• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny pre-order materials leak [Up3: Box Art/Info, 360/PS3, Retailer Says Oct 6]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

I imagine it'll take the whole studio to ship the first game, and then I'd wager splinter teams of ODST proportions will split off to produce the yearly content expansions whilst the core group push forwards on the main followups.
That makes sense. Still a huge undertaking, my guess there will be tons of contractors involved too.

Raide

People insist that Destiny is MMO... but nothing but the contract indicating it is MMOFPS. The fact the game is coming to current consoles indicates it is not, lack of memory being the biggest issue.
Me, i reckon it is some sort metagame. That would allow sort of cross-platform system as well, no? If all stats are uploaded to Bungie.net..

I am hoping its a Large-scale Battlefield type game but with a massive amount of customisation, plus a larger focus on a variety of vehicles & classes.

Arnie

My main issue is this. The 360 and PS3 are not capable of doing anything impressive in an MMO universe. The technology is old. Very old. One year younger than World of Warcraft old.

I'm stopping you here. I quoted your earlier post and told you you'd made far too many assumptions, and you're doing it again.

Stop thinking of Destiny like you'd think of WoW, or even Planetside. We'll all see tomorrow, but these comments about it being an MMO, just because Bungie are interested in certain MMO elements are very wide of the mark, in my opinion.

That makes sense. Still a huge undertaking, my guess there will be tons of contractors involved too.
Certain Affinity? Or are they a part of Microsoft.

Kind of get the feeling Bungie will want to keep this in house, it's their new baby.

Woorloog

Banned
I am hoping its a Large-scale Battlefield type game but with a massive amount of customisation, plus a larger focus on a variety of vehicles & classes.

Large scale? How many players did BF3 have on consoles again? Not large scale by any means.
And i really doubt Bungie would sacrifice graphics, physics and AI for large scale game.
No, it is going to be something else.

Karl2177

What is this I am looking at and why is it so beautiful?

Translating an editor as powerful as something like that to consoles is no easy task, I don't think Trials Evolution or Far Cry have gotten it quite perfect but they're damn good for what they are.

Grognok. Bungie filed a trademark for it shortly after Reach released. This appeared in the hour ViDoc. In the menu bar, it says Grognok, and looks to be a type of terrain editor. There's also a 7th column symbol in the side menu, which would hint at a community creation tool. Hopefully we find out more on it tomorrow.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I'm interested in the reveal, but i'd be really bummed if all Bungie has got going on right now is another space FPS.

I'm sure it'll look and play great, but I can't help but wonder what kind of amazing stuff Bungie could create if they didn't decide to create another iteration of the same genre that they have been making for a decade.

Anyway, will probably play on PS3.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again.

I'll be extremely disappointed if this isn't released for the PC. I don't plan on buying the next-gen systems, and my PC is the only source of "next-gen" I'll have. Assuming Destiny is released cross-gen, playing it on the 360 would be really lame and likely limiting. And yes, I am a graphics whore.

That said, people who play on consoles know very little about MMO's. They do not understand the amazing, living, breathing worlds that currently exist on PC.

I have a gaming PC as well and you're doing a great job making it sound better than what they actually are.

I honestly think the current technology is to limiting of a factor to make this game impressive. That said, people who play on consoles know very little about MMO's. They do not understand the amazing, living, breathing worlds that currently exist on PC. So maybe they will be impressed with the product, but I am not holding my breath for it to knock my socks off. 360 and Ps3 are simply not capable.

Fucking lol.
Most MMOs really aren't that great.

TheOddOne

Certain Affinity? Or are they a part of Microsoft.

Kind of get the feeling Bungie will want to keep this in house, it's their new baby.
Possible, CA has been contracted by Activision before. But yeah, they will likely keep it in house (if production goes smoothly).

wwm0nkey

I am so fucking excited for this I could cry.

These images look incredible. Tomorrow can't come soon enough.

Been really excited for this since the O Brave New World Vidoc, so happy to see we will finally get to look at it tomorrow.

Changed my avatar due to hype.

My main issue is this. The 360 and PS3 are not capable of doing anything impressive in an MMO universe. The technology is old. Very old. One year younger than World of Warcraft old.

Blizzard stated during the last Blizzcon that actually happened, they debated about bringing wow to consoles, but the current consoles simply could not handle it.

As we all know, DCUO barely plays on consoles, and that game and universe is very restricted compared to what is out now, and what will be out in the future.

Planetside 2, an MMOFPS supporting 2000 players all fighting together at once on a big open sandbox planet, could never be done on current consoles.

I honestly think the current technology is to limiting of a factor to make this game impressive. That said, people who play on consoles know very little about MMO's. They do not understand the amazing, living, breathing worlds that currently exist on PC. So maybe they will be impressed with the product, but I am not holding my breath for it to knock my socks off. 360 and Ps3 are simply not capable.

I really don't think Destiny is going to be an MMO(in the traditional sense) or a massive multiplayer match like Planetside 2. I hate to use Bungie's advertisement wording, but they did say it'd be "genre-defining", and you don't make a new genre by copying another game. Based on the leaks and pre-order stuff, it seems like it'll be a mesh of FPS and MMO-like elements that hasn't been done before in any other game.

Casanova

More pictures!

photo5ui.jpg

photo4kcg.jpg

photo3sy.jpg

photo1zc.jpg

K, well I have a 360 but I'm sick of it. If this isn't at least getting released on PC I'm probably going to pass. Why shackle it only to old hardware? Most people always wanted to see what Bungie could do when they weren't tied down.

Edit: Of course it is possible that it hasn't been mentioned yet because it could be skipping retail.

Stark

Banned
K, well I have a 360 but I'm sick of it. If this isn't at least getting released on PC I'm probably going to pass. Why shackle it only to old hardware? Most people always wanted to see what Bungie could do when they weren't tied down.

Next-gen consoles were never ruled out. Don't know about PC, though.

Arnie

Edit: Of course it is possible that it hasn't been mentioned yet because it's skipping retail.

Either buy it on current generation consoles or wait for the (almost) inevitable next generation versions down the line. As has been pointed out, staffing up to release (and properly support) a PC release isn't always feasible.

I have a gaming PC as well and you're doing a great job making it sound better than what they actually are.

Agreed. I haven't played an MMO that really makes me feel like I'm part of an alternate, persistent world. I mean, technically those terms apply to all MMO's, but I haven't been totally engrossed in any MMO like I have with a standard RPG or a first-person gaming experience. I had crazy hopes for Huxley, but that became vaporware.

Actually, I played Star Wars: Galaxies. That's the only MMO I ever loved.

Either buy it on current generation consoles or wait for the (almost) inevitable next generation versions down the line. As has been pointed out, staffing up to release (and properly support) a PC release isn't always feasible.
I think it's more than feasible given the mountain of cash they probably got for development.

Arnie

I think it's more than feasible given the mountain of cash they probably got for development.

What about office space, team cohesion, time and group management?

It's not all about money. Staffing up to such an extent can be crippling, especially for a studio that's used to developing on one platform. Bungie needed to grow, but wanted to do so in a way that allowed them to retain what made the studio special.

Babysteps, perhaps down the line there'll be a PC version. Heck, there might even be one for launch, despite it not looking likely. If there isn't, though, there are very valid reasons for it, despite you not particularly liking them.

Casanova

Large scale? How many players did BF3 have on consoles again? Not large scale by any means.
And i really doubt Bungie would sacrifice graphics, physics and AI for large scale game.
No, it is going to be something else.

He means large scale as-in playable map size. ie. in Battlefield there was a very large map with several regions and an airspace for vehicle combat.

sangreal

People post all this preorder stuff but I post a few gifs showing already leaked concept art taken from of a video publicly available on Xbox.com and activisions lawyers call

What about office space, team cohesion, time and group management?

It's not all about money. Staffing up to such an extent can be crippling, especially for a studio that's used to developing on one platform. Bungie needed to grow, but wanted to do so in a way that allowed them to retain what made the studio special.

Babysteps, perhaps down the line there'll be a PC version. Heck, there might even be one for launch, despite it not looking likely. If there isn't, though, there are very valid reasons for it, despite you not particularly liking them.
As you so clearly put, I downright refuse to believe that it wasn't feasible. I have seen the points others have made, and while they are valid points for many studios, Bungie should not have had a problem targeting more than two platforms with a 4 year development time.

So yes, I don't believe it because it seems outrageous in this circumstance, not because the points don't make sense.

stktt

Banned
As you so clearly put, I downright refuse to believe that it wasn't feasible. I have seen the points others have made, and while they are valid points for many studios, Bungie should not have had a problem targeting more than two platforms with a 4 year development time.

So yes, I don't believe it because it seems outrageous in this circumstance, not because the points don't make sense.

What if Bungie is targeting more than two platforms?

Kyon

Banned

Blizzard stated during the last Blizzcon that actually happened, they debated about bringing wow to consoles, but the current consoles simply could not handle it.

As we all know, DCUO barely plays on consoles, and that game and universe is very restricted compared to what is out now, and what will be out in the future.

Planetside 2, an MMOFPS supporting 2000 players all fighting together at once on a big open sandbox planet, could never be done on current consoles.

Bye we all know there are only like 4-5 MMOs that are actually worth anyone's time. The other million samey MMOs are just shit tbh

Many are very very good. Just depends on what you like in a game.

Obviously it depends on what you like in a game but to claim that console owners "do not understand the amazing, living, breathing worlds that currently exist on PC" is extremely hyperbolic. It's also kinda ridiculous to claim that console owners might be impressed by Destiny just because WoW or any other hugely successful MMOs were PC only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom