• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNBC: US military has launched more than 50 missiles aimed at Syria: NBC News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is he engaging war with Assad? Congress never gave him that authority. That's illegal if this is the case.

i believe the radical compromises to checks and balances on the war-waging process that were made in the wake of 9-11 have not been repealed.

who would even be in charge of suing to decide if this was unconstitutional? any citizen/group with the cash to fund it?

Primus

CBS News reporting that Trump will give a statement from Mar-A-Lago a little later, as he's currently meeting with the Chinese President Xi Jinping.

Seems to me like this is timed to give Trump something to thump his chest about in front of President Xi Jinping.

ironcreed

Banned
What a fucking trigger happy bunch of idiots. More death and destruction in a country that has already been destroyed and mired down in yet another country in the Middle East where Russia is also deployed.

tbm24

That's a good point, and I know next to nothing about what's required to attack a sovereign nation, but how come he can do this without checks from congress?

Volimar

Well that's expensive.

Also we very nearly did this in August 2013 after that one big chemical attack, I was on one of the ships out there that would have fired tomahawks had we gotten Obama's order. Guess we are seeing a major difference in the way Trump handles things versus Obama.

Obama pulled back because Assad agreed to hand over his stockpile of chemical weapons. I think he might have missed a few...

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
I wonder what this thread would look like in the alternate reality where Hillary won. Because she has come out and said she would do this. In addition to no-fly zones for Russia.

LifEndz

60 tomahawks? Shit. Did he even bother to alert our allies? I know republican members of congress will lie and say they were told.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I wonder what this thread would look like in the alternate reality where Hillary won. Because she has come out and said she would do this. In addition to no-fly zones for Russia.

Keep lost in your irrelevant fantasies while the world around you burns.

Magus1234

That was fast, wtf?

Trump: We might have to do something to Syria

Lackey: OK, but we need to think this one thr....

Trump:
R3.gif

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I truly wonder who even knew about this.

GOP's in Congress is gonna lie their asses off aren't they

Wow Hillary called it, seems they're targeting air fields which is actually quite smart in terms of impact of keeping syrian planes out of the air while reducing civilian casualties.

Volimar

CBS News reporting that Trump will give a statement from Mar-A-Lago a little later, as he's currently meeting with the Chinese President Xi Jinping.

Seems to me like this is timed to give Trump something to thump his chest about in front of President Xi Jinping.

Trump wasn't even at the White House for this? What the ever living fuck.

Tagyhag

Did we just declare war on Syria and Russia?

Why am I in DC if this is the case.

No?

Some of you guys are panicking way too early and you're making the other people panic.

Calm your shit down. Russia isn't going to nuke us just because we targeted airfields that were the source of chemical attacks.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
So maybe jumping the gun, but in case there is a draft for all these graves Trump wants filled, who wants to make a neogaf military meet up where we can all whine about being killed together?

Gestahl

She said lt like literally a couple of hours ago too, and yet you still have people rushing in to make fools of themselves

Foffy

Banned
I remember how people anti-Hillary specifically said they voted against her because she'd start conflict in Syria.

I wonder what those people feel at this moment...

So maybe jumping the gun, but in case there is a draft for all these graves Trump wants filled, who wants to make a neogaf military meet up where we can all whine about being killed together?

I would choose execution or prison over being part of the military, especially Donald Trump's military.

Of course, as someone interested in Zen and Vedanta, I guess I could use religious/spiritual reasons to deny violence. Get me in a room with an officer and we'll watch some Jiddu Krishnamurti and I'll make my case. ;)

Giganteus

Holy shit that was fast

Im not sure if I support this or not to be honest. I dont agree with Trump on anything but fuck assad its time to go
This has nothing to do with Assad going, though. It's for Trump to look tough and responsive to red lines. This does little.

ElRenoRaven

The funny thing is that you know had this been Obama doing this Republicans would be calling for his head on a platter.

Why the fuck is he in Mar-A-Lago when this shit is going on? Holy Fuck, this is fucking unbelievable, dude's relaxing like a goddamn king in his fucking club when he might have just started a war!

Syncytia

Keep in mind ya'll, this is pretty small compared to options people have been talking about. Wait for further developments before freaking out completely.

Well that's expensive.

Also we very nearly did this in August 2013 after that one big chemical attack, I was on one of the ships out there that would have fired tomahawks had we gotten Obama's order. Guess we are seeing a major difference in the way Trump handles things versus Obama.

Well, Congress was screaming at Obama to do something. He asked Congress for authorization and suddenly they we're very quiet. Politically, it was the best move Obama could make. Had Obama done anything, it would have been a shit storm from the GOP. And it was the best move because Congressional approval is needed for war... we kind of need to get back to that.

Why the fuck is he in Mar-A-Lago when this shit is going on? Holy Fuck, this is fucking unbelievable, dude's relaxing like a goddamn king in his fucking club when he might have just started a war!

The president could literally do this from anywhere he happens to be. Anyway, I think it will be interesting to see his demeanor over the next few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom