• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNBC: US military has launched more than 50 missiles aimed at Syria: NBC News

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMax

CNN reporting the airfield was the source of the chemical attack and this was an effort to disable its operations.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Oh

85mI6q7.jpg

Fucking clockwork. For every action he takes, there has been a tweet.

I wonder what this thread would look like in the alternate reality where Hillary won. Because she has come out and said she would do this. In addition to no-fly zones for Russia.

pretty much identical (in terms of fear). "Basically-republican levels of hawkish" was a common criticism of her. though there'd probably been a request for congressional approval if things were at all legally dubious.

Laekon

What are the chances of killing a Russian advisor? And are we now fighting the people fighting ISIS making Trump an ally of ISIS?

Boke1879

But for real. Did we just declare war on Syria?

You don't just bomb their airfields and just say "It was just a message".

This is the beginnings of taking out the Assad regime imo.

Not quite as terrifying with more details coming out. Still, what the fuck.

Just from a political standpoint, he just betrayed one of his biggest campaign promises. Sub 30% approval incoming...

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
No?

Some of you guys are panicking way too early and you're making the other people panic.

Calm your shit down. Russia isn't going to nuke us just because we targeted airfields that were the source of chemical attacks.

Yeah, hoping this is just a precision strike.

thefro

You know you're fucked when even the people on /r/the_donald are freaking out.

Hopefully this at least gets the Russian bots/troll farms/RT/fake news sites to start bashing Trump.

That's a big part of his online support base.

GutsOfThor

CBS News reporting that Trump will give a statement from Mar-A-Lago a little later, as he's currently meeting with the Chinese President Xi Jinping.

Seems to me like this is timed to give Trump something to thump his chest about in front of President Xi Jinping.

This is an excellent point. This guy is so insecure that it wouldn't surprise if he did it to intimidate Xi Jinping.

pigeon

Banned
I wonder what this thread would look like in the alternate reality where Hillary won. Because she has come out and said she would do this. In addition to no-fly zones for Russia.

Not unilaterally, not without congressional approval, not without clear communication to the American people and to Assad, also not an irrational lunatic.

kirblar

I don't have a problem with the actual action being taken. I have absolutely zero confidence in Trump to actually be capable of handling the fallout from it, nor the diplomacy either prior to or after the strikes.

ZOONAMI

Wow Hillary called it, seems they're targeting air fields which is actually quite smart in terms of impact of keeping syrian planes out of the air while reducing civilian casualties.

Yep. This is a good response.

Just fucking wipe out their air power.

CBS News reporting that Trump will give a statement from Mar-A-Lago a little later, as he's currently meeting with the Chinese President Xi Jinping.

Seems to me like this is timed to give Trump something to thump his chest about in front of President Xi Jinping.

WHY is he not in WASHINGTON!!!?

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

The possibility of her doing this was one of the biggest critiques of her by liberals during the election. Trump litterally ran on "she's a war hawk" don't vote for her

clemenx

Banned
Good and necessary taking down the airfield that carried such horrendous attack.

What happens next depends on Russia.

Kyzer

Banned
Did we just declare war on Syria and Russia?

Why am I in DC if this is the case.

Russia already basically disowned them after the latest chemical attack. They convinced Assad not to fuck with Obama but I guess he took Trump less seriously

Arttemis

Marco Rubio's Tweets

40m
Marco Rubio‏ @marcorubio
"Be sure of this: The wicked will not go unpunished" Proverbs 11:21 #SyriaChemicalAttack

1h
Marco Rubio‏ @marcorubio
I know @POTUS was deeply moved by the images & stories emerging from #SyriaChemicalAttack

1h
Marco Rubio‏ @marcorubio
#Somethingshouldhappen

-----------

Why the fuck would a senator think it's a good idea to associate a strike against a Muslim dictator with Christian Bible scripture?

And why is he publicly foreshadowing an attack on Twitter?!?

Lime

It's absolutely insane that one person can approve this sort of action without collective approval, such as Congress.

Boke1879

Not quite as terrifying with more details coming out. Still, what the fuck.

Just from a political standpoint, he just betrayed one of his biggest campaign promises. Sub 30% approval incoming...

But it's quite terrifying. Do you think it ends here?

The man did a complete 180 on Assad. In a matter of 24 hours!

Volimar

Chris Hayes is retweeting this.

Micah Zenko‏ @MicahZenko 6m6 minutes ago
Cruise missiles can't "crater" runways, so any airfield attack would have been against aircraft, supporting infrastructure, maybe IADS.

Micah Zenko‏ @MicahZenko 4m4 minutes ago

You can only crater runways w/ air-dropped 500 or 2,000 bombs. These were most likely TLAMs with cluster bomblet munition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom