• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1Up Show 7.2 (Silent Hill 5, Skate, The Orange Box)

brandonh83 said:
I just watched

I just watched

oh my god

oh my god

I want my jar of dirt

4q37oes.png
4q37oes.png
4q37oes.png
4q37oes.png

how come the female 1up girl always looks and sounds like someone told her a really funny joke once and she still hasnt recovered from it :p

FartOfWar

Banned
Gizmo_Monkey said:
how come the female 1up girl always looks and sounds like someone told her a really funny joke once and she still hasnt recovered from it :p

Can someone make kathleen's title "female 1up girl "

Gizmo_Monkey said:

Calls for a custom tag.

Btw, Shawn, I think he's talking about Jennifer Tsao.

hafdogg

Is there an ETA on 1up Yours? I have a 4 hour drive soon and my wife is pissed I keep delaying the departure time...if she knew it was for this she would divorce me :(

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Okay, the SH5 transitions need to be WAY more over the top. I've watched them thrice now and I want like rust, blood, and stuff shooting out of the walls. The paint peeling away is a great, great start, and the Silent Hill sirens are godly, but I want like blood coming from the walls a la SH3.

KTallguy

Banned
Half Life 2: GET (Steam though :p)

Silent Hill 5... hmmm I'm kind of skeptical that they'll really pull it off. At first, when they started talking about combat options I was a bit worried that they'd make the main character too powerful. But then they mentioned making the enemies kill you in two hits, and making sure that you're still afraid. That definitely made me feel better.

SKATE: Looks great, not my kind of game but I'm sure it will at least challenge Tony Hawk a bit. I wonder which one will sell more...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Y2Kev said:
Okay, the SH5 transitions need to be WAY more over the top. I've watched them thrice now and I want like rust, blood, and stuff shooting out of the walls. The paint peeling away is a great, great start, and the Silent Hill sirens are godly, but I want like blood coming from the walls a la SH3.

Silent Hill 3, artistically (and PS2-wise maybe also technically for some things like facial animation, lighting, and shadowing that it did so well), might be one of those rare gems you seldom see.

Y2Kev said:

maybe the further the game progresses the more screwed up they get? At least I hope.

I also hope there's more variety and not just the 'rust and steel' look from SH1, 3, and Origins. I really, really liked the bizarre stained-sheets otherworld from SH2.

hafdogg said:
Is there an ETA on 1up Yours? I have a 4 hour drive soon and my wife is pissed I keep delaying the departure time...if she knew it was for this she would divorce me :(

:lol 1up Yours: We'll Make Your Wife Divorce You!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
KTallguy said:
Half Life 2: GET (Steam though :p)

Silent Hill 5... hmmm I'm kind of skeptical that they'll really pull it off. At first, when they started talking about combat options I was a bit worried that they'd make the main character too powerful. But then they mentioned making the enemies kill you in two hits, and making sure that you're still afraid. That definitely made me feel better.

SKATE: Looks great, not my kind of game but I'm sure it will at least challenge Tony Hawk a bit. I wonder which one will sell more...

They'll have to work hard to balance the gameplay and the game's length: if the game is too reliant on mastering the combat gameplay it might mean a very short and not scary game for those who are not into action games, who are not good at mastering combat in the game and turn the difficulty down to be able to progress in the game.

Remember Collective, remember that, SH1, SH2, and SH3 were GREAT and SCARY even when you toned the combat's difficulty down to the lowest level... atmosphere, music, sounds, characters, story ... these are all elements they must get RIGHT even without factoring in the combat.

Combat, make it as good as you want, needs to be the ICING on the cake, not the REDEEMING factor!

Remember, you could have started working on another game, YOU chose SH!

fucking gamevideos at the very least make streaming work I'm tired of using this piece of shit site it stops playback every two seconds

Panajev2001a just nailed it.

Well said.
Hopefully some The Collective spies are here and taking notes.
It would be a shame if they were just watching/listening to the morons on the Silent Hill Forums...

Mrbob

MickeyKnox said:
Episode 2 looks fucking ass on 360, framerate was pretty unacceptable.

I thought so too. Voice clips were also tinny. But Ryan did say the the game looked and ran well.

Hmm Alex Shepard is pretty damn cute...

Oh and Shane is losing his hair >.<!

EDIT: I agree that the transitions need to be more dramatic, but from footage I've seen, they seem to be going in the right direction. I did NOT like that we saw who pushed the wheelchair down the stairs. That looked completely forced and way too intentional. The fact that the kid was there waiting, his model just standing there, bah.

Mrbob said:
I thought so too. Voice clips were also tinny. But Ryan did say the the game looked and ran well.

I don't think we saw a direct feed... as you said the voices sounded off, like there was an echo in the room.

What's the dillio?

Thank GOD SH5 has a chance to be good. After its "debut" and then hearing all the news it was being handed off to other american developers i really felt the franchise was doomed.

But seeing it in this show has renewed my hope that the game will be good. At the very least the soundtrack will rock :D I got real concerned when they were talking about the combat that it was heading down that RE4 path, which i really didn't want for SH. You can't have a SH game where the character is too powerful, or the gameplay too action oriented. You gotta keep those stretches of quiet unnerving dread.

And oh how i love Half-life. Seeing new footage of half-life must be like what how the halo diehards feel like seeing some new set of trivial screenshots. Even the no-nothing moments of the footage made me smile. Just to see new footage of the world, and hearing the sound affects, and seeing one of the greatest videogame characters ever (Alyx!!!) again.

I'm actually thinking of buying the 360 version, and then TF2 on the PC via steam. I'm really wanting to replay all of HL2 again, and on my new HDTV, with a much better surround sound setup. That could be a lot of fun :D

Mrbob said:
Well hopefully what he played wasn't what we saw cause that was sub-par, if this was outsourced to some 3rd tier developer then I would fully expect it to look like shit (does NOT bode well for the PS3 version)but for a Valve production this is pretty disappointing.

Kimi

todayzee said:
haha! She's a better actress than any of us. She loves dressing up, but they keep the AC in this place on high during the week. I'm pretty sure it has slowed our aging, but Minnie is often chilly. But, trust me, she's well cared for. :)

xxoo

Minnie was the star of this episode. Nina and Josh highly enjoyed it.

KTallguy

Banned
Panajev2001a said:
Combat, make it as good as you want, needs to be the ICING on the cake, not the REDEEMING factor!

Remember, you could have started working on another game, YOU chose SH!

Hmm, I wouldn't go THAT far, but for Silent Hill, the key elements are:

1. Atmosphere that promotes fear. That means not being able to see everything around you at all times, horrific and slightly confusing level design, cool visual effects (which they seem to have nailed down).
2. Grotesque and genuinely scary enemies.
3. Puzzles with interesting and frightening themes.
4. Combat mechanics.

Combat needs to be in there, but I don't play Silent Hill thinking "oh shit I can't wait to get the rocket launcher".

Also the HL2 on 360 wasn't really locked at 30fps right? Man I fear for the PS3 version, it'll probably look like shit :(

blame space said:
It's the coolest-looking receding hairline since Matt Skiba.

I dare not lie, he still is hawt.

We still need to see more on Silent Hill V, right now its looking like SH3 with a different lead character.

Kweh said:
Out of interest, why didn't they show off the PC version of Orange Box?
Because Vavle doesn't have to do shit to for the PC version of it's games to sell well so from a business point of view getting the console crowd turned onto the franchise is far more important.

Aalyx

There are some things you can't unsee...that Patrick (?) scene is one of them :lol

Anyway, Silent Hill 5 looks incredible, Skate looks great (PS3 Demo please?) and I'm buying the Orange Box for PC anyway so...

traveler

Not Wario
Silent Hill 5 looked pretty promising in concept and gameplay, but the graphics could use some more work. It doesn't look bad by any means, but it could easily look quite a bit better.

This is the first footage I've actuall watched of Skate. I suck at just about every button combo driven extreme sports title, but I'm downloading the demo for it now.

The Orange Box, as always, looks to be one of the best packages of this fall. (And this is coming from someone who thinks HL2 is a good, but not phenomenal game) Love the more open sections of Episode 2, the Hunters look awesome, and TF2 will be the yin to Halo 3's yang in my multiplayer gaming sessions this fall. (I will play and enjoy both, Shawn. :p) Framerate still looks a little weak (despite Ryan's claims to the contrary) but it's not bad. I did have one question about the package based on the footage I saw: was that the highest look sensitivity available for TF2 in the footage? The player was turning about pretty slow. (And I'm saying this as someone who plays console FPSes all the time)

Gizmo_Monkey said:

Are you sure you aren't talking about the male 1up girl?

FrankT

Unless they put Episode 2 on Steam by itself it's a no sell for me. I'm not rebuying Half Life 2 again for TF2 because I really couldn't care less about it or portal for that matter.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
Jtyettis said:
Unless they put Episode 2 on Steam by itself it's a no sell for me. I'm not rebuying Half Life 2 again for TF2 because I really couldn't care less about it or portal for that matter.

Pretty sure you can do that.

fallout

binaryburrito said:
I know you guys love the speeds you get from our old servers, so I've convinced some people to let me keep putting a few of the files there for you guys... but I don't know how long that will last. That said, the GV servers should be fine... as long as you live in the US, that is :(
Well, I guess I may as well do this at least once, then (<3 university campus connection).

1upshowdl.png

Jtyettis said:
Shawn has said that they'll be putting The Orange Box into a bunch of different combinations on Steam.

GhaleonQ

Since Skate's create-a-playe seems to be terrible, I'll scratch that off of my list, but the other 2 look like they'll be fantastic.

TheJollyCorner said:
Panajev2001a just nailed it.

Well said.
Hopefully some The Collective spies are here and taking notes.
It would be a shame if they were just watching/listening to the morons on the Silent Hill Forums...

They are.
They are not.

Top Bottom