• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jun14| Lu Lu Lala Lu

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I really hope you're not trying to downplay the fact that an 18 year old girl in high school got molested by her mother as 'consensual' because that would be a pretty messed up line of reasoning. It was rape, no quotation marks needed. Just because Satsuki didn't fight back against an authority figure that she trusted and has a blood bond to doesn't make it ok.

It's not a different beast, sexual abuse is sexual abuse and that topic is extremely upsetting to me. I'd rather it not be portrayed at all.

1) Spoiler tags

2)
If Satsuki is 18 (I honestly have no idea what her age is supposed to be by that point, and considering nobody looks or acts like their age in anime anyway it's a completely irrelevant point), then what's the problem beyond being just kind of gross? Her mother wasn't "an authority figure she trusted," she fucking hated her, didn't trust her in the slightest bit, AND she knew exactly what was going to happen. You're applying characterization to Satsuki here that wasn't in the show. In fact, the show was fairly direct about making it clear that this was something that Satsuki was a completely complicit and willing participant in (at least at this point).

The only way it becomes rape/molestation is if this is something that has been going on for a long time and, thus, began in an abusive manner. To be fair, there is the implication that that may well be the case, considering everything else we know about Ragyo, but as far as I can remember this is never definitively stated. All we really know is that Ragyo had been using her daughters for life fiber experimentation from a very young age. Which is really just all kinds of abuse, not (just) sexual.

SGiJ5kI.gif

Takashi

I was going to add my 2 cents on the Satsuki thing, but Crocodile summed it up way better than I could've.

KLK started off as a lighthearted show that satirized the whole fanservice trope. The whole show imo had been quite enjoyable and never took itself too seriously. I do remember thinking wtf at that scene. Unfortunately, the female on female dynamic did lessen the impact, though I know it shouldn't have and I'm not using that to defend it either. Ultimately, the show had plenty more going on for it than just those scenes, and if you removed them you would still have pretty much everything else that's of plot importance. In hindsight, it would've just been better to not include them entirely.

SAO, on the other hand, was a show that was trying its hardest for it and its characters to be taken seriously WHILE AT THE SAME TIME being as fanservicey as possible. At many points there were characters emoting and trying to get the audience to care for them while simultaneously showing a zoomed in tits/ass shot ffs. In regards to the rape/sexual abuse, that's part of the main plot for HALF the damn show. It wasn't just a very distasteful drop in quality like KLK, it's what drove the entire second half of the story, you can't remove that. Put that on top of being a show that tries sooo hard to make the audience care for it while dancing the anime/hentai line makes it utterly ridiculous.

Neither is defensible. KLK could've been just fine without it, but for SAO it's just part of its fucking identity.

1) Spoiler tags

2)
If Satsuki is 18 (I honestly have no idea what her age is supposed to be by that point, and considering nobody looks or acts like their age in anime anyway it's a completely irrelevant point), then what's the problem beyond being just kind of gross? Her mother wasn't "an authority figure she trusted," she fucking hated her, didn't trust her in the slightest bit, AND she knew exactly what was going to happen. You're applying characterization to Satsuki here that wasn't in the show. In fact, the show was fairly direct about making it clear that this was something that Satsuki was a completely complicit and willing participant in (at least at this point).

The only way it becomes rape/molestation is if this is something that has been going on for a long time and, thus, began in an abusive manner. To be fair, there is the implication that that may well be the case, considering everything else we know about Ragyo, but as far as I can remember this is never definitively stated. All we really know is that Ragyo had been using her daughters for life fiber experimentation from a very young age. Which is really just all kinds of abuse, not (just) sexual.

1. I didn't spoil anything, I think people will live knowing
Satsuki gets raped by her mom.
Oh no, series ruined!

2. It's hilarious that you're brushing away age using the argument 'oh well nobody looks like their age anyway so it's cool lol, who cares!?'. SHE'S 18 FUCKING YEARS OLD! I don't give a shit if 18 is the age of legal consent, does that automatically make it okay for an adult to grope? Are you magically able to make adult decisions at that age? Does that make it okay for a parent to violate a trust barrier? Get the hell out of here with that bullshit. Her mother was an authority figure she trusted; Satsuki
took orders
from her didn't she? She was raised by this person wasn't she? There is a bond established isn't there? Ragyo straight up
sexually assaults Satsuki and Mako
and it makes my blood boil that you're sitting here trying to downplay or defend this shit. I don't care if it's just a cartoon, I take this subject matter seriously.

Amikami

Banned
Toonami gaf has lost it's way.

Gucci Messiah, while I agree with you fully about the topic at hand (It's certainly a subject that should be treated more seriously even in animated media), I think it's still unfair of you to post that untagged. Spoilers are spoilers. I'm not trying to enter this debate. It's been covered. I'm not trying to backseat mod. And I don't think it contributes much to the overall storyline. I just think you determining what ruins the story doesn't matter. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Afro Luffy was the best part about that damn Long Long Island arc I had to live through.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I traded my ability to make Naruto gifs for the curse that no matter how witty the title I suggest for the thread it will never make it to the big show.

Tenumi

Banned
So... Any predicition on ratings? I'm expecting a little lower this week due to the holiday weekend, so probably a 1.1 mil for AOT and low 1/ high 900,000 for Cooler's Revenge.

Amikami

Banned
Oh right, we'll get the rating Wednesday instead of today, huh? Ratings are probably definitely going to take a hit because of the holiday. Too bad. I was thinking dragon ball Z might trigger some higher ratings. Guess we'll see.

World's Trigger the next "big" shonen jump fight series (magazine that brought us dbz, one piece, naruto, bleach, and ygo) just had an anime adaptation announced today. It was the first manga series to be simultaneously released world wide officially through Viz's digital shonen jump magazine. Seems like it could become a potential Toonami series in 2015

Oh right, we'll get the rating Wednesday instead of today, huh? Ratings are probably definitely going to take a hit because of the holiday. Too bad. I was thinking dragon ball Z might trigger some higher ratings. Guess we'll see.
Yeah. Memorial Day delay.

I'm expecting somewhat below average ratings for that 1 hour timeslot and a below average night. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I hope you don't think this is too off-topic, but ToonamiGAF is my second home on the internet so I hope you'll hear me out a bit. My mom's birthday is coming up and I can't decide on what to get for her. Here's the deal: she recently got into extreme couponing. You know, binders and plastic sleeves for coupons and stacking coupons and stuff. She's really into it. And she told me that the only thing she needs to go to the next level of couponing is a printer so she can print online coupons instead of having to go to her friend's house to get them. So, I was thinking I could buy her a small printer so that she could go nuts. The thing is, to me that would be the equivalent of getting a kid some socks for his birthday. Sure, it is technically something useful but it's also a boring ass gift. Do you guys think I should go for it or should I get her something cooler like a movie or a new watch or something? I'd really rather not end up like the dude from Father of the Bride when he got his fiancee a juicer.

789shadow

Banned
I hope you don't think this is too off-topic, but ToonamiGAF is my second home on the internet so I hope you'll hear me out a bit. My mom's birthday is coming up and I can't decide on what to get for her. Here's the deal: she recently got into extreme couponing. You know, binders and plastic sleeves for coupons and stacking coupons and stuff. She's really into it. And she told me that the only thing she needs to go to the next level of couponing is a printer so she can print online coupons instead of having to go to her friend's house to get them. So, I was thinking I could buy her a small printer so that she could go nuts. The thing is, to me that would be the equivalent of getting a kid some socks for his birthday. Sure, it is technically something useful but it's also a boring ass gift. Do you guys think I should go for it or should I get her something cooler like a movie or a new watch or something? I'd really rather not end up like the dude from Father of the Bride when he got his fiancee a juicer.
Save her from herself by burning her coupons.

People have a huge tendency to give people things that are extravagant but that they don't need for holidays, birthdays, etc. in the short term these sort of gifts are pretty nice, but are in no way needed or practical.Society actually encourages us to give out these sorta gifts too, and the question has to be asked, who is it about when we give these kind of gifts? ourselves or the person in question?Then again particular for birthdays and stuff some people don't want practicality (they'd much prefer to just buy the practical stuff themselves), ultimately it's wholly dependent on what type of person she is.
With something like a printer, i don't recall many that aren't sorta cheap (at most the price of a video game) and couldn't be supplemented by something else. Also with a printer it has to be remembered ink is freaking expensive and she may prefer the costs of going to her friends to print out stuff versus having a printer of her own in the long term.

*wal-mart electronics sales associate powers activate*

Does your mom have a smart phone, tablet, or laptop? If she has any of those you could look into getting her a nice wireless printer so that she'll be able to quickly print coupons from anywhere in the house if she finds them or is sent them from friends or websites. Perhaps looking into getting her a cheap tablet as well, not really sure what your budget was but you could get her a cheap tablet and a wireless printer for ~$150

Amikami

Banned
Yeah, I was gunna say, by the time she finishes buying the ink to print out all those coupons she might not have saved much.

Hrm. You guys make some compelling arguments. But other than the printer I have no thoughts on what to get for her. Her hobbies include watching television and watching television.

I avoid all this by subtly asking people what they want through proxies and/or so far in advance they eventually forget they ever told me.

Hrm. You guys make some compelling arguments. But other than the printer I have no thoughts on what to get for her. Her hobbies include watching television and watching television.

Go back to my "does she own a tablet" question, if she doesn't (and she likes watching TV) tablet would still be a nice gift for her to watch stuff on the go.

ckohler

I...So, I was thinking I could buy her a small printer so that she could go nuts. The thing is, to me that would be the equivalent of getting a kid some socks for his birthday. Sure, it is technically something useful but it's also a boring ass gift. Do you guys think I should go for it or should I get her something cooler like a movie or a new watch or something?

I see nothing wrong with a printer as a gift. My family is practical with gifts so if it's something we want and need we prefer that over something sentimental and less useful.

We're veering way off-topic here so...can anyone talk about how different Kai is from the old DBZ? I hardly remember the original so I'm not sure if I'll even notice. New voice cast, right?

Get the printer, throw in a movie if you can afford it.
I was also thinking of something along these lines.

I avoid all this by subtly asking people what they want through proxies and/or so far in advance they eventually forget they ever told me.
It's too close to her birthday for that. She'll know something's up.

Go back to my "does she own a tablet" question, if she doesn't (and she likes watching TV) tablet would still be a nice gift for her to watch stuff on the go.
I dont think she's technologically proficient enough for a tablet. I tried explaining to her how to use the Netflix on the PS3 and she got mad at me when she didn't get it. lol

electronics are so hit or miss with people old people or certain relatives that I don't even both attempting as gifts. As for me I hate all the guesswork and just give lists and prefer if others told me what they want ahead of time as well. Don't wait till the last minute, both financially and in terms of thinking of something. (expect that one time i got my sister a watch last minute cause I already knew she really liked watches).

LOLDSFAN

A printer isn't a boring gift!!!

I remember when we got our first printer with a scanner and it was the coolest thing ever.

Not just coupons, but there are hundreds of other reasons to use a printer. Forms, directions, ingredients, pictures, etc...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Does she watch that show "Extreme Couponing"? Maybe if that's on DVD or available for download, could get that. Though might give her ideas on further couponing.

I kind of get what you're getting at though. I just bought my dad a poster for Father's Day because I want to make up for the fact I couldn't afford something last year since I had no source of income. I think he's at the age where he prefers practical gifts (he sometimes prefers giving me those as gifts now that I'm an adult), as one year I got him a knife set for Xmas & he was rather happy with it (we still use it about a year or so later).

I would say perhaps do both, if your budget allows it. Get her something that'll be helpful/useful, but also something fun as a second gift (or if possible, combines them). My dad has a bunch of old pictures on the walls, but he also likes guitars, so I figured by getting a poster with a ton of guitars, the models, years, who used them, etc. would both be something that looks nice on his wall, but something that he'll like because it relates to his hobby.

I'd say that while a printer may seem "boring", she'll most likely get more use out of it & might remember it more. As long as she's happy with it, I think that's what matters most.

I see nothing wrong with a printer as a gift. My family is practical with gifts so if it's something we want and need we prefer that over something sentimental and less useful.

We're veering way off-topic here so...can anyone talk about how different Kai is from the old DBZ? I hardly remember the original so I'm not sure if I'll even notice. New voice cast, right?

There are some recasts here and there (Gohan and Frieza are the main ones off the top of my head) but the main difference is a more natural, faithful script on the voice front. In general, the pacing is much, much faster and there's no filler.

MikeMyers

Actually, there's some filler left in Kai.

Example include Ginyu-Bulma, Dr. Gero's beatdown on Krillin, Krillin fighting Imperfect Cell, and Krillin's failure to use the Destructo Disk on Perfect Cell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom