card.

I agree with you on a lot of this. You get great fights if it's even matchmaking, regardless of skill level. You get highlight KO's and subs from future stars when they aren't fighting anyone on their level. I don't care what anyone says, M-1 cards are enjoyable as fuck.

Another element in all of this is you're less likely to see fighters play it safe or fight scared. They're looking to stand out from the pack and be noticed, not fearing their UFC career will be over if they lose one more time.

After watching for so long one of the things I enjoy about the sport now is seeing fighters rise from the bottom. Other promotions, UFC undercards, you name it. It's great to watch in my opinion.

sien916 said:
I agree with you on a lot of this. You get great fights if it's even matchmaking, regardless of skill level. You get highlight KO's and subs from future stars when they aren't fighting anyone on their level. I don't care what anyone says, M-1 cards are enjoyable as fuck.

Another element in all of this is you're less likely to see fighters play it safe or fight scared. They're looking to stand out from the pack and be noticed, not fearing their UFC career will be over if they lose one more time.

After watching for so long one of the things I enjoy about the sport now is seeing fighters rise from the bottom. Other promotions, UFC undercards, you name it. It's great to watch in my opinion.
You make some great points. I do wish I had more time to watch all of the other cards more often. The one thing I miss most is tournaments though, and I would love to see UFC adopt one at some point.

As for your talk about about seeing fighters rise, I always thought the UFC should have kept the WEC around as a farm league to build and bring up talent. I thought it would be great for that as a network/cable TV promotion, and get people to buy move PPVs to see guys they watched on come up through the TV league. This would be better than TUF for me.

Heel

JakOfTheShadows said:
You make some great points. I do wish I had more time to watch all of the other cards more often. The one thing I miss most is tournaments though, and which I would love to see UFC adopt one at some point.

As for your talk about about seeing fighters rise, I always thought the UFC should have kept the WEC around as a farm league to build and bring up talent. I thought it would be great for that as a network/cable TV promotion, and get people to buy move PPVs to see guys they watched on come up through the TV league. This would better than TUF for me.

There's rumors of Zuffa turning Strikeforce into a regional feeder/farm league in the long term. I guess it's already turned into that if you think about it. I'd like to see it stick around.

It's no fluke that a lot of these regional shows have been around for years and years without TV deals. They put on great fights and people come back to see it. Sure, not every fight is going to be amazing. Same could be said for the UFC though.

MMA has come a long way and the playing field is a lot more even than people think. Sloppy barroom brawl MMA is going the way of the dodo. You can see great fights in a lot of different places.

sien916 said:
There's rumors of Zuffa turning Strikeforce into a regional feeder/farm league in the long term. I guess it's already turned into that if you think about it. I'd like to see it stick around.

It's no fluke that a lot of these regional shows have been around for years and years without TV deals. They put on great fights and people come back to see it. Sure, not every fight is going to be amazing. Same could be said for the UFC though.

MMA has come a long way and the playing field is a lot more even than people think. Sloppy barroom brawl MMA is going the way of the dodo. You can see great fights in a lot of different places.
I used to go to quite a few local shows back when I lived in Ohio, mostly because a co-worker of mine fought. I was surprised that it was getting to be where there was almost one every weekend if you were willing to travel a small distance. The ones the guy I know fought in were mostly put on by NAAFS. I moved down to Raleigh, NC a year ago for a job, and this reminds me that I haven't looked at all to see what local shows they have around here.

Heel

JakOfTheShadows said:
I used to go to quite a few local shows back when I lived in Ohio, mostly because a co-worker of mine fought. I was surprised that it was getting to be where there was almost one every weekend if you were willing to travel a small distance. The ones the guy I know fought in were mostly put on by NAAFS. I moved down to Raleigh, NC a year ago for a job, and this reminds me that I haven't looked at all to see what local shows they have around here.

The only NC show I've heard about is Black Eye Promotions. Marloes Coenen says she signed with them after being cut by Strikeforce.

We've got it pretty good in California as far as regional shows go. Can't complain!

Jake.

yacobod said:
Dream is not Pride's replacement. That's a huge insult to PrideFC. Let it go man. Pride died 5 years ago, it's not healthy. I got my Pride dvds, but this is a new era. Move on with your life.

i had replacement with quotations for a reason.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Chamber said:
Is this like how Shane Carwin was listed at 6'5" originally?

IIRC both Carwin and Mir were listed as both being 6'5" and 265lbs (emphasis on "exactly 265lbs" and "this is a new breed of heavyweight!") at UFC 111.

sien916 said:
29frotsgcoj.gif

Can we call it the steakagon?

There is an establishment up her called the Octagon Steakhouse.......but as far as I know no UFC fighters go there :p

Which reminds me, should we all post pics we have with UFC fighters in this thread? I have pics with Liddel, Joe Lauzon, Shogun, Diego Sanchez

yacobod

Banned
Jake. said:
not nuts, just deluded idiots.

What's to hate? He was arguably the best mma fighter in the world from 2003 to 2008. He beat all of Pride's top heavyweights of his era besides Josh Barnett, who declined fights with Fedor btw. During that time, he was usually the consensus number 1 ranked fighter on most media pound for pound rankings as well, so he wasn't just hyped up by internet fanboys. His decline can be attributed to many things, that I won't really get into here. This diminishing of Fedor's career is rather typical of the fickle mma fanboys. Fighters are only as good as their last fight, if you lose 1 or 2 fights all of a sudden you were never any good and overhyped. Do his past 3 losses diminish his career? Not at all. It's the same way that Chuck Liddell's last 4 knockout losses do not diminish his career. The same way, Chuck was arguably the best LHW fighter in the world during mma's boom.

I attribute this mostly to ppl who either started watching mma with TUF, or guys who just follow Mens Fitness cover models who also happen to fight.

Heel

yacobod said:
What's to hate? He was arguably the best mma fighter in the world from 2003 to 2008. He beat all of Pride's top heavyweights of his era besides Josh Barnett, who declined fights with Fedor btw. During that time, he was usually the consensus number 1 ranked fighter on most media pound for pound rankings as well, so he wasn't just hyped up by internet fanboys. His decline can be attributed to many things, that I won't really get into here. This diminishing of Fedor's career is rather typical of the fickle mma fanboys. Fighters are only as good as their last fight, if you lose 1 or 2 fights all of a sudden you were never any good and overhyped. Do his past 3 losses diminish his career? Not at all. It's the same way that Chuck Liddell's last 4 knockout losses do not diminish his career. The same way, Chuck was arguably the best LHW fighter in the world during mma's boom.

I attribute this mostly to ppl who either started watching mma with TUF, or guys who just follow Mens Fitness cover models who also happen to fight.

Well said. I figure most people who hate on Fedor didn't witness his reign or understand the dynamics of the era.

I'm still waiting on a valid answer from the last thread, so I'll ask again:

If Fedor wasn't the best heavyweight, who was?

If Fedor isn't the best heavyweight of all time, who is?

Who did it better than Fedor?

I'll save you guys some time and say no amount of Sherdog fight database combing will give you a strong argument.

awesome OT yaco, I approve.

also, Fox has already started promoting UFC (yes UFC as in the sport, wtf is MMA, Vitor's son trains UFC ffs) during their MLB games: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoKLU-kQPag&feature=player_embedded

And people retroactively saying Fedor was never that good in the grand scheme of things even while PRIDE was going on, fuck off. PRIDE was the place for heavyweights in MMA while the UFC's had a couple top HWs and Dana will even admit that the UFC's HW division back then was horrible. Yeah PRIDE gave Fedor a few freakshow fights which probably allowed him to keep that undefeated record, but he also defeated the best of the best in the HW division, and then came to Affliction to defeat the two top guys from that era who were in the UFC. The division has gotten better and has passed him by, but that doesn't change his place in history.

sien916 said:
Well said. I figure most people who hate on Fedor didn't witness his reign or understand the dynamics of the era.

I'm still waiting on a valid answer from the last thread, so I'll ask again:

If Fedor wasn't the best heavyweight, who was?

If Fedor isn't the best heavyweight of all time, who is?

Who did it better than Fedor?

I'll save you guys some time and say no amount of Sherdog fight database combing will give you a strong argument.

During their peaks, Tim Sylvia>>Fedor

Ninja Scooter said:
During their peaks, Tim Sylvia>>Fedor
haha fuck no. Sylvia was at his peak in a shitty UFC heavyweight division. Fedor had stiffer competition in PRIDE than Sylvia did in the UFC.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
yacobod said:

omd82.jpg

Exactly what I was saying in the last thread when the GOAT conversation came up. Most MMA fans don't have the perspective to even discuss the topic. Can't help but wonder what some of these people thought about Jordan on the Wizards or Jerry Rice on the Seahawks.

Heel

Chamber said:
Exactly what I was saying in the last thread when the GOAT conversation came up. Most MMA fans don't have the perspective to even discuss the topic. Can't help but wonder what some of these people thought about Jordan on the Wizards or Jerry Rice on the Seahawks.

5odn3arp99.gif

To anyone who wasn't around and would like to gain some perspective, try watching the history of Pride and UFC together in chronological order, view historical rankings and see what each match-up meant along the way, find out why Fedor was paired against Japanese pro wrestlers, etc. Maybe you'll understand why people defending Fedor don't have to be eccentric fanboys, they can be plain longtime MMA fans annoyed by your delusions.

dream

I'm okay with saying Fedor was the best heavyweight from 2002-2005 as long as we admit he lost interest in fighting top competition after beating Mirko.

TheNatural

My Member!
Chamber said:
omd82.jpg

Dude, Jordan and Rice were in their 40's when they wound up with those teams. And in Rice's case, well into his 40's. And both guys did some pretty ridiculous stuff late into their careers, Rice was 40 with the Raiders and Jordan 40 with the Wizards and putting up big numbers.

Fedor? He's 34. He just LOST to a 41 year old former Welterweight/Middleweight fighting at Heavyweight, who was in PRIDE as well. He hasn't had a meaningful win in SEVEN years. He's fought tomato can washed up individuals since beating Cro Cop SEVEN years ago. None of his opponents over the past 7 years fight in a major organization anymore, after losing on a consistent basis. His career decline hasn't been some overnight thing. And BTW, a guy by the name of Anderson Silva who just destroyed yet another opponent last week is 36 years old.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
You can't really say Fighter X's age is equal to Fighter Y's age, even if they're the same.

I remember seeing an analysis a few years ago comparing quality of UFC and Pride events chronologically. Can't remember where I saw it now.

Top Bottom