• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Into the Badlands |S2| Live Action Anime w/ Chi Warrior Megazord | Sundays on AMC

That black clipper vs Sonny fight was good, but they overused the slow-mo. The Sonny scenes feel like they're directed by someone else. The dialogue is more engaging and even the shots are more interesting, for instance before the fight began you had the camera on the sword moving down over to Sonny's right side of the face taking up the end of the screen. You don't see shots like that in the other stories that convey the tension as well. The MK parts are decent, but not as good, and the others I just find mostly boring.

That promoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Baron fight!
yasssssssssssssssss

This show is honestly like a comic book/anime but live action and done well enough to maintain the cheese/campyness of it but still done with good production values.

That black clipper vs Sonny fight was good, but they overused the slow-mo. The Sonny scenes feel like they're directed by someone else. The dialogue is more engaging and even the shots are more interesting, for instance before the fight began you had the camera on the sword moving down over to Sonny's right side of the face taking up the end of the screen. The MK parts are decent, but not as good, and the others I just find mostly boring.
all depends on the actors. Daniel Wu is good. Also why Quinn scenes are so engaging. Their acting is on point. MK has questionable acting.

^Actually I was bored with Quinn.

Also, that ending with Sonny and the black clipper felt super familiar to me, like it was pulled straight from something else I've watched. Those lines, him refusing to kill, the clipper getting up to attack while Sonny had his back turned. I know I've seen that shit before.

TheFlow

Banned
Damn next ep looks lit
Yea that preview is probably the most hype preview when it comes to this show

Moon was a badass clipper but his fight was underwhelming due to the coney dialog and overuse of slowmo.

He was clearly stronger so why not use that more to show his advantage over sunny. But damn I wonder who could beat sunny in a fair match!?

Yea that preview is probably the most hype preview when it comes to this show

Moon was a badass clipper but his fight was underwhelming due to the coney dialog and overuse of slowmo.

He was clearly stronger so why not use that more to show his advantage over sunny. But damn I wonder who could beat sunny in a fair match!?

I think if they had fought outside there would have been a little more of that.

This show is honestly like a comic book/anime but live action and done well enough to maintain the cheese/campyness of it but still done with good production values.

Yeah I'm loving it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I also think theyre overdoing the slo-mo this season. Fights should be quick and brutal for the most part

They're doing the slow-mo to hide most of the wirework. Sunny is able to jump some pretty high jumps. So to hide the wires for these superhuman jumps, they do the slow-mo to erase them easy on a TV budget, I guess.

^Oh really? I would think slow-mo would give you more time to see those wires, but hey I only had two years or filmmaking experience on the college level and never did action, you probably have more experience than me.
This show is bloody awesome, I highly recommend it!

Oh, you're from England?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
^Oh really? I would think slow-mo would give you more time to see those wires, but hey I only had two years or filmmaking experience on the college level and never did action, you probably have more experience than me.

It would. But going back through frame-by-frame is probably cheaper on slow-motion (for the what... 5-20 seconds they do these cuts?) than normal speed film.

Vale already peeping her escape, but getting sloppy with leaving the bad X-Rays around.

Sunny was too quick for Nathaniel, nice verticality in their sword fight.

Cung Lee draining dudes of that dark hadou.

I can already tell The Widow is about to put in work next episode.

Started watching this (s1, e4) I have an important question...does MK become more sufferable? He's an annoying twat and it's made more annoying and magnified by the fact he can't act for shit.

Once again I'm just not feeling it with the fight choreography this season. I can deal with a little wire work, but they are overdoing it here, along with all the slow motion. The camera seems too close, and doesn't track the action well; the very first fight of the first episode from last season has trumped everything shown so far. I want more brutal hand to hand, cqc combat like the first season.

Once again I'm just not feeling it with the fight choreography this season. I can deal with a little wire work, but they are overdoing it here, along with all the slow motion. The camera seems too close, and doesn't track the action well; the very first fight of the first episode from last season has trumped everything shown so far. I want more brutal hand to hand, cqc combat like the first season.

I agree, there are also too many cuts.

DominoKid

Kinda wish they kept Nathaniel around but maybe he just takes a vow to not never pickup a blade again or something.

Also watching him get his hand chopped off was great.

I also didn't like how the fight was edited but that might just be me being super picky after watching a Berserk review on youtube where they trashed how poorly the fights are shot in the new series.

Can't wait to see The Widow flex next week.

harSon

Banned
Kinda wish they kept Nathaniel around but maybe he just takes a vow to not never pickup a blade again or something.

I also didn't like how the fight was edited but that might just be me being super picky after watching a Berserk review on youtube where they trashed how poorly the fights are shot in the new series.

Considering they're so heavily influenced by Kung Fu films, they could always have him come back as a nod to the One-Armed Swordsman.

TheFlow

Banned

not just you. this fight was a step down from the last two episodes.

they went ham on the slow mo.

xezuru

As someone who grew up with Jackie Chan and generally finds string-fu a decently large con, it was pretty apparent from that fight they were heavily going for style over substance in that scenario. Which is surprising because it "seemed" like Nathaniel's actor was doing fine and dandy in the introductory fight but he felt noticeably slow and cumbersome in the latter one.

As someone who grew up with Jackie Chan and generally finds string-fu a decently large con, it was pretty apparent from that fight they were heavily going for style over substance in that scenario. Which is surprising because it "seemed" like Nathaniel's actor was doing fine and dandy in the introductory fight but he felt noticeably slow and cumbersome in the latter one.

Yeah, that's why I think an outside battle would have shown off his skills better rather than the close quarters one they had. It felt too enclosed for Nathaniel to really unload like in the opening fight of the episode. Though maybe that was the point in how Sunny wins relatively cleanly. The location being to his advantage.

I agree though, I loved the first fight of the episode.

I'm looking forward to next episode with The Widow, her last fight slaughtering that large force was really good.

I agree, there are also too many cuts.

Yes to both. Way too many cuts in that fight, and too many weird angles from far away. They may be going for style, but it's not a style that's working. It's a shame because it seemed like this fight had the potential for something special.

Considering the age of the cars in the last scene, the wheelchair, and primitive tech of the x-ray machine, it seems like whatever happened in this world happened in the mid-60's. Like maybe the Cuban Missile Crisis turned into nuclear war. The one standout is the weird torture room, which looked pretty high-tech. Maybe the world outside of the badlands actually has some semblance of civilization and continued on, like the city where MK's mother supposedly is from.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I feel like Daniel Wu is one of those people who looks best with a buzz cut.

Agreed. He also looks much better clean shaven.

She going to fuck up her ankles with those heels and that gravel

Did you see how sharp those heels were? She's totally going to kill someone with them at some point.

Considering they're so heavily influenced by Kung Fu films, they could always have him come back as a nod to the One-Armed Swordsman.

I don't believe for a second that Nathaniel is dead.

Top Bottom