• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman V Superman’ Takes A Dive With -70% Second Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

mreddie

gMr3Rva.gif

These poor people...

There is no goodwill, there never was or will ever be. I'm convinced people, critics and some Marvel fans will have hated this film even if it was mildly good. DC can never win with these people no matter what they do.

THEY WANT IT TO FAIL. THEY LOVE TO GLOAT AT ALL THINGS GOING BAD AT DC.

Heck even Dark knight trilogy which is universally acclaimed has some of these people biting their tongues. "Oh it's not a real superhero film - just a Mann film with someone dressed up as Batman".

Feel sorry for WB. The one studio who isn't afraid to take risks and back innovators like Nolan and Wachowski sisters projects no matter what. Feel this might spell the demise for them if they don't sort it out.

Bookmarked

Pop

BvS was ok but def not worth another viewing after thinking about it. Still this drop is surprising. Word of mouth killed this.

KonradLaw

Cause most people here believe that reviews mean nothing at all to box office.

Well, they don't mean all that much. It wouldn't be doing anywhere near as good as it is now if they mattered a lot. I mean, this is extremely badly reviewed movie. And it's still going to make about billion.

I think negative word of mouth was a lot more damaging here, considering the drop-off.

Knoxcore

I don't think even GAF predicted such a big drop!

Cause most people here believe that reviews mean nothing at all to box office.
In NYC, where the price of admission is $12-15, reviews and WoM matters. Why spend money on something that the general audience and critics do not like. I see these numbers as a good thing. Create a god movie and people will see it. Create a bad one and we won't.

To be fair to all the people saying its a thinking man's movie, Batman v Superman did have me do a lot of thinking. None of that thinking was positive however. A lot of that thinking was:

"who thought this part was a good idea"

"why is the editing so atrocious, they had so much time to tighten up the editing"

"why are the characters acting insanely out of character"

"why is Lois Lane so awful in this/why is she an idiot"

"why do Lois and Superman have zero chemistry"

"who thought libertarian/objectivist Superman was a good idea"

"Eisenberg's version of Luthor is insanely horrible and whoever greenlit that is a fucking idiot"

Overall I do not appreciate the choices Snyder made and would like to see it taken out of his hand.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Except you need at least one successful film to make that plan sustainable. If each film is a hit/miss gamble, you're never going to survive past the first few misses.

Marvel got here by having consistent quality, and are slowly bringing in more ambitious talent to differentiate product across the MCU (Guardians, Daredevil, Black Panther). They can afford to make riskier pictures, because they put in the work to lace a safety net.
Don't count Daredevil or Shield as part of MCU. They never reference any of the TV stuff in the movies. Might as well be separate.

not re-watchable movie and not a recommandable movie.

many of taken one for the team and reported back to friends and family; and there you go

If you happen to be a non-comics reader, what did those Knightmare sequences add to the film for you?

They were pretty long...
I didn't mind them. I took it to mean that Batman is driven by these dreams/visions which is why he is so (overly) focused on Superman's potential for evil.

I didn't really think Wonder Woman needed to be in the film, although there was nothing wrong with the sequences she was in. Removing her would have forced a more focused narrative.

I loved the part where Batman woke up from a nightmare to see Cyborg(?) trying to tell him something. That was the only hook Justice League needed.

The "critics and haters just can't handle a movie that's all deep and dark and philosophical" line has got to be one of the dumbest, most desperate arguments I've ever heard. Especially after Nolan batman got virtually universal acclaim. No one hates this movie because it's different. They hate it because it's shit. No one hates it because it's all deep and philosophical. They hate it because it's giggle-inducingly incompetent at being deep and philosophical. No one hates it because it's a sprawling, operatic epic. They hate it because it's an incoherent trainwreck.

But since I'd love to feed the defense force's paranoia, I'm your Marvel shill right here. I did want this movie to fail. I wanted it to be a disaster. I wanted it to get critically thrashed, because Snyder is a hack, Goyer is a hack, and Warner's whole plan for their me-too cinematic universe was terrible from the start. And I am so, so glad I got my wish, because this whole saga wouldn't have been half as entertaining if the movie had managed to be mediocre instead of a 50-car pile-up you just can't look away from.

Don't count Daredevil or Shield as part of MCU. They never reference any of the TV stuff in the movies. Might as well be separate.

Season 1 of Daredevil
referenced how The Avengers fight against Loki and the aliens destroyed much of Hells Kitchen.

In Jessica Jones,
a married couple tries to kill her because they feel that those with powers were dangerous after they lost someone do the Avengers climax.

KonradLaw

They' don't even feel like part of same tv universe. :D
"So, yeah..we have this evil ninja organization that will cause countless death, but it's ok, I'm Daredevil, I'm not going to take a short walk to Avengers' HQ or visit Shield office, because why would I? " :D

Very relevant. If I wanted to see something about two superheroes debating philosophically about their differences, I'd sooner watch Daredevil and Frank go at it again before ever going back to BvS.

This is true, actually. People like to bring up that "2philosophical4u" bullshit with regards to why BVS failed, but Daredevil S2 does an awesome job in actually exploring darker themes (especially during that rooftop conversation), and succeeds where BVS falls flat on its face.

Is this where we're supposed to about how great Iron Man 3 is?

TDK style only works for Batman. That's the rabbit hole that has lead to our current situation.

The Nolan films are loaded with levity.

Even Bane's "Do you feel like you're in charge?" intimidation scene gives off an "oh man, that guy just shit his pants" vibe.

Lucius and Alfred are there almost entirely to ground the story with offbeat humor and humanizing anecdotes. Irons plays the role well enough but he's given almost nothing to work with, which is a common problem for the film.

I didn't mind them. I took it to mean that Batman is driven by these dreams/visions which is why he is so (overly) focused on Superman's potential for evil.

I didn't really think Wonder Woman needed to be in the film, although there was nothing wrong with the sequences she was in. Removing her would have forced a more focused narrative.

I loved the part where Batman woke up from a nightmare to see Cyborg(?) trying to tell him something. That was the only hook Justice League needed.

This sentence alone is all that needs to be said about how soundly this movie failed at conveying needed information to non-comic readers.

What'd I miss?

There is no goodwill, there never was or will ever be. I'm convinced people, critics and some Marvel fans will have hated this film even if it was mildly good. DC can never win with these people no matter what they do.

THEY WANT IT TO FAIL. THEY LOVE TO GLOAT AT ALL THINGS GOING BAD AT DC.

Heck even Dark knight trilogy which is universally acclaimed has some of these people biting their tongues. "Oh it's not a real superhero film - just a Mann film with someone dressed up as Batman".

Feel sorry for WB. The one studio who isn't afraid to take risks and back innovators like Nolan and Wachowski sisters projects no matter what. Feel this might spell the demise for them if they don't sort it out.

Oh, just more of the same..

I'm sure they are real upset and him making a movie that has made $587,822,793 worldwide so far.

And contrary to what GAF thinks it will do extremely well on home video as well.

I highly, highly, highly doubt WB expected to make even a billion off this film considering how much negativity that was surrounding it since the first trailer.

Amazing fan fiction, better than BvS already.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Season 1 of Daredevil
referenced how The Avengers fight against Loki and the aliens destroyed much of Hells Kitchen.

In Jessica Jones,
a married couple tries to kill her because they feel that those with powers were dangerous after they lost someone do the Avengers climax.
Not what I said. I said the movies don't reference TV.

They're literally in the same universe. And are amongst the highest quality superhero content being put out right now. The Netflix Marvel shows wouldn't have happened had Marvel not 'played it safe' with their early MCU flicks.

That's a completely arbitrary definition, and doesn't matter in the least. Should Guardians be considered a lesser MCU film, since the events of that movie weren't absolutely core to the other MCU storylines?

The Nolan films are loaded with levity.

Even Bane's "Do you feel like you're in charge?" intimidation scene gives off an "oh man, that guy just shit his pants" vibe.

Lucius and Alfred are there almost entirely to ground the story with offbeat humor and humanizing anecdotes. Irons plays the role well enough but he's given almost nothing to work with, which is a common problem for the film.

People are quick to forget how many jokes Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman dropped in those movies.

"So, yeah..we have this evil ninja organization that will cause countless death, but it's ok, I'm Daredevil, I'm not going to take a short walk to Avengers' HQ or visit Shield office, because why would I? " :D

Didn't watch Age of Ultron or Ant Man, I see

I'm sure they are real upset and him making a movie that has made $587,822,793 worldwide so far.

And contrary to what GAF thinks it will do extremely well on home video as well.

This doesn't make sense to me, of course they're upset with that because they probably at some point set it up as THE movie to solidify themselves as an important studio for superhero movies, and in the end, it fell short of both critical and commercial expectations.

You'll still see characters from the movies make cameos on the TV side. That's connected enough, weather you agree or not. That's not happening on the DC side..shame, really.
This doesn't make sense to me, of course they're upset with that because they probably at some point set it up as THE movie to solidify themselves as an important studio for superhero movies, and in the end, it fell short of both critical and commercial expectations.
Pish posh..

Neoxon

• The Avengers relocated since AoU
  • SHIELD went underground after the events of Winter Soldier, slowly putting themselves back together.
So yeah, Daredevil didn't have very many options.

You'll still see characters from the movies make cameos on the TV side. That's connected enough, weather you agree or not. That's not happening on the DC side..shame, really.
On top of that, Agent Carter pretty much serves as the link between the TV shows & the movies. The most recent episode of SHIELD also directly referenced the events of Daredevil (mentioning a gang war in Hell's Kitchen, likely referencing S2E1 of Daredevil).

KonradLaw

• The Avengers relocated since AoU
  • SHIELD went underground after the events of Winter Soldier, slowly putting themselves back together.
So yeah, Daredevil didn't have very many options.

Oh. That makes sense. Still would be nice if they actually said that during the show. Geez :)

Betty

Banned
WB absolutely would have expected this to make a billion, without doubt.

That's the whole point of them doing this universe, to make that MCU money.

Kadayi

Banned

I kind of dig what the writer says. I'd reiterate that I don't think BvS is a great film (in its cinematic state at least. The eventual extended version should address the flaws) but it's not without intent, even if it doesn't quite hit the mark.

Still as with everything once again the internet seems to boil down to 'love it/hate it' with no room for a wider critical discussion in between.

WB absolutely would have expected this to make a billion, without doubt.

That's the whole point of them doing this universe, to make that MCU money.

The projections bottomed from $1.25B to less than $900M.

That's basically their entire profit margin.

Neoxon

Oh. That makes sense. Still would be nice if they actually said that during the show. Geez :)
Most of us saw Age of Ultron, so it would pretty much be implied that the Avengers relocated. As for SHIELD, it's established on the show that the public still remembers what happened during Winter Soldier, so the government is keeping the fact that SHIELD is still around on the down-low while still supporting SHIELD in secret.

KonradLaw

Pish posh..

Nah. It's for the better. Berlanti shows are already more connected than anything else on TV these days, so we get the jolt of excitement from crossovers, without restrictions they bring.
If they would be connected we would never see Flash as a tv show.

Mr-Joker

Banned
WB was putting the cart in front of the horse. It was always going to be a challenge to pull off but it's crazy to think how many ways this was fumbled.

Not only that, but it had 3+ years of production (and more than that in preproduction if you count ideas from past BvS attempts) and the final result still ended up feeling rushed.

This pretty much, WB/DC are playing catch up to Marvel MCU but are failing to understand how Marvel got it right.

Marvel spent years building up their MCU from the start of Iron Man and carefully laid the foundation while teasing the audience that the movie will tie together at the end of the movie.

Marvel also has Kevin Feige who is carefully crafting the MCU and is involve with each movie.

WB/DC however is just chasing after that Avenger money but doesn't want to take the time to invest in setting up the DCCU.

Here's what I think that they should have done;

-Instead of Batman vs Superman make Man of Steel 2 but it follows the event of Man of Steels and this movie establish how the world handles Superman, the DCCU version of Lex Luther played by a better actor and explore the dynamic of Superman and Lex Luther's relationship.

-Follow Man of Steel 2 with a Batman movie but tie in the Nolan Batman universe in as well as that would help show that the game have changed that instead of dealing with crazy freak there are now aliens and meta humans, plus it removes the need of having to another origin story.

--Then do a Wonder Woman movie set in 1918 and we explore why she turned her back on humanity.

-Then do Batman Vs Superman but call it Batman/Superman: Dawn of Justice and with a better script with them fighting in the middle of the movie and then them understanding one another.

That image is so stupid, Batman Vs Superman bombing doesn't mean that the golden age of Superheroes movie isn't dead it just means that Batman Vs Superman was a bad movie and is getting panned because of that.

I kind of dig what the writer says. I'd reiterate that I don't think BvS is a great film (in its cinematic state at least. The eventual extended version should address the flaws) but it's not without intent, even if it doesn't quite hit the mark.

Still as with everything once again the internet seems to boil down to 'love it/hate it' with no room for a wider critical discussion in between.

Except we've been having this discussion on GAF for the better part of a week now.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Fair enough, with how daredevil currently is it would pull an R rating easy.

Daredevil has waaaaaaay too much blood for a PG-13.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom