• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pinball Hall Of Fame: The Williams Collection (PS2/PSP/Wii)

FiOSGuy

Collateral Damage Tag :P
I got this off amazon last week .....
pinball.jpg

Thought it was okie .... There little things missing like sound effects, little details on a few tables. There are really some tables that needed to be on this collection ....

If you are a Visual Pinball/VPM person -- no need for this as the tables on VPM far exceed the ones on PSP ..

Remy

twinturbo2 said:
While I'm at it, what tables are in the Gottlieb version? Are there exclusive tables to the PSP version?

Just pulled out the UMD and the manual (I need some practice!), and here's the list:

Ace High (1957)
Central Park (1966)
Big Shot (1974)
Genie (1979)
Black Hole (1981)
Goin' Nuts (1983)
El Dorado City Of Gold (1984)
Victory (1987)
Tee'd Off (1993)
Strikes n' Spares (1995)

Genie, Big Shot, Victory, and El Dorado are unlocked at the start - everything else you have to unlock.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Remy said:
Just pulled out the UMD and the manual (I need some practice!), and here's the list:

Ace High (1957)
Central Park (1966)
Big Shot (1974)
Genie (1979)
Black Hole (1981)
Goin' Nuts (1983)
El Dorado City Of Gold (1984)
Victory (1987)
Tee'd Off (1993)
Strikes n' Spares (1995)

Genie, Big Shot, Victory, and El Dorado are unlocked at the start - everything else you have to unlock.
Okay, thanks. :D

Shaneus

Bugger... shame that this didn't get an Xbox/360 release! I picked up the original on Xbox but it just *had* to come out on all the consoles I DIDN'T have. Incredibly sad :(

jvm

Gamasutra.
Shaneus said:
Bugger... shame that this didn't get an Xbox/360 release! I picked up the original on Xbox but it just *had* to come out on all the consoles I DIDN'T have. Incredibly sad :(
This is about as obvious a PSN/XBL release as I can imagine. I really wouldn't mind if they went the DLC route to add tables (and that's saying something, since I'm not super DLC proponent).

Agent X

twinturbo2 said:
While I'm at it, what tables are in the Gottlieb version? Are there exclusive tables to the PSP version?

Remy already answered the question with regard to what tables are available, although you can add Play-Boy which was a hidden table.

Three of the tables were supposed to be exclusive to PSP. If I recall correctly, those are El Dorado City of Gold, Goin' Nuts, and Strikes 'n Spares.

Triz

Ordered it from a seller on amazon last month. And ive spent so much time on the PSP version. I love Williams tables and its a much better product than gottlieb for me because of this fact.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
is the Gottlieb one as nice as this one?
Was it budget priced in Pal regions? I'm thinking about picking it up for Wii.

Is there a release date for this new one for Europe as well?

2DMention

Banned
After playing this, I'm almost ready to pony up for a Freeloader and a copy of the gotileb collection for Wii. Is the Gottlieb collection hard to get if you live outside of the UK?

Benedict

jgkspsx

Cripes, this came out? Need to pick it up for PSP (<3 Gottlieb collection), maybe PS2 or Wii as well. Any advantage to either console version?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
FiOSGuy said:
If you are a Visual Pinball/VPM person -- no need for this as the tables on VPM far exceed the ones on PSP ..
Wait, there's VPM ported to PSP?? <runs to search for it>

I love playing pinball games on PSP, they're one of those ideal handheld games. Loved Gottlieb collection as well. A good VPM port would be amazing...

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I guess both games are 4:3 and 480i on Wii?

I'm a pinball whore even in its videogame form and It's a bummer there's no DS version...
Why aren't there more pinball games for DS I dunno... the hardware is a perfect fit (just use prerendered backgrounds and that's fine) and Metroid Pinball is among my top10 DS games...

I've never tried Mario Pinball/Sonic Pinball/Pokemon Pinball for GBA: the former I heard mostly bad things while the latter had a positive consensus iirc) but I just can't see myself playing pinball on that tiny screen...

jvm

Gamasutra.
Sorry, too lazy to see if it's mentioned, but Game Informer also reviewed the Wii version: 8.5, IIRC. Will check after dinner.

Edit: Confirmed. It got an 8.5.

Remy

Got my copy yesterday, clocked a bunch of time on it, and so now I can address this...

Dash Kappei said:
is the Gottlieb one as nice as this one?

Keeping in mind I've played both versions on the PSP, I'd say the answer is "Williams is better, but it depends". Each has their own perks.

In terms of table selection, Williams all the way. The Gottlieb has a number of tables that don't feel like "pinball" as you might be used to - Ace High, Central Park, Play-Boy, and Strikes & Spares stick out as tables I don't play a lot because they don't have a very deep number of play modes. I haven't hit any very simplistic tables on Williams yet - hell, I haven't hit a table I'm not really crazy about, and I think I've played them all at least once by this point.

Of course, being a child of the 80's, I recognize far more of the Williams tables than the Gottlieb ones. There are also some truly bullshit tables in the Gottlieb collection - Tee'd Off and El Dorado are both frustrating for me.

In terms of controls and camera, I prefer the Gottlieb one slightly - the "Smart" cameras in the Williams game all feel too far away to get a good look at the table. But this is a personal taste thing, of course. There's a slight edge in the interface, too. The Gottlieb "arcade" has all the tables on one level, and the menu is very quick to get through. The Williams one is split level (two tables are "upstairs" - why?) and the menus require some scrolling to find what you're looking for.

For replayability, though, Williams all the way - the Gottlieb game has one goal per table. Williams has 10 (or I'm assuming it's only 10). Both require you to do some work to unlock tables in free play mode, but it seems to be an easier task on the Williams title. Racking up credits for unlocks on the Gottlieb involved a lot of betting on the Play-Boy table; if you complete the first five challenges on any Williams table, you get a free unlock of another table.

All considered, I'd still recommend picking up both - but like most retrogame series, the feature set put into the games seems to get better as each revision goes through. I can only hope we'll see a Bally collection next so we can maybe get IR for high scores.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Remy said:
The Gottlieb has a number of tables that don't feel like "pinball" as you might be used to - Ace High, Central Park, Play-Boy, and Strikes & Spares stick out as tables I don't play a lot because they don't have a very deep number of play modes. I haven't hit any very simplistic tables on Williams yet - hell, I haven't hit a table I'm not really crazy about, and I think I've played them all at least once by this point.

Of course, being a child of the 80's, I recognize far more of the Williams tables than the Gottlieb ones. There are also some truly bullshit tables in the Gottlieb collection - Tee'd Off and El Dorado are both frustrating for me.
Crazy. We have far different tastes. I really liked the bolded tables above, precisely because they felt more primitive. Especially Central Park and Ace High. I don't even know if I ever saw them as a kid, but I saw enough purely mechanical (not EM with LEDs) tables in my youth to really appreciate the reproductions in the Gottlieb collection.

Still waiting on mine to come in. Amazon said 22 March, but I'm hoping for sooner...

Hotsuma

What is VPM? Is that a pinball collection for PSP or for PC only? I would like to get the Williams Collection mainly for Pinbot and Taxi, but does anyone know if a collection like this could hit Xbox Live Arcade?

jvm

Gamasutra.
Hotsuma said:
What is VPM? Is that a pinball collection for PSP or for PC only? I would like to get the Williams Collection mainly for Pinbot and Taxi, but does anyone know if a collection like this could hit Xbox Live Arcade?
Not only could it, but it should. Seriously. There is no reason these things aren't DLC'ed to pieces. Get some Addams Family in there, and make a mint.

Remy

jvm said:
Crazy. We have far different tastes. I really liked the bolded tables above, precisely because they felt more primitive. Especially Central Park and Ace High. I don't even know if I ever saw them as a kid, but I saw enough purely mechanical (not EM with LEDs) tables in my youth to really appreciate the reproductions in the Gottlieb collection.

I can appreciate Central Park and Ace High for what they are - but that doesn't mean I have much patience for playing them repeatedly. A three ball game feels like an average of two minutes. Given how frequently you can have a ball drain without it hitting the flippers even once, it doesn't feel like there's much input I have in the process.

And I like the idea behind El Dorado, but it is so, so painful to try to score on - it's what, 18 targets and only three are lit at a time to make them worth hitting? It is/was a frequently kill point for me when doing the Gottlieb Challenge. (The other point? Tee'd Off.)

----

Back to the Williams Collection for the second: I have hit a few bugs, most noticeably on Funhouse. This is the greatest sentence I'll write all day: Rudy's mouth doesn't seem to detect balls properly. Sometimes when I advance the clock to midnight, I'll hit the ball in and it will pass through to the hideout kicker. No, you damn game, I wanted multiball. I've also hit it into his mouth at midnight while the million was lit and the game hard froze.

And on another table (don't recall which one), I actually had the game tell me a ball "went off the table" and replaced it at the plunger. It was towards the top of the playfield, so I didn't see how it happened, but suddenly I'm glad there's the "Call Attendant" option in the pause menu.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Remy said:
I can appreciate Central Park and Ace High for what they are - but that doesn't mean I have much patience for playing them repeatedly. A three ball game feels like an average of two minutes. Given how frequently you can have a ball drain without it hitting the flippers even once, it doesn't feel like there's much input I have in the process.
That's actually why I like it. The typical game is short, but occasionally you get a really sweet, long play and it feels immensely rewarding. And, frankly, on a handheld (PSP), I don't mind short games...prefer them actually, or at least games that can be played in 5-10 minute bursts.

GameGamer

Remy said:

I always thought the Gottlieb collection was worth it alone for Tee'd Off and Big Shot.

FiOSGuy

Collateral Damage Tag :P
Here are some really good examples of VP/VPM on the PC ....
A lot of the tables made now are absolutely awesome ....
I took un-compressed pics but have been scaled down to 10x7 :(

attackmars.jpg

highspeed.jpg

getaway.jpg

firepower.jpg

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Hotsuma said:
What is VPM? Is that a pinball collection for PSP or for PC only?
VPM = Visual Pinball MAME, a pinball emulator basically.

And no, I don't think it exists for PSP, the poster who suggested that seems to be wrong :\

rhino4evr

does anyone remember the pinball game The Cyclone? That was my favorite pinball machine of all time.

http://www.pinballrebel.com/game/pins/cyclone/cyclone_pinball.htm

When I saw the Williams Collection was being released I was really hoping this was on it, looks like I'm out of luck.

Fun Fact: The band Mr.Bungle sampled several clips straight from the pinball soundboards. Including my favorite "Ride the Ferris Wheel!"

If it was on this compilation it would be an instant purchase.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
I picked up the Wii version of this today at an FYE. It was indeed $20 as opposed to Amazon's $30. As has been stated several times already, it's pretty darn fantastic. Easily worth the money.

On a side note, I also found a Wii update of the old C64 game Impossible Mission at FYE as well (also $20). There's a DS version that's a Gamestop exclusive, but I didn't realize that the Wii version was coming to the U.S. (it came out in Europe last year, I believe).

Later this evening, I also found the Wii version Williams Pinball at Target ($20 there as well), so there's another retailer to check out when you're looking for this excellent game.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
rhino4evr said:
does anyone remember the pinball game The Cyclone? That was my favorite pinball machine of all time.

http://www.pinballrebel.com/game/pins/cyclone/cyclone_pinball.htm

When I saw the Williams Collection was being released I was really hoping this was on it, looks like I'm out of luck.

Fun Fact: The band Mr.Bungle sampled several clips straight from the pinball soundboards. Including my favorite "Ride the Ferris Wheel!"

If it was on this compilation it would be an instant purchase.
They have to save stuff for volume 2. I want The Getaway, and I wonder if the Defender pinball table can be added...

Agent X

Whimsical Phil said:
I picked up the Wii version of this today at an FYE. It was indeed $20 as opposed to Amazon's $30. As has been stated several times already, it's pretty darn fantastic. Easily worth the money.

I agree. I went ahead and got the Wii version for myself yesterday. I initially had my heart set on the PSP version, and I still intend to get it at some point, but the Wii version turned out great. I was concerned about the implementation of motion controls on the Wii (sensitivity when nudging), but they did a good job of it.

Whimsical Phil said:
On a side note, I also found a Wii update of the old C64 game Impossible Mission at FYE as well (also $20). There's a DS version that's a Gamestop exclusive, but I didn't realize that the Wii version was coming to the U.S. (it came out in Europe last year, I believe).

I noticed that too, and even mentioned it earlier in this thread. :) That was the first I had heard of a US release of the Wii version as well. I'd like to know if anyone's played it on Wii, and could comment on its quality (maybe in a new thread, so not to derail this one).

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
In case anybody cares, Gamespot gave this game an 8/10.

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/puzzle/...w.html?sid=6188163&tag=recent_updates;title;1

They wanted some licensed tables- they mentioned a Star Trek TNG table- and the presentation could be better, but they loved it.

Meanwhile, IGN gave it an 8/10, too, and touched on the same things.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/859/859821p1.html

The current GameRankings average stands at a pretty-damn-good 82%.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/938773.asp

If anyone's hoping for more Pinball Hall of Fame compilations- Gottlieb V.2, Williams V.2, Bally V.1, and the like- the positive reviews here have to be a good sign...

jvm

Gamasutra.
I finally got my PSP copy in. Loving it, as expected.

I'm still disappointed that the textures aren't as sharp as I thought they could be. Reminds me of Gottlieb in that respect.

Anyone here with PSP and Wii version and can comment on how the Wii version's textures look, esp. on 480p? I really, really wanted something more like that Cyclone image just above me in this thread... :^\

jgkspsx

twinturbo2 said:
They wanted some licensed tables- they mentioned a Star Trek TNG table- and the presentation could be better, but they loved it.
In a budget game? Yeah, right.

I'd definitely pay $20 for the STTNG table all on its lonesome, maybe more. Ditto Addams Family.

Petrae

I was hoping to score a PSP copy of this, but "settled" for the Wii version... and I couldn't be happier.

This game IS my childhood. Pinbot, Taxi, and Funhouse ate a ton of my tokens in the past, and being able to play them for free now (in a virtual sense) is awesome. I finally got the best of Gorgar after remembering dropping quarters on it over 20 years ago and maybe breaking 100K once. 500K+? Yes, please.

I really like the Wii controls. I was a bit nervous about this at first, as I prefer more traditional controls (like trigger buttons for flippers)... but Farsight Studios did well with these, and the nudge controls feel more natural with waggle.

I prefer this over the Gottlieb collection overall because of its table selection and because there seem to be fewer bugs (like questionable ball physics such as balls jumping over flippers regularly). For less than $20, you can't go wrong.

Bog

Junior Ace
Rented this for Wii at Blockbuster when I didn't think I'd be able to find it locally (though now I'm pissed since it's $20 at FYE). Man is this game addictive. Funhouse remains the greatest pinball machine of all time.

Whimsical Phil

Agent X said:
I agree. I went ahead and got the Wii version for myself yesterday. I initially had my heart set on the PSP version, and I still intend to get it at some point, but the Wii version turned out great. I was concerned about the implementation of motion controls on the Wii (sensitivity when nudging), but they did a good job of it.
The remote sensitivity was something that I was worried about, too. I was afraid that I'd have to keep my hands perfectly still to avoid tilting the machines. Luckily, you have to give the remote and/or nunchuk a pretty good shake before the nudges register.

Agent X said:
I noticed that too, and even mentioned it earlier in this thread. :) That was the first I had heard of a US release of the Wii version as well. I'd like to know if anyone's played it on Wii, and could comment on its quality (maybe in a new thread, so not to derail this one).
What? I'm supposed to remember posts from a week ago? :D

And good call. Perhaps I'll start an Impossible Mission thread (although I doubt anyone really cares about it).

Whimsical Phil said:
And good call. Perhaps I'll start an Impossible Mission thread (although I doubt anyone really cares about it).

I'm VERY interested, if you get an opportunity to share some thoughts about how it turned out.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
This is getting annoying -- I can't find it anywhere out here in northern California. The local FYE stopped carrying video games a few months agao, and it appears that Gamestop/EB doesn't even have it in their catalog.

I'll have to see if GameCrazy has it... does anyone know why Gamestop/EB isn't carrying this?

Whimsical Phil

DavidDayton said:
This is getting annoying -- I can't find it anywhere out here in northern California. The local FYE stopped carrying video games a few months agao, and it appears that Gamestop/EB doesn't even have it in their catalog.

I'll have to see if GameCrazy has it... does anyone know why Gamestop/EB isn't carrying this?
I assume you're looking for the Wii version? Try Target. I live in the East Bay outside of San Francisco and I saw that version at Target a couple days ago. They're only charging $20 for it, just like FYE.

wow I can't believe how great this is, especially for only 20 bucks!!! My gf and I were having a blast yesterday playing through all the tables. This is a keeper for sure!

Top Bottom