• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pinball Hall Of Fame: The Williams Collection (PS2/PSP/Wii)

Remy

Gamespot:

With the destruction of their natural habitat, the giant beasts known as pinball machines that once dominated the arcade landscape are a dying breed. They're also prime fodder for digital preservation, as Crave Entertainment today announced a follow-up to its 2004 and 2005 console and handheld versions of Pinball Hall of Fame: The Gottlieb Collection.

Set for release later this year, Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection collects eight of the manufacturer's tables from decades past into a compilation for release on the PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable, and Wii. Among the tables included are Black Knight, Space Shuttle, and Gorgar. FarSight Studios, the company behind the first Pinball Hall of Fame game, will also be handling development of the follow-up.

COME ON PINBOT.

Agent X

This is awesome news! I greatly enjoy Pinball Hall of Fame: The Gottlieb Collection on PSP--they did a nice job with that one. I'm glad to see that they're tackling Williams machines now. Williams had some terrific pinball designs; the ones they've announced so far are a good start. I'll definitely keep an eye out for this one.

The Gottlieb Pinball Classics (Pinball Hall of Fame) port on Wii was excellent, you used both the Wiimote and the Nunchuck for the flippers, and shaking either of them bumped the table. Can't wait for this one. =o~

Screens

pinball-hall-of-fame-the-williams-collection--20070327043950859.jpg

pinball-hall-of-fame-the-williams-collection--20070327044010312.jpg

Remy

Kotaku has more screenshots, include YES OH MY GOD PINBOT.

List of tables seems to now be:
Pin*bot
Funhouse
Gorgar
Firepower
Black Knight
Space Shuttle
Taxi
Jive Time
Whirlwind
Sorcerer

That's two more than 8 games - and this will be a day 1 for me if that list holds out.

no_to_co

too bad that it can't include their licensed tables like Addams Family and Creature from the Black Lagoon. But surely they could have included Attack From Mars.

no_to_co said:
too bad that it can't include their licensed tables like Addams Family and Creature from the Black Lagoon. But surely they could have included Attack From Mars.
Attack from Mars? That's the one with the 3D graphics on the playfield, right?
I wish that the Defender pinball table was included, though. :-(

Geek

Ninny Prancer
PorscheThunder said:
Attack from Mars? That's the one with the 3D graphics on the playfield, right?
I wish that the Defender pinball table was included, though. :-(

That's Revenge From Mars.

vireland

What's up with the creative license they're taking, most obviously on TAXI? The drop targets are supposed to have suitcases on them because Marilyn/Lola is all packed up and ready to go. But on the pics of the collection, they put lame flagish stickers. If they're going to do an "authentic" pinball collection, keep them authentic.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Wait a sec... there was a Wii port of the Gottlieb pinball collection? That's essentially the same as the Pinball Hall of Fame GC/PS2/etc. game, right?

When did the Wii version emerge?

DavidDayton said:
Wait a sec... there was a Wii port of the Gottlieb pinball collection? That's essentially the same as the Pinball Hall of Fame GC/PS2/etc. game, right?

When did the Wii version emerge?

Yep. =o

gottliebpinballclassicsdj6.jpg

It was a launch title in PAL regions. Same game as Pinball Hall of Fame on PS2, just a different name. But with some improved textures, better ball physics and controls that worked really well.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I loved the Gottlieb collection and will pick up the Williams collection as soon as it's out. My only complaint was that I felt they could have improved the texture resolution on the PSP version.

I remember a time when it seemed that there would never be a licensed port of Star Wars: The Arcade Game (the vector game from Atari), but after years of successful emulation collections we finally saw it show up in Rogue Squadron 3 on the GameCube. I hope that something similar will eventually happen with the pinball collections -- that licensed games like Addams Family and The Simpsons can be brought home in emulated form.

Certainly, the fact that a second collection is being made is a good sign. Let's hope that demand continues to build to the point that it makes sense for someone to buy the rights to do those licensed tables.

2DMention

Banned
Got it in 3 days even with Amazon Free shipping!

It's a miracle they made this, but the fact that it's only sold @ Amazon and Walmart.com is kind of a bad sign.

I really like the tables they have on this. It's not like Gotlieb where most of the table were too antiquated to enjoy.

I love the bleep bloop 8bit sound effects, and the control scheme on the wii. It feels like you're playing real pinball.

bryehn

2DMention said:
...and the control scheme on the wii. It feels like you're playing real pinball.

That's a hell of a bump.

How can the Wii controls feel like you're playing real pinball? Are they motion based?

Personally I like the 360 triggers and rumble on Pinball FX.

jvm

Gamasutra.
2DMention said:
Got it in 3 days even with Amazon Free shipping!
My Amazon order has been pushed back...delivery in April. WTF? I hope they didn't run out of them...

Minsc

Gold Member
Link said:
They totally need to make you shake the Wiimote for tilt.

They've previously announced this, you'll be able to pull the plunger thingy back by doing the same back motion with the remote, tilting/shaking the table will be done by shaking the remote (I believe you can shake in a certain direction by using either the remote or the nunchuck), and one of the two flipper buttons are controlled each by a separate button on the nunchuck and remote. One hand for the left flipper, the other hand for the right flipper, just like a pinball machine.

It actually sounds like it will sort of emulate being at a pinball machine a bit more realistically, hopefully it all works out.

My Amazon order has been pushed back...delivery in April. WTF? I hope they didn't run out of them...

Last I saw, it was going to be released on 3/28/08. Wouldn't be surprised if it got pushed back again, as previously it was due out earlier than that.

Agent X

Minsc said:
Last I saw, it was going to be released on 3/28/08. Wouldn't be surprised if it got pushed back again, as previously it was due out earlier than that.

It's already been released. As I mentiond in this thread, my friend has both the Wii and PSP versions. I was at the store with him when he got the Wii version.

bjork said:
On PSP, can you adjust the screen so the image is sideways, and you hold the PSP longways?

Yes.

PHoF: The Gottlieb Collection also had that feature. It looked good, but (unlike some other classic game compilations) I didn't really like the controls in this mode, so I always played it horizontally oriented. I don't know if that's been improved in PHoF: The Williams Collection, as I haven't played it myself.

Torgo

The PS2 version plays quite well on the PS3. I have that and the PSP version, and both are much better than the Gottleib Collection. The weird part is that the PSP version has 2 more tables, Jive Time and Sorcerer, than the Wii and PS2 versions. I definitely play th PSP version the most though.

The Wii version is $10 more, and the only "extra" that you seem to get is motion "tilting."

I did a review of this on our last show

PSNation Ep51

I forgot all about this. Doesn't look like you can get it off Amazon.ca though. Am I screwed? I'd rather not have to order it from the US.

Torgo said:
The PS2 version plays quite well on the PS3. I have that and the PSP version, and both are much better than the Gottleib Collection. The weird part is that the PSP version has 2 more tables, Jive Time and Sorcerer, than the Wii and PS2 versions. I definitely play th PSP version the most though.

The Wii version is $10 more, and the only "extra" that you seem to get is motion "tilting."

PSNation Ep51

That's because of a mandate from Sony on PS2 ports on PSP needing new content. Still, no reason the tables shouldn't be in the Wii version though.

bjork

Agent X said:
Yes.

PHoF: The Gottlieb Collection also had that feature. It looked good, but (unlike some other classic game compilations) I didn't really like the controls in this mode, so I always played it horizontally oriented. I don't know if that's been improved in PHoF: The Williams Collection, as I haven't played it myself.

Nice. Now I want to pick up the Gottlieb one, too. :D

Minsc

Gold Member
Agent X said:
It's already been released. As I mentiond in this thread, my friend has both the Wii and PSP versions. I was at the store with him when he got the Wii version.

Yes.

Thanks for the correction, I'm interested in this title, but can't decide what system I want to get it for...

meppi

Remy said:
COME ON PINBOT.

I came in here to post this very line and was beaten by the topic starter. :lol

For years I've been saying that up till this very day my favourite pinball game ever is still Pin.Bot for the NES.
Words cannot describe what I felt when I read the post about this table being on the official list and shortly thereafter seeing the first screenshot of it.
I would easily pay €100 for a perfect videogame rendition of the Pin.Bot table by itself, so I don't need to explain how hyped I am for this.

OMG, OMG, OMG. :D

BobTheFork said:
"GIVE ME YOUR MONEY!!!!!!"

Just to warn you, you're thinking of Black Knight 2000, the 1989 sequel/re-imagining of Black Knight. The original Black Knight, the one on this compilation, came out in 1980 and is much more crude -- no music with lyrics! Though the Black Knight does still taunt you, however early-80s robotically.

Torgo said:
The weird part is that the PSP version has 2 more tables, Jive Time and Sorcerer, than the Wii and PS2 versions ... The Wii version is $10 more, and the only "extra" that you seem to get is motion "tilting."

Jive Time and Sorcerer are both on the Wii version, and I'm pretty sure the bit about the Wii version being $10 more is untrue, despite being reported everywhere. I got mine for $20 in the budget games section, right alongside Ninjabread Man and Super Fruit Fall. It didn't appear to be "on sale," and everyone else I know who has actually managed to track down a copy (from various different stores) has also paid $20. It was a bitch to find, though. I went to 6 local stores before finally finding it at Fred Meyer (a west coast chain) though I've heard they also have it at FYE and Walmart.

For what it's worth, the compilation is probably the best example of video pinball I've ever played on a console. It absolutely destroys the ping-pong-y feeling Pinball FX, and completely one-ups the Gottlieb collection due to actually having fun/classic tables to play. I consider myself intimately familiar with a few of the games here (Funhouse, Whirlwind, Firepower, Pinbot) and all are very nicely represented with nearly perfect ball-weight feel and physics. There are a few little nitpicks that aficionados will pick up on (Taxi's drop targets are inexplicably changed from the original, I've heard Funhouse has some ramp lights that don't work like they should, some sounds are a little off), but for the most part the games play exactly as you remember them.

It's almost weird to me that this is getting the budget treatment, though I guess that's pretty much standard fare for classic compilations these days. The presentation is pretty slick, as anyone who played the Gottlieb collection knows. For those who have trouble picking up on what they should be doing in a pinball machine, there are extremely detailed and fully voiced walk-throughs of the scoring and shots for every table, complete with helpful camera angles that point you to the exact spots you need to know about. I've been playing some of these games for years and even I learned a few things about the scoring that I'd never quite fully understood. The ambiance in the arcade/hub/menu is nicely executed -- when you're playing one game, you can hear distant sounds of others being played in the background. Of course if this annoys you you can turn it off. Even the somewhat inappropriate heavy metal music playing in the arcade is all original and pretty rocking, for a budget game.

Since these guys seem to have the pinball thing down tight, here's hoping for a third compilation. Williams again would be great, or possibly Bally. There are still a ton of great untapped non-license (sorry Twilight Zone fans, it's probably not gonna happen) games that they could draw from: Medieval Madness, Cactus Canyon, Road Show, Whitewater, Black Rose, High Speed 1 & 2, Black Knight 2000, Diner, Earthshaker, Banzai Run, etc.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Thanks for the update. I've been thinking about getting this, if only to encourage more virtual pinball compilations.

Remy

Just put in my order for the PSP version - now I'll get it almost exactly one year after I opened this thread.

Still.

omgicantwait.png

jvm

Gamasutra.
Giggle: yes, see the review in the next paragraph.

You guys should see this review on Quarter to Three. Pretty thorough. Talks about 2 more tables on Wii, but I'm guessing they're in all versions. I'd like a definitive statement on which versions have which tables.

Anyway, as an update, my Amazon order just shipped a couple of hours ago. Arrives on 22 March, or earlier. Pretty stoked.

All signs point to BUY. If you support real pinball sim/emulations, get it or better yet buy Gottlieb and this one.

Agent X

Torgo said:

PSNation Ep51

Yes, I noticed that! I appreciated it, since most of the "big" sites have completely ignored this package. (Unfortunately, it looks like most of the "big" retailers are also ignoring it.)

jvm said:
Giggle: yes, see the review in the next paragraph.

You guys should see this review on Quarter to Three. Pretty thorough. Talks about 2 more tables on Wii, but I'm guessing they're in all versions. I'd like a definitive statement on which versions have which tables.

All three versions (PS2, PSP, and Wii) have the following eight tables:

Black Knight
Firepower
Fun House
Gorgar
Pin*Bot
Space Shuttle
Taxi
Whirlwind

The PSP and Wii also have two additional tables:

Jive Time
Sorceror

BTW, I've seen the Wii version for $19.99 at FYE today. I also spotted the Wii version of Impossible Mission (yes, based on the old Epyx game) at the same store, but that's another story.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I got the PS2 version from Amazon for $14.99.

Holy crap, this game is really, really good. One of the best pinball games I've ever played, and I've played almost all of them.

Great physics, incredibly detailed table/sound reconstruction, fun modes to play (tournaments, multi-table unlock runs).

I can't believe this was only $15.

If you like pinball, you need to get this game. Definitely picking up the Gottleib one as well after seeing the quality in this.

My only qualm is that it's 480p. This would be incredible as a 360/PS3 release. It doesn't look bad on my PS3 upressed to 720p with smoothing, but still... at true 720p this would be even better.

Minsc

Gold Member
So what are the chances of ever getting an official pinball game with (more) modern games, like Addams Family or other big names that aren't coming to mind right now?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Minsc said:
So what are the chances of ever getting an official pinball game with (more) modern games, like Addams Family or other big names that aren't coming to mind right now?

Pretty good if you buy both of these.

Top Bottom