• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - Season 3 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezekial45

Banned
bud said:
whatever they do, i hope it doesn't overstay its welcome.

it's too great to have a weaker final season.

I seem to recall him saying that the 5th season would be the one where they'd starting winding things down.

EDIT: And it's up there. The show is still amazingly fresh, so i don't think we'll be feeling that way anytime soon. Unless they screw up this season.

bud

season 4 was pretty great, dude.

the island disappearing like that
is the most awesome, craziest series ending ever.

This idea that we hate Skylar because she is a woman is so friggin' asinine.

Walter is the protagonist of the show. No matter how horrible a human being he is, we still support him and we root for him. Skylar's character is written as someone who is, for lack of better word, impeding Walter. That is why we hate her, not because she's a fucking woman.

Same thing with the Sopranos. Tony is a piece of shit. He repeatedly cheated on his wife, killed many people, and was a douche bag. But you know what? I loved him, I never wanted to see him dead and supported his character. That is the way these protagonists are written.

Mileena

Banned
tycoonheart said:

Walter is the protagonist of the show. No matter how horrible a human being he is, we still support him and we root for him. Skylar's character is written as someone who is, for lack of better word, impeding Walter. That is why we hate her, not because she's a fucking woman.
Nah, she's just a bitch. I don't hate the other chick half as much as I hate Skylar.

Drewsky

corkscrewblow said:
Nah, she's just a bitch. I don't hate the other chick half as much as I hate Skylar.
Yup, like I've said, I actually like Marie after S3.

Now let's stop talking about Skylar so much. It's harshing this thread's buzz.

LM4sure

Banned
overcast said:
Season 5 sounds like the perfect time to end it.

Have they discussed when the show will possibly end? Walter has to die at some point. He's been dragging this cancer out for years.

Cipherr

tycoonheart said:

Thank you. So fucking sick of these asses claiming I dislike Skylar as a character because shes a woman, or because we all have some psychological bias against women in television shows. Fucking idiots. Her character is written that way.

Firestorm said:
I like the show. I dislike Walt. He's a selfish douchebag.

I find that very interesting.

I don't think I would be able to stomach a show if I hated its main character. How do you watch through the show when Walter is clearly the focus of it?

Firestorm

tycoonheart said:
I find that very interesting.

I don't think I would be able to stomach a show if I hated its main character. How do you watch through the show when Walter is clearly the focus of it?
He's a great character. He's just not a likeable one. Like I said, I feel much more sympathetic towards Jesse.

Zeliard

What probably rubbed a lot of people the wrong way about Skylar is how passive-aggressive she was. That's never an attractive trait. I thought her big scene where she just finally comes out with it all and systematically dismantles Walt's lies was pretty great.

xbhaskarx

tycoonheart said:
Walter is the protagonist of the show. No matter how horrible a human being he is, we still support him and we root for him.

Same thing with the Sopranos. Tony is a piece of shit.

But you know what? I loved him, I never wanted to see him dead and supported his character. That is the way these protagonists are written.

So does that mean you don't want to see Walter dead? Dude has terminal lung cancer, since the pilot episode.
If Walt is not dead or dying by the series finale something has gone terribly wrong with this show.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
xbhaskarx said:
So does that mean you don't want to see Walter dead? Dude has terminal lung cancer, since the pilot episode.
If Walt is not dead or dying by the series finale something has gone terribly wrong with this show.
They could also have him survive the cancer while Jesse and his family are the ones who are dead or locked up due to his decisions. This show loves its pyrrhic victories

LM4sure said:
Have they discussed when the show will possibly end? Walter has to die at some point. He's been dragging this cancer out for years.

As per Vince Gilligan (note, from a 2 year old article): My pitch to AMC was, basically, we're going to take Mr. Chips and gradually transform him into Scarface.

Interview with Vince Gilligan, creator of "Breaking Bad." Has Walt broken too bad?

From the tag line in the ad "He is the danger", it sounds like we are getting closer to the "Walt Montana" version of the character.

As for the cancer, he's in remission. The purpose of the cancer story was to give him a reason to "break bad". Now that he's better, medically, but continues to cook says a lot about his current motivations. It's no longer about just leaving something for his family once he's gone, now it's about his pride for his product and the recognition (something he was robbed of by that guy Eliot from S1).

Amir0x

Banned
tycoonheart said:

Same thing with the Sopranos. Tony is a piece of shit. He repeatedly cheated on his wife, killed many people, and was a douche bag. But you know what? I loved him, I never wanted to see him dead and supported his character. That is the way these protagonists are written.
Cipherr said:
Thank you. So fucking sick of these asses claiming I dislike Skylar as a character because shes a woman, or because we all have some psychological bias against women in television shows. Fucking idiots. Her character is written that way.

This is such a lame excuse for disliking a character acting like any sensible person would in the situation and represents such a lack of, well, thinking on the part of the intelligent viewer that it's almost shocking to reply to. And that is absolutely NOT how the show is written, not even remotely, so I hope you have a better understanding of the show then you're letting on.

You're essentially implying that because a character may be a protagonist, no matter how bad they are, the viewer will automatically want them to succeed and any character that inhibits his/her wrong doing will be seen as someone to hate. Sorry, I don't buy it. Not only am I smarter than such retarded non-thinking analysis of a show, but I frequently watch shows with morally bankrupt main characters whose female or otherwise characters "inhibit" them and I think "you know, good for them" because THAT'S WHAT YOU DO. And I've seen a few others on the Skylar team too, because she's doing the logical and, frankly, honorable thing (up until now - seems she's going over board by the end of Season 3). In any situation 99% of people would not only react the same way they'd go further, they'd probably call the police. And 99% of people would applaud her.

Just because a character is the primary character does not mean you have to root for them. They're called character studies for a reason. And, more importantly, disliking a character's moral center does not equate disliking watching the character. I think Walt is a horrible human being, the same as I think Don Draper is. I don't root for them to succeed. But I love the way they're written precisely because this is the case. They're fascinating to watch. It's the literal deconstruction of the American Dream in both cases, as also with the case of Tony Soprano, and it's so throwaway to just say "well of course we hate these characters they're in the way of the main character!"

I assume as adults we can think about the characters and their logical actions with more depth than the kiddie pool

it's a TV show though.. not reality

it's escapist entertainment

Firestorm said:
He's a great character. He's just not a likeable one. Like I said, I feel much more sympathetic towards Jesse.

walt's not likable? really?

Amir0x said:
aaaaand that doesn't change anything

It changes everything.

If I came across a real life story identical to Breaking Bad in the news tomorrow, I'd say Walter White is a douche bag and that he deserves to be put to death.

The difference here is that it IS a TV show, and that the writers have written Walter White as a sympathetic character. Its really no different than liking your character in GTA.

Its like watching Taken and being happy that Liam Neeson's character is a badass for killing a buttload of people while rescuing his daughter. In real life, I wouldn't suggest anyone to take the law into his own hands and go all vigilante.

You're essentially implying that because a character may be a protagonist, no matter how bad they are, the viewer will automatically want them to succeed and any character that inhibits his/her wrong doing will be seen as someone to hate.

It also depends on how the show, the director, the writers are portraying this protagonist. Like I said, they have written him to be a very sympathetic character, from my view point at least.

Amir0x

Banned
tycoonheart said:
It changes everything.

If I came across a real life story identical to Breaking Bad in the news tomorrow, I'd say Walter White is a douche bag and that he deserves to be put to death.

The difference here is that it IS a TV show, and that the writers have written Walter White as a sympathetic character. Its really no different than liking your character in GTA.

it doesn't change a single thing. Even the show's creators consistently said that even though there are moments of hyperrealism, they'd like to think the show is based in reality. They're drawing on reality to create their intense scenarios. But as with the best tv shows, these are meant to reflect on our every day lives and allow us to analyze people in their best or worst situations.

You guys are not only clearly failing to analyze what the content of the actual show is, but you're drawing shit from thin air. HOW is Walt sympathetic? He ruins the lives of everyone around him and he does it for selfish reasons. Because he got cancer? That's an excuse? The show's writers certainly seem to have no illusions about the horrible person Walt is and have said so in interview after interview. Why do you?

I have no sympathy for a man who knowingly goes head first into a world with complete disregard for everyone he loves and frankly it says more about the person who would feel sympathetic for such an individual than it does about me. I say the same thing for people who are 'sympathetic' about Don Draper.

tycoonheart said:
The difference here is that it IS a TV show, and that the writers have written Walter White as a sympathetic character.

Have we been watching the same television show? Walt is one of the least sympathetic characters on Breaking Bad and has been since the very beginning of the series.

Amir0x said:
it doesn't change a single thing. Even the show's creators consistently said that even though there are moments of hyperrealism, they'd like to think the show is based in reality. They're drawing on reality to create their intense scenarios. But as with the best tv shows, these are meant to reflect on our every day lives and allow us to analyze people in their best or worst situations.

If they really wanted us to analyze Walter in that fashion, they would've shown his actions from different vantage point.

You guys are not only clearly failing to analyze what the content of the actual show is, but you're drawing shit from thin air. HOW is Walt sympathetic? He ruins the lives of everyone around him and he does it for selfish reasons. Because he got cancer? That's an excuse? The show's writers certainly seem to have no illusions about the horrible person Walt is and have said so in interview after interview. Why do you?

How is Walt sympathetic? Lets see, on the very first episode of the show we are told that he has cancer. He is working two jobs to support his fucking family. He is a brilliant chemist who should've been sitting on millions of dollars, but he got fucked out of it. He's got an autistic kid. Seriously, he's not a sympathetic character?

I have no sympathy for a man who knowingly goes head first into a world with complete disregard for everyone he loves and frankly it says more about the person who would feel sympathetic for such an individual than it does about me. I say the same thing for people who are 'sympathetic' about Don Draper.

Sure, in real life what you say holds true. This is a TV show, like the guy above said... its escapism. Even with that said, the show has clearly outlined why he did exactly what he's doing.

Zeliard

Jack Scofield said:
Have we been watching the same television show? Walt is one of the least sympathetic characters on Breaking Bad and has been since the very beginning of the series.

Well, they gave Walt terminal lung cancer, so they are trying to make him sympathetic to some degree. But he certainly commits some fairly heinous acts and they seem to increase as time goes on.

This debate has been had in Dexter threads as well. Very similar argument there about Dexter the character and what his ultimate fate should be.

I dislike Skylar because she is hypocrite and willing to overlook and even engage in Ted's white collar crime while chastising Walt with the same breath. We also aren't shown any of her presumably redeeming values as the show is for the most part presented from Walt's perspective. Not to mention she is a pretty negligent mother on top of her willingness to engage in illegal enterprises.

Firestorm

Walt was a sympathetic character in my eyes at the beginning of the show. He's far beyond that now.

Don Draper I'm split on.

Dexter I have full sympathy for and root for.

Drewsky

tycoonheart said:
How is Walt sympathetic? Lets see, on the very first episode of the show we are told that he has cancer. He is working two jobs to support his fucking family. He is a brilliant chemist who should've been sitting on millions of dollars, but he got fucked out of it. He's got an autistic kid. Seriously, he's not a sympathetic character?
Exactly! Although his kid is not autistic.

I think the perfect time to sum up why Walt is a sympathetic character (even though he is a villain who has made decisions that are absolutely abhorrent) is after his "fugue state" when he comes clean to the psychiatrist that he is forced to see. The psychiatrist asked, "Why did you run?" And Walt says something along the lines of: I have a son with cerebral palsy, I am underemployed as a chemistry teacher, all my friends have gone on to do better things than me, and I only have 6 months to live. How can you not identify at least a little with that? He's a man that has been walked all over his entire life, and now he is breaking bad. Very, very, bad; but at his core, I can still find a lot of things to relate to. I would never make the decisions or take the same actions that Walter has, but I can still relate to him.

Amirox, it's frustrating that you say that anyone that sympathizes with Walter doesn't understand the show, like you have some kind of holier-than-thou attitude about it. Art is subjective. Why not just accept different opinions? I can understand why you think that Walt is an awful human, and question liking him. I'm not going to say you "don't get it" just because you have a different take on it than me.

I agree with people saying that Walt was more sympathetic in the beginning. For instance, I absolutely could not sympathize with him letting Jane die. But even at the end of S3 I could find a kernel of something to sympathize with, I still liked Walt.

Zeliard

I think Walt was more sympathetic earlier on when his intent was clearly and only to provide for his family after he learned he had cancer. But after he had half a mill and went back to the game and became a rougher presence, he started - I think purposefully - becoming harder to identify with.

Skylar herself is also less sympathetic since she's now playing the Carmela Soprano role and is basically a knowing accomplice to her husband, which makes some of her previous outbursts hypocritical (which makes her more interesting). The show seems like it's heading for a Walt downfall of major proportions but I don't doubt they'll throw some curve balls.

Firestorm said:
Walt was a sympathetic character in my eyes at the beginning of the show. He's far beyond that now.

Don Draper I'm split on.

Dexter I have full sympathy for and root for.

What about Ari Gold?

House?

Tony Soprano? Christopher Moltisanti?

Jack Bauer?

Judging TV characters by applying "real life morals" isn't the way I watch TV shows or movies. I root for characters who I find appealing, for whatever reasons they may be.

Drewsky said:
Exactly! Although his kid is not autistic.

I think the perfect time to sum up why Walt is a sympathetic character (even though he is a villain who has made decisions that are absolutely abhorrent) is after his "fugue state" when he comes clean to the psychiatrist that he is forced to see. The psychiatrist asked, "Why did you run?" And Walt says something along the lines of: I have a son with cerebral palsy, I am underemployed as a chemistry teacher, all my friends have gone on to do better things than me, and I only have 6 months to live. How can you not identify at least a little with that? He's a man that has been walked all over his entire life, and now he is breaking bad. Very, very, bad; but at his core, I can still find a lot of things to relate to. I would never make the decisions or take the same actions that Walter has, but I can still relate to him.

Amirox, it's frustrating that you say that anyone that sympathizes with Walter doesn't understand the show, like you have some kind of holier-than-thou attitude about it. Art is subjective. Why not just accept different opinions? I can understand why you think that Walt is an awful human, and question liking him. I'm not going to say you "don't get it" just because you have a different take on it than me.

I agree with people saying that Walt was more sympathetic in the beginning. For instance, I absolutely could not sympathize with him letting Jane die. But even at the end of S3 I could find a kernel of something to sympathize with, I still liked Walt.

Sorry, cerebral palsy. Not autism, my mistake.

You're on point with your post though. To me, the first friggin episode pretty much says... "We're going to follow this guy, who's having a very very shitty life. He will do a lot of horrible things but by god, you will root for him." I happen to think that is the writers/creators intention.

BamYouHaveAids said:
I dislike Skylar because she is hypocrite and willing to overlook and even engage in Ted's white collar crime while chastising Walt with the same breath. We also aren't shown any of her presumably redeeming values as the show is for the most part presented from Walt's perspective.

i couldn't agree more with this. people in glass houses and all...

Nert

My assumption was that Walt was intended to become an increasingly less sympathetic character as the series progressed. He's much more sympathetic in the first few episodes than he was at the end of season 3.

Drewsky

tycoonheart said:
I happen to think that is the writers/creators intention.
Definitely. You will never convince me that Walt was not written to be at least a little sympathetic (up until this point, S4 remains to be seen). I mean I find Walt to be more sympathetic than Don Draper, simply because he is written as more sympathetic, even though he is doing things that are morally way worse. This is all my opinion of course, maybe I just find Walt more sympathetic because he is a nerd that's been walked all over his whole life instead of a beastly 60s-era womanizer. I can obviously relate more to one than the other.

Chaser

I think some are giving Walt the benefit of his circumstances. He was not "stepped on" or cast out of his Nobel chemistry team, he left for a completely selfish reason. He could not handle working with a partner whom he perceives "stole" his girlfriend (and from what little we know of the situation, it seems just as likely that Walt left Gretchen and not the other way around). A large part of Walt's under-achievement in life is his own prideful doing. It's the same selfish reasoning and justification that we see him use as he falls farther down the drug-dealing rabbit hole throughout the rest of the first two seasons.

Of course, having a son with cerebral palsy and being diagnosed with terminal lung cancer are terrible coincidences, and I agree that Walt does start the show as a fairly sympathetic - if misguided or naive - character. But he certainly doesn't stay that way for very long. At the same time, he is an incredibly interesting and at times complex character, and so it's a joy to watch whether or not I think he's a noble or likable protagonist.

Amir0x

Banned
BamYouHaveAids said:
I dislike Skylar because she is hypocrite and willing to overlook and even engage in Ted's white collar crime while chastising Walt with the same breath. We also aren't shown any of her presumably redeeming values as the show is for the most part presented from Walt's perspective. Not to mention she is a pretty negligent mother on top of her willingness to engage in illegal enterprises.

I deleted your ridiculous thread derailing commentary - so this'll be your only warning in that regard. You've had a trillion bans from a billion mods before for this type of behavior and I won't tolerate it. Respond to points being made and don't invent scenarios.

Skylar entertained the idea of the white collar crime and fucking Ted and all that as a sort of recompense for the shit Walt was doing to her. Because Walt is the least sympathetic character on television, all his actions have systematically destroyed the people around him. As we have seen in the way he has ultimately corrupted Jesse to the way he is now, judging by the way the show is going, convinced Skylar to join him on his dishonest, criminal enterprise, everyone he loves turns to shit because of his influence.

It's interesting reading this thread.

We are supposed to feel sympathetic for Walt because

1. He has cancer
2. He has a kid with cerebral palsy
3. He is a failed chemist. Which, by the way, he almost certainly did to himself.

In fact his life is a product of his pride stepping in the way of his success. Now it is his pride motivating him to be this horrible person. And yet he is, undeniably, a horrible, unsympathetic individual. He is selfish to a fault.

As though that somehow justifies turning into a sociopath monster who murders to hide his crimes and protect himself, destroys the moral core of those around him, lies to everyone he knows, creates a product so chemically pure that it likely kills people too, puts his entire family in danger. Hell the show even directly implied his actions were at least partly responsible for what happened to that plane that killed all those people.

The man is a fucking disaster. I'm supposed to be sympathetic to him because he has cancer? He isn't doing this for his family. Everything he does is for his pride, for himself. He does everything for selfish reasons. How is this in any way the least bit sympathetic?

Further, I don't know how Skylar is supposed to be negligent mother. She had a few cigarettes, also in response to the stress in her life. Everything else shows her to be practically doting. Much less compared to Walt. In the context of this conversation it makes no sense to hate Skylar and love Walt as a person, much less as a character written in the logical sense of her situation.

Drewsky said:

Because even the show's writers have directly stated such interpretations are wrong. Walt is not a sympathetic character.

Amir0x said:
Skylar entertained the idea of the white collar crime and fucking Ted and all that as a sort of recompense for the shit Walt was doing to her. Because Walt is the least sympathetic character on television, all his actions have systematically destroyed the people around him. As we have seen in the way he has ultimately corrupted Jesse to the way he is now, judging by the way the show is going, convinced Skylar to join him on his dishonest, criminal enterprise, everyone he loves turns to shit because of his influence.

Hah.

So you're basically implying that it is OKAY for Skylar to do horrible shit as a response to what Walter has done with her, but it isn't okay for Walt to do the shit that he did as a response to the horrible life he was leading? If you really want to bring your real life morals into TV shows, how about you apply the same morals to Skylar as well and mention how fucked up of an individual she is for doing that shit?

It's interesting reading this thread.

We are supposed to feel sympathetic for Walt because

1. He has cancer
2. He has a kid with cerebral palsy
3. He is a failed chemist. Which, by the way, he almost certainly did to himself.

How do you know he did it to himself? From Walter's perspective we're told that they fucked him over. Was there something specific that I missed that was said during the show? Or are you just assuming that since in your mind Walter brings everything to himself?

Further, I don't know how Skylar is supposed to be negligent mother. She had a few cigarettes, also in response to the stress in her life. Everything else shows her to be practically doting. Much less compared to Walt. In the context of this conversation it makes no sense to hate Skylar and love Walt as a person, much less as a character written in the logical sense of her situation.

She had cigarette while pregnant, AND after the baby was born. In a house with a cancer patient. She is neglegent.

You can't seem to apply your morals to Skylar, only Walt.

Zeliard

tycoonheart said:
She had cigarette while pregnant, AND after the baby was born. In a house with a cancer patient. She is neglegent.

You can't seem to apply your morals to Skylar, only Walt.

Skylar is using Walt's meth money for Hank so she has essentially transformed into Season 1 Walt.

Amir0x

Banned
tycoonheart said:

Well, let's talk about that. When the series started, Walt was the sympathetic one, and Jesse was, if not the bad one, then the one we didn't really trust or relate to. And now the roles have reversed, and Walt's the monster in need of judgment, and Jesse is more and more his victim.

We want to be as honest as we can be about a character who chooses a life of crime, who actively chooses to do bad instead of good. This character takes us where he takes us. I noticed in one of your postings where you quoted me about how this show is going to take Mr. Chips and turn him into Scarface. That's where it takes us. You can't be Scarface just on the surface. You have to be Scarface all the way through, right to your core. Otherwise, you're just pretending to be Scarface.

The character continues to surprise us, the writers, in the writer's room. "What would he do now?" "I think he would do this." "Maybe he should do this instead." It's a little hard to believe for folks who don't spend every waking moment in the writer's room plotting out a fictional character's life, but they do kind of come to life for us. They become, in a sense, separate from us. They demand certain moments and bits of behavior that we, in a sense, don't want to give them. It sounds a little precious to put it that way, but they do. If we're going to be honest about a guy who sets out to be a criminal, we have to see where it takes itself.

Walt really has, in our minds, too, turned into something of a monster, throughout this whole 20 episodes we've done so far. The conceit that he's doing this all for his family, has gone by the wayside quite a long time ago.

Not word for word but heavily implying he's not sympathetic at least not for a long while.

There was a video interview where Vince actually said "maybe we started him out a bit sympathetic but in my mind there's nothing sympathetic about him anymore. We want viewers to feel some empathy about the situation this family is in but, I don't think, sympathy is the right word." but I can't find the link right now.

tycoonheart said:
Hah.

So you're basically implying that it is OKAY for Skylar to do horrible shit as a response to what Walter has done with her, but it isn't okay for Walt to do the shit that he did as a response to the horrible life he was leading? If you really want to bring your real life morals into TV shows, how about you apply the same morals to Skylar as well and mention how fucked up of an individual she is for doing that shit?

Fuck no! Once she goes down that road, since her motivations would be selfish too (money), she'll be in the same boat. Up until this point she HAS been the sympathetic character of the show, unlike Walt.

That will change with Season 4 if the writers bring her down the road we expect.

And sorry the whole gosh a cigarette reasoning for Skylar being negligent is so absurd it's honestly not worth considering in a serious debate. It's a cigarette, not fucking meth, and she did it only a few times as a direct response to stressful stimulus received by Walt. Yes, it is wrong, but in this case it IS sympathetic and it is not for selfish reasons. There is such a world of difference between the two up until this point.

However, I fully expect that will change with S4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom