• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Playoffs |OT| Tanks for the Memories

Status
Not open for further replies.
From my vantage point in the arena, I couldn't even tell that Rondo bumped the ref and I just thought he was being ejected for something he said to the ref after being given the tech.

If you go back in the thread everyone watching thought it was a BS toss at first because of the angle.

Rondo was trying to say it was an accident, LOL. He and Metta should get together and do commentary for game 2 of Celts/Hawks and Lakers/Nuggets.

giri

If you go back in the thread everyone watching thought it was a BS toss at first because of the angle.

Rondo was trying to say it was an accident, LOL. He and Metta should get together and do commentary for game 2 of Celts/Hawks and Lakers/Nuggets.

Yeah, that angle above aint helping him. I see him sort of stutter his step, but i don't see him tripping or anything.

Still seems totally harsh, even if strictly correct.

Owzers

No Lebron flop gifs making the rounds?

Did a quick search for my favorite one:

LBJFlop1.gif

Pretty sure JR Smith threw a grenade down and Lebron tried to save the fans.

rage1973

I came in here to remind everyone that last year's biggest playoff 4th quarter collapse was the 20 pointer by Dallas against Portland. I am still predicting Memphis in 5.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I came in here to remind everyone that last year's biggest playoff 4th quarter collapse was the 20 pointer by Dallas against Portland. I am still predicting Memphis in 5.

That was a once-in-a-lifetime performance by Brandon Roy that tied the series 2-2. Dallas still had the edge the entire series. This cost Memphis homecourt advantage.

That was a once-in-a-lifetime performance by Brandon Roy that tied the series 2-2. Dallas still had the edge the entire series. This cost Memphis homecourt advantage.

Check out this stat, Grizzlies fans: According to Elias, the only three teams to blow a postseason fourth-quarter lead of 18 points or more all ended up in the Finals. Two of them won the title, including last year's Mavs after the Brandon Roy game in Portland. The Blazers didn't win another game that series; neither did the Celtics in 2002, after coming from 21 down to defeat New Jersey in Game 3 of the Eastern Conference finals.

The other 18-point comeback victim, Houston in 1994, blew the lead at home just like Memphis did; the Rockets became just the second team in history to win a series after dropping the first two games at home.

This doesn't mean that the Grizzlies are destined for greatness. It does, however, mean that any discussion of psychological impacts is likely gobbledygook. The other teams that suffered this fate recovered dramatically, going a combined 9-1 for the rest of the series in question.

via Hollinger

rage1973

That was once in the lifetime collapse by Memphis. They had completely mentally checked out. Anybody that saw the first 3+ quarter could see that the Clippers were severely outmatched.

FWIW, I think Memphis being up 27 in the 2nd half is the more telling sign than Clips coming back.

I think if Memphis wins game 2, they still win the series. Every game is independent of one another.

Prime Hakeem, Prime Dirk, Prime Kidd.

Memphis: ??

So what. Memphis can lose the series, but I highly doubt it will because of a demoralizing affect.

Miami blew game 2 vs Mavs in the Finals, won game 3. Forgot that 15 point lead erased in like 8 min?

reilo

FWIW, I think Memphis being up 27 in the 2nd half is the more telling sign than Clips coming back.

I think if Memphis wins game 2, they still win the series. Every game is independent of one another.

Oh, this series definitely isn't over and I wouldn't be shocked if Memphis wins it, but that Finals statistics is such garbage.

Oh, this series definitely isn't over and I wouldn't be shocked if Memphis wins it, but that Finals statistics is such garbage.

It's not. Hollinger specifically states it doesn't mean memphis is going to go far or even win the series. he's citing it as evidence that teams don't suddenly fall apart mentally because of it.

Everyone in the media and most fans always say shit "but how can they recover from such a loss?" Man, I hear this every fucking year in all the sports. And then, somehow, the team wins the next game. Probably more often than not.

Every game is independent. At the end of the day, a game is nothing but a series of probabilistic events occurring. The notion that entire teams just become mental goo from a loss like that seems weird. Bad shit happens all the time and we find a way to get through it. So do athletes.

Clips and Grizz both have streaky perimeter shooters, but Grizz have reliable post players and rebounders.

If Clips can pull off 4 wins against Memphis that would hilarious.

Clips beating MEM and SAS, would be ideal if The Lakers can finish the Nuggets and mnage a victory over DAl or OKC.

Clips/Lakers WCF would be so salt filled. Adam would start video blogging if Clips won.

reilo

It's not. Hollinger specifically states it doesn't mean memphis is going to go far or even win the series. he's citing it as evidence that teams don't suddenly fall apart mentally because of it.

Everyone in the media and most fans always say shit "but how can they recover from such a loss?" Man, I hear this every fucking year in all the sports. And then, somehow, the team wins the next game. Probably more often than not.

Every game is independent. At the end of the day, a game is nothing but a series of probabilistic events occurring. The notion that entire teams just become mental goo from a loss like that seems weird. Bad shit happens all the time and we find a way to get through it. So do athletes.

I don't disagree with any of that. In fact, as a fan I was on the opposite end of that last year.

If ZBo even plays 80% of his pre-injury capabilities, the Grizz win that series.

Emwitus

The clippers are a far better team than portland last year and having chris paul alone changes the whole thing. Why don't people get this? They beat memphis 3 times this year already?

The clippers are a far better team than portland last year and having chris paul alone changes the whole thing. Why don't people get this? They beat memphis 3 times this year already?

I completely disagree. The Clips just aren't that good. Roy was a better SG at half health than any Clip, LMA is better than any Clips big. They damn near took down last year's champs.

I don't disagree with any of that. In fact, as a fan I was on the opposite end of that last year.

If ZBo even plays 80% of his pre-injury capabilities, the Grizz win that series.

It was weird. After I looked at the box score I saw Zbo shot 3/14 I believe. Watching that game I thought Zbo had shot much better, but maybe cuz the lead was so big I wasn't into the game and just didn't notice. How did he only go 3/14?

This was the most amazing part and I mentioned it last night, but Hollinger's take:

I'm not sure what was more unbelievable: the Clippers' comeback or the guy who was the catalyst. Evans was everywhere defensively for L.A. as it bottled up Memphis in the final nine minutes and sandwiched the Clippers' shocking 26-1 run with layups. For the game he was plus-23 and had a game-high 13 rebounds in just 21 minutes.

What made this so stunning was that Evans is kind of terrible and, up until the final eight minutes, had continued to be. Just before the big run he'd committed traveling and three-second violations, and in a brief first-half stint he missed two foul shots and committed an offensive foul that gave Memphis the last shot of the first half (a Marc Gasol dunk at the buzzer that put the Griz up 19 at the break).

Then suddenly he changed the game with some help from Eric Bledsoe, Nick Young and Chris Paul. The Griz tried post-ups for Randolph, and Evans stuffed them. They tried pin-downs for Gay, and Evans switched out and snuffed them. They ran a pick-and-roll between Gasol and Mike Conley, and Evans was there to trap it. The Grizzlies ignored him on rolls to the basket, and he made them pay. He grabbed six rebounds in a span of 4:10.

Evans was super, basically. And heroes don't come more unlikely than this one. Evans' adjusted plus-minus this season was a phenomenally bad minus-16.34 points per 100 possessions, according to basketballvalue.com, and that was the worst in the league of any player who played at least 500 minutes. His seven points Sunday night exceeded the six he had scored the entire April entering the game, and he hadn't played more than 15 minutes in a game since March 15.

Emwitus

I completely disagree. The Clips just aren't that good. Roy was a better SG at half health than any Clip, LMA is better than any Clips big. They damn near took down last year's champs.

Clipps had above average talent all through the roster. Griffin, Paul, Deandre, Butler, Young, Bledsoe.................This team is a better team. And roy had only that one good game and it completly drained him. What do you mean better at half health?

Owzers

lmao, what a flopping little shit

that chandler pick one was also lolworthy

You have to admire/hate/admire floppers who fling themselves out of bounds, if they don't sell it they lose the ball. Lebron has flopping courage.

Screw the Heat, win this tonight Knicks.

Clipps had above average talent all through the roster. Griffin, Paul, Deandre, Butler, Young, Bledsoe.................This team is a better team. And roy had only that one good game and it completly drained him. What do you mean better at half health?

No. Butler is bad. Young is bad. Bledsoe is bad. DeAndre is the only one average because CP3 (superb) and Griffin (very good on O).

Why do people keep thinking Butler is good? They never come back with him out there. Dude has shot 35% for 2 months now. His defense has been bad.

Young is streaky, but plays no D. Bledose is good on D but his can't shoot (and somehow made a 3...).

Bayum and matthews and Andre Miller are much better than those guys. And Camby is better than DeAndre.

Emwitus

No. Butler is bad. Young is bad. Bledsoe is bad. DeAndre is the only one average because CP3 (superb) and Griffin (very good on O).

Why do people keep thinking Butler is good? They never come back with him out there. Dude has shot 35% for 2 months now. His defense has been bad.

Young is streaky, but plays no D. Bledose is good on D but his can't shoot (and somehow made a 3...).

Bayum and matthews and Andre Miller are much better than those guys. And Camby is better than DeAndre.

Butler is average.....what are you talking about. Stats wise which team was better offensively and defensively?

EDIT: And paul is better than anyone portland has, not even close. Griffin is above average, and deandre is okay.

He was coming back from knee surgery and then had to retire due to knee problems at 27.

Andre Miller is a damn good PG, his J ain't anywhere near CP level nor is his vision but he's very savy and still has some explosion in his legs til this day.

Hobbled Roy was better than Young and far better than Butler. Not to mention Batum is better than those two as well.

Bledsoe is still unpolished and does dumb shit way too frequently.

Griff has nothing on LMA, nothing.

Camby would fill the role of C better than DJ. He was and is old as shit but he plays decent man to man D and knows more often than not when to help.

The 2011 Blazers would sweep the current Clippers team. Like no contest.

Emwitus

He was coming back from knee surgery and then had to retire due to knee problems at 27.

Andre Miller is a damn good PG, his J ain't anywhere near CP level nor is his vision but he's very savy and still has some explosion in his legs til this day.

Hobbled Roy was better than Young and far better than Butler. Not to mention Batum is better than those two as well.

Bledsoe is still unpolished and does dumb shit way too frequently.

Griff has nothing on LMA, nothing.

Camby would fill the role of C better than DJ. He was and is old as shit but he plays decent man to man D and knows more often than not when to help.

The 2011 Blazers would sweep the current Clippers team. Like no contest.

Well, will get to see who sweeps who. I predict a sweep by the clippers. Come at me bros.

reilo

2011 Blazers would take the Clippers in a series but I am not sure about a sweep. CP3 is worth at least a game or two.

You have to admire/hate/admire floppers who fling themselves out of bounds, if they don't sell it they lose the ball. Lebron has flopping courage.

Screw the Heat, win this tonight Knicks.

leaning more towards the hate part. lebron is an incredible player, fucking lame of him to resort to this kinda crap, and refs for buying in as well. dudes really fiendin for that academy award

Butler is average.....what are you talking about. Stats wise which team was better offensively and defensively?

EDIT: And paul is better than anyone portland has, not even close. Griffin is above average, and deandre is okay.

Butler used to be a good SF, in Dallas before the injury he was showing signs of being a mjor piece of a chip team. After the injury he looks all but busted, dude is washed up, last night's stats and the past two months have shown that he's not long for this league.

Portland was better on offense last year and slightly worse on defense, but that's misleading because the lockout led to league-wide offense being worse all around by a lot.

Truthfully, Portland being better on offense means they were A LOT better and on defense were better.

How is Butler average? I've been calling him Caron Gomes for months for a reason.

50% TS% (terrible), 11.7 PER (that's barely playable), .06 WS48 (barely playable) and terrible rebounding rate for a SF. And that's for the whole year. His last couple months are worse than those numbers.

dream

Do you think the Lakers could come back from 27 down on the road against the Grizzlies even if Just Enough To Get Bynum miraculously had another bare minimum triple-double game?

thekad

Banned
What? The 2011 Blazers weren't that good; they were just hyped. The Mavs controlled that series from the beginning and only a miracle performance from a guy that retired a few months later made the series look respectable.

The Clippers would win because their best player is CP3 and the second best Blake and the Blazers best were LMA and Andre Miller.

Emwitus

Portland was better on offense last year and slightly worse on defense, but that's misleading because the lockout led to league-wide offense being worse all around by a lot.

Truthfully, Portland being better on offense means they were A LOT better and on defense were better.

How is Butler average? I've been calling him Caron Gomes for months for a reason.

50% TS% (terrible), 11.7 PER (that's barely playable), .06 WS48 (barely playable) and terrible rebounding rate for a SF. And that's for the whole year. His last couple months are worse than those numbers.

I'd love to see your definition of an "average player". Seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom