• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - Season 3 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

LM4sure said:
That Newsweek article was a great read. It was good to know that they don't plan on holding any punches. Vince Gilligan even says they may lose viewers as Walt becomse darker because people may not be able to sympathize with him anymore. I wonder if that is why they decided to keep Jesse alive past the first season. As Walt becomes less and less sympathetic, is Jesse supposed to be the one that viewers start to sympathize with? That would be quite the feat. I remember I detested that punk in the first season. But by the end of last season I felt bad for him.

Seems to be the way it's headed. Walt is becoming an increasingly corrupting influence on Jesse and basically transforming into the antagonist, while Jesse will continue to be the more centered one the audience can relate to.

Walt's been steadily rising to the top of the meth distribution world for the entire series so he's probably ultimately bound to take over Gus, perhaps at the end of the season, which could solidify him as the antagonist of the series. Protagonist to antagonist; it would be neat to see.

Air said:
I believe that Walt is a sympathetic character. Not necessarily the most sympathetic character, but sympathetic enough where the viewer can watch him on screen. You may not agree with him (you shouldn't) but spending so much time with him you WILL eventually start seeing things in his point of view, even if its a little. The point is, especially as the main character, Walt has to be sympathetic enough for the audience to watch. Its similar to the bugs bunny philosophy of if bugs just starts pranking a character out of nowhere, he's an asshole, but if the character obstructs bugs first, he ends up pranking the other character for 10 minutes. In theory, bugs bunny is an asshole, but he's not so much of an asshole as the other guy cause he's been stepped on already. Its similar to Walt. Is he a disgusting human being? Yeah, but he's placed in situations where the viewer will tend to side with him.

I generally think its all about context. If Walt is put in a situation where he's facing someone opposing him, but that someone is a bigger jerk than he is, we'll sympathize with Walt's decision a little more, even if it may be morally wrong to do so. The flip side is that Walt's decisions tend to be really stupid, and it let's the viewer take notice. "Yeah I can sympathize with you Walt but did you REALLY need to do that?" We tend to side with the underdog, which makes us easier to sympathize with Walt since he generally is the underdog, even if he put himself in that position.

Just my two cents.
EDIT: deleted some stuff

But I haven't watched the show since February, so I may be misremembering things
I believe the same. S3 was when Walt turned toward the dark side, a la Anakin Skywalker (I'm as hesitant as you would to bring up the prequels), but he has enough humanity at this point that the audience can understand his actions, however selfish. I predict S4 is when he completely transforms like Darth Vader into a criminal as evil as Gus.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
blahblah...blah said:
Well now I'm 100% convinced you're right.

EDIT: In the promo, he's in a room when he aims the gun. When he actually fires it in the new AMC promo, is he outside?
Nope. I guess I'm wrong

I've been searching the interwebs for Season 4 OT material and came across this: "Paper Planes" is a little overplayed at this point, but the video is pretty rad. Really nice job on the editing and it's a good refresher of how far the show has come in the first three seasons.

Also, if anyone has avatars, gifs, or anything else they want to chip in for the OP, send me a PM with info. I'll probably be posting a new thread sometime next week.

EDIT: Just to clarify, that isn't the video for Paper Planes - it's a Breaking Bad montage with Paper Planes as the soundtrack. :p

EDIT: I can't fucking read. Glad you'll be doing the OT.

EDIT 2: I don't know if we're allowed to discuss this here, but is it possible to acquire the audio commentary tracks for season 3 episodes somewhere? I got the BluRay delivered to the UK but it appears to be region locked :'(

Game-Biz

Just noticed that first episode of the season is directed by Adam Bernstein, who also directed Cat's in the Bag..., ...And the Bag's in the River, Mandala, ABQ, Caballo sin nombre, and Half Measures. Pretty much my favorite television director.

Drewsky

Game-Biz said:
Just noticed that first episode of the season is directed by Adam Bernstein, who also directed Cat's in the Bag..., ...And the Bag's in the River, Mandala, ABQ, Caballo sin nombre, and Half Measures. Pretty much my favorite television director.
And it's called
Box Cutter.
I think.

Zeliard said:
Seems to be the way it's headed. Walt is becoming an increasingly corrupting influence on Jesse and basically transforming into the antagonist, while Jesse will continue to be the more centered one the audience can relate to.

Walt's been steadily rising to the top of the meth distribution world for the entire series so he's probably ultimately bound to take over Gus, perhaps at the end of the season, which could solidify him as the antagonist of the series. Protagonist to antagonist; it would be neat to see.

That's an awesome theory and I hope you're right!

bud

this is never ever going to happen, obviously, but an episode written & directed by malick would make me a very happy man.

Vlad

bud said:
this is never ever going to happen, obviously, but an episode written & directed by malick would make me a very happy man.

If you're referring to this guy, I'd have to say, having suffered through Tree of Life this weekend, I hope that never happens.

xbhaskarx

bud said:

Are we just listing random filmmakers now? His style is totally different from that of this show... Would the episode be three hours long with long existential monologues narrated by the various characters?

ezekial45

Banned
Wikipedia has the names of the first three episodes.

1. Box cutter
2. Thirty-Eight Snub
3. Open House

The first two were referenced in the promotional pics and trailers.

Premiere party is tonight. Vince Gilligan rocking this t-shirt:

HhjD3.jpg

Wiggum2007

I am so frustrated that as far as I know episodes won't be streaming online after they air, I'm going to be out of the country for the entire duration of this season, argh! I'm going to have to do everything in my power to stay the fuck away from this thread.

Wiggum2007 said:
I am so frustrated that as far as I know episodes won't be streaming online after they air, I'm going to be out of the country for the entire duration of this season, argh! I'm going to have to do everything in my power to stay the fuck away from this thread.
A friend of mine is in the same camp. He introduced me to the show and is so pissed he leaves the week before S4 starts.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
First seven episode titles:
4x01 Box Cutter 7/17/2011
4x02 Thirty-Eight Snub 7/24/2011
4x03 Open House 7/31/2011
4x04 Bullet Points 8/07/2011
4x05 Shotgun 8/14/2011
4x06 Cornered 8/21/2011
4x07 Problem Dog 8/28/2011

- TV Guide with a few tidbits from last night's premiere
Breaking Bad Stars Brace for Final Season

As AMC's Emmy-award winning drama Breaking Bad prepares to fire up its fourth season on July 17, the show's stars came out for the premiere to reflect on a very realistic scenario: that Season 5 could be its very last. Even though creator Vince Gilligan only hinted at this possibility in an interview earlier this week without directly confirming it, it appears the actors have accepted the fact that the series will end next year.

"We all knew that with this kind of story, there would be a finite time that we could keep it going because the guy's got terminal cancer," Anna Gunn (Skyler White) tells TV Guide Magazine. "We all knew that, but it's a great job and to hear that it's coming to a close is of course a little sad. It's the right thing and [Vince] knows the right time to bring it to a close."

"It's very sad but I think it's very smart to end it on a good note," adds Aaron Paul (Jesse Pinkman). "As Vince would say, you don't want to be the last person at the party. I think the show has been so great from Day 1 and you should end it on a good note."

Fans should rest assured, however, that this fourth season isn't holding back on the suspense and action they've come to expect from Breaking Bad. During last night's screening of the season premiere, an audience member required medical attention after a particularly gruesome scene, interrupting the episode for a few tense minutes. "This season is the biggest one yet," says Paul. "I think it's the best one yet, most intense, darkest and an amazing, crazy ride."
Note: They aren't saying that S4 will be the last season. They're just talking hypothetically about if S5 was the last season, which is something that Gilligan has hinted at in the past.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I'd be happy if it went to S5 or S6. Either way I have faith in them

Things that need to happen before the show ends:

Hank finds out about Walt
Skylar ends up in jail or Walt Jr. ends up a meth addict or both
Jesse finds out about Walt being responsible for Jane's death
Jesse kills Walt, Walt kills Jesse - or one is indirectly responsible for the death of the other.

Make it happen, Vince.

ezekial45

Banned
Fans should rest assured, however, that this fourth season isn't holding back on the suspense and action they've come to expect from Breaking Bad. During last night's screening of the season premiere, an audience member required medical attention after a particularly gruesome scene, interrupting the episode for a few tense minutes. "This season is the biggest one yet," says Paul. "I think it's the best one yet, most intense, darkest and an amazing, crazy ride."

Oh god, i can't wait! :O

dave is ok said:
I'd be happy if it went to S5 or S6. Either way I have faith in them

Things that need to happen before the show ends:

Hank finds out about Walt
Skylar ends up in jail or Walt Jr. ends up a meth addict or both
Jesse finds out about Walt being responsible for Jane's death
Jesse kills Walt, Walt kills Jesse - or one is indirectly responsible for the death of the other.

Make it happen, Vince.
I prefer the time travel theory

xbhaskarx

Not sure if this quote from Vince Gilligan has been posted...

We asked how he and the show's other writers approach the question of staying true the show's rather dark story while at the same time having Walt remain at least a little sympathetic to the audience. Here's what he said:

"That's interesting. It's super important to me that people stay interested in Walt. It's not quite as important to me that people continue to root for him. That may sound kind of like splitting hairs, but this show is something of an experiment in that we're taking our good guy and turning him into a bad guy throughout the course of the series. To that end, if we're going to be truthful to that mandate ... and we're going to be courageous about it, then what we need to do is continue to travel that path regardless of the outcome, regardless of the consequences.

"It seems to me that our fans are not monolithic; they don't think with one group mind. They all have different thresholds of tolerance for Walt's bad behavior. And probably a few folks here and there -- knock on wood, I hope not too many -- but a few have probably tuned out already. They say, 'I can't get behind this guy anymore, I can't root for him.' But other folks hopefully still can root for him, and still others I hope would say, 'You know what? He's kind of a real bastard now, and he threatens to get worse still, but he's still interesting.' All that really matters to me at the end of the day is that he remains interesting, remains an interesting character study. So that's what I'm hoping."​

- AMC Video: Breaking Bad's Cast and Crew on Unanswered Questions From Season 3 *presumably some spoilers*
Will Walt and Skyler purchase the car wash? Will Hank ever walk again? Did Jesse shoot Gale? Season 3 left viewers with a host of unanswered questions, and in this new video interview, Breaking Bad's cast and crew discuss some of the most suspenseful cliffhangers leading to Season 4. "The writers put themselves into an inextricable corner," Bryan Cranston warns. "There's no way out." Or is there? Only the new episodes will tell, but for now you can check out the video to hear insights from Cranston, Aaron Paul, Bob Odenkirk, Giancarlo Esposito, Betsy Brandt and Executive Producer Michelle MacLaren.

xbhaskarx said:
Not sure if this quote from Vince Gilligan has been posted...
Haven't seen that one yet. Thanks for posting it.

AMC said:
Breaking Bad Late-Night Encores Start July 5

xzO6D.jpg

If you're a new Breaking Bad viewer and are wondering if you still have time to catch up on the series Newsweek calls "the best program on TV, period," the answer is simple: You do. Starting Monday night, Jul. 5 at 2AM | 1C, AMC begins a two-week late-night Breaking Bad marathon, airing all 33 episodes from the show's first three seasons at a rate of 3 to 4 episodes per night. This is what large pots of coffee and DVRs were created for. Click here to see a complete schedule of episode airings.
IMDB has most of the schedule up here, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom