• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlanta |OT| Donald Glover's New Show For FX - Tuesdays 10/9c

LProtag

Watched the first two episodes. This was great. I liked how it provided a pretty sobering reality while maintaining a slight touch of the surreal.

How many ppl in the thread are non-black, because I would like to see this show get a broader audience of everybody

*raises hand* I'm white.

Great show, it's going to suck when it's only one 30 minute episode a week. For some reason my damn DVR didn't record it at 10pm, thankfully I woke up for some odd reason shortly before midnight and recorded that rerun.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Admittedly I have very little real life experience with which to relate to this show, but I'm really enjoying it for what I get out of it.

RBH

giphy.gif

Admittedly I have very little real life experience with which to relate to this show, but I'm really enjoying it for what I get out of it.
Yeah I'm here too, not even American so im pretty far removed from the show but it makes a point whilst not being preachy, great story and characters, funny when it needs to be, touching, earnest and just quite beautifully made.

I actually hate Glover for how talented he is sometimes.

ryseing

"Worldstar! Yeah, this is definitely going on Worldstar man!"

As that's one of my favorite Childish songs, it got a chuckle out of me.

Caught the first episode via youtube.

Man, that bus scene. I've interacted with some weird bus people, but none offered me food.

I cracked up at that universal "Nah, I'm good" expression on Earn's face.

And Dave. I've also had to deal with a few Daves growing up.

I'm not gonna lie, I lowkey hate Childish Gambino the rapper, feel like he is the ultimate cornball, but I really dig this.

I'm latino so I can relate to the feeling of having your feet in different cultures, how it can be to your advantage but you can still feel like a outsider to all sides in the end.

It's also pretty funny.

"Man, later just means you ain't gonna let me do it..."

LionPride

Banned
I'm not gonna lie, I lowkey hate Childish Gambino the rapper, feel like he is the ultimate cornball, but I really dig this.

I'm latino so I can relate to the feeling of having your feet in different cultures, how it can be to your advantage but you can still feel like a outsider to all sides in the end.

It's also pretty funny.

"Man, later just means you ain't gonna let me do it..."

Drake and Jermaine

Darius really is the GOAT, I love him. I feel like he is gonna be the other connection to the weird shit that's going on. Like the man with the nutella sandwich and the dog who people swear is in the jail. Imma have to rewatch. Also Darius sayin he got Deja Vu because of the scene from the beginning versus the end of the first episode.

I'm down for this weird shit

Kickz

Its weird but Glover feels like the suburb kid fitting in with the hood kids. Anyways I like the show, a shame its only a half hour

ZeroX03

Banned
Its weird but Glover feels like the suburb kid fitting in with the hood kids. Anyways I like the show, a shame its only a half hour

The dual/dueling identities is a pretty staple part of his work. Makes sense it carried over here. I'm assuming Princeton will come back later in the season, they mention it a lot.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I dunno why, but I saw Darrius saying Deja Vu is kinda a meta thing. IE, if you've watched a rerun it's the same episode but maybe he's the only one that notices this. I dunno how to explain it, but it's like how the end of Taxi Driver leads into the beginning.

Mariolee

The dual/dueling identities is a pretty staple part of his work. Makes sense it carried over here. I'm assuming Princeton will come back later in the season, they mention it a lot.

Agreed. It's also why the Dave joke worked. Because Glover doesn't feel like the stereotypical hood kid, Dave felt like it was safe to use the word nigga around him.

Mariolee

I dunno why, but I saw Darrius saying Deja Vu is kinda a meta thing. IE, if you've watched a rerun it's the same episode but maybe he's the only one that notices this. I dunno how to explain it, but it's like how the end of Taxi Driver leads into the beginning.

Nah, the meta of the Deja Vu scene as someone mentioned earlier is that the same scene that's at the beginning is also at the end.

ZeroX03

Banned
Van is 100% kicking Earn's ass out at some point. The charm and acting funny with his daughter is only going to take him so far. She's already readying back up plans to his face.

LionPride

Banned
She was pressed for an "I love you" while already having a date planned.

Was Low down, I wanna know what lead to Ern having to be in the situation he's in now. Where even his momma won't let him past the porch. Ya dad, it's different. But your Moms doin that to you? Then you livin with ya baby mama who ain't ya girl. Wild

Ross61

Was Low down, I wanna know what lead to Ern having to be in the situation he's in now. Where even his momma won't let him past the porch. Ya dad, it's different. But your Moms doin that to you? Then you livin with ya baby mama who ain't ya girl. Wild
Descriptions of the show says she's his best friend. So, I'm guessing they must been friends for a while before realizing they had feelings for eachother. And still remain together as friends even if they didn't work out. Not the worst situation, but I don't think Earn's ready for the possibility of other dudes being around his daughter. And he's probably just extremely lazy. Black mom's forgive a lot, but they can't tolerate a lazy ass thinking they can just lounge around and mooch.

ZeroX03

Banned
Donald Glover is
Good at music
Good at writing
Good at comedy
Good at acting

Combines all of them together, and people are surprised it's good. Even if he's not to your taste - and his earlier stuff was all a little corny and over the top - dude always had talent and drive. You don't get the kind of opportunities to work with people like Fey and Harmon because you're lucky.

Laieon

Donald Glover is
Good at music
Good at writing
Good at comedy
Good at acting

Combines all of them together, and people are surprised it's good. Even if he's not to your taste - and his earlier stuff was all a little corny and over the top - dude always had talent and drive. You don't get the kind of opportunities to work with people like Fey and Harmon because you're lucky.

His early stuff was great. Don't diss mystery team.

i haven't seen mystery team. and to be fair i forgot he worked on 30 Rock.

but yeah i think his music is trash and his standup comedy too. so i really didn't see this coming. was his sketch comedy like this? anyways regardless this is a great show so far.

Mariolee

Rewatching the first episode and there is definitely more to that opening scene than meets the eye, even beyond the "deja vu". We see right before Al supposedly shoots the other dude, Earn sees something and says "Wait" and the camera pans to the dog as lights pass by.

Mariolee

but yeah i think his music is trash and his standup comedy too. so i really didn't see this coming. was his sketch comedy like this?

What music of his have you heard? His old sketch comedy was NOTHING like this, and neither was his work in Community. If you want to see something somewhat similar to this, you should see some of the concept stuff for his album Because the Internet. Stuff like "Clapping for the Wrong Reasons" or his actual conceptual script for Because the Internet.

The music videos and the films above were directed by Hiro Murai, who also is directing Atlanta so there's a consistent style as well.

TheOddOne

What music of his have you heard? His old sketch comedy was NOTHING like this, and neither was his work in Community. If you want to see something somewhat similar to this, you should see some of the concept stuff for his album Because the Internet. Stuff like "Clapping for the Wrong Reasons" or his actual conceptual script for Because the Internet.

The music videos and the films above were directed by Hiro Murai, who also is directing Atlanta so there's a consistent style as well.
Didn't know Hiro did Kiwanuka's Black Man In A White World. Such a awesome concept and video.

Rewatching the first episode and there is definitely more to that opening scene than meets the eye, even beyond the "deja vu". We see right before Al supposedly shoots the other dude, Earn sees something and says "Wait" and the camera pans to the dog as lights pass by.

Its the same dog that was following the Sandwich Man after he got off the bus. It could be a different dog, but they used the same breed in both scenes so I have a feeling its no coincidence.

Romez

but yeah i think his music is trash and his standup comedy too. so i really didn't see this coming. was his sketch comedy like this? anyways regardless this is a great show so far.

So because you don't like his music you thought his show would be trash?

That makes no sense.

Top Bottom