• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coke Zero Is Dead. Long Live 'Coca-Cola No Sugar'

ryseing

Vanilla Coke Zero is godtier. It's what I always get from the Freestyle machines. You can pry it from my dead hands.

hirokazu

It already exists

2014-06-27-coca-cola-attempts-to-go-healthy-with-stevia-sweetened-coke-life-inline.jpg

This still has a fair amount of sugar as well, doe
Coke Life was also reformulated and renamed Coke with Stevia in Australia.

Treat pop the way it's really meant - an occasional treat, not so much as something to drink instead of water at every opportunity and you won't have to juggle diet or regular.
Yep, this is exactly how soft drinks are supposed to be treated in a balanced diet.

Piichan

Banned
What studies has Coca-Cola provided that proves their mixture of soda and sprinkle of fiber lead to weight loss? It's marketing designed to mislead people into buying their product. It is not done to improve the product.
I could only find something on their Japanese page:
http://www.cocacola.jp/spn/plus/

Now, it's not quite clear under what circumstances they took this test, so I am not denying this might be unrepresentative. Also, I am not denying Coca Cola wants a piece of the tokuho hype in Japan.
However, it's been officially acknowledged by the agency that allows for drinks with these kinds of effects, so I am on the side that believes it does have an effect, even if it is minor.

Whales

Banned
its been so long since I drank a regular coke that I dont even remember how it tastes like

coke zero was good

coke zero actually tastes very close to real coke though, why would they kill it? this is pretty dumb

Because they found something that tastes closer, and because they eventually want to kill regular coke and just have one drink. Unlike big tobacco, coke can see the writing on the wall and knows they have to adapt to the times where people aren't as receptive of sugar in everything.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
As long as Diet Coke survives, I don't care.

What is this nonsense? Diet Coke taste significantly better than Coke and Coke Zero. It's not even a competition really.
I thought I was the only one ;_;

New002

lol

I cut out all caffeinated soda so I haven't had any Zero in weeks.... I miss it. There is no better canned soda imho. Caffeine free Diet Coke sucks. Naturally the Dr Pepper and Pepsi alternatives are great.

There's caffeine free coke zero. Not as good, but it's there.

Piichan

Banned
It's kinda sad Coke Zero was only a thing because men associated diet drinks with women.

I'd like to think it's because Coke Zero just tastes way better than Diet Coke. Sure, there was this weird Zero is for Dudes marketing going on, but Diet Coke/Coke Light has been phased out in a lot of regions for a reason.

Goo

Coke Zero is my favorite diet soda flavor. I hope the replacement isn't some low calorie Splenda flavored poison.

Has no one here tried Diet Coke with Splenda? It adds legit flavor to Diet Coke and makes it a nectar of the gods. They sell it with Splenda already included---I'm not talking about adding it separately.
I mentioned it before but it's so damn good I feel like mentioning it again.

Iksenpets

Banned
Coke Zero honestly seemed like one of the bigger marketing successes in recent years? It seemed like it virtually killed Diet Coke, and took a significant bite out of regular Coke too. What a weird decision.

Donos

Wtf, just got accustomed to coke zero and more and more people around me drink it and you can get it everywhere (germany) .lite/diet is dead. Wtf at the name "no sugar" in comparison to "zero"?

Coke Lite /diet was horrible but zero is close enough to the OG taste.

Coke Zero honestly seemed like one of the bigger marketing successes in recent years? It seemed like it virtually killed Diet Coke, and took a significant bite out of regular Coke too. What a weird decision.

Yep. My view as well.

EYEL1NER

I'll be sad to see Vanilla Coke Zero go away. This just seems like a dumb move though, for reasons like Coke Zero being popular, the reasons people pointed out surrounding the name (Did anyone seriously put any thought into trying to ask for one of these and how dumb it will sound to say to a waitress "Yes, I'd like a Coca-Cola No Sugar please"), and then also how the 'Zero' branding crosses over to many of their other drinks like Sprite Zero and Pibb Zero and now it will seem odd that there is no equivalent Coke product.
Barely any resteraunts around here have Coke Zero though, which is always irritating because I don't quite care for Diet Coke, especially fountain drink Diet Coke. Oh well, Diet Coke it is from now on.
This shit's gonna be the Wii U of Coke products.

Diet Coke is one of those things that tastes like a metal spoon dissolved in battery acid until you drink about 12 oz of it, and then the next thing you realize you've been drinking it for 20 years

Gitaroo

Coke plus that I tried when I was in Japan was the best, its coke with zero sweetener + added fibre that is suppose to help you burn calories so they claim...

Now y'all know how it feels when Vanilla Coke got discontinued in Canada back in the early 2000s.

They finally brought it back last fall after about fifteen years.

SxP

Maybe someone at Coca-Cola finally tasted a Zero and realized it tastes like chemical waste. So any improvement will be welcome. They can't make it any more disgusting.

Daniel R

Coke Zero is so much better than Diet Coke.
I really hope Coke No Sugar is gonna be a good replacement for Coke Zero because it's the only soft drink I ....drink.

hirokazu

I could only find something on their Japanese page:
http://www.cocacola.jp/spn/plus/

Now, it's not quite clear under what circumstances they took this test, so I am not denying this might be unrepresentative. Also, I am not denying Coca Cola wants a piece of the tokuho hype in Japan.
However, it's been officially acknowledged by the agency that allows for drinks with these kinds of effects, so I am on the side that believes it does have an effect, even if it is minor.
That chart compares Coca-Cola Plus with an unspecified cola drink that does not contain dextrin. I assume the comparison drink contains sugar too.

If it has health benefits, why not compare Coca-Cola Plus to a more appropriate control such as water instead.

ArchAngel

I hated zero the first time I tried it. 2 years later we only had a zero here left after a party and I was thirsty so I drank it. Now it's the only soda I drink and I LOVE it. I would be heartbroken if it's gone one day.

Li Kao

Ok, slow down people. As a Zero newcomer, what the fuck are some posters talking about when they say it nearly killed them or had a bad effect on their health ?
It's a question that was floating in my mind these days, can you drink a lot of this stuff without side effect ? Seing the composition I would have thought it would only be bad if you drink tons of it, like water is.
Are there really issues I don't know about ?

hirokazu

Ok, slow down people. As a Zero newcomer, what the fuck are some posters talking about when they say it nearly killed them or had a bad effect on their health ?
It's a question that was floating in my mind these days, can you drink a lot of this stuff without side effect ? Seing the composition I would have thought it would only be bad if you drink tons of it, like water is.
Are there really issues I don't know about ?
It won't kill you, but uh, what's wrong with just drinking it occasionally rather than as a water replacement?

I wish they could have invented all of this sugar free stuff a decade or two ago so I could have skipped that whole teen obesity thing I went through. Also Coke Zero is like Coke with dish water in it. I hope they don't kill off Coke with sugar because some of us can drink that shit responsibly (now lol).

Li Kao

It won't kill you, but uh, what's wrong with just drinking it occasionally rather than as a water replacement?

In my mind, nothing, but I'm not a Coke addict so I drink maybe one zero every 2/3 days. Still, I am curious about any bad effects that could occur with a larger consumption.

Top Bottom