• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Apr |OT| Presented By Unicef and Feed The Children, Fuk Yo Hunger Clown.

Things were supposed to be getting better for TV broadcasters this quarter…. NBC Universal (NYSE: GE), essentially a footnote in parent General Electric’s quarterly earnings until its merger with cable giant Comcast (NSDQ: CMCSA) gets approved, performed worse this past quarter than it did last year. The network’s profits were down 49 percent, while revenues fell 18 percent — compare that to last year’s 45 percent profit decline and the mere 2 percent revenue drop. The numbers are a bit surprising, considering that many forecasters had expected broadcast TV to benefit from the ad spending rebound. However, the company had warned that it would lose at least $200 million on the Winter Olympics, so that probably accounts for some of Q1′s pain. Typically, GE, which currently owns about 80 percent of NBCU, points out that broadcast side’s weakness is offset by the cable channel’s strengths. Those details usually come out during the call at 8:30 am ET. The webcast is available here.

Yeah, all that profit.

Companies overshoot all the time.

if you think their end game is to lose money then i have bridge to sell ya.

Of course their end game isn't.

but neither was Blockbuster's....
or Border's..

or Best Buy's...

or Hostess...

Even these big companies often don't know what the fuck they are doing. A lot still operate on theories from long ago that probably don't hold true. And there is a lot of ego involved, too.

NBC gambles and loses.

So do movie studios. Look at John Carter of Mars.

Emwitus

or Border's..

or Best Buy's...

or Hostess...

Even these big companies often don't know what the fuck they are doing. A lot still operate on theories from long ago that probably don't hold true. And there is a lot of ego involved, too.

So they were trying to make a profit and failed?

or Border's..

or Best Buy's...

or Hostess...

NBC gambles and loses.

So do movie studios. Look at John Carter of Mars.

Yeah but when Disney was negotiating with the stars and directors of John Carter of Mars, they weren't saying "We're not going to pay you work on this movie because we don't anticipate it making any money"

So they were trying to make a profit and failed?

Yes. Just like NBC (they realization they were going lose money came well after they signed the deal. They signed it hoping to make money, just failed to do so).

Bidding for services often ends disastrous. There's a joke in game theory about bidding that the winner always loses because he knows less than everyone else.

Yeah but when Disney was negotiating with the stars and directors of John Carter of Mars, they weren't saying "We're not going to pay you work on this movie because we don't anticipate it making any money"

Does NBC employ the Olympic Athletes?

More like stars coming out for the katrina telathon asking to be paid for their appearance. edit: more like, not exactly like it. Point is NBC/Coke/Nike are licensing the product as a 3rd party. The USOC, a non-profit org, is employing them.

Is it too much to ask to frigging provide some proof?

This is some Iraq war crap right here. "It's all about the oil brah. If you don't believe me you've already been brainwashed, your game over man."
Exactly

Its easy to spew shit, especially if it seems plausible. Again, I have yet to see any sources on any of this shit

Here is a story on the olympics in atlanta. Revenue came in too fast and too strong and they squandered it.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Atlantas-Olympic-Benefit-Went-to-the-Dogs-60032607.html

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/dave_zirin/01/25/vancouver/

Vancouver.

"The original cost estimate was $660 million in public money. It's now at an admitted $6 billion and steadily climbing. An early economic impact statement was that the games could bring in $10 billion. Price Waterhouse Coopers just released their own study showing that the total economic impact will be more like $1 billion. In addition, the Olympic Village came in $100 million over budget and had to be bailed out by the city.
Security was estimated at $175 million and the final cost will exceed $1 billion. These budget overruns are coinciding with drastic cuts to city services. On my first day in town, the cover of the local paper blared cheery news about the Games on the top flap, while a headline announcing the imminent layoff off 800 teachers was much further down the page."

Superbowls can often have the same effect. As can building a stadium for just an sports team. The economics of such venues are not a straight forward as people think it to be.

Emwitus

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/dave_zirin/01/25/vancouver/

Vancouver.

"The original cost estimate was $660 million in public money. It's now at an admitted $6 billion and steadily climbing. An early economic impact statement was that the games could bring in $10 billion. Price Waterhouse Coopers just released their own study showing that the total economic impact will be more like $1 billion. In addition, the Olympic Village came in $100 million over budget and had to be bailed out by the city.
Security was estimated at $175 million and the final cost will exceed $1 billion. These budget overruns are coinciding with drastic cuts to city services. On my first day in town, the cover of the local paper blared cheery news about the Games on the top flap, while a headline announcing the imminent layoff off 800 teachers was much further down the page."

Superbowls can often have the same effect. As can building a stadium for just an sports team. The economics of such venues are not a straight forward as people think it to be.

So some people fail others succeed....as expected. I'm not going to go on a back and forth on that. Point is, like someone said above, the players had every right to ask for compensation. Big companies like coke, addidas, nike etc etc get licenses from the olympics and use the body to make tons of profit. Players from other countries are compensated for the services they offer while these companies make money off of them. The U.S shouldn't be any different. I guess, we can agree to disagree on this point. I'll obviously read you're counter point.

Yeah, it costs a shit ton to run big events like that

it does look like apparel companies come out big, not too surprising

So basically everyone loses money when they host the olympics. Awesome.

Not necessarily. While the city might be harmed, the country might benefit. There's a correlation between national exports and mega-events like the olympics. very often a country to China in 2008 or Japan in the 60s gain standing in the world by hosting the Olympics and opening economic trade doors. Over time these opportunities drop, of course.

It's really hard to measure the full impacts. Our tools are limited, here. Some do better than others. And of course, the costs seem to be rising in recent years.

So some people fail others succeed....as expected. I'm going to go on a back and forth on that. Point is, like someone said above, the players had every right to ask for compensation. Big companies like coke, addidas, nike etc etc get licenses from the olympics and use the body to make tons of profit. Players from other countries are compensated for the services they offer while these companies make money off of them. The U.S shouldn't be any different.

Players have every right to ask for compensation.

And I have every right to call them selfish whiny little bitches for it. The USOC uses their services in a charitable way and if supporting their fellow unknown athletes and those charitable causes doesn't justify them playing all-expenses paid, then they can go fuck themselves.

I don't give a fuck about these millionaires wanting a few extra dollars. And I say that knowing full well these guys are grossly underpaid, financially speaking.

Emwitus

In other news, phx got demolished by the spurs. I feel sorry for nash, at this point i don't if any serious contender would pay him big bucks to join their team. I really wanted grant hill to win one.

Aye, Larry Brown is actually pretty funny.

Larry is always pretty funny when he's not coaching...gotta save up his rage and hatred for whatever player he chooses when he gets his next job.

Also I know when/if Collins get sent home to be a family man after the season, Larry will return "home"..

Turner to commit sudoku right after that.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
be thankful that larry brown brought yall anthony davis

or maybe not
You wouldn't be able to convince me that Larry Brown ruined every single rookie and draft that he was a part of here.

Okafor - regressed every year since LB showed up
Ammo - got hurt. LB came to take soul in the night
May - got hurt. LB came to take soul in the night
Failton - unable to function properly without leash or similar control mechanism
DJ - "end yourself" post-its placede strategically around lockerroom, car, home
Henderson - got hurt. LB came to take soul in the night. (fortunately, Henderson knows how to hide)
Sexi Lexi - LB traded up to get him some solid wingspan and upside. Soon realized that he drafted a rookie and attempted to fix his mistake.

Not to mention Tyrus' daddy issues now that LB isn't around to lovebeat him properly.

You wouldn't be able to convince me that Larry Brown ruined every single rookie and draft that he was a part of here.

Okafor - regressed every year since LB showed up
Ammo - got hurt. LB came to take soul in the night
May - got hurt. LB came to take soul in the night
Failton - unable to function properly without leash or similar control mechanism
DJ - "end yourself" post-its placede strategically around lockerroom, car, home
Henderson - got hurt. LB came to take soul in the night. (fortunately, Henderson knows how to hide)
Sexi Lexi - LB traded up to get him some solid wingspan and upside. Soon realized that he drafted a rookie and attempted to fix his mistake.

Not to mention Tyrus' daddy issues now that LB isn't around to lovebeat him properly.

some things just have to be sacrificed!

Canuck76

Banned
You almost never seem LeBron go on those insane hotstreaks anymore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YugeUMaviU

Watching LeBron stuff from 09 reminds me of Cavs fans writing dissertations on why Mo Williams deserved to be a 1st ballot All-Star and how Terrence Kinsey was a player that mattered.

He really was just a one man wrecking crew then. I mean really. The best three guys behind you are Mo, Varajo, and Delonte West? Amazing that he really could have won a chip with those guys.

Edit: Who the hell is commentating? I'm laughing so hard

xnipx

you must be talking about this

http://youtu.be/7YugeUMaviU?t=3m12s

lol...these are all fucking terrible shots. but it's fun

I'd rather have Bron taking those shots than whatever scrub he defers to because it's the "best basketball play"

He responds to criticism in the worst possible way. It's like the Kobe suns game x 100.

If Lebron asserted himself and took over games at the end I know he could actually produce but he would rather pass it so he could say he put his team in the best possible position to win.

As a wizards fan I hate him for other reasons but cavs Bron > heat Bron

I just can't get over how dumb it was to pair LeBron and Wade

I know that a ton of people called it from the start (2 ball dominant wings on the same squad?) but I sure didn't.

I just cannot see them winning a title. No great big man. Two guys who have very similar games. A slower LeBron (which messes with his entire game)....I dunno. Maybe I'll look back on this after the playoffs and wonder how dumb I was but I just don't see it happening

Top Bottom