• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cardi B- Bodak Yellow now the #1 Song in America (Billboard Hot 100)

Didn't Lauryn quasi slutshame Lil Kim and Foxy Brown while having an affair with Wyclef? I can't take her wokefu seriously.

And having most of her lyrics and music written by other people. I like Lauryn Hill but it's hilarious seeing people put her on a pedestal and attack other female artists.

And having most of her lyrics and music written by other people. I like Lauryn Hill but it's hilarious seeing people put her on a pedestal and attack other female artists.

My wife went to a Lauryn Hill concert a couple years ago and it was a complete shit show. Drunk on stage, slurring words, couldn't sing, had to sit down halfway through, no energy. Shameful.

Violater

boy hill's last album dropped almost 2 decades ago

lol what the fuck

"a little bit less racist than azealia banks" might as well be donald trump, that woman is legit insane

Cardi is about as racist as any individual from the hood. Hell, even a racially homogeneous suburb.

Did you read the OP?
Grown ass man here by the way.

tbm24

You buggin, Tego just had that one great run that summer when el abayarde was poppin.

Tego had a waaaaaaaaaaaay better run than just that one summer. Fuck that summer I was in DR and my parents shouted down my cousins for putting that filth on the radio. Year later they were all over his music.

Miseducation is top-5 greatest album from a female artist of all time and you can't really dispute that.

Some people here need to stop comparing the artists as a proxy for refuting that because the people bringing up Lauryn are talking about her music.

I guess it makes sense though because if you stick to the music itself there really is no argument.

tbm24

Miseducation is top-5 greatest album from a female artist of all time and you can't really dispute that.

Some people here need to stop comparing the artists as a proxy for refuting that because the people bringing up Lauryn are talking about her music.

I guess it makes sense though because if you stick to the music itself there really is no argument.
There is no argument because there’s no comparing different types of music. It’s why bringing up Lauryn Hill to begin with serves no reason.

There is no argument because there’s no comparing different types of music. It’s why bringing up Lauryn Hill to begin with serves no reason.
Uhh, the whole reason this is newsworthy is because she's the first female rapper with no feature to hit number 1 since....... Lauryn Hill?

tbm24

Uhh, the whole reason this is newsworthy is because she's the first female rapper with no feature to hit number 1 since....... Lauryn Hill?
Fine, instead I’ll say, to me, comparing both as artists and their music serves no purpose. They couldn’t be more different and that fact doesn’t do anything to take away from Bodak Yellow being number 1 currently.

NaviLink

I had never heard of this girl until this thread. I listened to the song. It's the most generic beat possible with mediocre rapping on top of it. Hard to believe this reached #1.

Reminds me of that video where Snoop Dogg makes fun of this kind of rap that all sounds the same.

I had never heard of this girl until this thread. I listened to the song. It's the most generic beat possible with mediocre rapping on top of it. Hard to believe this reached #1.

Reminds me of that video where Snoop Dogg makes fun of this kind of rap that all sounds the same.

C7S0ouqVAAANACj.jpg

Fine, instead I’ll say, to me, comparing both as artists and their music serves no purpose. They couldn’t be more different and that fact doesn’t do anything to take away from Bodak Yellow being number 1 currently.
The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill is an out and out masterpiece and Doo Wop is a great representation of that album.

The fact that it was the last female featureless number 1 absolutely does take away from Bodak Yellow. It was a far, far better song and Lauryn is a far, far better artist.

The song isn't really my thing, but I'm low-key obsessed with Cardi's style and mannerisms.
Like I fuckin' love her nails, her voice, and her clothes n' stuff.
She's one of those fierce ass glamorous ladies that give birth to, like, 20 gay boy drag queens that literally want to be her, and I love it.

lenovox1

The song isn't really my thing, but I'm low-key obsessed with Cardi's style and mannerisms.
Like I fuckin' love her nails, her voice, and her clothes n' stuff.
She's one of those fierce ass glamorous ladies that give birth to, like, 20 gay boy drag queens that literally want to be her, and I love it.

Cardi is probably more influenced by New York drag culture than the other way around, but yes. This song, her persona, and her look are drag/ball/New York Hip Hop all in one.

Cardi is probably more influenced by New York drag culture than the other way around, but yes. This song, her persona, and her look are drag/ball/New York Hip Hop all in one.

Oh yeah I would't be surprised.
There are a noticeable amount of non-lgbt east coast women who run into drag ball culture and get inspired by it in some way.

- Plays song on youtube
- First 10 seconds: "Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me, If you wanted to "
- Closes tab forever

The fuck? Is this mainstream music these days? That's fucking dusgusting.

Gotta say, this was my first reaction too when I watched it today for the first time. Though not sure I would call it disgusting, just surprised this was the song that landed #1 and getting all the hype. Perhaps I'm just getting old.

Though I have been staring at that Cheetah in the video for 5 minutes. When it growls at the beginning, do you guys think it's an enhanced CGI effect? It almost looks like a Cheetah with a snapchat filter.

xJavonta

Banned
You really can’t not like the song. It’s catchy as hell

- Plays song on youtube
- First 10 seconds: "Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me, If you wanted to "
- Closes tab forever

The fuck? Is this mainstream music these days? That's fucking dusgusting.
This is a corny post and honestly feels like a desperate attempt at being edgy. Please, enlighten us on what you classify as “real” music

bigpumbaa

Music is highly subjective.

Generally love all sorts. Don’t love this. Not catchy to my ear, borderline annoying in some places.

Get the appeal tho. Some of the Writing is dope. She’s like Ariana Grande and nicki Minaj wrapped in 2017.

Glad people are enjoying themselves.

That’s one angry cheetah.

____

You really can’t not like the song. It’s catchy as hell

This is a corny post and honestly feels like a desperate attempt at being edgy. Please, enlighten us on what you classify as “real” music

Clearly Beethoven.

Also, yes, that Spanish version bangs and I know (almost) no Spanish.

Top Bottom