• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 FIFA World Cup |OT7| Krul luck for Costa Rica after masterstroke from van Gaal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadist

Yeah, that's what I don't get: "Dutchies aren't that good, they need Robben to dive for them, that's the only strategy that works" Uh, after four matches Holland scored twelve times, gave away four goals (two of which were undeserved pk's) and seem to be pretty effective regarding chances. I'd say Oranje has some skills. If those skills will help us against Costa Rica, one can only hope.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Yeah, that's what I don't get: "Dutchies aren't that good, they need Robben to dive for them, that's the only strategy that works" Uh, after four matches Holland scored twelve times, gave away four goals (two of which were undeserved pk's) and seem to be pretty effective regarding chances. I'd say Oranje has some skills. If those skills will help us against Costa Rica, one can only hope.

they struggled against Australia lol

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I'd rather France win over Germany, personally. I just don't see it happening.

Argentina should dominate the pitch against Belgium. I'm expecting at least a 2-0 result. The Netherlands will be a more formidable opponent, but Argentina has the talent to beat them. The Dutch team is very overrated based on what I've seen from them this cup. They are a good team, but not world beaters. Their only hope will rest on Robben diving his ass off in the box, which has proved effective so far.

Yes, we all remember the 5 dives Robben took against Spain.

Linius

A penalty that never should have been given and a wonder goal from Cahill. It was our worst game this tournament by far, but it's not like we've been outplayed by the Australians by much.

And let's not forget that nobody expected anything from this Dutch side before the tournament. It's been a wonderful ride so far and I hope it won't end tomorrow.

Firemind

Ignore Tragic Comedy. He's been constantly trolling Europe and uses EUFA instead of UEFA for some reason. Maybe it's his attempt at being witty. Who knows?

Sadist

So did Chili right? And look at their match against Brazil, if it weren't for the post they would be the ones competing against Colombia, not Brazil.

Australia is a very physical team and they gave it their all during the matches against Chili and Oranje. As an opponent that's really hard to play against. Plus it's was the first time Holland beat them. All the friendly matches we played against them were either a draw or a loss.

Roelatie

@^$*(@^ YES!

I was bored these past days but finally tonight will be awesome.

Germany against France - France has a young team but its a team and finally they will encounter a team of worldclass. I really hope France can eliminate the germans, who arent as good as 2010 and 2012.

Brazil- Colombia - Brazil has home advantage, which they really need because soccerwise its dramatic. Known for Samba football but not one minute they have shown these skills. Brazil is beatable and everybody knows it. Colombia on the other hand plays soccer with flair, like Chili so the gods may decide who will will. My bet is on Colombia!

Tomorrows matches are also pretty awesome! Belgium versus Messi. The defense of Belgium is pretty good and their attack is good but not effective. Argentina is the opposite. Defensive is pretty weak like their playstyle. Its a shitty team. There is no cohesion. Messi has saved them every game.. Once they attack, its deadly! My bet is on Belgium!

Costa Rica - Hollandia
Costa Rica had an awesome run. Beating Uruguay and Italy, an awesome achievement for such a small country with no real standouts but its a team and thats what counts. Holland on the other hand has Robben who is THE MAN for the Dutchies. Every run is dangerous. This guy is on speed probably so I hope we dont get a drugs controle!
In 2001 Holland lost to Costa Rica 3-1 so I hope the team wants their revenge! Holland it is!

DAMN I am at work. But havent done anything yet. The World Cup uses hype, Its super effective!

I somehow worry about France stomping our german team into the ground..

Our defence is shit (well, at least Hummels is back and mustafi still injured), and Löw refusing to put Lahm back to where he belongs is just so stupid.

Plus, Schweinsteiger and Podolski not being in their best condition...

I'd say 1:2 for France this will be.

mantidor

Ugh, I am so nervous.

Being Colombian, there is no doubt I am biased, but I have been seduced into thinking a World Cup win is possible for this team. I've watched ~85% of the games, and have even gone back and rewatched some games from World Cups of yore, and very, very few of the teams have brought the same dynamic, elegant football to the table. It's amazing to watch not simply because I enjoy watching my national team actually accomplishing something on a grand stage, but because the football on display is inherently uplifting. This has been an awesome, awesome World Cup, and I'm proud of Colombia's contribution to that.

Germany, France, and Brazil have all shown vulnerabilities. So have Argentina and Netherlands. A path to victory exists, and my god, can anyone deny that a World Cup which benefited from the participation of nearly every big team but that happened to be won by this team would go down as remarkable? I can imagine such a result only being good for the sport. It opens things up dramatically, would be an upset for the ages, and I'd say Colombia (between their style, their players, and their fans) is a pretty easy underdog to root for.

And not to mention Colombia's sad World Cup history. I would be sad to see Brazil go home because I know the massive pressure on those players, how heartbroken the country would be, and because of the missed opportunity to overcome the ghost of 1950. Colombia has their own ghosts to overcome, though, and it would be no less poetic for them to win in the end.

Anyway, I know I'm getting ahead of myself. I can envision a scenario where Colombia effectively moves past Brazil, but chances are Brazil is going to wake up and test this Colombian team in a way they've yet to be tested. Their shortcomings may very well reveal themselves against more experienced, more settled franchises. Realistically, it wouldn't be a good idea to bet on Colombia getting much further.

Still, I suddenly can't help but to dream.

Ha I'm not alone.

I couldn't care less about futbol, really. So this has been stressing. I have no friend to remind that "this is only futbol, remember you didn't care".

Every single one of my friends only talks about this, and not in a casual way, my cousin cried when I managed to get her tickets to colombian matches, it's kind of nerve wrecking :p.

The more you dream, the harder you fall. The energetic, passionate and exciting small countries never go all the way

It's the same for Brazil really. They are not small, but they haven't proved their greatness this round. And stakes are high. They "have" to win. I don't blame them for crying this last match.

Addi

Allez les bleus!

This is the real test, finally! In any case, if we win or lose, operation redemption has gone quite well! Merci :)

So bored the last few days without the football on, it has made the first half of this summer so much more tolerable.

I'm thinking Ger - Fra should be a pretty good close match, can see Germany edging the victory though.

As for Brazil - Columbia I think due to how well Columbia have been playing they're gonna be the clear upper team unless Brazil get their shit together - that being said I could still see Neymar putting out some talent ie. a wondergoal or two.

With Mexico out, Colombia is my favorite leftover team next to Germany. I want both to win today. I still can't get over that James goal, what a thrashing they gave Uruguay.

Kimaxe

bv000032.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzO_BNt65Jw

Arjen

Really hope Colombia will win today, most impressive team so far with great football, if we don't win the WC they better do.
However, i'm afraid Brazil wil win because they "have" to.

Fularu

Banned
Why are so many people saying Germany will win over France? In their last 7 matches, France has won 5 times, Germany once and there was one draw.

Code:
28 février 1990 	Montpellier       France 	[B]France[/B] - RFA 	        2-1 	Friendly
1er juin 1996 	        Stuttgart         Allemagne 	Allemagne - [B]France[/B] 	0-1 	Friendly
27 février 2001 	Saint-Denis       France 	[B]France[/B] - Allemagne 	1-0 	Friendly
15 novembre 2003 	Gelsenkirchen     Allemagne 	Allemagne - [B]France[/B] 	0-3 	Friendly
12 novembre 2005 	Saint-Denis       France        France - Allemagne 	0-0 	Friendly
29 février 2012 	Brême             Allemagne 	Allemagne - [B]France[/B] 	1-2 	Friendly
6 février 2013 	        Saint-Denis       France 	France - [B]Allemagne[/B] 	1-2 	Friendly

Raiden

Banned
Really hope Colombia will win today, most impressive team so far with great football, if we don't win the WC they better do.
However, i'm afraid Brazil wil win because they "have" to.

Come on now neighbour!

I'm rooting for you guys if we (Belgium) are out!

Why are so many people saying Germany will win over France? In their last 7 matches, France has won 5 times, Germany once and there was one draw.

Code:
28 février 1990 	Montpellier       France 	[B]France[/B] - RFA 	        2-1 	Friendly
1er juin 1996 	        Stuttgart         Allemagne 	Allemagne - [B]France[/B] 	0-1 	Friendly
27 février 2001 	Saint-Denis       France 	[B]France[/B] - Allemagne 	1-0 	Friendly
15 novembre 2003 	Gelsenkirchen     Allemagne 	Allemagne - [B]France[/B] 	0-3 	Friendly
12 novembre 2005 	Saint-Denis       France        France - Allemagne 	0-0 	Friendly
29 février 2012 	Brême             Allemagne 	Allemagne - [B]France[/B] 	1-2 	Friendly
6 février 2013 	        Saint-Denis       France 	France - [B]Allemagne[/B] 	1-2 	Friendly

wow france very stronk :OOOOOOO

... but my heart belongs to DEUTSCHLANDDDDDDDDDD

LETS GO GERMAAAAAANY

Blablurn

Code:

Stop living in the past

Fularu

Banned
So did Chili right? And look at their match against Brazil, if it weren't for the post they would be the ones competing against Colombia, not Brazil.

Australia is a very physical team and they gave it their all during the matches against Chili and Oranje. As an opponent that's really hard to play against. Plus it's was the first time Holland beat them. All the friendly matches we played against them were either a draw or a loss.

France destroyed Australia 6 - 0 last october. They aren't difficult to play against when you have, you know, something of a defensive line (which Holland didn't have in its first 2 games)

Code:

Outside of the last two matches. How are the other matches related to the actual German and France teams?

Fularu

Banned
living in the past
Isn't that Mannschaft's motto? I mean when was the last time Germany won something of relevance? 1996?

Outside of the last two matches. How are the other matches related to the actual German and France teams?

History plays a part in Football games, even if the teams are really different. Just like Germany has a slight psychological edge today after 1982 and 1986 (I know the french media has been talking a lot about the 1982 semi-final lately)

Also, trends.

Linkinito

Go go France. :)
I want to see our team win alongside Brazil so we could get a dreamed semi-final which would definitely be, in the heart of everyone, the real final of the cup.

Sadist

France destroyed Australia 6 - 0 last october. They aren't difficult to play against when you have, you know, something of a defensive line (which Holland didn't have in its first 2 games)
There are teams that always, you know, can't be easily beat. For us Dutchies that's Australia.

It was our worst game, but the goal of the Aussies was beautiful and one undeserved penalty. Perspective and all that.

Fularu

Banned
That's just 4 years older than the last France title.

And yet Germany couldn't even win it at home in 2006. (Granted, that semi against Italy was some serious BS though :p and I would have loved to see 2006 France face against 2006 Germany)

Also, I don't think France is much more relevant at the international stage. Everyone in France is rather surprised by their current position (we all expected them to go down in flames prior to the world cup)

spekkeh

Banned
These QFs are going to be awesome.

I expect France Germany to be an epically dirty slugfest, which should lead to a phyrric victory by France. I feel an upset coming in the Colombia Brazil game, and Colombia will out-Brazil Brazil. Costa Rica will out-Netherlands the Netherlands, but still lose due to class difference. The only game I think might turn out a stinker is Belgium Argentina. Belgium is the only team in the world that has the defensive line to completely neuter Messi, but that leaves two deadlocked teams who don't know how to score. I'm at a festival during the game, and not feeling too salty about it. I think Belgium will pull through in the end, because somebody on the Argentinian side is going to lose his head.

The nice thing about these matches though is that it could also go completely the other way. The round of 16 in retrospect was predictable because the group winners all won their round of 16 match (a first I believe). Now that we have only group winners left, the bets are off.

SamVimes

Italian public tv is airing Colombia vs Brazil instead of France vs Germany. If colombia doesn't beat Brazil i will feel so robbed.

SamVimes

That's a weird choice for Italy. Due to the time that it is played, or Italian tv salty?

No idea, France is airing at 18 and Colombia at 22, they're both inconvenient for most people.

why are they not showing both?
They didn't buy the rights. I'm not sure if it is some exclusivity contract with Sky (that airs every game) or if they just didn't buy all of of them. During the group stage too they were airing only one game a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom