• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - Season 3 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drahcir

Oh my god, that image of Skylar holding the cigarette and looking through the window blinds is noir perfection. Are they trying to tell us something about season 3 with shots like that? :D

Hellion

The music selection in this show is incredible.
23vaiax.jpg

TheOddOne

I was a little late to the party with this series, but has become one of my favorites. Cannot wait for season 3 to start!

DeSo

Banned
TheOddOne said:
I was a little late to the party with this series, but has become one of my favorites. Cannot wait for season 3 to start!
Same here, ended up watching seasons one and two in about two weeks. Quality show.

Ashhong

the weirdest fucking rerun schedule. the only good thing about it is that it happens to be on when i go to sleep late. i like that little surprise :lol

Nothing that first guy said was inaccurate.

Is Sepinwall some semi-popular TV critic or something? I stumbled across his blog a few months ago when I was watching The Shield for the first time and have since been reading his reviews of current stuff at least once a week, but beyond that this is the first time I've seen his name pop up

Ventrue

I'm still upset about the ending of S2, but whatever. The rest of the show was so brilliant that I'm going to give it a chance.

Ashhong

OptimoPeach said:

Is Sepinwall some semi-popular TV critic or something? I stumbled across his blog a few months ago when I was watching The Shield for the first time and have since been reading his reviews of current stuff at least once a week, but beyond that this is the first time I've seen his name pop up

well hes popular here. his reviews are linked in like every single TV show thread

MC llama

Neo Member
Can't wait til this hits the internets. My Monday afternoons are saved from boring invoices again!!!

Anyone else think someone might have played a bit of GTA: Vice City and San Andreas before he wrote this show?

Saul Goodman = Ken Rosenburg....

Junkie who became one with the atm = The Truth...

Or is it me who's played to much?

gdt

Got my set yesterday, :D . I hope to finish my rewatch by Sunday night.

OptimoPeach said:

Yeah, he's more or less the top guy when it comes to TV critics.

OptimoPeach said:
He does full recaps of a lot of current shows which is somewhat rare - most critics just do a review at the beginning of the season.

A few reviews starting to pop up:

- Ken Tucker @ EW.com gives it an A- *spoilers via the link*
Breaking Bad has, in short, everything you could want from an hour-long show: suspense, laughs, danger, and poignance. Cranston and Paul are remarkable in different ways — Cranston for the way he renders Walt a brainy, angry old softy, Paul for the way he makes Jesse an earnest guy fated to make idiotic life choices. Anna Gunn is turning in Emmyworthy work with every scene she claims as her own, doing something fresh with the wronged-wife role. And Walt's DEA brother-in- law, Hank, has become in Dean Norris' portrayal less a buffoon who doesn't recognize the lawbreaker within his own family than a frustrated lawman on the verge of snapping.
- Variety
Nothing else on television comes closer to approximating the unsettling feeling of a Coen brothers movie than "Breaking Bad," which returns for its third season at a deliberate pace that would be death for most shows yet which simply makes this one more absorbing. Bryan Cranston has rightfully collected awards for his portrayal of a cancer-stricken teacher who desperately begins cooking crystal meth to provide for his family, leading down a veritable yellow-brick road of unsavory characters and questionable moral choices. The unforeseen twists in that road continue qualifying "Bad" as one of TV's best dramas.

Alan Sepinwall's review
Sepinwall said:
Walt’s specialty is chemistry, and if I had to boil the appeal of "Breaking Bad" down to a formula, it would be two parts incredible acting, two parts cool explosions and gorgeous cinematography (shot on location in New Mexico, few dramas are as strangely beautiful to look at), and an equal mix of "The Sopranos" and "Bill Nye the Science Guy."

Ashhong

Anna Gunn providing emmy-worthy roles? that must mean her character is not a crazy bitch wife now! yessssss

just watched a rerun of Phoenix yesterday...Jane dying is still one of the best scenes ever.

Reseil

Costanza said:
4 episodes into my rewatch. god this show is so incredible

The BD's look amazing. Powering through them as well. Not sure if I'll be able to make all the way through S2, but I'm giving it hell.

Just reminder that there's also a partial marathon showing on AMC starting tonight if anyone wants to catch a few episodes. Details are in the OP.

Vlad

Ashhong said:
Anna Gunn providing emmy-worthy roles? that must mean her character is not a crazy bitch wife now! yessssss

I've seen this characterization of her character repeatedly, yet I still don't understand it. Sure, in the first episode she was a little distant from her husband (the ebay handjob especially), but from the second episode onward, Walt's second life has started to seep into hers. From Jesse calling their house in the second episode, to Walt's increasingly strange behavior, any suspicions she had were more and more justified.

The only thing I'd call inexcusable would be the whole "smoking while pregnant" thing, although she never even would have done that if it weren't for Walt's actions.

Mindlog

Drahcir said:
Oh my god, that image of Skylar holding the cigarette and looking through the window blinds is noir perfection. Are they trying to tell us something about season 3 with shots like that? :D

Walt Jr. is going to murder her.

Well not for that image. The pregnant smoking one.

Ventrue said:
I'm still upset about the ending of S2, but whatever. The rest of the show was so brilliant that I'm going to give it a chance.

Yeah, it definitely wasn't the greatest. If the had ended it 10 minutes earlier it would have been fine.

I'm just hoping to get more accurately made narcocorridos.

Cornballer said:
Just reminder that there's also a partial marathon showing on AMC starting tonight if anyone wants to catch a few episodes. Details are in the OP.

and I'm pretty sure I saw all of season 2 available on demand
I convinced a few friends to catch up that way.

James Poniewozik on Breaking Bad's White-Hot Slow Burn *some spoilers*
And entering its third season—with Cranston now the winner of two Emmys—Breaking Bad has grown confident enough that this performance, and the show's psychological acuity, will keep us watching. (That, plus great supporting performances from Paul and Bob Odenkirk as White's shady lawyer, as well as the series stunning visuals.) It's a drama that has chosen the slow burn over the flashy explosion, and it's all the hotter for that choice.

gdt

Dammit, I still have the entirety of S2 to rewatch. I doubt I'll be in gear for Sunday night. Hopefully by next Sunday, I'll be ready.

I actually decided to not buy any Blu-rays for the foreseeable future (unless it's an insane deal for something I haven't seen before that I can flip after watching), but you're making it tough for me not to go out and buy them and watch them right now, Costanza.

Costanza

Banned
CajoleJuice said:
I actually decided to not buy any Blu-rays for the foreseeable future (unless it's an insane deal for something I haven't seen before that I flip after watching), but you're making it tough for me not to go out and buy them and watch them right now, Costanza.
They are so worth it.

The Breaking Bad marathon is on right now and re-watching,
Bob Odenkirk is a mad genius. What a great character and portrayal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom