• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman V Superman Ticket Sales Are Trending close to SW Ep7. Uh, your fish are dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmfdmpig

Relatively sure those were reports of test audiences making Warner consider a shake-up in the movies based on Superman still being a bit shit.

The report was that there was some nervousness that it would not be a crowd pleaser. McWeeny or whatever his name is then speculated that perhaps there would be a shakeup. Many on gaf jumped on that and ran with it.

Movies are made to turn a profit. Crappy movies that do well get sequels (Pirates of the Caribbean shows us that) so the notion of movies being canceled would mean that it was a financial failure. FF1 bombing led to FF2 disappearing from future plans, for example. Amazing Spider Man 1 sucking, but doing well financially did not prevent ASM2 from happening.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
Huh. Genuinely didn't think there was this much hype for BvS

Why? It is for the first time we are getting two A tier heroes on screen together after seeing a bunch of C and D class heroes coming together for so many years.

If snyder fks up then yeah there will be a pretty substantial drop after the opening

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
Hulk and Captain America aren't Spider-man, but they definitely aren't c-tier either.

Ok I will give you B tier then with Ant man and Black Panther as C tier.

Ok I will give you B tier then with Ant man and Black Panther as C tier.

Panther's at least a comfortable B, imo.

Frankly, Batman, Superman, and Spiderman are on a tier of their own, so let's call that S. Then you've got folks like Wondy, Cap, Hulk, Iron Man (these days) who are pretty damn well known; those are the A tier.

IconGrist

Panther's at least a comfortable B, imo.

Frankly, Batman, Superman, and Spiderman are on a tier of their own, so let's call that S. Then you've got folks like Wondy, Cap, Hulk, Iron Man (these days) who are pretty damn well known; those are the A tier.

I'm okay with this.

Why? It is for the first time we are getting two A tier heroes on screen together after seeing a bunch of C and D class heroes coming together for so many years.

If snyder fks up then yeah there will be a pretty substantial drop after the opening

It's Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman in one movie. Why would you assume there wouldn't be much hype?

Well, Batman isn't the Nolan Batman the audiences are most familiar with. Superman hasn't been cinematically relevant in decades. And in terms of cultural familiarity, Wonder Woman is a B-tier hero at best.

Add to that a director with a mixed filmography and the fact DC just has not been the mainstream success Marvel is, and eh, it simply wasn't a movie that I would have bet all that much money on.

Penguin

Well, Batman isn't the Nolan Batman the audiences are most familiar with. Superman hasn't been cinematically relevant in decades. And in terms of cultural familiarity, Wonder Woman is a B-tier hero at best.

Add to that a director with a mixed filmography and the fact DC just has not been the mainstream success Marvel is, and eh, it simply wasn't a movie that I would have bet all that much money on.

I'm 30 years old

So in my life
Keaton, Kilmer, Clooney and Bale have been live-action Batman. It's pretty similar for many people. They don't get use to a "single" person for many of these things anymore.

Multiple Bonds and Spidermens and Hulks, etc.

Man of Steel is still one of the highest grossing comic book movies of all-time. I mean sure could have done better, but it did really well. So don't get that point.

Most people probably don't care about the director as much as hardcores do. Heck... even some of the "hardcore" are iffy... how many people still call it Michael Bay's TMNT even though he didn't direct.

But all of that aside, I mean just look at all the info out there. Trailer views are giant on YT. It has topped most anticipated film lists. Social media buzz has been above a ton of other CBM (okay all others) this year.

Heck even without official commercials, one of the most buzzed about movies out of the Superbowl with tie-in ads

BadAss2961

Man of Steel happened. It was at least about as successful as Batman Begins in terms of making a hero relevant again.

The masses don't know or care who the fuck directs these movies.

The Dark Knight and Rises were huge. Batman is huge. It's not wise to bet against him these days.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

Do you think the average movie goer takes all this into account? This is an event film. Batman and Superman in the same movie is something people will go see just to talk about it with coworkers etc.

anaron

this move could very well end up sucking ass but I will see it for WW and an onscreen trinity no matter what.

ryan299

There's a few screenings at the Regency in Ferris, Ca this Sunday and people are buying tickets. People called the theater and they confirmed the screenings.

anaron

There's a few screenings at the Regency in Ferris, Ca this Sunday and people are buying tickets. People called the theater and they confirmed the screenings.

if it all goes accordingly, I'm assuming this implies WB is very, very pleased with the film?

This is so weird!

cakefoo

Just $154M according to boxoffice.com

http://pro.boxoffice.com/statistics/long_term_predictions

7bB6Vj4.png

WB tends to be happy with these DC films before release. TDK, TDKR, MoS - they all get good pre-release buzz from the studio. It's not indicative of BO success or critical acclaim.

Ashhong

Here in SoCal, there seems to be significantly less ticket buying at the IMAX theaters I frequent. I remember when Star Wars came on sale, all of the middle portions of all IMAX screens were sold out that weekend.

For BVS, the best seats in the house are available at almost all IMAX showings that I checked, including the one and only 70mm real IMAX location.

guek

Banned
Here in SoCal, there seems to be significantly less ticket buying at the IMAX theaters I frequent. I remember when Star Wars came on sale, all of the middle portions of all IMAX screens were sold out that weekend.

For BVS, the best seats in the house are available at almost all IMAX showings that I checked, including the one and only 70mm real IMAX location.

Star Wars should not be the metric against which BvS is judged. Those seats will fill as the clock ticks down.

IconGrist

Star Wars should not be the metric against which BvS is judged. Those seats will fill as the clock ticks down.

Star Wars will be an inevitable comparison. I've already seen people claiming BvS is doomed because it hasn't matched Star Wars in pre-release hype.

I can honestly see it cracking 200 million first weekend these two iconic heroes in a big blockbuster movie for the first time will get casuals.

a916

These numbers mean jack... 54% of 10 tickets, or 23% of 10000000 tickets. We have no idea what we can gleam from the percentages if we don't know how any of them relate.

I hope it breaks above 200 OW, but these numbers mean nothing.

Its cool to hate on Episode 7 now?

This GAF where movies like Force Awakens and Dark Knight Rises, darlings of the critics worlds are below our lofty standards.

y2dvd

I thought people weren't questioning whether this was going to be a commercial success but rather if it will be a critical success. That's more of my concerns at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom