• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 FIFA World Cup |OT7| Krul luck for Costa Rica after masterstroke from van Gaal

Status
Not open for further replies.

spekkeh

Banned
yIWJ8xi.jpg

I don't get this one.. French and Germans are the same or something?

KHlover

Banned
And yet Germany couldn't even win it at home in 2006. (Granted, that semi against Italy was some serious BS though :p and I would have loved to see 2006 France face against 2006 Germany)

Also, I don't think France is much more relevant at the international stage. Everyone in France is rather surprised by their current position (we all expected them to go down in flames prior to the world cup)

How is France ANY more relevant? You guys were one place ahead in 2006, but completely sucked in 2008 and 2010, out in quarters 2012.

All while we at least reached semis every single time and won the game for 3rd place when possible.

Vitten

France will probably edge to victory in a tight match. I'm predicting a boring 1-0 with not much excitement.

Skyr

How is France ANY more relevant? You guys were one place ahead in 2006, but completely sucked in 2008 and 2010, out in quarters 2012.

All while we at least reached semis every single time and won the game for 3rd place when possible.

read again

Hope Germany does to France what they did to Portugal.

Germany doesn't have a recent good record in knock outs stages against teams that wear blue! Damn you Italians!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Colombia
Germany
Netherlands
Belgium

Can't think of a Belgium-Netherlands semi too much. It's too good to be true. If it happens, both countries will go bonkers

spekkeh

Banned
Colombia
Germany
Netherlands
Belgium

Can't think of a Belgium-Netherlands semi too much. It's too good to be true. If it happens, both countries will go bonkers

It scares the shit out of me. We can only lose to Belgium. If we win it's going to be 'well our team is still young we'll get there next time'. If we lose, I don't think Belgium is ever going to stop talking about it.

And if they win they're in the finals. Think about Belgium nabbing the World Cup the first time they reach the final.

Hoo boy.

Outwardly I'll be rooting for Belgium tomorrow, inwardly I do little prayers to Messi Christos.

Re: Donavon's critique

I also agree with Donavon's points regardless if it's sour grapes or not. As everyone else has already said the US played with tremendous heart and perseverance. But in terms of tactics and style of play it looked like we had gone backwards by 3-4 years for about 80% of the 4 WC games.

For some odd reason we only played creative on the offensive end when our backs were against the walls in the dying moments of the games. I'm glad we didn't embarrass ourselves we managed to advance out of one of the toughest groups, but it would have been nice to show the world that we've become more tactical and technically proficient since the last 4 years. I doubt think showed that this WC.

The upside is that the younger players actually did show themselves very well this WC, which I'll admit I was surprised. That's a definite good sign for the future. Since Klinsman has the US national team for another 4 years, hopefully he'll start developing a more consistent style with the national team that can actually hold up against stiff competition.

Alright, that concludes my USA analysis posts. :( Time for the next round. I'm pulling for France. When they're on, they play the Beautiful Game.

Braag

Tonight's games are gonna be intense. I'm rooting for you France, though I'm okay with Germany winning too :p

OT7!

Predictions for QF (winners in bold):

France v Germany
Brazil v Colombia
Netherlands v Costa Rica
Argentina v Belgium

I would love Colombia to beat Brazil though, and Belgium to beat Argentina would be a nice surprise too!

Addi

You know what, not enough upsets in the 1/8-finals, this is who I want to win:

France
Colombia
Costa Rica
Belgium

there

Banned
Rooting for Brazil and Brazil only.

I would like to see intense matches in the semi-finals:

Brazil vs. Germany (2002 memories?)

and for the finals, Brazil vs. Netherlands.

Virzeth

And yet Germany couldn't even win it at home in 2006. (Granted, that semi against Italy was some serious BS though :p and I would have loved to see 2006 France face against 2006 Germany)

Also, I don't think France is much more relevant at the international stage. Everyone in France is rather surprised by their current position (we all expected them to go down in flames prior to the world cup)

jzNy5dB.gif

No idea, France is airing at 18 and Colombia at 22, they're both inconvenient for most people.

They didn't buy the rights. I'm not sure if it is some exclusivity contract with Sky (that airs every game) or if they just didn't buy all of of them. During the group stage too they were airing only one game a day.
It's as simple as it gets - if you want to see all the games, you gotta pay. Sky's full WC coverage is either 59€, or "free" for those with active subscriptions including Sports&Football combo (which is what, 30€/mo by themselves?).

Visceir

I don't get this one.. French and Germans are the same or something?

People go on vacations (to the North Sea) but still tune in to enjoy football. I imagine the french and germans share quite a few nearby vacation destinations.

My guess is that Germany, Brazil, Netherlands and Belgium will advance.

I am not overly confident with France. They are young and come from very far. Germany is a very experienced team that has always gone beyond the 1/8. However their perf against algeria may permit us to hope, at least they'll be more exhausted.

Salvadora

Really not sure on how France v Germany will go.

Germany have played pretty awfully from the start of this World Cup, but I can't shake the feeling that they will sneak through by the skin of their teeth.

Either way, at least a couple of Arsenal players will be getting a rest after this game.

CassSept

No, not really. You're just comparing random events.

It's like trying to pick the right lottery numbers based on history.

Nah, lottery is picked completely at random, while psychology plays a huge part here, even if we talk past matches.

An almost entirely European semi-final with a South American winner? Yes please.

Germany would probably win

That worked really well in 2010.

-Setsuna-

I just hope that our team won't slack off this time around.
Benz and his buddies have potential, often seem to have a good time on the field (which is quite something already, considering the 2010 fiasco and tense atmosphere that reigned then), but they always appear so nonchalant, undisciplined...

Put some bets on France and Colombia to win, really looking forward to the Colombia game today, they've been playing amazing so far this world cup

SamVimes

It's as simple as it gets - if you want to see all the games, you gotta pay. Sky's full WC coverage is either 59€, or "free" for those with active subscriptions including Sports&Football combo (which is what, 30€/mo by themselves?).

The consequences are fairly easy to understand, i was thinking more about the cause.

Deku Tree

Rooting for Brazil and Brazil only.

I would like to see intense matches in the semi-finals:

Brazil vs. Germany (2002 memories?)

and for the finals, Brazil vs. Netherlands.

Brazil vs. Argentina finals?

Or France vs. Netherlands finals and Brazil vs. Argentina 3rd place game?

Pacbois

Dear Ze Germans,

Despite the supposed rivalry between our two countries, despite our complicated history, despite our silly jokes aimed at each other, I really like you. Yes, I think your country is fine. Berlin might be a better party city than boring Paris. And I even like your football team. I think you deserved better than always be in the shadow of Spain.

But today, we finally meet again in a world cup, 32 years after some kind of famous game that I'm young to really care about, and I'm sorry my dear German friends, I have to fully root for my country. We need this exploit to finally purge our team from it's past sins. Give it the final piece of the puzzle to rebuild this team and make it a new international football superpower. Because yes, we reached the quarters, but that was maybe a bit too easy, maybe even sometimes dirty. So we need that victory.

If you end up winning today, I'll be fine and happy for you guys. I'll even be rooting for you in your semi (especially if it's against Brasil). But sorry guys, we need to beat you.

No hard feelings ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom