• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlanta |OT| Donald Glover's New Show For FX - Tuesdays 10/9c

Slayven

No, I wasn't implying malice. Him saying nigga goes hand in hand with him trying to hustle money out of Earn.
Dave clearly doesn't see Earn as any kind of threat, so he was comfortable saying nigga around him.
I think showing Dave not saying it to the people coming out of the station and Earn asking Prince about was trying to convey that.

Dave wants to be able to say it but knows he shouldn't because of possible consequence from its use but doesn't think there would be any from Earn.
Basically it boils down to Dave not seeing as black enough, well what Dave considers black

Blunoise

How many ppl in the thread are non-black, because I would like to see this show get a broader audience of everybody

I'm mad that I just found out it was back to back eps and not a repeat 😒.

But my wife and I loved this show lol, low key hilarious!

styl3s

I can only think of like 2 violent scenes in all of film/tv that makes me feel unsettled it's very rare for that to happen but the baton scene in episode 2 was fucking frighting.

Love the show i wish they were 40-45 minute episodes.

Yado

Watched the two episodes this morning and I thought they were kind of boring. I'll stick with it for a while to see if that changes.

vypek

I'm mad that I just found out it was back to back eps and not a repeat 😒.

But my wife and I loved this show lol, low key hilarious!

The back to back episodes were presented in an hour block. Did you leave the channel before it showed the signal for episode 2? There were also 3 repeats after it as well so maybe you saw the whole thing anyways

I can only think of like 2 violent scenes in all of film/tv that makes me feel unsettled it's very rare for that to happen but the baton scene in episode 2 was fucking frighting.

Love the show i wish they were 40-45 minute episodes.

Yeah, the way he was screaming was really disturbing

The back to back episodes were presented in an hour block. Did you leave the channel before it showed the signal for episode 2? There were also 3 repeats after it as well so maybe you saw the whole thing anyways

Oh it was an hour block? Lol, I guess I did watch the whole thing then. I'm so used to hour long shows. Well now I feel better!

IronRinn

How many ppl in the thread are non-black, because I would like to see this show get a broader audience of everybody
Pasty white here.

"Please, man, people ain't just nice, Earn."

Watched the first episodes and I am all in. Finally saw what Glover was hinting at when he called it "Twin Peaks for rappers" with that scene on the bus. Had no idea Isiah Whitlock, Jr was in this, let out a laugh when he opened up the door.

That was fucking fantastic. Gonna track down the second episode.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
I just watched the first 2 episodes and I really like this show. I love subtle humor and this show is chock full of it. Darius is probably my favorite so far, haha ... dude is deep as hell.

Enzom21

Pasty white here.

"Please, man, people ain't just nice, Earn."

Watched the first episodes and I am all in. Finally saw what Glover was hinting at when he called it "Twin Peaks for rappers" with that scene on the bus. Had no idea Isiah Whitlock, Jr was in this, let out a laugh when he opened up the door.

That was fucking fantastic. Gonna track down the second episode.

The first two shows were shown together as a one-hour show. You might have seen both episodes.

The episodes were amazing. Will be tuning in for the next one.

Lost it with the random dude in the Batman mask asking for Paper Boi.

Whitey here. :p

I'm the type of person who loves media with a voice and sense of place, so this was amazing to me. None of the subject has any relevance to my life, but I am a very empathetic person so I can easily put myself in their shoes. You can feel the reality and truth oozing from this show, and it's hilarious as well. If this were all available at once, I would devour it until it was finished!

I'd be white here.

Also I like that the dog was a Blue Heeler (or Australian Cattle Dog) as they used to be (and I think still are) super popular in Georgia. But also because they are the best breed of dog.

Blunoise

Nice! looks like a lot of people are enjoying this show. I am glad that television has more tv shows with real blackness and everyone can watch and enjoy it. I think that is good progression in our race relations tbh. Although as an Atlanta native, this show is only depicting mostly ghetto areas, I wonder if it will venture out to like lil five points or E. Ponce so don't be afraid to visit this awesome growing city!

Man that was amazing. Episode 1 was a fantastic intro but I think I like Episode 2 more. That's when it really hooked me and it had me straight dying at certain scenes.

IronRinn

Man, the second episode (written by Glover's brother, apparently) was even better than the first. Holy shit, those scenes in the jail.

Blader

Damn, you guys have got me hyped. I'll have to watch this tonight (thanks for the YT link Cornballer!).

Excited for Better Things tomorrow, too.

TheOddOne

- Vulture: How Brian Tyree Henry Became Paper Boi, Atlanta’s Rising Rap Star.
These days, Henry has a painful thread in common with Alfred. In the pilot of Atlanta, Alfred mentions having lost his mother. Henry’s mother, Willow, died in a multi-vehicle accident in Maryland, the day Atlanta wrapped production on its first season. Henry remembers his colleagues holding him down when he received the news.

“This is the first time I’ve really understood what the word ‘bittersweet’ means,” Henry said, noting his mother’s absence was heavy on his mind because it was the third “monthaversary” of her death. “We were very close spiritually. We were supposed to go on a road trip this summer and she was going to go with me to the premiere in Atlanta. There are good days and bad days, but I am really riding on the good ones right now. The biggest thing is just trying to hold onto the joy.”

LionPride

Banned
Why Darrius the GOAT already?

Love this show, can't wait for more episodes.

"Lemon Pepper with the WET!?"

Love how Ern's parents are just absolute savages

Also, the scene in the jail...nah

-Deimos

Man, that whole toilet water situation was funny until it wasnt. I definitely will be watching this every week.

clapping-ha-ha-wtf-shocked-laughing-13538573029.gif

pretty much.

Your description makes it seem like Dave was using the n-word maliciously. It's more that Dave knows he shouldn't say it to the wrong black dude. He and Earn apparently have prior history and he likely thinks Earn is one of the "cool" ones.

Edit: it was explained a lot better above

The point is EARN thinks that EarN is the wrong black dude to say it to, yet Dave is either naive about that fact, or he's using the term in a derogatory fashion knowing that Earl doesn't like it yet won't do anything about it.

Top Bottom