• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JulAug17| Most Definitely the Work of an Enemy Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna be honest with you guys. Most of the stuff I've heard about later Super sounds uninteresting and lazy.

Toei's no stranger to lazy writing, but by god, some of it is basically fanservice (not the PLOT kind).

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
What does it even mean to become "stronger" in the DBZ universe?

What actually changes about the characters that indicate they're more powerful aside from their hair color or a different form?

What makes one character's beam more powerful than another's?

In all reality, DBZ tried to have a normal power scale. Goku gets older and more toned as time goes on, muscles gets stronger due to resistance training and learning to make a body resist extreme conditions as the new norm.

Then surround all the new elements of training with some new spectacle; lightning crackling around energy, a larger rin, err, ki glow, different colors, rocks floating and exploding, etc.

The biggest problem is you can only take that so far. There's only so many times we'll believe that speed has now reached a point where your friends can't follow you. They peaked at like... the Cell Saga, and then the displays of how powerful a fighter was, are just bigger versions of the same signs. Everything followed a check list, and we're too wise to fall for the suggested hype... "WOW, A KI BLAST VOLLEY! THAT'LL KILL THEM FOR SURE!"

In a way, I still prefer the admittance of training in DBZ, to the lack of any real training at all in something like One Piece, though. More often than not, new stuff just appears because "I've been through things, and thought this up!". At first it feels cool that they skipped the slow, boring training arcs. But after a while, it feels like they can't think of any cool ways to teach the crazy they come up with, so they don't even try.

There are so many new shonen manga that are taking the themes and ideas of the original Dragon Ball and doing it better. Super feels redundant if it's still relying on the same old tropes.

Morlas

Eh I disagree they're taking a base and doing something different with it dragon ball actually still feels fairly unique to me...also I just love the cast so much

Mizerman

I'm glad Jump series that followed didn't rely solely on punches and beams as powers
Devil Fruits, Stands, Nen, Quirks, allowing for more versatile techniques and less "power level" horseshit.
Except Gold Experience Requiem, that's too bullshit

Even Araki realized that he went too far.

Eh I disagree they're taking a base and doing something different with it dragon ball actually still feels fairly unique to me...also I just love the cast so much

Most unique things are created by taking a base from various sources of inspiration.
Imagine how different Dragon Ball would have been if Toriyama wasn't inspired by Journey to the West and martial arts films.

Morlas

Most unique things are created by taking a base from various sources of inspiration.
Imagine how different Dragon Ball would have been if Toriyama wasn't inspired by Journey to the West and martial arts films.
True and maybe its my nostalgia goggles but the characters and action feel just as relevant to me now as they did when I was a kid

I've decided to reject most of my nostalgic feelings.
Not that I ever had an ounce of that for DBZ despite watching a good bit of it back then, but Dragon Ball is where it's at and explains why or how it became so popular

Xe4

Banned
The first time I really watched any Dragon Ball (aside from a few times I saw it on Saturday mornings) was on Toonami a few months back. So I have zero nostalgia for the show.

The characters are ok (I've seen better, but I've seen a lot worse too). Everything else does absolutely nothing for me though, especially the fights. Aside from Tokyo Ghoul and filler Naruto, Super is probably my least favorite show on the block. Kai is a bit better but not much, to the point of me not watching episodes if I miss them.

I'm probably the least hyped for Dragon Ball in general out of anyone. I can think of a bunch of shows I'd rather have on the block. Though shonen in general I'm pretty picky about.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I think the biggest issue is, when we have TWO Dragon Ball shows in a row, you notice the flaws & tropes so much more because both shows just feel so similar at times.

If we only had Super, I think I'd be less harsh on the series as a whole, but when we have two shows both dealing with dragged out, uninteresting, rehashed fights, it just makes each show's flaws stand out even more.

I just miss the enjoyment I experienced when I saw Battle of Gods, maybe because that was the first true DBZ thing I ever actually saw, I got my hopes up.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'm gonna be honest with you guys. Most of the stuff I've heard about later Super sounds uninteresting and lazy.

Toei's no stranger to lazy writing, but by god, some of it is basically fanservice (not the PLOT kind).

Ehhh... I think it still exceeds my expectations of a DBZ revival this many years later. I guess it depends on how much you like seeing Toriyama characters doing Toriyama things, though. His comedy is always pretty fun, his art style is still unique and well fleshed out, and I've seen his characters grow outside of their golden pre/early-teen years that other shows hard stop after.

I think so too. DBZ's cast of long-developed characters with Toriyama's style still feels so much better to me than the cast of HxH, for example. If I was younger, this might not be true, as I might identify with them more. But it's nice to have a Japanese battle show with older characters that aren't constantly talking about how over the hill they are, because they're (gasp!) over 25, or even 15, years old.

There's just a nice size and application to DBZ's cast. My little sister started to watch the show back in the day, because she thought Fat Buu was cute, and it was cool to see a character she knew we watched as a boy (Goku), now older, raising a son, and in a full family. It's one of the rare cases where it legit feels like all these years later, these characters have know and been around each other for as long as I've been watching them over the years.

No show / manga that's cropped up in the last 5 years, with characters who've been playing at events that could have all happened in a few months time, can easily match that feeling. It's like comparing an old childhood friend you've kept in contact with, to someone you met at a bar a few times.

I've gotten more out of playing the video game adaptations of DBZ than from watching/reading DBZ itself

That's me with One Piece, lol. I actually enjoy how DBZ frames it's events over and over, though. Similar to how I liked learning a lot of Gundam through it's various games. No matter how many times I see Piccolo take that blast for Gohan during the Vegeta and Nappa battle, it's still a solid moment.

I think the biggest issue is, when we have TWO Dragon Ball shows in a row, you notice the flaws & tropes so much more because both shows just feel so similar at times.

If we only had Super, I think I'd be less harsh on the series as a whole, but when we have two shows both dealing with dragged out, uninteresting, rehashed fights, it just makes each show's flaws stand out even more.

I just miss the enjoyment I experienced when I saw Battle of Gods, maybe because that was the first true DBZ thing I ever actually saw, I got my hopes up.

Yeah, if the slow buildup gets to you, it's probably insufferable. It doesn't really bother me, though. I feel like DBZ accepted what it is years ago, and it doesn't try and pretend it's better than those things. It's worse aspects are now being poked at by it's English voice cast in subtle ways, the JP writers and production staff is a set of obvious old talent and fans who grew with the show, and it's like we're all in on the weak and strong points.

And I generally watch JP super right before or after Toonami, too. I like seeing how far things have come, actually. Watching Vegeta go from a well fleshed out, accepting-of-his-lot-in-life rival in the new show, to one so unstable he'd let evil take him over in the older one, just stresses the character development that much more.

cntr

Banned
To be honest, even this thread's Dragonball discussion gets a bit ridiculous.

Like, I remember when Goku said something along the lines of "Frieza? You mean Frieza Frieza?", and you were obviously meant to take it as "Seriously, Frieza's back?" since you know, that's how people would phrase that. But people in this thread went "What other Frieza would there be?" and "Wow, why's Goku gotten so stupid?" and were totally serious about it, which is like, what??

I've also noticed that the positivity for a show tends to depend heavily on the most recent episode. So, say, if the week's Super or AoT episode was good, the discussion over the following week tends to be positive with people going "I can't wait for the recap arcs to be over!", and it the episode was bad, people instead go "This series is always going to be shit, isn't it?"

So this is a really silly discussion, since it's not going to last.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Maybe Goku was thinking of Robo-Frieza.

Also, what do they mean "GOTTEN" stupid? I don't recall Goku being smart, as shown in the Cell arc.

cntr

Banned
Super tends to be more upfront about Goku's stupidity, which fits his depiction in the original and manga DBZ, but anime DBZ tended to make Goku more serious than Toriyama intended. So.

I mean, Goku's backstory is that he was dropped on the head and so didn't become an asshole like Vegeta.

The good thing about Super we're almost done with the absolute worst it has to offer. It's all uphill after ROF ends.

I just wish we didn't get pushed back like two weeks on it, so we could have finished this arc sooner.

cntr

Banned
Also, SAB CA, you might like My Hero Academia, since it does have training sections to show how people develop techniques, and the author's said that he plans to continue the series past high school into the characters as adults.

Morlas

well whether or not we agree on what's a good show as long as we're toonami bros here's my feelings about all ya'll

IWCGqdr.gif

zulux21

There are so many new shonen manga that are taking the themes and ideas of the original Dragon Ball and doing it better. Super feels redundant if it's still relying on the same old tropes.

redundant or not I will still likely have more fun watching Super in english from here on out than I will have watching the ant arc of HxH in english :p

FMA:B >>> FMA 2003
>:D

Ehhh... I think it still exceeds my expectations of a DBZ revival this many years later. I guess it depends on how much you like seeing Toriyama characters doing Toriyama things, though. His comedy is always pretty fun, his art style is still unique and well fleshed out, and I've seen his characters grow outside of their golden pre/early-teen years that other shows hard stop after.

That's what I look for in DB, so I hope the next few Super arcs can actually get me excited to see some fresh and creative takes on one of my favorite shonen properties.

I've heard some good things about the
Goku Black arc
even though the main antagonist seems eh at face value.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Also, SAB CA, you might like My Hero Academia, since it does have training sections to show how people develop techniques, and the author's said that he plans to continue the series past high school into the characters as adults.

Yeah, I keep hearing good things about it, but I'm trying to hold off until the predicted Toonami premiere. I do like what I see of it about the web. If it doesn't eventually appear on our favorite block, I think I'll have to dive in anyway.

That's what I look for in DB, so I hope the next few Super arcs can actually get me excited to see some fresh and creative takes on one of my favorite shonen properties.

I've heard some good things about the
Goku Black arc
even though the main antagonist seems eh at face value.

Depending on how they get out of this arc, I really wonder what could be next. Seems like a great way to flush a lot of moderately developed ideas instantly into the trash, and that seems a bit unlikely.

It was *that* aforementioned arc that got me to catch up with the JP broadcast, And it seeded the previous archs I still haven't seen (like the previous tourney arc) that I felt like they were actually DOING something with the brand now. I felt they'd close a few loose ends, and call it done, before everything else. Too naïve!

Basically, Super is classic DB and DBZ put together. if you didn't like that and its tropes that both shows brought then don't know what else to tell you. Dragonball doesn't do much different because it knows what it is already.

I do agree that we should've had Super after Kai, but we know the situation as to why we have both shows currently.

Besides we're just 1 fucking episode away from being done with the movie arcs. the original content Super will bring will be more interesting.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'll be honest I don't like Super because most of the designs are just uninspired. Its like they just took some random limbs and head and stuck it on a generic body. I liked Beerus and Whis but a lot of the later designs are either just stupid looking and not in the Buu way or just fucking lazy
Goku Black *eyeroll* and the female Saiyans

I'll be honest I don't like Super because most of the designs are just uninspired. Its like they just took some random limbs and head and stuck it on a generic body. I liked Beerus and Whis but a lot of the later designs are either just stupid looking and not in the Buu way or just fucking lazy
Goku Black *eyeroll* and the female Saiyans
My biggest complaint regarding the
female saiyans
are their proportions.
Caulifla's
body is too small for her head and such.

HStallion

My biggest complaint regarding the
female saiyans
are their proportions.
Caulifla's
body is too small for her head and such.

There are a variety of issues like the terrible animation and off model characters in early on but in general I just find it a very visually uninteresting show. Its bland and that's probably because I've seen Toriyama's style of art for decades now and it isn't exactly the most versatile stuff and Super has done little to expand on the motifs and styles found through out the series.

There are a variety of issues like the terrible animation and off model characters in early on but in general I just find it a very visually uninteresting show. Its bland and that's probably because I've seen Toriyama's style of art for decades now and it isn't exactly the most versatile stuff and Super has done little to expand on the motifs and styles found through out the series.
This is true.

cntr

Banned
Toriyama's style of art [...] isn't exactly the most versatile stuff
Wut.

Toriyama's style of art? No way. Toriyama's writing might have faults, but his art is impeccable.

You're probably thinking of the characters designed by Toyotaro, the guy who does the Super manga. The latest arc in Japanese Super had a lot of the characters be done by him, since Toriyama's getting old and stuff.

HStallion

Nah I've been dealing with Toriyama art since Dragon Warrior and still find it great.

Wut.

Toriyama's style of art? No way. Toriyama's writing might have faults, but his art is impeccable.

You're probably thinking of the characters designed by Toyotaro, the guy who does the Super manga. The latest arc in Japanese Super had a lot of the characters be done by him, since Toriyama's getting old and stuff.

I never said his art was bad, he's a talented guy and its iconic but I've seen it over and over and over again and Super does nothing to freshen things up. Its iconic but its by no means fresh or that interesting to me. Its been a long time since Chrono Trigger and Dragon Warrior/Quest isn't a great example as they've been riding that art style into the ground at this point.

Regiruler

I'm glad Jump series that followed didn't rely solely on punches and beams as powers
Devil Fruits, Stands, Nen, Quirks, allowing for more versatile techniques and less "power level" horseshit.
Except Gold Experience Requiem, that's too bullshit

It's fascinating to watch DBZ in regards to having already watched a bunch of shonen, and seeing where they improved from it.

OG Naruto has probably my favorite power map, even moreso than what I've seen of HxH that it stole from. HxH just dives right in a little too quickly, and it feels like the reader and the characters are going by the seat of their pants (at least during Yorknew). Gon also got a new power in the course of... a single episode? Not sure how I feel about that.

In Naruto, each power works differently, so you can think about it more directly than how two nen powers would interact if that makes any sense. Of course sometimes Naruto goes back to explaining it as chakra but that's when it falls apart (it works much better when the chakra elements aren't really explained outside of things like Byakkugan that need them).

HStallion

It's fascinating to watch DBZ in regards to having already watched a bunch of shonen, and seeing where they improved from it.

OG Naruto has probably my favorite power map, even moreso than what I've seen of HxH that it stole from. HxH just dives right in a little too quickly, and it feels like the reader and the characters are going by the seat of their pants (at least during Yorknew). Gon also got a new power in the course of... a single episode? Not sure how I feel about that.

In Naruto, each power works differently, so you can think about it more directly than how two nen powers would interact if that makes any sense. Of course sometimes Naruto goes back to explaining it as chakra but that's when it falls apart (it works much better when the chakra elements aren't really explained outside of things like Byakkugan that need them).

Too bad all that didn't matter after Kishi got into his eyeball fetish.

Wut.

Toriyama's art isn't bad per se, but it just tends to look the same a bit. I was playing DragonQuest VIII calling them DBZ characters. There's a Satan, a Gohan and a Future Trunks look a like.

You haven't seen a lot of combat Nen yet, not to mention you still don't even know what half of the Phantom Troupe can even do yet. You start seeing more abilities in Greed Island and the arc after that. It's pretty much if you base the relevance of stands on the first three stands in Stardust Crusaders.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The character creator in Dragon Quest IX might as well be the Xenoverse one.

Jokes aside, Toriyama's art is glorious.

HStallion

The character creator in Dragon Quest IX might as well be the Xenoverse one.

Jokes aside, Toriyama's art is glorious.

It just gets repetitive after decades. He's got a style and never really veers far off the path with it.

Regiruler

I don't like Toriyama's style that much. It's part of the reason I don't have any interest in Dragon Quest.
You haven't seen a lot of combat Nen yet, not to mention you still don't even know what half of the Phantom Troupe can even do yet. You start seeing more abilities in Greed Island and the arc after that. It's pretty much if you base the relevance of stands on the first three stands in Stardust Crusaders.

I'm also speaking to the general flow of introduction and power creep. It feels like power creep is going at completely different speeds at various points past nen's introduction (Heaven's arena was the most balanced in terms of pace). Then you get to yorknew and Kurapika has gone 0 to 100. From a story perspective everything makes sense, but that doesn't really change how it feels, IMO.

HStallion

I don't like Toriyama's style that much. It's part of the reason I don't have any interest in Dragon Quest.

I'm also speaking to the general flow of introduction and power creep. It feels like power creep is going at completely different speeds at various points past nen's introduction (Heaven's arena was the most balanced in terms of pace). Then you get to yorknew and Kurapika has gone 0 to 100. From a story perspective everything makes sense, but that doesn't really change how it feels, IMO.

Well you're going to hear tons of more experienced and stronger characters calling Gon and Killua "monsters" or "unbelievable talents" and stuff like that. Wing already made that comment calling them one in a million talents. A character we soon meet will describe them at age 13 as being on par to where they were in their late twenties. That said being stronger is rarely if ever what wins a fight in HxH and unlike Naruto, it doesn't undercut itself left and right with bull shit powers and silly ass pulls.

cntr

Banned
Toriyama's strength is in composition and flow, so his designs are great in context. Obviously that's not a thing in Toei's adaptation, but it's still true. (Though, yeah, admittedly he reuses stuff a lot, especially hairstyles.)

Hunter x Hunter's a bit weird sometimes, yeah. I think part of it is that it predates a lot of modern shounen (and inspired a lot of modern shounen), so it does things sometimes that now look a bit cliché or dated, like Gon and Killua being magical prodigies or the arcs changing tone so suddenly. That's the feeling I get, at least. Jojo has kind of a similar thing going on, too.

There really isn't that much power creep in HxH. Hisoka, one of the first introduced characters is still a legit threat to most characters later introduced that aren't from a very particular group of OP as all fuck people. Gon and Killua are highly adept at learning and advancing their progression in Nen, that's what makes them formidable. Kurapika...he's a special case that went way too far with his Nen restrictions and conditions. The way he went about obtaining power really isn't the best way to go about it. With Nen a stronger character can lose to a weaker character if the weaker character is adaptable and plans out their battle with the goal of beating said stronger character...within reason. If you're an "I punch shit real hard" character and if you go up against a character that knows how best to beat the shit out of tanks, but is physically weaker, but more intelligent there's a good chance "I punch shit" dude is going down...hard.

cntr

Banned
Fun fact: Ultimate Kars, despite showing up in Part 2 out of 8, is still one of the most powerful characters in all of Jojo. There's a handful of people who might be able to defeat him, and it'd still be close.

Regiruler

Fun fact: Ultimate Kars, despite showing up in Part 2 out of 8, is still one of the most powerful characters in all of Jojo. There's a handful of people who might be able to defeat him, and it'd still be close.

That reminds me: which came first, Kars or Cell?
basically Joseph got really lucky that the volcano launched Kars into space otherwise he never would have beaten him.

I still don't understand how there was enough force in the blast to launch him that high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom