• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pinball Hall Of Fame: The Williams Collection (PS2/PSP/Wii)

FiOSGuy

Collateral Damage Tag :P
MoxManiac - Here ya go.

sf2.jpg

Minsc

Gold Member
radjago said:
There's a Williams Pinbal Classics game for PC that came out in 2001. It seems pretty hard to find as it's going for over $100 on Amazon and there haven't been any sold on ebay for quite a while.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005RE9I/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Shitty 95/98 games, especially pinball ones, are best thrown in to the garbage. Those comments on Amazon are pretty scary. I don't even want to imagine the frustration in getting that to run probably under Vista/XP properly with no keyboard lag, the Pro-Pinball series is hard enough, but at least those are good, run at 60 fps and look beautiful with table/ball physics still unmatched today.

Lettuce

Dream Pinaball which is also coming out for the Wii next month also looks good!!. Also a little disappointed that there are no secret tables in the Williams Collection

The Wii version of this game seems to be like Mercury Meltdown Revolution . . . a great inexpensive game that can't be found any where at B&M retail. :-(

Neither my local gamestop nor ToysRUs had it.

dyls

speculawyer said:
The Wii version of this game seems to be like Mercury Meltdown Revolution . . . a great inexpensive game that can't be found any where at B&M retail. :-(

Is MMR hard to find? I saw it at Circuit City on Saturday and very nearly pulled the trigger. Now I wish I had.

Remy

Does anyone here have any interest in a high score competition? I hit some nice scores over the weekend and I recall there being some heavy competition for Pinball FX when it hit.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
speculawyer said:

I'm guessing Crave burned a lot of bridges, or something like that... that or they are doing a weird budget release and many stores aren't getting in copies until ages from now.

rhino4evr

I finally found a copy of this at a local Target. It was the third store I tried, they had 3 copies in the budget endcap..

anyway, if you are a fan of pinball, or old school arcade games this is a must buy. Especially for $20. Despite it being a budget title it was produced very well.

The best feature is easily the "Rules" option. It goes through the entire table pointing out what each bumper does, and how to score combos. it's really helpfull. I had no idea how complicated these games were. I think the Funhouse rules has 82 notes. i would never read any of this, which is why it's a blessing that it's fully voice acted. Brilliant.

I've never played the VM pinball on the computer, but as far as consoles go, this is the best piball game I've ever played.

If you dropped tons of quarters in machines growing up like I did, this collection is made for you. It brought back too many memories to count.

for a pinball game, I'd easily give it a 9. If it had the Cyclone and some other licesnsed tables, it would be perfect.

please buy it so we get a Part 2.

sk3tch

Just wanted to bump this thread to say this game rocks. $19.99 at Target for the Wii version to boot!! Insane deal. If you even remotely like pinball, pick it up.

Link

The Autumn Wind
speculawyer said:

I saw it at Target just the other day. Check it out.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
I ordered this from Amazon and now they say they're backordered. This blows, I can't find the game anywhere:(

jvm

Gamasutra.
I've been clearing table goals and unlocking other tables this weekend, and that's kicked the game into high gear for me. What an improvement over the scheme in the Gottlieb collection!

I've easily put in 10 hours on this game already, making it well worth the $20 I spent on it. (PSP version, FWIW.)

I've also had a few bugs. On Funhouse (IIRC), I've had the ball disappear and the Call Attendant didn't work -- it said the ball was right in front of the plunger! So I had to quit out of those games to get back to normal.

Also, there are a few places where the sounds cut out. Even one on the tutorial text.

Regardless, pick this up people. I want another one already!

Chairhome

Orlando, FL: Waterford Lakes Target. I didn't expect to find any, but I found 5 on the bottom shelf of the "bargain games" endcap. I picked one up. Great game!

dyls

My wife got this for me last night at Target while I was at the Dodger-Red Sox games (an insane 115,000 at the coliseum.) She is a good woman, so good that even after she had left the store empty-handed because she thought she was looking for a DS game, went back in to pick it up once I told her it was for Wii. She said there were about 4 copies left, so anyone interested should check the Burbank (Empire Center) Target.

Loving the game so far, definitely the best video pinball game I've played, both in the ball physics and in the presentation of the tables. It's been the only thing to get SSBB out of the Wii since its release.

I agree with the call that the "Rules" section is incredibly helpful, and pretty well laid out with the voice-acting and clear presentation of what is where. The "Table Goals" are also pretty great, and add an acheivements-like system that is pretty addictive. I'm surprised how much I like the older-school, less fancy games such as Firepower.

Link

The Autumn Wind
So yeah, after posting that I had seen it at Target, I decided to run out and get it myself. I mean, $20? You can't beat that. Even Amazon doesn't come close. Gonna get into it tomorrow.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
jvm said:
I've also had a few bugs. On Funhouse (IIRC), I've had the ball disappear and the Call Attendant didn't work -- it said the ball was right in front of the plunger! So I had to quit out of those games to get back to normal.
Did you actually try using the plunger after it told you that?

Funhouse has a secondary plunger on the left of the cabinet that's used for a bonus skill shot. When the ball goes into that lane in the game, it does look like it's disappeared from the table. When you pull back the plunger, however, the ball shoots back up the left side of the table back into play.

ynsamb

There are plenty more great shots of the machine here: http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?gid=966
(and one of the main photo contributors has essentially the French version of my first and last names...weird).

DDayton

Local Target has lots of copies of this...

What's the Call Attendant function for? I haven't tried it, and I just realized that I had no clue what it did.

SickBoy

I gotta track this down in Canadia (and the earlier Pinball Classics). I agree with the POP folks that they should make this a platform for XBLA DLC

Segata Sanshiro said:
I would buy a full-priced one of these consisting solely of Addams Family Pinball, if it were to happen.

Amen... I want to see someone find the rightsholders to the Addams Family (how valuable a license can it be?), find the rightsholders to the movie (they'd better not be holding it up) and a great pinball engine and put it all together for that game.

I can only imagine how much I spent on that game over the years. Haven't seen it in ages, but I do know if I was ever to buy a coin-op machine, that'd be it.

Ristamar

I wish Attack From Mars was in there. Or Star Trek: TNG. I played the shit out of both of those. I played a lot of the older tables, too, but things got really good in the early-to- mid 90's. Hopefully we'll see a sequel with some licensed tables.

Remy

DavidDayton said:
What's the Call Attendant function for? I haven't tried it, and I just realized that I had no clue what it did.

In case the ball gets stuck. Just like in real life.

The only place I've had to use it consistently is on Whirlwind, because if you hit the lock ramp too slowly the lock function doesn't seem to trigger.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
SickBoy said:
Amen... I want to see someone find the rightsholders to the Addams Family (how valuable a license can it be?), find the rightsholders to the movie (they'd better not be holding it up) and a great pinball engine and put it all together for that game.

I can only imagine how much I spent on that game over the years. Haven't seen it in ages, but I do know if I was ever to buy a coin-op machine, that'd be it.

The MA-MU-SKA!

rhino4evr

searching through the pinball database just made me want a Vol. 2 immediately.

So many great Williams titles. They could release another 10 tables that aren't licensed easily.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Whimsical Phil said:
Did you actually try using the plunger after it told you that?
Yes, the camera was focused on the right plunger (not the left) and the analog stick did nothing. I'm fairly certain that this was a right-plunger-launch situation, not left. And I could hear the plunger pull back and make noise when I let it go...it just didn't connect with anything.

SickBoy

I picked this up the other day, and I like it a lot. I'd love it to be in hi-res, and I wish it had some tables I liked more (i.e.: Police Force), but hopefully these collections do decent enough business that they'll spawn more. I'd also like to see the Gottlieb version released on Wii, although I plan on searching it out, since it's been a shovel-pack-in game in a lot of value packs at Wal-Mart.

My one complaint is a lot of these value titles get screwed over in Canada. Both this and Fire Pro wrestling have only come with French manuals. Good going, dumbasses!

Tobor

I'm loving, loving, loving this game. I picked it up at Target this weekend(Wii version, naturally), and I can't stop playing it. The movie theater I worked for as a teen had an awesome arcade, and I have played most of these machines for hours on end in real life. Whirlwind, Taxi, Funhouse and Pinbot, we had all of them at various times. The objectives give me that awesome achievement high as well.

Has anyone managed to score the 100,000 point objective in Jive Time? What an impossible table.

DDayton

Tobor said:
Has anyone managed to score the 100,000 point objective in Jive Time? What an impossible table.

I rather like Jive Time... it's easy to see where everything is, at least. Nice, simple layout.

I will say that if any game feels like it was made for the Wii Remote + Nunchuk, it's pinball. The dual handed controls with tilt shaking is what really makes this game great.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Tobor said:
I managed to do it, but it was quite a task. You definite have to get a bunch of extra balls either on the initial shot or by opening the west gate. It's just too damn easy to lose.

EDIT - Also, I was in Target again yesterday, and all the copies of this were gone. Good sign, hopefully.

Tobor

Link said:
I managed to do it, but it was quite a task. You definite have to get a bunch of extra balls either on the initial shot or by opening the west gate. It's just too damn easy to lose.

It seems like it's completely luck. I just managed to get 78,000, then followed it up with a whopping 23,000.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Funny enough, I just got it after deciding to try again after talking about it, haha. Christ, the Wizard goals for this table, though.... Never gonna happen.

dyls

DavidDayton said:
I will say that if any game feels like it was made for the Wii Remote + Nunchuk, it's pinball. The dual handed controls with tilt shaking is what really makes this game great.

I agree, the setup is perfect. Although I'm still getting the hang of nudging the table in the correct direction. If I want the ball to go left, I should shake my left hand, right? Because that would nudge the table to the right and thus the ball to the left?

SickBoy

Boy, when I read it, I have issues conceptualizing, but yeah, I think that's right.

I love the tilt in this game. First, as everyone says, the Wiimote control is perfect. Second, it just goes to show that all the arcade operators in my town were wimps. I rarely tilted in the arcade, because the sensitivity was set way too high. I've played on machines where a pretty tame nudge has tilted the machine, so typically I've only ever done it as a lifesaver, which IMO isn't really how pinball is meant to be played (those sensitive tables are also one reason of many why I prefer tables that have busier playfields). When I tilt in this game, I feel like I'm getting away with murder.

BTW, I'd love to see some media outlet ask Crave if they're going to release the Gottlieb collection on Wii (it's developed and out in other territories: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gottlieb_Pinball_Classics) ..I'll always be able to play the PS2 version, but I skipped it before. Now that I've played the Williams collection, I'd like to get it, but I much prefer the Wii control scheme.

In true analog pinball fashion, maybe a snail mail letter-writing campaign is in order if they're not going to bring it out :)

Sh0k

Has anyone seen the PSP version at any not-online store ? I found the Wii version at Best Buy and Target, but no PSP :*(

Remy said:
Does anyone here have any interest in a high score competition? I hit some nice scores over the weekend and I recall there being some heavy competition for Pinball FX when it hit.

We had a great high score thread going for Metroid Prime Pinball back in the day, too. I'd love to do the same here. I'm surprised nobody else has expressed interest yet!

Ronabo

I got this the other day. I flipped the score on Firepower twice, almost three times before I got bored.

That table plays alot easier than the real deal or even Visual Pinball versions.

Still pretty good game. Kinda sucks the PS2 version got screwed out of the two other tables.

Sh0k said:
Has anyone seen the PSP version at any not-online store ? I found the Wii version at Best Buy and Target, but no PSP :*(

I haven't. I went to Best Buy to get it for PSP, ended up getting the Wii version since thats all they had. And even then it wasn't in the correct order, and didn't have its own "divider" with the name of the game on it.

Cjkorea

I'm all in for a HIGH SCORE thread!!

I have a beast of a score in Jive Time: Nearly 2,000,000

I'll post a pic in a few hours.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is the Wii version in 16:9, or is it stretched?

Also, on the PS2, when I hit the "tilt" stick right, does that bump the ball left or right?

Tobor

speculawyer said:
Is the Wii version worth the $29.99?

It would be worth $49.99, in my humble opinion. Luckily, and has been said, it's a frigging steal at $19.99.

FlyinJ said:
Is the Wii version in 16:9, or is it stretched?

Also, on the PS2, when I hit the "tilt" stick right, does that bump the ball left or right?

1. Yes, it's 16:9.

2. No clue.

Cjkorea

Hope they bring the Gottlieb version to Wii in the states... My wife loved Genie... the only table where her high score was more than mine. Good Game

Top Bottom