• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jun14| Lu Lu Lala Lu

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Seriously, dude? You've listed numerous pretty huge spoilers from the second half of a show that's not even on Toonami in plain view. I'm not sure how you think you're in the right about that or what about any of the billion Toonami threads we've had makes you think that's an okay way to go about it or how you think your self-righteousness somehow justifies it.

Two:
Regarding the age thing, if she's 18 then she's of legal age and that makes her age a total non-factor here, at least for anything that is actually shown in the show. The blood relation, on the other hand, IS an issue, which is completely independent of whether Satsuki is 8 or 80. But that blood relation is also a NIGH-INVULNERABLE ALIEN WORSHIPER CAPABLE OF MIND CONTROL AND BREATHING IN SPACE. She's almost literally a monster in a show with virtually no grounding in reality at all. She does monstrous things. Nobody is saying it's totally fucking rad that she gropes Satsuki and shit, and the show doesn't treat it like it's a positive thing. If it showed that scene in such a way that was like "fuck yeah, this is awesome! hot mom on daughter lesbo action!!!!!" that would be a huge problem, but it's presented as straight up sinister and creepy, as it should. If you somehow read it differently, that seems to be an issue with the viewer, not the show.

Done with this unproductive line of conversation, other than to say that if you can't see the difference between Sword Art Online's male gaze power fantasy and Kill la Kill's blatant and not-at-all-subtle skewering of fanservice tropes, you might need a new hobby.

Seriously, dude? You've listed numerous pretty huge spoilers from the second half of a show that's not even on Toonami in plain view. I'm not sure how you think you're in the right about that or what about any of the billion Toonami threads we've had makes you think that's an okay way to go about it or how you think your self-righteousness somehow justifies it.

Two:
Regarding the age thing, if she's 18 then she's of legal age and that makes her age a total non-factor here, at least for anything that is actually shown in the show. The blood relation, on the other hand, IS an issue, which is completely independent of whether Satsuki is 8 or 80. But that blood relation is also a NIGH-INVULNERABLE ALIEN WORSHIPER CAPABLE OF MIND CONTROL AND BREATHING IN SPACE. She's almost literally a monster in a show with virtually no grounding in reality at all. She does monstrous things. Nobody is saying it's totally fucking rad that she gropes Satsuki and shit, and the show doesn't treat it like it's a positive thing. If it showed that scene in such a way that was like "fuck yeah, this is awesome! hot mom on daughter lesbo action!!!!!" that would be a huge problem, but it's presented as straight up sinister and creepy, as it should. If you somehow read it differently, that seems to be an issue with the viewer, not the show.

Done with this unproductive line of conversation, other than to say that if you can't see the difference between Sword Art Online's male gaze power fantasy and Kill la Kill's blatant and not-at-all-subtle skewering of fanservice tropes, you might need a new hobby.

First of all, I haven't posted 'numerous pretty huge spoilers' so lay off the hyperbole. The "spoiler" I posted was minor. Did I ruin Kill La Kill by mentioning that there is rape/molestation? Not in my opinion and only ONE person spoke out and said they had a problem with it. Now, I was heated yesterday responding to your foolishness (and it looks like I'm headed down that same path already today) but apologized to Amikami, went back, and tagged certain things to accommodate other users who may not feel the same way I do. You can stop complaining about it now.

Secondly, there is no if she's 18, that's her freaking age. Check the wiki, it's not a hard thing to do unless you're lazy.

Your continued stance of 'Oh well she's 18 and technically legal, who cares if she got molested, it's a non-factor' is not only EXTREMELY offensive, but also straight up stupid. Seriously, words cannot describe how fucked up in the head you have to be to try and rationalize physical, emotional, or sexual abuse through some arbitrary age limit. I have no idea why you think the moment a woman turns 18 she's fair game and that rape or molestation flies out the window. Just because
Satsuki didn't say 'Stop fondling me'
doesn't mean that there was consent, do you have ANY clue how abusive relationships work? I bet you're the type of person who doesn't think a husband can rape their wife either.

The fact that
her mother was the predator
makes things even worse. I don't give a shit if she's capable of
mind control or breathing in space;
what the HELL does that have to do with the fact that she not only
raped her daughter,
but also
molested Ryuko
? Yes she's a monster but that doesn't excuse the fact that the lazy-ass writing team threw in sexual abuse in an attempt to show just how 'evil' the antagonist is. The execution was poor and such serious subject matter seemed out of place in what is largely a lighthearted
battle
show.

I've seen in real life how sexual abuse perpetrated by a family member can destroy a person. This is real shit we're talking about and just because the subject matter is presented in animated form doesn't mean that it shouldn't be taken seriously and portrayed in a responsible manner. Instead of telling somebody who takes a hard stance against the portrayal of abusive relationships in entertainment to 'find a new hobby', you might want to see a health care professional because normal people don't think that way. You come off to me as desensitized/creepy and your comments are very upsetting. SAO and KLK BOTH do a terrible job handling the topic at hand and hiding behind 'oh well it's fanservice' doesn't sit well with me.

daveo42

Banned
Can we just skip Kill la Kill and get JoJo on Toonami?

Don't lose your poooooose!

tumblr_mm2x7gOAG21qmbp9no1_500.gif

HxH needs to be on that list too there Raxus. For shame.

bigkrev

Also, when Capcom re-licensed JoJo to put the Dreamcast game out on XBLA and PSN last year, they needed to charge 20 dollars for the game instead of the usual 10. I don't think JoJo is getting licensed anytime soon

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
At the very least, Part 1 & 2 probably wouldn't deal with a ton of name changes, but if Part 3, the most famous one, gets licensed, judging by what Namco changed, that might be more of an issue, but I guess we'll have to see what Crunchyroll does later on in the series.

Also, when Capcom re-licensed JoJo to put the Dreamcast game out on XBLA and PSN last year, they needed to charge 20 dollars for the game instead of the usual 10. I don't think JoJo is getting licensed anytime soon
Yeah, that was a huge blow to the game. I understand that licensing probably wasn't cheap & they had to set it to that amount to make up for it, but still, considering most other games were $10 or $15, it just felt rather expensive, especially since it didn't have the Super Story Mode from the console versions.

...at least they did a better job with the name changes. Cool Ice, Namco? Ya changed Vanilla Ice, a music reference, to Cool Ice, a reference to a movie BASED ON SAID MUSIC REFERENCE?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
What I don't get was changing Polnareff to Eiffel, especially since the Crunchyroll subs didn't change it, and he's never had his named changed in previous translations (the game, the OVA and the Viz manga).

Also, they changed Josuke's Crazy Diamond to Shining Diamond. Not only is it still a Pink Floyd reference, it's a reference to the same Pink Floyd song! Just... what?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, that was....weird. Even stranger, Gold Experience, a Prince song, was changed to "Golden Wind" based on the name of Part 5, but Soft & Wet, another Prince song, was left alone.

Also funny is the fact in one intro for a Story Mode battle, Crazy Diamond is still mentioned in the subtitles.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Yeah, that was....weird. Even stranger, Gold Experience, a Prince song, was changed to "Golden Wind" based on the name of Part 5, but Soft & Wet, another Prince song, was left alone.

Also funny is the fact in one intro for a Story Mode battle, Crazy Diamond is still mentioned in the subtitles.

I remember seeing Crazy Diamond in the subtitles at one point.

Similar to the Prince example you mentioned.
Jolyene's Stand was changed from Stone Free (a Jimi Hendrix song) to Stone Ocean (the name of Part 6). Yet Pannacotta Fugo's Stand, Purple Haze (another Jimi Hendrix song) remains unchanged.

That would be the nice thing about an official dub for JoJo is that we wouldn't have to deal with a character saying one name and the sub saying another

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Similar to the Prince example you mentioned.
Jolyene's Stand was changed from Stone Free (a Jimi Hendrix song) to Stone Ocean (the name of Part 6). Yet Pannacotta Fugo's Stand, Purple Haze (another Jimi Hendrix song) remains unchanged.
It was actually changed to Purple Smoke. Even says it on the PS Store.

But what confuses me even more is why something like Weather Report had to be changed to Weather Forecast & Echoes to Reverb. Like, what was wrong with "Echoes"? I think it's vague enough that Pink Floyd wasn't gonna sue. Heck, call it "Echo" if you changed "Bites The Dust" to "Bite the Dust".

Crocodile

The Jojo's naming issues confuse me. I wouldn't even know most of them were music references unless I was told. Does that make me uncultured swine? I also can't imagine why the artists would even care except for maybe merchandising? Like I guess if I were selling an Aerosmith shirt but it wasn't related to the band and instead had that guy from Part 5 on it I guess that would be super awkward? Within the context of the series or the videogames themselves it would seem like a big non-issue right?

789shadow

Banned
The Jojo's naming issues confuse me. I wouldn't even know most of them were music references unless I was told. Does that make me uncultured swine? I also can't imagine why the artists would even care except for maybe merchandising? Like I guess if I were selling an Aerosmith shirt but it wasn't related to the band and instead had that guy from Part 5 on it I guess that would be super awkward? Within the context of the series or the videogames themselves it would seem like a big non-issue right?
The lawyers for the artists care.

daveo42

Banned
Closest to me is still over an hour away. I could go to Columbus, but work the next morning would be absolute hell. I think I'll be fine with sitting at home watching the stream on my PC with my ice cold brews and pizza.

as an ohio resident, and OSU fan, I don't blame them

it's just the "state up north" to me, no name

I agree with this statement.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Michigan apparently doesn't exist to Sony. That's fine, I prefer the comfort of my own home.
Seriously, it's bad enough the closest Best Buy to me, which is 30 minutes away, isn't doing the SSB demo (all 3 of the cities doing it are 2 hours away), but then I read this & don't even seen MI included.

Man, we live in the state where nothing cool happens.

Okay, I don't know the context of the episodes or whatever, but no matter that, a couple of those sentences are going a little too far with the discussion here. Let's cool off on the personal jabs. Focus on the shows.

I'm not going to be silenced or restrained when it comes to something I feel strongly about, especially when I'm offended, we all know I wear my heart on my sleeve. You know what's going too far, Seda? Dismissing victims of sexual abuse and using an age loophole to rationalize your thought process. I stand by every single last statement I made and will continue to do so. If you don't like my response to something that honestly makes me irate due to having real world experience with the situation at hand, then start deleting posts or ban me because I'm going to call out stupidity when I see it. You might think I'm blowing this out of proportion or whatever but this is something that I take very, very seriously and if the attitude of this community is to brush that kind of thing under the rug, I'm not sure I want to participate anymore.

Seda

I'm not going to be silenced or restrained when it comes to something I feel strongly about, especially when I'm offended, we all know I wear my heart on my sleeve. You know what's going too far, Seda? Dismissing victims of sexual abuse and using an age loophole to rationalize your thought process. I stand by every single last statement I made and will continue to do so. If you don't like my response to something that honestly makes me irate due to having real world experience with the situation at hand, then start deleting posts or ban me because I'm going to call out stupidity when I see it. You might think I'm blowing this out of proportion or whatever but this is something that I take very, very seriously and if the attitude of this community is to brush that kind of thing under the rug, I'm not sure I want to participate anymore.

I think a discussion about sexual abuse in media is one worth having, going by episode 24 of Sword Art Online and what I imagine about Kill la Kill. Unfortunately I haven't seen Kill la Kill so I can't contribute hard thoughts on that because I can only go by what I imagine happens.

However, comments like "I bet you're the type of person who doesn't think a husband can rape their wife either." aren't necessary at all. All I mean is to shift talk to the events in the show: their tone, their purpose for being there, how it resolves, character intentions, etc. More about that and less jabs at each other's moral character.

For example, I think your comment "
Just because Satsuki didn't say 'Stop fondling me' doesn't mean that there was consent
" is perfectly valid.

I think a discussion about sexual abuse in media is one worth having, going by episode 24 of Sword Art Online and what I imagine about Kill la Kill. Unfortunately I haven't seen Kill la Kill so I can't contribute hard thoughts on that because I can only go by what I imagine happens.

However, comments like "I bet you're the type of person who doesn't think a husband can rape their wife either." aren't necessary at all. All I mean is to shift talk to the events in the show: their tone, their purpose for being there, how it resolves, character intentions, etc. More about that and less jabs at each other's moral character.

For example, I think your comment "
Just because Satsuki didn't say 'Stop fondling me' doesn't mean that there was consent
" is perfectly valid.

Maybe I went too far taking a jab at moral character, but it is very hard for me to filter my thoughts and emotions when it comes to sexual abuse and its portrayal in the media when I have real world experience; it hits a little too close to home and gets me all kinds of worked up.

What I type here are in toonami gaf are my own raw opinions, I don't sugar coat things in an effort to make sure everybody likes me or that feelings aren't hurt. I tend to toe that 'don't be a dick' line which some people like, and other people hate. What I can say though is that I don't post aggressively or call anybody out without reasonable cause.

I probably need to take a break because this whole conversation is really leaving a sour taste in my mouth.

Tenumi

Banned
Seriously, it's bad enough the closest Best Buy to me, which is 30 minutes away, isn't doing the SSB demo (all 3 of the cities doing it are 2 hours away), but then I read this & don't even seen MI included.

Man, we live in the state where nothing cool happens.

Closest Best Buy to me is about 20 minutes away, closest one doing the SSB demo is 2.5 hours away, and that's the Ann Arbor one.

Kinda surprised DBZ outdrew AOT, to be honest.

Gorillaz

People still go out of town during memorial day weekend, so that is probably a factor.I almost did.

If that's BE then......Black Lagoon ratings am cry?

Seda

Sooo.. DBZ better than AoT confirmed?
kappa

I seriously just googled kappa - I knew its use due to context but never any idea how it came about or references.

The main symbol/emote of Twitch.tv. It represents sarcasm, irony, puns, jokes, and trolls alike. If you see this term used outside of Twitch.tv, then this is not the correct definition. Usually used at the end of an ironic or sarcastic sentence. Sentences that contain a Kappa should not be taken seriously. If you search "Kappa Twitch.tv" in Google you can see what the emote looks like, and why it is used as it is. (Sentences that use Kappa do not always have to make sense.)

that clears that up i guess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom